Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
Sounds like a possible variant on this hoax?

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/klee.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

BattyKiara posted:

I'm looking for a more freaky than scary thing. I'm sure I've seen something about freak weather causing telly signals from England being picked up in America, in 1937. I think it was a mix of a cartoon and some kind of play. There was no sound, only badly tuned images.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Are you thinking of Candle Cove by chance?

^ Or that. Interesting, I usually eat stuff like that up when I'm bored. Don't think I've ever come across that one.

Dr. Benway has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Jun 5, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BattyKiara posted:

I'm looking for a more freaky than scary thing. I'm sure I've seen something about freak weather causing telly signals from England being picked up in America, in 1937. I think it was a mix of a cartoon and some kind of play. There was no sound, only badly tuned images.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's a type of radio propagation condition called Sporadic E, where frequencies higher than usual can bounce off of highly ionized regions of the lower ionosphere, leading to long-distance radio and TV reception. It's not really freaky, or scary, or what-have-you.

Also if it had a video of the "badly tuned images" it's bullshit because there wasn't any way to record TV without a kinescope until video tape was invented

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
A bit of googling of Sporadic E led me to this: http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm

Not quite as I remembered it, but probably what I was thinking of. Thank you for solving my mystery.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

BattyKiara posted:

A bit of googling of Sporadic E led me to this: http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm

Not quite as I remembered it, but probably what I was thinking of. Thank you for solving my mystery.

There is the practice of meteor burst communications. During heavy meteor activity you can get radio reception from far away with fairly low-powered equipment. The signals bounce off of ion trails in the atmosphere and if you're lucky enough to get a few pointed in the direction of transmitter-->receiver, then it's kind of like having an extra length of cable up in the sky for fractions of a second.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Buh posted:

Someone shared a plausible-sounding anecdote of the Max Headroom perpatrator on reddit a few years back. No proof, but I buy the explanation of his motive.

The thing that jumps out at me is the part where they told him to "watch channel 11 tonight." For one thing that's an awfully big hint to drop to some 13 year-old. But there's also the fact that channel 11 was the victim of the second incident and that one seems to have been a back-up plan whoever it was resorted to after WGN cut him off. There are a bunch of references to WGN in the video too, so there's reason to think they were the prime target all along.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
I heard a 2 way radio communication through my guitar amplifier once. It was a little garbled but I could clearly hear their voices if I adjusted the gain to a certain level. Probably just some local ham guys, they were just casually talking about random stuff.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Looking for unusual TV/radio transmissions lead me to The Most Mysterious Broadcasts, Weirdest Transmissions and Strangest Sounds Ever Recorded.

Which in turn lead to this bit on Operation Wandering Soul (wiki included to keep on topic)>

Which in turn lead to an actual recording. :ghost:

It's too easy to start clicking around on this stuff.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Have some fried eggs with your cave bacon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luray_Caverns

In case anyone's a little freaked out by cave stories and can't sleep, here's a neither scary or unnerving palate cleanser: Luray is home to the largest musical instrument in the world, the Great Stalacpipe Organ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Stalacpipe_Organ

Erghh posted:

Looking for unusual TV/radio transmissions lead me to The Most Mysterious Broadcasts, Weirdest Transmissions and Strangest Sounds Ever Recorded.

Which in turn lead to this bit on Operation Wandering Soul (wiki included to keep on topic)>

I love this stuff, thanks for the post!

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

I must acquire an Aztec Death Whistle ASAP. Things have been way too quiet and boring in my office lately.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Erghh posted:

Whoa, thanks for this! Listening to the stuff on the pages led me to this:

Exploding Head Syndrome

I get this sometimes, albeit in an extremely mild form, so maybe it doesn't fall under this syndrome, but it's certainly similar. I never knew it had a name or explanation for it beyond, "What the gently caress is my brain doing?" It startles me, but I never thought of it as dangerous or paranormal. I just assumed it was my brain doing annoying poo poo while I'm drifting in sleep. It's a really loud noise, but it's completely internal, which makes it really weird.

Whenever it happens in a dead sleep, I just assume it must be one of my cats doing something or a neighbor slamming a car door (which it could also be at those times) and my brain has processed it as an internal noise rather than an external one. Mine never lasts more than one single blast of sound.

I sometimes hear my name being called, just once, as if to wake me up, which is more unsettling, but again, after so many times of it happening, having my heart thumping away, only to discover absolutely nothing going on and then going back to sleep, I can only conclude it's just my brain misfiring and not a jerkwad ghost. It's more like an echo or auditory memory of my name being called, if that makes sense. I wonder if there's a name for that phenomenon. :iiam:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Erghh posted:

Wow I see where the guys from Last Podcast on the Left got their entire most recent episode now...

