Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I haven't but I absolutely would. I did use mine to pasteurize eggs so my wife could safely eat cookie dough when she was pregnant.

Anne Whateley posted:

Holy poo poo I see my future stretching out before me and it is a beautiful road of cookie dough

Raw flour is dangerous, too.

E: I guess the solution might be to sous vide the entire cookie dough mix and see if it doesn't separate.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

Thanks. I feel like even if I shoot well into the pasteurized ranges, things will probably come out tasting better than me incinerating stuff with traditional cooking methods because I'm too worried about it.

You can do 140F chicken safely, just make sure you do it long enough. Pasteurization is like 30+ minutes at temp instead a of seconds at 180 or whatever BS the USDA recommends. The chicken will still be moist and awesome, no worries about that.
I have an iOS app that helps calculate time and pasteurization based on meat type and size/shape. MC and other books have tables and references as well, but I like the app.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
SousVide Dash is the app I use. It's great.

Smiling Jack posted:

If I clip the bag to the pot and there's a bit of bag above the water line and I maybe didn't get a near-perfect vacuum in my ziplock bag, that's not a health issue, right?

You'll likely die, but it'll probably be slow and horrible so you'll have time to bid farewell to your loved ones.

(It's fine.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Raw flour is dangerous, too.

E: I guess the solution might be to sous vide the entire cookie dough mix and see if it doesn't separate.

What's dangerous about raw flour?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

You can do 140F chicken safely, just make sure you do it long enough. Pasteurization is like 30+ minutes at temp instead a of seconds at 180 or whatever BS the USDA recommends. The chicken will still be moist and awesome, no worries about that.
I have an iOS app that helps calculate time and pasteurization based on meat type and size/shape. MC and other books have tables and references as well, but I like the app.

What's the name of the app?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If you're going to be feeding immunocompromised people, Douglas Baldwin's A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking is free and has pasteurization time tables for different sizes of different types of things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anne Whateley posted:

Holy poo poo I see my future stretching out before me and it is a beautiful road of cookie dough

Or, you know, you could just buy pasteurized eggs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Phanatic posted:

Or, you know, you could just buy pasteurized eggs.
Planning ahead, going to a grocery store, and paying more feels like more effort than dropping normal eggs in the bath for 90 minutes. Don't judge me bro :effort:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's dangerous about raw flour?

There was an E. coli outbreak back in 2009 that scientists eventually tied to raw flour used in some Nestle cookie dough. It's fairly rare, but after two separate contaminated batches Nestle started pasteurizing the four they use in their refrigerated dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nestle also has lead and MSG in MSG free noodles sooo they're sorta the worst company ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Nestle also has lead and MSG in MSG free noodles sooo they're sorta the worst company ever.
Crapping out on process controls is crapping out on process controls and I'm not going to downplay that, but lo loving l at MSG-free noodles.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mr. Wookums posted:

Nestle might legitimately be the worst company ever for a whole host of other reasons, like that thing where they tricked uneducated African mothers into using free baby formula, then started charging for it once they could no longer produce breast milk, but yeah the noodle thing is hilarious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Cool, I bought that Anova. The shopping cart didn't work in Chrome but worked fine in Safari.

So now I need a vacuum sealer. What's the practical difference between the 2244 and the 3240 Food Savers?

(Those were just the top 2 on Amazon)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cool, I bought that Anova. The shopping cart didn't work in Chrome but worked fine in Safari.

So now I need a vacuum sealer. What's the practical difference between the 2244 and the 3240 Food Savers?

(Those were just the top 2 on Amazon)

The tall food savers store a small roll of plastic in the top.

Other differences to consider between models are whether they have a 'moist mode' and whether you want the peripheral hose that can vacuum the resealable bags and different canisters that are available.

Apparently the bigger models may be more powerful but this is apparently a negligible difference.

I bought the biggest fanciest foodsaver and wound up wishing I'd just got the small cheap one. The roll storage isn't large enough to contain the big non-branded rolls you should buy from eBay, moist mode doesn't really work, I don't use the peripherals, the power difference doesn't matter, and the big one is loving huge and hard to store.

E: also, always check slickdeals for foodsaver stuff. There's usually a deal somewhere. http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Food+saver&searchin=first

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 6, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
130F chicken breast. Would do again.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I really honestly wouldn't bother using a non-chamber sealer over a ziplock bag.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Have a friend travelling to the US, so I'm thinking of having him bring me back a polyscience circulator.

