Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

My favourite thing about the Internet is people being butt-hurt over valid criticism of anything they like.

Fixed it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

Correct. They haven't reviewed it in any form and they haven't even mentioned it at any point.

Actually, they've mentioned it twice. Back in 2013, when it was a tiny indie blip at the Tokyo Games Market, and again in passing when the English release was announced.

The irony is, that brief SUSD mention in 2013 (and the accompanying TGM con report at BGG) is what first brought the game to my attention. And set me scrounging for translations, pestering the Japon Brand guys for an english release, and buying a goddamn japanese copy literally the day before the ZMan announcement.

They did this to me. To us. And yet remain unscathed. Truly, they are an instrument of the Mastermind.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ropes4u posted:

Fixed it for you.

You are neither the owner of this Web-site, nor anyone else empowered to alter my writings in any way. I consider it the height of egotism and frankly an abridgement of my First Amendment rights. If you want to engage in open and fair dialogue, I am all for it-but for you to even DARE to edit my writings and then slap 'FTFY's all over them is a minor outrage-and once again is showing me the caliber of people associated with this particular game.

I have never in my life run across a game with such poorly written rules. There are pages upon pages of questions, responses, folks chiming in how their actual games have come to a halt for 30-45 minutes of "lawyering" to try and ascertain what the rules might possibly mean-and I, for one am becoming convinced that there are Grand Canyon sized holes in the 'logic' of this game that all but kill it.

And I am even willing to go there. To say "Yeah, once again, the author is contradictory/unclear, and our house rules are ____." But for you to act as if you know the answers and then edit my answers-is very Orwellian.
Respond to my writings if you wish. You have NO permission to 'fix' any of them....

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

You are neither the owner of this Web-site, nor anyone else empowered to alter my writings in any way. I consider it the height of egotism and frankly an abridgement of my First Amendment rights. If you want to engage in open and fair dialogue, I am all for it-but for you to even DARE to edit my writings and then slap 'FTFY's all over them is a minor outrage-and once again is showing me the caliber of people associated with this particular game.

I have never in my life run across a game with such poorly written rules. There are pages upon pages of questions, responses, folks chiming in how their actual games have come to a halt for 30-45 minutes of "lawyering" to try and ascertain what the rules might possibly mean-and I, for one am becoming convinced that there are Grand Canyon sized holes in the 'logic' of this game that all but kill it.

And I am even willing to go there. To say "Yeah, once again, the author is contradictory/unclear, and our house rules are ____." But for you to act as if you know the answers and then edit my answers-is very Orwellian.
Respond to my writings if you wish. You have NO permission to 'fix' any of them....

Where is this from again?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I'll give you one good guess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/889691/faq-mistake

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Oldstench posted:

I know this is an odd post because it's not about anime.

Is anyone interested in playing a game of Pax Porfiriana over VASSAL next Saturday? Ideally, I'd like to get 3 others for a 4p game, but 3p or 5p is fine too. It's a Phil Eklund game. If you know who that is, you'll know if you're interested or not.

Rules
Module

PM me if interested. We can figure out a time (I'm in EST - an early start is better for me, but I'm flexible) and get everyones Skype info.

I'm not interested, but thanks for reminding me that I can't find this game for purchase anywhere. :argh:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Chad Jensen has a new light ( :confused: ) Euro on the GMT P500: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-541-centerville.aspx

quote:

Centerville is a relatively light board game for 2-4 players. Centerville abstractly models the growth and management of a small city — perhaps not unlike the one you're in right now.

Players act as entrepreneurs, tycoons, politicians, and other local movers and shakers working to develop a modern urban area. Fortunes will be made and fame will rise. As time goes by, personal milestones will enrich the players even further.

Throughout the game, players will roll six dice, keeping some and rerolling others, then implementing the various die faces on the game board. This will result in political offices being gained and lost, new vocations learned, new land acquired, or new buildings constructed. The end result is a vibrant community revered near and wide — but only the player who has best balanced their wealth and prestige will emerge the final victor.

Playing time is 15-20 minutes per player.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Chad Jensen has a new light ( :confused: ) Euro on the GMT P500: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-541-centerville.aspx

Holy poo poo this sounds like my jam.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Holy poo poo this sounds like my jam.

Yeah, there's a guy in my group who will spooge over that. I'll tell him about it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Sounds great. Interested to see the rules.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not interested, but thanks for reminding me that I can't find this game for purchase anywhere. :argh:

Sucks you're not interested. He's releasing a collectors edition that you can preorder here.

T-Bone posted:

Playtesters are going pretty gaga over it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do love "dice as workers" style games.

But I also don't want to preorder because 1st edition GMT games usually feel cheap or look ugly until they reprint. So thank you early adopters for getting this game on shelves but I'll wait for the eventual reprint with better art and components.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

T-Bone posted:

Goddamnit. Ordered.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I hope it has a little bit more of a Roll for the Galaxy's dice mechanics where you can manage your pool of dice via specialized dice and a variable economy of dice each round and less like the Roll through the Ages/King of Tokyo thing where everyone gets the same dice and some rerolls. Basically, less symmetry and more planning rather than a "wait to see what I roll before I plan what I do" type of game.

E: divergent pool building and round-to-round management I guess might be what sets these games apart

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 6, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Legendary Encounters Alien game sounds neat and fun. Is it worth an impulse buy at $60?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Sucks you're not interested. He's releasing a collectors edition that you can preorder here.