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Karma Monkey posted:

Whoa, thanks for this! Listening to the stuff on the pages led me to this:

Exploding Head Syndrome

I get this sometimes, albeit in an extremely mild form, so maybe it doesn't fall under this syndrome, but it's certainly similar. I never knew it had a name or explanation for it beyond, "What the gently caress is my brain doing?" It startles me, but I never thought of it as dangerous or paranormal. I just assumed it was my brain doing annoying poo poo while I'm drifting in sleep. It's a really loud noise, but it's completely internal, which makes it really weird.

Whenever it happens in a dead sleep, I just assume it must be one of my cats doing something or a neighbor slamming a car door (which it could also be at those times) and my brain has processed it as an internal noise rather than an external one. Mine never lasts more than one single blast of sound.

I sometimes hear my name being called, just once, as if to wake me up, which is more unsettling, but again, after so many times of it happening, having my heart thumping away, only to discover absolutely nothing going on and then going back to sleep, I can only conclude it's just my brain misfiring and not a jerkwad ghost. It's more like an echo or auditory memory of my name being called, if that makes sense. I wonder if there's a name for that phenomenon. :iiam:

You may be experiencing hypnagogia, a fancy term for the place between sleep and awake.

For some reason, ever since I was little, when I am really tired and closed my eyes I see a green grid with orange and green balls falling through it. I have no idea why or how it started. It just happens and I think "oh, I'd better get to bed soon."

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You may be experiencing hypnagogia, a fancy term for the place between sleep and awake.

quote:

Sounds
Hypnagogic hallucinations are often auditory or have an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called, crumpling bags, white noise, or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on — or summations of — their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.

Yes! This describes it almost exactly. Thank you! I never knew there were different types of hypnagogia. I always thought of it as a visual thing and/or the paralysis, but this fits. I do sometimes hear a doorbell (none of the apartments here have one) or an old fashioned style phone ring. The description of the paralysis type sounds horrifying. Really glad I don't experience that!

quote:

Sleep paralysis
Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing, zapping, and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis. This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken. Sleep paralysis is reportedly very frequent among narcoleptics. It occurs frequently in about 6% of the rest of the population, and occurs occasionally in 60%. In surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20 to 60% of individuals reported having experienced sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric "tingles" or "vibrations", imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings. Sleep paralysis has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences, the Oight Hag and shadow people hauntings.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I actually have nightmares reliving my most horrifying sleep paralysis experience where I was asleep on my couch in college and a big massive gruesome creature lumbered closer and closer to the front door, threw it open and lunged at me. I woke up throwing myself off the couch. I used to get really fragmented sleep from booze and college shenanigans, so I had fairly frequent sleep paralysis from my garbage sleep. That's the only one I relive now, almost a decade later.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Buh posted:

Someone shared a plausible-sounding anecdote of the Max Headroom perpatrator on reddit a few years back. No proof, but I buy the explanation of his motive.

Wow, that was an interesting read. I was in the same BBS social circles, though I think I had only just gotten involved in late 1987 and had yet to meet anyone in person. I do remember there being some very tech-savy folks in the Downer's Grove/Darien area but can't remember if there were any brothers, one of whom was possibly autistic (I don't think I would have recognized someone being autistic vs. as socially awkward as the rest of us back then.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

I actually have nightmares reliving my most horrifying sleep paralysis experience where I was asleep on my couch in college and a big massive gruesome creature lumbered closer and closer to the front door, threw it open and lunged at me. I woke up throwing myself off the couch. I used to get really fragmented sleep from booze and college shenanigans, so I had fairly frequent sleep paralysis from my garbage sleep. That's the only one I relive now, almost a decade later.

I know in the past sleep paralysis became looked down on in this/previous threads but I still think they make for some of the creepiest stories and I love hearing people's accounts of them. Any details as to what the creature looked like and what exactly was happening in the dream?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know in the past sleep paralysis became looked down on in this/previous threads but I still think they make for some of the creepiest stories and I love hearing people's accounts of them. Any details as to what the creature looked like and what exactly was happening in the dream?

Welp, derail initiated. See you all in 5-10 pages or so...

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was tempted to also ask a bit about sleep paralysis, but didn't want to double-post, and I know it's an over-discussed subject. But I saw there's a movie/documentary called The Nightmare that is about sleep paralysis, and wondered if it is any good.

