Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

The best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I guess turfwars are harder on women.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

For a 'random' team generator, it sure loves saddling me with teams of nothing but rollers, brushes and aerosprays when we're up against 96 gals, splattershot pros, and chargers all of a sudden. I was 1 win away from getting into B+ and now I'm only 1 loss away from being bumped back down to B- :suicide:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just got the Aerospray and I AM DRUNK ON MY OWN TERRIBLE POWER

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

you think that's bad I won a turf war by ONE POINT. Glad my gf saw that one cause I was sure we didn't win.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

you think that's bad I won a turf war by ONE POINT. Glad my gf saw that one cause I was sure we didn't win.

I'm not entirely sure since I didn't get a good look at the scores, but I swear that once during the testfire demo my team had the same exact number of points as the bad guys for one match (we still lost.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
When you real roll items, does it just change the secondary perks or does it also change the main one? I'm wondering if I can reroll the Samurai amiibo gear to have the ninja squid/stealth squid jump perks.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

When you real roll items, does it just change the secondary perks or does it also change the main one? I'm wondering if I can reroll the Samurai amiibo gear to have the ninja squid/stealth squid jump perks.

Just the secondary perks, and it rerolls all of them at once.

Super Armatron
Nov 10, 2005
crushing gripping lifting mutilating
Holy poo poo the paintbrush is so much fun, although I'm going to be super disappointed if they don't make a variant called The Pollock at some point. I mean the pun writes itself!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This game likes to lock off info until you're a high enough rank to be allowed to know it exists, so I'll probably find out when my scrub freshness is better, but a couple of questions:

--how do I get higher-star gear other than through Spyke?
--does Spyke charge a markup? He wants 15000 for a cool gas mask and I donno if everything's gonna cost that much.
--Corollary: is the better-looking gear always higher-star? Does it show in the store as well just rarely? Does everyone get the same store selection every day?
--other than "play games for freshness, play single-player for blueprints" is there anything else I should be doing now to open up options later?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bruceski posted:

This game likes to lock off info until you're a high enough rank to be allowed to know it exists, so I'll probably find out when my scrub freshness is better, but a couple of questions:

--how do I get higher-star gear other than through Spyke?
--does Spyke charge a markup? He wants 15000 for a cool gas mask and I donno if everything's gonna cost that much.
--Corollary: is the better-looking gear always higher-star? Does it show in the store as well just rarely? Does everyone get the same store selection every day?
--other than "play games for freshness, play single-player for blueprints" is there anything else I should be doing now to open up options later?

-Level up.
-Does he ever.
-It's all in the eye of the beholder, but once you hit Lv20, Spyke will upgrade and reroll gear that you already have, so you can properly focus on fashion. Just buy whatever you think looks cool or has really good abilities and sort it out later.
-If you have amiibos, the challenge missions give you loads of cash, exclusive gear, and new minigames to play during loading screens.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder what people did before there was Splatoon

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes I remember what life was like before Splatoon. But then the match starts and I have to stop.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Bruceski posted:

It will cost you 120,000 to make your Tinted Shades and Neon Sea Slugs have max slots.
The game goes out of its way to make the best looking gear one star, and its worst looking gear 3 stars.
Its why you see so many morons with football helmets running around.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

That football helmet makes me feel like Commander Keen, ok?!?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there any difference between a 2 star with an added slot and a 3 star item? I added a slot to my Ninja Squid hoodie, but I feel like i'm not getting the same kinda numbers I got with my hosed up shirt.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Beat the story mode earlier this afternoon, as everyone else said the final boss was pretty amazing. That being said I think my favorite story mode moment was on the Rig battle map against the octolings. One of the miiverse posts that showed up was Waddles from Gravity Falls decked out with a charger rifle and goggles. :3:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Is there any difference between a 2 star with an added slot and a 3 star item?

Nope, shouldn't be. Upgrades just add another star onto the clothing.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

[Inkbrush tips]
Another neat trick is using it from height because of the shotgun spread of it (had a couple okay runs in ranked with it against rushers). That plus sprinkler in the other direction can make an enemy paranoid and hole up, even if you don't want to risk having to ambush and just sprint away afterwards.

I find it weird people freak out about the points for rollers and others in unranked; if they're trying some technique or pushback near a constant enemy pathway they're not going to get many points in the end (or maybe they just hate their special anyway), even if they do a fair job of stopping them while others focus on points.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Equipment ranks don't mean nearly as much as your skill and weapon choice do. I've gotten my rear end beaten by people wearing 1-star gear, and have done well likewise. Sub bonuses don't really add up to much except in certain situations and the only main bonuses worth a drat are Recon, Ink Resistance, and the Ninja ones. And you don't really need any of those if you play smart.

