Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

What's with the pissbaby attitude, though?

You can disagree all you want, especially when it comes to terms of phrasing and whether or not it's artstyle changes, but no need to be all petulant about it, especially when Araki made an effort to distinguish, regardless of whether or not you like or agree with it.

Can it, dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Also The World itself doesn't have an E for durability so I really don't think that it matches up with the idea that it's describing Star Platinum post Part 4 as a whole.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurora posted:

Also The World itself doesn't have an E for durability so I really don't think that it matches up with the idea that it's describing Star Platinum post Part 4 as a whole.

DIO could stop time for a lot longer than Jotaro could, and it's implied that if he managed to heal further, he'd eventually figure out how to stop time pretty much forever. Also, power seems to describe the physical strength a stand has rather than its ability to break stuff, hence why The Hand and Cream are rated as having B-level power despite theoretically being able to annihilate anything within their range. "Allowing the user to do a lot of poo poo" alone wouldn't warrant rank-A power and precision. I mean, indiscriminately stopping time for everything around you is the opposite of precise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

DIO could stop time for a lot longer than Jotaro could, and it's implied that if he managed to heal further, he'd eventually figure out how to stop time pretty much forever. Also, power seems to describe the physical strength a stand has rather than its ability to break stuff, hence why The Hand and Cream are rated as having B-level power despite theoretically being able to annihilate anything within their range. "Allowing the user to do a lot of poo poo" alone wouldn't warrant rank-A power and precision. I mean, indiscriminately stopping time for everything around you is the opposite of precise.

So you're saying that being able to stop time and throw a knife like Dio did to Joseph isn't powerful or precise? Okay...?

I mean you can kill literally anybody if you're not loving around. That's powerful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Can you imagine if Dio actually was able to stop time forever? He'd be so bored.

Just beating up random people and putting cats in people's food and then waiting, like, five hours for them to notice.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can you imagine if Dio actually was able to stop time forever? He'd be so bored.

Just beating up random people and putting cats in people's food and then waiting, like, five hours for them to notice.

Arguably he'd get bored after awhile if he managed to pull off the Heaven thing, considering nothing's a surprise.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pucci literally waited until the end of the universe and he probably spent all that time thinking about how he wasnt able to get Emporio :laugh:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurora posted:

So you're saying that being able to stop time and throw a knife like Dio did to Joseph isn't powerful or precise? Okay...?

I mean you can kill literally anybody if you're not loving around. That's powerful.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The stats are saying that Star Platinum is powerful enough to bend the iron bars of a jail cell and precise enough to conduct brain surgery with mechanical precision, neither of which you can do with just time stop and not the physical capabilities of the stand itself. Now stop being dense.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. The stats are saying that Star Platinum is powerful enough to bend the iron bars of a jail cell and precise enough to conduct brain surgery with mechanical precision, neither of which you can do with just time stop and not the physical capabilities of the stand itself. Now stop being dense.

Nah, it makes way more sense if it's describing the ability.

It makes way more sense than somehow Star Platinum using The World makes it a different stand entirely.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Aurora posted:

Nah, it makes way more sense if it's describing the ability.

On some random looking around on the jojo wikia, I found out something I had forgotten, that Killer Queen's extra abilities are all given stats, so i'm inclined to believe that SPTW is the stats for just the ability

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

On some random looking around on the jojo wikia, I found out something I had forgotten, that Killer Queen's extra abilities are all given stats, so i'm inclined to believe that SPTW is the stats for just the ability

Are you sure Kira doesn't just have three stands?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
In other news, this screenshot showed up for me again and I completely forgot that it shows an Evil Stand User audition. Imagine the personals ad about this. Christ almighty.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

BaDandy posted:

Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

IIRC every time I've seen it it's been Star Platinum's The World, like the ability to stop time is called The World and Star Platinum is able to do it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kabanaw posted:

IIRC every time I've seen it it's been Star Platinum's The World, like the ability to stop time is called The World and Star Platinum is able to do it.

That's like if ZZ transformed a car by saying "Wheel of Fortune: Strength!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When you kill The Boss you become Big Boss.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

When you kill The Boss you become Big Boss.

Jotaro won because he mastered the basics of ORA

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jotaro let DIO inside of him, duh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BaDandy posted:

In other news, this screenshot showed up for me again and I completely forgot that it shows an Evil Stand User audition. Imagine the personals ad about this. Christ almighty.

"Well, that's an interesting talent, Mr. Horse, but I'm afraid I, Dio, only accept applicants who name their Stands after Tarot Cards."

"No wait! I could be, uh... the Emperor!"

"I'm afraid you'll also need a color to go along with that na- oh. Enya informs me we aren't doing that anymore. Welcome aboard, Mr. Horse."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Man. Re-reading Part 7. There's a lot to be said about the placement of the final The World DIO vs. Johnny, but the fight itself is so awesome - and it has such great time fuckery!

I mean, Dio fires his gun during the time stop, runs out of bullets, notices one of his bullets hovering in mid-air and about to miss, so he takes the fired bullet, reloads with it and fires again. Not sure how that would work, but drat if it isn't awesome. Super-broken ability vs. super-broken ability. In hindsight, I'm cool with Johnny losing his final battle, only for Lucy to horrifically murder Dio. All that is missing is a short scene for Pocoloco, just to show Hey Ya subtly helped Lucy.