I used to get sleep paralysis frequently. My experience was that I would "wake up" and could feel a presence near me (nothing I could see, I perceived it as just out of my visual range), but couldn't move and was absolutely terrified. Usually there was incoherent whispering in the room, or something like a steam whistle that gradually got louder until it was deafening. It had happened to me on-and-off since grade school, but got much more frequent in my late 20's and early 30's when I was going through a lot of work stress. I had no idea what it was and it was just a horrible terrifying experience every time.

But after I read about it and had some clue about what was going on, I was able to identify that it occurred primarily when I was sleeping on my back, so I started avoiding that. After that it started going away, and even when it happened it wasn't scary anymore and there was no more "presence". Now it does occasionally happen, but I'm concious of it and just go "ugh, ok, concentrate on wiggling a finger until the rest of you can move so you can get back to sleep."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Buh posted:

Interesting but something is setting off the bullshit meter. It seems a bit too detailed and some of it seems to fit too nicely together ("see the guy made sex jokes IRL and so did the hacker! etc."); claiming insider knowledge (being told "hey watch the station tonight while we hack it") while also distancing himself as a random 13 year old kid.

I also wonder if the reason why he stopped collaborating with (presumably) the guy writing the Vice article was because he couldn't keep up the story.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

monster on a stick posted:

Interesting but something is setting off the bullshit meter. It seems a bit too detailed and some of it seems to fit too nicely together ("see the guy made sex jokes IRL and so did the hacker! etc."); claiming insider knowledge (being told "hey watch the station tonight while we hack it") while also distancing himself as a random 13 year old kid.

I also wonder if the reason why he stopped collaborating with (presumably) the guy writing the Vice article was because he couldn't keep up the story.

I can say for sure that a lot of the other details mentioned are absolutely true. That crowd did often meet up at a Pizza Hut in that area, and at other times at the Omega in Downer's Grove. I was on a lot of the same BBS systems mentioned and the poster was involved with those people. So all the little details are pretty darn accurate, and it doesn't make sense to be super accurate about that when you're just making up a story. But it's possible he just drew on his childhood experience and threw in a few extra details to make his story believable. I was involved with a lot of the same scene and I don't remember the Max Headroom incident every being mentioned, but maybe I just didn't know the right people.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

EZipperelli posted:

Welp, derail initiated. See you all in 5-10 pages or so...

Called it.

Wake me up when it's over.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Minarchist posted:

I heard a 2 way radio communication through my guitar amplifier once. It was a little garbled but I could clearly hear their voices if I adjusted the gain to a certain level. Probably just some local ham guys, they were just casually talking about random stuff.

Happens even in professional rigs. If you listen to a recording of Hendrix's Isle of Wight performance (his last recording) you'll hear local radio coming through the amps at certain stages. It was either broadcast radio or two-way radio, I can't remember which.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's because sleep paralysis is only scary/unnerving to the people experiencing it at the time. It's like describing your totally wacky dreams to people - some people find that interesting, maybe there's a dream log thread somewhere.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think nightmares are more interesting than wacky nonsensical dreams.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's because sleep paralysis is only scary/unnerving to the people experiencing it at the time. It's like describing your totally wacky dreams to people - some people find that interesting, maybe there's a dream log thread somewhere.
Dreams are boring because everybody has them, but sleep paralysis is more like a glitch in the system. I'd be interested in knowing what the sleep paralysis "prescence" manifests as to different people, just to see if there are any similarities like how DMT hallucinations tend to revolve around insects or how people on deleriants always seem to see spiders. Things like that are cool because they're like glimpses of a lower level of wiring in the brain we never see when we're properly awake.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

A Pinball Wizard posted:

For some reason, ever since I was little, when I am really tired and closed my eyes I see a green grid with orange and green balls falling through it. I have no idea why or how it started. It just happens and I think "oh, I'd better get to bed soon."

Anybody who is interested in this sort of thing should read Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks. He gives a lot of examples of hallucinations and goes into the science behind them in quite a bit of detail. http://www.amazon.com/Hallucination...=hallucinations

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Dreams are boring because everybody has them, but sleep paralysis is more like a glitch in the system. I'd be interested in knowing what the sleep paralysis "prescence" manifests as to different people, just to see if there are any similarities like how DMT hallucinations tend to revolve around insects or how people on deleriants always seem to see spiders. Things like that are cool because they're like glimpses of a lower level of wiring in the brain we never see when we're properly awake.

