Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

thespaceinvader posted:

The glass cubes were a kickstarter exclusive I believe.

Yep.

quote:

If we reach this stretch goal you will be getting more glass cubes! You will get 20 extra glass cubes (5 for each player) to mark the spells you and the other players have already seen. You can take a look at the card again if you forget, and you can also use knowledge of who has seen which card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Is Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game worth getting? I'm worried about getting a set with a bunch of missing cards and also if the setup is long enough to drain any desire to play, by the time I get there. I'll also probably be playing solo the majority of the time.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

chemosh6969 posted:

Is Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game worth getting? I'm worried about getting a set with a bunch of missing cards and also if the setup is long enough to drain any desire to play, by the time I get there. I'll also probably be playing solo the majority of the time.

I don't think it would play well solo. Legendary is not the deepest game system and while Encounters is the best of them, the team play and shared storytelling experience are it's best improvements on the formula.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

chemosh6969 posted:

It's worth getting, but as Dr VG says it's better with more people than one - not just for the social aspect, but because the scenarios are designed around the Coordinate ability. If you do play solo, you should play with more than one deck. I play solo with three decks, which seems to be a good balance and may be the sweet spot for the game as a whole. A three-deck scenario takes me about 80 minutes including setup and breakdown, cutting down to 75 minutes if you have real people to help.

Regarding missing cards and setup: early runs did have a lot of missing cards, but that problem seems to have been sorted now. Initial setup of the box is a huge task as you need to divide out around 40 different decks, but plenty of dividers are provided. Once the box is set up properly, you should be able to set up or break down any scenario in five minutes. The hardest part is making sure the four Character decks that comprise the Barracks are thoroughly mixed so you don't draw all cards for one or two characters.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

T-Bone posted:

All the new Intrigues are definitely Hasbro so I would grab it for sure.

Yeah, but I am curious if only the base set has the "MADE IN USA!" sticker or if all of the lovely printings of Intrigue do too?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

jeeves posted:

Yeah, but I am curious if only the base set has the "MADE IN USA!" sticker or if all of the lovely printings of Intrigue do too?

Intrigue does as well.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

T-Bone posted:

Intrigue does as well.

Awesome, thanks!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
There's a big 25-50% off sale happening at my FLGS tomorrow, so I'm going to stop by in the hopes of spending my meager savings on some good games. I've recently joined a group that meets there every week, so I've been introduced to some games I've either never heard of or had never played.

I have Castles of Burgundy and like it, and was introduced to Bruges. It seems like it plays similar to Village (which I've never played, admittedly) and I really enjoyed it. I like Euro style games with a little conflict, which I find missing from Burgundy and enjoyed in Bruges. I played the card that gives away your threat markers, and ended up dumping like 15 coins between two people who were prepping for big buys because we all had 2 yellow threats so I gave them their third. I made a lot of friends with that one. I also played one game of Abyss, and really liked how seemingly strong the game plays given how simple the board is. I also finally got to play Dominion with more than just the two base sets, but I think the game is showing its age, or it just isn't as enticing as it was when I first got into the new wave of board games back in college. And yesterday before I left I watched a 4-player game of Euphoria, and holy poo poo does that game look like a Rube Goldberg machine painted with Lisa Frank's color wheel. After watching for twenty minutes I still had zero clue what was going on, but I was assured it "runs smoothly" and is fun.

Oh, and I was basically strong-armed into a game of Container. I'm really glad I was, because drat is it a fun game of just pure economy and player interaction. It was three newbies and two return players, so we immediately spent way too much on capital and hosed the economy. It was glorious.

Anyway, question: If I wanted to get a nice crunchy game for, say, 3-6 people, what's the hot poo poo nowadays? Preferably in the $30-$70 FLGS price range, though I guess if I can find a crazy sale price online I may be a dick and do that instead.

Games I have liked:
- Seasons
- Abyss
- Bruges
- Container
- Race for the Galaxy (owned)
- Power Grid (owned)

Games I haven't liked:
- Catan
- Munchkin (of course)
- Games with too much random chance or player exclusion (Bang! and that other wild west bar fight card game fit the latter)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If you like economic games you should dip your toe into 18xx. 1830 would be the natural starting point.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Played the weirdest game of Chaos in the Old World the other night. There was a new guy playing as Slaanesh, who came within 1 dial turn of winning, on turn 6. I played as Khorne, and was on track for an easy dial victory (something that hasn't happened for Khorne in months) until I had two turns in a row with 0 dial tokens--six or seven battles, and at least 20 dice, without a single hit. BUT, I managed to sneak into a few ruinations, and also that one "get points for peasants" card came up (10 points), and when Nurgle won with 58 points I had 50. This is playing without the expansion, or anything.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I really enjoy 1830 but I think I'm gonna play with spreadsheets cause handling the money seems like it adds an hour to the game

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Zombie #246 posted:

I really enjoy 1830 but I think I'm gonna play with spreadsheets cause handling the money seems like it adds an hour to the game

Most seem to use poker chips (I do) but spreadsheets are viable.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Anyway, question: If I wanted to get a nice crunchy game for, say, 3-6 people, what's the hot poo poo nowadays? Preferably in the $30-$70 FLGS price range, though I guess if I can find a crazy sale price online I may be a dick and do that instead.