Steel Ball Run is so great, you guys. :allears:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That's like if ZZ transformed a car by saying "Wheel of Fortune: Strength!"
'
I just checked again and it's at least how The Invincible Trio translated it :shrug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love that in next week's preview, he almost pronounces it "Toki yo tomaWRYYYYYYYY"

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Kabanaw posted:

'
I just checked again and it's at least how The Invincible Trio translated it :shrug:

The original Japanese is スタープラチナ ザ・ワールド, which is just "Star Platinum The World." At any rate, the idea that the stats page describes only the ability to stop time doesn't jive with the fact that the same stats page also describes Star Platinum The World as "An ability that that destroys objects with extreme precision. Its effective range falls within 2 meters"

On another note, I have a few questions any posters here who speak Italian or have friends, moms, or friends' moms who speak Italian. Soon the new Part 5 translation will be getting to the train fight (which really one of the best fights, by the way), in which the newly-introduced character Pesci constantly calls Prosciutto his aniki. While that's a complicated word to translate into English, it would also sound pretty silly to just keep it in Japanese and have an Italian mafia guy keep calling another dude Aniki, so I'd be grateful if I could get any answers to the following:

-Aniki literally means "older brother", but it can also be used to refer to a big brother figure who isn't necessarily biologically related to you, but is still so rad that you wish you could be like them. For instance, the three prime anikis of Jojo are Keicho, Hermes, and, of course, Prosciutto. Would it be appropriate to translate it as fratello?
-Assuming it is appropriate, Pesci refers to Prosciutto variously as "my aniki Prosciutto", "Prosciutto-aniki", and "Aniki". Is it okay to use phrases like "my fratello", "fratello Prosciutto", and to use "Fratello" as a term of address in place of someone's name, or does that sound weird and dumb?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think I might be in the minority here, but I think stats are unimportant in Jojo since battles are won with wits instead of power. Sperging over stats in JoJo is just a waste of time.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

You could just use "Bro"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think I might be in the minority here, but I think stats are unimportant in Jojo since battles are won with wits instead of power. Sperging over stats in JoJo is just a waste of time.

I think most people feel the same, at least around here. Lots of people have totally busted Stands, and end up losing because they get so full of themselves they just try to dominate their opponent. Even the main characters fall into this trap sometimes; look at when Josuke and Okuyasu figured Harvest is just a lovely Stand that's only good for picking up trash.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

You could just use "Bro"

Agreed, gently caress aniki

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Daxing Dan posted:

-Aniki literally means "older brother", but it can also be used to refer to a big brother figure who isn't necessarily biologically related to you, but is still so rad that you wish you could be like them.
"Bro" is frequently used in English to deliver the exact same connotation.

Which is to say I agree with the other two guys.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Bro has pretty different connotations though: it implies familiarity and parity instead of admiration. I don't know any Italian though and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head: sadly we can't go the Dragon Quest 8 route and use "guv".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I hope these edits never stop.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Bro has pretty different connotations though: it implies familiarity and parity instead of admiration. I don't know any Italian though and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head: sadly we can't go the Dragon Quest 8 route and use "guv".
No, bro is functional in this case.

Everything about Pesci makes it clear he respects and looks up to Prosciutto. His expression, his body language. Dare I say, even if there were no English translation and you couldn't read Japanese, you could still discern their relationship through the art alone. Being in the mafia already carries a "Family, but not necessarily 'Family'" connotation on its own, as does a lot of gang culture. There's also the more general idea of "Brotherhood" as a relationship between men with mutual goals and values, regardless of relations.

There is nobody who, upon hearing Pesci blurt out "B-bro!" wide-eyed and noticeably less nervous as Prosciutto calms him while coolly executing his duties, would mistake what he meant by "Bro." Prosciutto is clearly the one to be admired, and Pesci is clearly admiring him.

Alternatively, I sure hope Giorno's nakama can pull through this one!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I need to re-read the train fight. I don't recall it sticking out in my mind too much, aside from Pesci suddenly getting serious after Prosciutto died.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The train fight is the highlight of Part 5, along with White Album.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah Part V has a strong start, but squander it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I take it back, gently caress aniki AND bro.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Part 5 has a lot of really drat good fights, actually. Off the top of my head, the Train Battle, White Album, Bruno vs. King Crimson, King Crimson vs. Metallica and Oasis and Green Day are all hella sick and up there among the best JoJo fights of them all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

White Album and Metallica are probably my favorite enemy Stands from Part V.

Metallica is also a good example of Stand stats mean nothing because it has Cs across the board and has a wide array of ridiculously broken powers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part V I'd say has a great first and second act. It's the third act where it starts to fall apart for me. The early chapters with Giorno trying to fit in with Bruno's gang as they go treasure hunting are great, and the assassination squad going rogue provided a lot of memorable villains with great fights. After Bruno's brush with King Crimson and Doppio's fight with Nero though, the fights and the bad guys seem to go downhill - though to Araki's credit they remain creative.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Jojo wiki is full of unfounded information. Unless they've got a link to an interview or a translated quip from an artbook, I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Today's speculation becomes tomorrow's "Araki said."