I think most people see humans/humanoid things. I have nightmares pretty much a couple times a week and every once in a blue moon will have a night terror mixed with sleep paralysis. Since most of my dreams involve people I figure its just hold overs from my unconscious mind coming over and its terrifying because there's some person in my room at night and I can't move. Everyone is right though, sleep stuff just isn't that interesting.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I had the "shadow people" thing happen to me twice in my life which is apparently related to sleep paralysis. Both times I remember vividly. Once I woke up when I was about 12 to see a shadow version of who i assumed was my mum sitting over on my drum kit. I remember not being scared just kinda confused - I stared at "her" until she slowly vanished.

The second time, however, I woke up when I was about 15 and there was a shadow in the shape of a man standing next to my bed looking down at me. I remember just about making GBS threads myself and actually asking out loud "what do you want from me?", slowly however he vanished and I realised it was just a figment of my imagination.

What's interesting to me is the shadow man looked exactly like the guy in this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shadowman-3.jpg with one difference - the guy I saw had red eyes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Section 9 posted:

I can say for sure that a lot of the other details mentioned are absolutely true. That crowd did often meet up at a Pizza Hut in that area, and at other times at the Omega in Downer's Grove. I was on a lot of the same BBS systems mentioned and the poster was involved with those people. So all the little details are pretty darn accurate, and it doesn't make sense to be super accurate about that when you're just making up a story. But it's possible he just drew on his childhood experience and threw in a few extra details to make his story believable. I was involved with a lot of the same scene and I don't remember the Max Headroom incident every being mentioned, but maybe I just didn't know the right people.

I'm not saying he didn't know hackers at the time or hang out with them (though I think everyone was meeting at Pizza Hut in the '80s, because you could get a bunch of food and share it and it usually wasn't that expensive.) But he has a lot of details on J/K - and the reason you don't want to be too vague when making stuff up is that people will immediately write you off. So he gives additional details like how the apartment was decorated and stuff they said, none of which can be verified and most of which doesn't matter in the first place so nobody is going to grill him on it. He can't say anything more about J/K because he "doesn't want to expose them", also convenient if you made them up.

Summary: his "evidence" so far is unverifiable and he won't supply more evidence.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I either see a black figure stood next to me or stood on the end of the bed looking down on me, or if I wake up on my side I'll see a face really close to mine. They usually dissolve away into everday objects though within about 5 seconds but it#s a lovely way to wake up.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I always love reading stories about the weird poo poo that happened during WWII, specifically things like the occult experiments the Germans did etc.

I'm a sucker for movies like Outpost and the like

Any good links for that sort of thing to read?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Olewithmilk posted:

I either see a black figure stood next to me or stood on the end of the bed looking down on me, or if I wake up on my side I'll see a face really close to mine. They usually dissolve away into everday objects though within about 5 seconds but it#s a lovely way to wake up.

I'm pretty sure I had sp once or twice when I was a little kid but I never saw the figure, I always just felt like I was falling.

Now, as an adult, I wake up every so often to see a figure behind my bedroom door or, as you say, a face right up in my own, but I can move perfectly fine.

Speaking of weird sleep stuff, did any of you ever wake up with extreme dead arm after laying on your side? What I mean by this is sometimes I would wake up to realize that I had somehow pinched my veins in such a way that blood was flowing into my arm but not out. My arm would be complete dead weight, and I would only notice when I went to roll over in my sleep and I had an anchor. The arm would be totally numb, visibly inflated with blood, and would feel like a long rubber gloves filled with lukewarm pudding. In order to "cure" it I would have to grab my dead hand with my other hand and pull it up into the air, at which point I could feel and hear the magnitude and weight of the blood rushing back into my system. It was always pretty freaky and I never got used to it before I grew out of it. It went away with the end of puberty. Anyone experience this, or know if it has a specific name?

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jun 6, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seems like you were supposed to get morning wood but your brain isnt too smart and you got an arm boner instead.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Sappo569 posted:

I always love reading stories about the weird poo poo that happened during WWII, specifically things like the occult experiments the Germans did etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnenerbe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wewelsburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vril

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke

Plenty of links within links. Also I think the book The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust has been dropped in one of these threads before.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If I sleep on my back I'll wake up feeling numb without able to move but I never have had visions or nightmares.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Speaking of weird sleep stuff, did any of you ever wake up with extreme dead arm after laying on your side?.... Anyone experience this, or know if it has a specific name?

It's called "the stranger". http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stranger

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

Bit of a side track, but better than sleep paralysis for the nth time. If you like comics read "The Life Eaters".

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Please end the personal stories of weird sleep stuff before we get to the next page. Yes it's weird, yes it's scary, but personal sleep weirdness, much like your dreams, are just not interesting to anybody but yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
In the interest of putting the brakes on sleep paralysis chat, I’m going to try to introduce a little effort post here about two things that I think are scary and unnerving: serial killers and a (possible) miscarriage of justice.