Not many deep strategy games that go up to 6. The best I can think of is Keyflower, or if you want a long conflict heavy strategy game then Dominant Species.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any goons played The Capitals?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Wargaming-wise, Here I Stand or Virgin Queen are good.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

EBag posted:

Not many deep strategy games that go up to 6. The best I can think of is Keyflower, or if you want a long conflict heavy strategy game then Dominant Species.

I've actually been thinking about getting something for a big, heavy game, and Dominant Species was on my short list. I thought about Eclipse because I think I'd really like the exploration and economy building, but I also think I'd just be frustrated at the combat. I'd consider an 18xx game, but I don't think I'd be able to convince anyone in my group to play it with me. Someone in my group has Cuba Libre, and I think has ordered Fire in the Lake, so I'd want to try one of those before getting a COIN game.

Does anyone have other suggestions for me to look into? I generally prefer games that are more Euro than wargame or Ameritrash.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

jeeves posted:

Awesome, thanks!

The Hasbro box also has a matte finish instead of the old glossy feel and is darker.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Wargaming-wise, Here I Stand or Virgin Queen are good.

I should have stated that "crunchy" for me stops waaaaay on this side of war gaming. What do I look like, a loving nerd?

Edit: I meant any combo of player amounts up to six, not just exactly 3-6. If there are good ones that only do four, or three, those are fine too. Though I am planning to just look poo poo up while I'm there tomorrow, since working backward and seeing what's on sale first is easier.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 6, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you want something between traditional wargames and euros for up to 4 players I'm gonna get out my broken record and recommend the COIN games.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Got to play Glass Road today. I taught the folks how to do the cards a bit wrong and I'll be fixing it in subsequent plays but I did quite enjoy it and despite the one AP-heavy player it still played quickly enough. I'm pretty happy with this purchase I think.

cenotaph posted:

Most seem to use poker chips (I do) but spreadsheets are viable.

I was playing Lords of Vega$ or whatever the spelling is the other day and I was thinking that if I had any games that required much tracking of money or had paper money, besides Power Grid, it seems like it would be worth investing in abaci for the players. That seems like an elegant solution to me instead of passing cash back and forth, but maybe people don't know how to use an abacus? I dunno, I don't really play economic games / games with lots of money back and forth (yet).

thespaceinvader posted:

The glass cubes were a kickstarter exclusive I believe.

Okay, good to know, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Having played a fresh game of Eclipse a couple nights ago, the combat isn't that bad really. Just make sure you're not playing with dinguses who don't use targeting computers.

Still workshopping a CRT for it, but I think it's a mountain out of a molehill.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

It doesn't get that much talk around here, but I really like Aquasphere. You mentioned liking 2 other Stephan Feld games already (Castles of Burgundy and Bruges), and I feel this is one of his better games. It's pretty brain-burnery in the fact that you have to make the most of your 4-5 actions per round, and scales well from 2 - 4 players. Plus, you get to play with little wooden robots and octopuses. Biggest complaint I have heard is the board is a bit busy, which it is, but after a play or two I found that doesn't bother me at all.

You may also like Last Will. Good game that is a bit deeper than the light-hearted theme lets on. You basically try to end the game with the least amount of money by blowing it on dinner and trips and throwing fancy parties.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It would probably work but poker chips are really intuitive and for 18xx they help you keep track of the bank.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Imperial is also a really good econ game that seems to scale well with player counts.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I've played it with all player counts except two, and I know people who have played it at two and liked it. It scales pretty well, though the strategy for each number of players is obviously different. I don't /love/ it at 5-6, it feels a bit random and short compared to other player counts. I think they could do with adding a few more cards to play 5-6 properly but that's just me.

Cheers for the answers, everyone. I was going to get it but the didn't have it in English. Guess I've got a little adaption of my own to do :v:

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Fell onto a relatively new copy of Corto for 16 bucks, easily enough to spend on something in great condition, pretty fun little game, has a good medium filler feel with great components. Drop people, steal cash, plays fast enough once you see it happen.