Any particular reasons to prefer the Creative (400$) over the Discovery (300$)?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I really honestly wouldn't bother using a non-chamber sealer over a ziplock bag.

This, except for big meats like a giant pork loin or shoulder, etc. The rolls of bags are nice for that.

At home I never use the foodsaver anymore, just freezer bags from costco.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm on board with spending half a grand for kitchen things like a Vitamix or Kitchen Aid but a vacuum chamber sealer is just a bit too much. Do you guys seriously have $600 vacuum sealers in your kitchen?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Are you missing the posts right above you that say just to use ziplocs?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just use ziploc bags. You don't need a vacuum sealer unless you are a professional kitchen

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

following this youtube recipe... the two I bought are "choice" and definitely not 2" but... I'm gonna try 2h @ 132

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62vtYfjOyg

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Just use ziploc bags. You don't need a vacuum sealer unless you are a professional kitchen

You do need one if you have a lovely freezer that burns the hell out of anything thats not vacuum sealed.

That said this is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V22...FD5MYACG0NCJEBJ

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Are you missing the posts right above you that say just to use ziplocs?

No I didn't miss that. I was responding to the person who said they wouldn't bother using anything other than a vacuum chamber sealer.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

drukqs posted:

following this youtube recipe... the two I bought are "choice" and definitely not 2" but... I'm gonna try 2h @ 132

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62vtYfjOyg

really kind of dropped the ball on the crust but my torch is NOT meant to be aimed at any kind of an angle. Need to upgrade.

Absolutely delicious, though.... Gaddamnnnnnnnnnnn

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Senior Funkenstien posted:

You do need one if you have a lovely freezer that burns the hell out of anything thats not vacuum sealed.

That said this is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V22...FD5MYACG0NCJEBJ

Doesn't this just mean you need a better freezer though?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CrazySalamander posted:

Doesn't this just mean you need a better freezer though?

Buy a $20 vacuum sealer or a new freezer hmmm.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

drukqs posted:

really kind of dropped the ball on the crust but my torch is NOT meant to be aimed at any kind of an angle. Need to upgrade.

Absolutely delicious, though.... Gaddamnnnnnnnnnnn

Woof. Don't use your torch anymore. Use a really hot pan.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Woof. Don't use your torch anymore. Use a really hot pan.

Cast iron mandatory?

this is the ONLY pan I own and... I don't think Teflon would be happy getting red hot

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Textured-Ceramic-Non-Stick-Coating/dp/B005473FMO/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

What's the name of the app?

I use PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox, but I think it is just another app re skinned. I like it though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

drukqs posted:

Cast iron mandatory?

this is the ONLY pan I own and... I don't think Teflon would be happy getting red hot

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Textured-Ceramic-Non-Stick-Coating/dp/B005473FMO/

It could be carbon steel or a sauté pan or whatever. Cast iron is cheap if you don't own those though.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you link me to which cambro that is? I kinda want one that takes up little room for single meals.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XAXKPY

a bit spendy but I like it

(and the single review says "great for 2-3 servings")

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Senior Funkenstien posted:

The model I use was discontinued (I got last one from Costco). http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%C2%AE-FM2100-Vacuum-Sealer.product.100148601.html is cheap as the cheaper one linked, but has internal bag storage/cutter (which I love -- I buy the big rolls from amazon, wind 1/3rd at a time onto a core and keep that in the machine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Ziploc bag probably wouldn't manage for 3 days for short ribs, I'd think. Especially if they're like the lovely SYSCO ones.

I'd suggest a cheap seal-a-meal with the rolls of bags you can get on amazon dirt cheap. If you can afford a chamber sealer, buy uline 3mil bags in whatever size you prefer, I like the 4x6 bags.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I use PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox, but I think it is just another app re skinned. I like it though.

http://www.sousvidedash.com/ is the original name.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would also suggest against using ziploc bags for long cooks because the white paint on them comes off after about 48 hours and turns the water all painty and chalky (unless you're using a convection system)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I would also suggest against using ziploc bags for long cooks because the white paint on them comes off after about 48 hours and turns the water all painty and chalky (unless you're using a convection system)

Ooooooooooh, that's what's coating my pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm drooling over Kenji's current run of sous vide chicken salad recipes and figure the Father's Day discount is as good a time as any to take the plunge. Just have some basic questions before I do:

How big is the shipped box for the Anova cooker? (i.e.: can I have it delivered to my office and haul it home by bike?)

There's been talks of cambros for the last few pages, why use those over a plain stock pot?