While I haven’t lived there in some time, “home” for me is a mid-sized city called Columbus, Georgia. There’s not a whole lot that happens there that you’d be familiar with. Coca-Cola was invented there by a pharmacist, but he pretty quickly moved things up to Atlanta and now everyone thinks it was invented there, much to the chagrin of the locals. RC Cola was headquartered there for some time, cementing it as a fixture in Southern culture, what with RC and Moon Pies being the stereotypical “kick back and enjoy yourself” food & drink combo for the South when I was growing up… but I digress. Aside from Coca-Cola, RC Cola, Tom’s Foods and a few celebrities, what does Columbus have as a claim to fame?

Oh that’s right, we have a serial killer on death row in Georgia… and we may have arrested the wrong guy.

Wikipedia posted:

Carlton Michael Gary (born December 15, 1952) is an American serial killer convicted of the murders of elderly white women in Columbus, Georgia from 1977-1978. He is believed to be responsible for several more in Albany and Syracuse, New York.
I’ll say right up front that I have no illusions about Carlton Gary being an angel. DNA evidence has conclusively linked him to a rape and murder in New York, one that certainly makes him seem at least a likely suspect in the Stocking Strangler murders in the late 70s in Columbus. Since that’s what I’m focusing on, I’ll skip the stuff in New York and jump straight to the Georgia stuff:

Wikipedia posted:

One month after his escape, on September 16, 1977, 60 year-old Ferne Jackson was raped, beaten, and strangled to death with a nylon stocking at her home in the Wynnton district of Columbus. Nine days later, 71 year-old Jean Dimenstein was killed similarly, as were 89 year-old Florence Scheible on October 21, and 69 year-old Martha Thurmond on October 23. Five days later, Gary struck again, raping and killing 74 year-old Kathleen Woodruff. This time there was no stocking left at the scene. Four months later on February 12, 1978, Ruth Schwob was attacked but she triggered a bedside alarm and her assailant fled. He went just two blocks down the road before breaking into another house and raping and strangling 78 year-old Mildred Borom. His final victim was 61 year-old Janet Cofer, murdered on April 20th.

Now if you’re from the Columbus area, those last names probably mean something to you. Wynnton has long been an “old money” area that is directly abutted and sometimes surrounded by lower income housing and a lot of desperate people. Incidentally an old family friend lived in this area at the time and when I spoke to her about the killings years later in the 90s, she distinctly remembered everything that went on. She told me about lying awake nights with a .38 revolver by her bedside, jumping at every sound, wondering if this was the night that the Stocking Strangler would come in to claim her as a victim. One of the victims – I believe Florence Scheible – lived two or three doors down from her at the time.

The cops were closing in on naming an African-American suspect, and whether there was a great deal of proof or not, that’s how most people were leaning anyway. Columbus has always been a greatly segregated city, even up to the most recent time I lived there (I moved away, perhaps for good, in 2009 after running my dream job into the ground – another post for another thread, perhaps). As an example of just how segregated things were, I have a statement from one of Columbus’ more celebrated citizens Carson McCullers, the author of “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter”:

Carson McCullers posted:

"Always it has been an intolerable shame to me to know that Negroes are not accorded the same intellectual privileges as white citizens. As an author represented in the library, I feel it is my duty to speak not only for myself but for the august dead who are represented on the shelves and to whom I owe an incalculable debt. I think of Tolstoy, Chekov, Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Paine."

That was in reference to African-Americans being able to use the public library in 1948. A special library “for blacks” was opened in 1953 and as of my last visit, it looks like poo poo and is right next to an area where if you stop at a stop sign with your window down at the right times of day, you can buy just about anything. So yeah – very racially segregated city.

With Kathleen Woodruff (aka the heiress to the Coca-Cola fortune) dead, a lot of people wanted something done and they didn’t believe the cops were moving nearly fast enough. These were high profile murders with the lurid addition of rape (sometimes posthumous according to reports), and it seemed that anyone could do it, as the weapon of choice was something any woman would have in her home, nylon stockings. And if the police couldn't stop this guy, then by God, the Ku Klux Klan would!

The Last Linotype: The Story of Georgia and its Newspapers since World War II posted:

This led to an announcement by the Columbus Ku Klux Klan that Klansmen were going to start patrolling the streets in Wynnton. Since the Klan barely existed in Columbus that was an announcement that probably got more attention than it deserved but it did increase the tension.

NEXT TIME: Setting the stage: what Columbus was like at the beginning of the Stranglings!

wyntyr has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jun 7, 2015