Galaxy Trucker w/ first expansion also fell into my lap a few weeks ago, haven't gotten to get REAL with it but had some fun so far.

Also got the family box of Apples to Apples; and a copy of Wits and Wagers, both for 5 bucks, in good condition.

Still bummed I let a copy of Panamax slip by, when it was mint for 4 dollars, but god drat I was tired and a group of 8 people tying up the only register at the local goodwill can really get you into a gently caress it attitude.

Not a bad few weeks for getting some cheap grabs.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

An abacus would be difficult for 18xx because you would have to have one for the bank, as mentioned, and one for every single company as well as all the players. Buy poker chips. What we tend to do is use poker chips until the last few ORs and then use a custom built spreadsheet (you can get it online), that lets you put in how much of a company you own, how much it runs for, how much cash you have and the market price for the shares and it basically runs the last few ORs (the ones were the game state is actually static) for you.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Dungeon of Mandom/Welcome to the Dungeon? Seems like the latest hyped Japanese microgame. I'm interested in that and Flip City/Design Town (to be clear that's a Taiwanese microgame iirc). Anyways su&sd has a review hyping it here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-welcome-dungeon/

I play Love Letter from time to time but only out of.. utility I guess, to warm people up to other games, but I quite like Skull. So if this game has elements of both, I'm interested.

I just bought it yesterday at origins. So far I like it a lot. Way closer to skull than love letter. Definitely worth the 15$.

Can't speak to the solvable issue cause we played 3 player (which didn't feel remotely solvable) but it definitely felt replayable to me.

Also picked up Broom Service, playing it today.

burger time fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Shut Up and Sit Down called Welcome to the Dungeon the best Japanese game since Love Letter.

Have they straight up not playing Tragedy Looper?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I think no, they haven't played tragedy looper. Welcome to the dungeon is quite good though. The art in the redesign is really nice, the cardboard is thick and has glossy printing for the item tiles. And the characters all work very different so evaluating some items (like the mages spell omnipotence - if all the monsters in the dungeon are different, you succeed even if you die) can be very tricky.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

I've actually been thinking about getting something for a big, heavy game, and Dominant Species was on my short list. I thought about Eclipse because I think I'd really like the exploration and economy building, but I also think I'd just be frustrated at the combat. I'd consider an 18xx game, but I don't think I'd be able to convince anyone in my group to play it with me. Someone in my group has Cuba Libre, and I think has ordered Fire in the Lake, so I'd want to try one of those before getting a COIN game.

Does anyone have other suggestions for me to look into? I generally prefer games that are more Euro than wargame or Ameritrash.

How about something like Terra Mystica? It only goes to five, unfortunately, but it moves relatively quickly and is pure economy through and through.

EDIT: Re-wrote my post because I suspect I misread his initial request.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 6, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Edit: Never mind, misread the post.

You were right about the thread, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I know this is an odd post because it's not about anime.

Is anyone interested in playing a game of Pax Porfiriana over VASSAL next Saturday? Ideally, I'd like to get 3 others for a 4p game, but 3p or 5p is fine too. It's a Phil Eklund game. If you know who that is, you'll know if you're interested or not.

Rules
Module

PM me if interested. We can figure out a time (I'm in EST - an early start is better for me, but I'm flexible) and get everyones Skype info.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's great news, I'm going to pick up the Exotica/Escalation bundle whenever it's put up.

Eminent Domain updated their Kickstarter page:

Add-ons are available:
Eminent Domain
US - $30.00
Canada - $40.00
Rest of World - $45.00

Eminent Domain : Escalation
US - $20
Canada - $25
Rest of World - $30

So for $75 (in the US), you could get the entire expanded game.... $90 if you want Battlecruisers (which I know nothing about).

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Does that include shipping? I'm looking at the page and it says nothing about shipping. Dammit TMG / Seth, get your poo poo together. (I live in Canadurr for what it's worth.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

You were right about the thread, though.
My favourite thing about the thread is people being butt-hurt over valid criticism of games they like.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

My favourite thing about the thread is people being butt-hurt over valid criticism of games they like.

But if you don't like a thing I like, that might mean that something's wrong with my opinion, and that means something might be wrong with me!

Tzolk'in isn't any fun BTW.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

EvilChameleon posted:

Does that include shipping? I'm looking at the page and it says nothing about shipping. Dammit TMG / Seth, get your poo poo together. (I live in Canadurr for what it's worth.)

Yeah, that price includes shipping.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Some Numbers posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down called Welcome to the Dungeon the best Japanese game since Love Letter.

Have they straight up not playing Tragedy Looper?

Correct. They haven't reviewed it in any form and they haven't even mentioned it at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That is a shame, because I expect that they would enjoy it.