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope this means the actual matches themselves take place at night as well, that'd be cool

Yup!

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 6, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
It's something wonderful when the fact that you stayed behind and successfully defended your homebase from the enemy splatoon and helped cover up after all the krakens and inkstrikes and paintbrush rollers that you're rewarded with a win and inked the most ground for the match. :c00lbert:

(Also helps that I got some good shots in on the Roller inklings with the kraken, but not while they were a Kraken, using the bomb toss special.)

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Icedude posted:

Nope, shouldn't be. Upgrades just add another star onto the clothing.

Icedude is right as far as in-game effects are concerned, but a couple of corollaries: the one piece of Gear I added a Slot to still shows as 2 stars, even with three slots. In addition, it took only 10000 exp to get the third ability instead of 15000 exp like a three-star item.

Once the Splatfest occurs I imagine we'll see a lot more 1 or 2 star gear with lots added, and then all the exp differences will probably be documented somewhere online.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Help Im Alive posted:

I went to school, because that's what kids do..

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I only just now realized we had a form in the first post. Added myself and will be going through later to add people.

I think the hardest part of this game for me is remembering my engagement ranges as I switch weapons. I have a habit of squidding in with the 96 gal, but then hanging back with the aerospray.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's something wonderful when the fact that you stayed behind and successfully defended your homebase from the enemy splatoon and helped cover up after all the krakens and inkstrikes and paintbrush rollers that you're rewarded with a win and inked the most ground for the match. :c00lbert:

(Also helps that I got some good shots in on the Roller inklings with the kraken, but not while they were a Kraken, using the bomb toss special.)

Conversely, it's the worst when you push through and single handedly cover the enemy base, only to find that the rest of your team has done jack poo poo and the entire rest of the map is now enemy colored.

And good god dammit do I hate when your teammates just let enemy rollers gently caress around and run wild so they can transform into a loving kraken every time you run into them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The abilities that really matter on gear are the primary ones, but those are the ones you can't change. Unfortunately, there are a lot of abilities that are mediocre compared to really good ones and others that are complete trash.

Unrelated: I was pretty happy I got up to B ranking earlier this week. However my little brother has managed to drive our rank back down to C in a single day! :shepface:

VVV Yeah but gently caress grinding out the levels and equipment again. I don't care about my rank THAT much, I'm just surprised he ruined it so fast since I thought he was actually better than me at the game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 6, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Unrelated: I was pretty happy I got up to B ranking earlier this week. However my little brother has managed to drive our rank back down to C in a single day! :shepface:

You can have a different profile for each NNID! You don't need to suffer the tyranny of siblings.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

Equipment ranks don't mean nearly as much as your skill and weapon choice do. I've gotten my rear end beaten by people wearing 1-star gear, and have done well likewise. Sub bonuses don't really add up to much except in certain situations and the only main bonuses worth a drat are Recon, Ink Resistance, and the Ninja ones. And you don't really need any of those if you play smart.

Yup!

drat the ink looks bio-luminescent at night

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Reiley posted:

You can have a different profile for each NNID! You don't need to suffer the tyranny of siblings.

"little brother"

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Man, Bomb Sniffer is great. It gives me a good warning when someone just threw a bomb way before it lands on the ground. It also gave me time to 2 step shuffle those tiny boat now. I just wish that it wasn't exclusive to shoes so that I could have Ink Resistance Up too.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dr. VooDoo posted:

drat the ink looks bio-luminescent at night

Dude I would dig a level where the stage was almost Pitch dark but your ink lit up the stage.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Beat the story. I get what a lot of people say when they think the final boss is too long but...

That kicked rear end.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 7, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I decided to try the brush and I'm playing against a team of four rollers. I have never been more frustrated.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren::krakken::siren: Friendly reminder to join #splagoons on SynIRC if you haven't already :siren::krakken::siren:

We've got a good little community happening in there with roughly 50~ odd goons constantly playing Splatoon you can join in with.
When team ranked play finally hits we're planning on curb stomping the competition

:getin:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flytrap posted:

Beat the story. I get what a lot of people say when they think it's too long but...

People say that?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

:vince:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fix posted:

People say that?

I missed a few words that change the meaning because I am a dumbass.

When they say the FINAL BOSS is too long.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
People say that?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish the other boss fights ramped up that much in length/difficulty because they're cool but super easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Flytrap posted:

When they say the FINAL BOSS is too long.

He's tough but not too long - though it is frustrating if it takes a few attempts
He definitely gets easier after you've done it once - I didn't actually have trouble on any of my amiibo attempts

• Locked thread