Yeah. Would prefer non-collector but that and evolution are on my Christmas maybe reprint list.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like Legendary Encounters but it fills a very specific niche for me. It's probably the best experiential super thematic coop game that isn't too heavy, that I've played. It's like a gateway game for people who really like theme. But unlike other gateway games, it has those other important ingredients of not being boring for me or a being game where I crush the other players.

I'd prefer to play LotR LCG or Mage Knight if I'm playing an experiential co-op thing but I don't start people there. I definitely have got my money's worth.

E: I don't always drink beer, but when I do it's legendary encounters

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 6, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Len posted:

The Legendary Encounters Alien game sounds neat and fun. Is it worth an impulse buy at $60?
I really like it but it has a flaws, which are somewhat alleviated by the fact that it is a co-op. I don't know if it is worth 60 dollars though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Len posted:

$50 here http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/201696

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

As someone who dislikes deck builders and generally dislikes co-op games I think it's good. It's thematic, there's a lot happening on the board that makes it feel more like a traditional board game in my mind, and even when you have a lovely draw as deck builders often have early game there's usually some way you can contribute to someone else's success.

I think $60 is a bit too much but there's a poo poo ton of cards and the scenarios really do change the game up.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I stopped by for the sale I mentioned earlier, and snagged a copy of Dominant Species for $40, which was 50% off. I almost bought another game, but I'm poor and being irresponsible buying the one game as it is, but man do I want a ton of their games they have marked down.

Speaking of Jensen (I think that's the guy anyway), they have Subdivision on sale for half off too. It looks a lot like Suburbia, which looked great from the SU&SD review, but I was in a hurry and reticent to drop money on a game only similar to another one I may or may not like. Should I go back and pick it up?

Edit: not Jensen, but whatever.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

And I am even willing to go there. To say "Yeah, once again, the author is contradictory/unclear, and our house rules are ____." But for you to act as if you know the answers and then edit my answers-is very Orwellian. Respond to my writings if you wish. You have NO permission to 'fix' any of them....

I was commenting about how people on the internet get outraged when something they say or like is challenged, not on the game.

FYI - In general I value your well thought out responses and input into games. Calling attempt at humor Orwellian was slightly over the top :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ropes4u posted:

I was commenting about how people on the internet get outraged when something they say or like is challenged, not on the game.

FYI - In general I value your well thought out responses and input into games. Calling attempt at humor Orwellian was slightly over the top :)

Did you not see it was a quote from bgg?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I played some games with Broken Loose last night. We started with 3 player Eminent Domain & Escalation and man, the expansion is so much better than the base game. Gotta find a copy now because there's no going back to the vanilla game after that. I started with a scenario that let me trash a card for free each turn, so I went full warfare. I had a crazy engine going getting like 8+ ships a turn pretty quickly and took an early lead with a bunch of planets, then I sputtered to a stop with bad surveys and not enough research (my deck only started with one, so it was hard to balance with getting more ships). He won mostly due to a card that let him get a free tech every time he played it and colonizing a planet that gave him a ton of VP for dissenting warfare. I think the spread was 24-36 between the three of us.

Then we played Final Attack and it was crazy. That's all.

Finished with some Click Clack Lumberjack. I'd never played so the first game went terribly while I figured out how to hit it, etc. Second game I took a big lead early then proceeded to crash and burn by knocking down 6 trunk pieces in one terrible swing.

I also met his dingo and almost died from an allergy attack due to the cats. All in all, the night gets an B+, because I couldn't stop sneezing and that's why I didn't win anything.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 6, 2015

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I saw Homeland in the store today and the back of the box read a lot like BSG (which I love). What's the verdict on this game?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
yeah, way to describe my house as just "the cats" like i'm just some maniac living in a shanty crawling with stray animals

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Did you not see it was a quote from bgg?

I'm dumb - excuse me :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

yeah, way to describe my house as just "the cats" like i'm just some maniac living in a shanty crawling with stray animals

You said it, not me :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Boy. My wife really doesn't like Tash-Kalar.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I wonder why

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oldstench posted:

Boy. My wife really doesn't like Tash-Kalar.

Maybe she'll like this game better:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Am I just having a lovely day, or did it get nasty in here?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Argh! Is there some obvious ways to get the cards back into Mage Knight? Everything is kept in lovely moulded plastic boxes, but there doesn't seem to enough room for all the cards in the card slot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ours go in baggies underneath the inserts. But Mage Knight lives in at least two boxes; unless you sacrifice the inserts you can't fit it all in one box anyway the minute you get any expansions.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

OmegaGoo posted:

Pretty standard jokes. I'm sorry for your day, friend :/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OmegaGoo posted:

Nobody's mentioned Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity or the f-word, so it's been pretty calm considering.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of Mage Knight what would be an easier scenario to do in Solo play? I'm thinking of the shorter variant of Conquest i don't really want to fiddle with the dummy player. Either of the Volkare scenarios would eliminate that problem but then his would be a bit harder to do considering you're by yourself against his army.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of Mage Knight what would be an easier scenario to do in Solo play? I'm thinking of the shorter variant of Conquest i don't really want to fiddle with the dummy player. Either of the Volkare scenarios would eliminate that problem but then his would be a bit harder to do considering you're by yourself against his army.

Get the IOS dummy player app someone made for Mage Knight. It's perfectly serviceable :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Nobody's mentioned Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity or the f-word, so it's been pretty calm considering.

Talking to co-workers at a new job, one of them asks if I play board games. Excitedly I show off some stuff sitting in my car. He was really interested in Dungeon Lords and I couldn't be happier until...

"The wife and I enjoy Munchkin. We've got all the expansions."