Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't even understand why they tried to say Beasts were stand-ins for outsiders and the LGBTs and all that. Why would any of them want to have unrepentant monsters represent them? You figure something like Demon or Changeling or Promethean would suit them better, what with the themes of rebellion, escaping abuse, and finding peace with yourself that those lines have, plus the fact that you can play as a good guy in those lines instead of an abusive jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Part of me now wants to get a copy and run a game of it with the weird narrative dissonance tossed out. Openly play a game of terrible abusers.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 6, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't even understand why they tried to say Beasts were stand-ins for outsiders and the LGBTs and all that. Why would any of them want to have unrepentant monsters represent them? You figure something like Demon or Changeling or Promethean would suit them better, what with the themes of rebellion, escaping abuse, and finding peace with yourself that those lines have, plus the fact that you can play as a good guy in those lines instead of an abusive jerk.

It's trying to be Nightbreed: the roleplaying game. It doesn't quite pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EYyYEu0LY

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So someone pointed out elsewhere that if you just reverse who makes who, Beast almost works. Heroes occur naturally. They're basically a sort of variant proto-slasher. But when they go looking for a monster to slay, to vindicate their urges, sometimes, somehow, they make one. Maybe it's a blessing from the dark mother or whatever, but their helpless victim becomes a monster who can stand against them.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

unseenlibrarian posted:

So someone pointed out elsewhere that if you just reverse who makes who, Beast almost works. Heroes occur naturally. They're basically a sort of variant proto-slasher. But when they go looking for a monster to slay, to vindicate their urges, sometimes, somehow, they make one. Maybe it's a blessing from the dark mother or whatever, but their helpless victim becomes a monster who can stand against them.

Was thinking something like this -- specifically, that the Hero carries around a narrative, and that when they want to kill someone but can't justify it to themselves, the narrative makes them a monster so that the Hero can justify killing them. It's just that being a monster comes with scales and weird-colored blood, but also fangs and radioactive breath. The Beast's story is about whether they're willing to own the role of Monster -- whether they glut themselves on fear, despite the fact that feeding necessarily involves hurting people and actually being a Monster instead of just getting called Monster, or reject it, and thus become weaker and less able to fight Heroes, but maintain their narrative agency and humanity. Endgame would probably be something about breaking the narrative -- you're not the Real Hero whose heinous actions are all justified by the douchiness of your enemies or the Villain who deserves to be put down, you're just a person who is entirely sick of being treated like a monster, and you're not playing the Hero's bullshit game any more.

(Being full makes all your mystic mojo stronger, but requires some heinous poo poo to maintain and lets Heroes inflict Anathema on you, since you've totally bought into being the Monster. Starving yourself makes it harder for Heroes to find you, but also makes you vulnerable, since you're not acting like a Monster and have less access to the power associated with that role.)

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
I don't understand how that isn't how this game presents itself already. I'm sitting down to read it front to back now because it feels wrong to judge the book on anything but it's own text. The idea above is alarmingly close to an idea I was spitballing called Gorgon: The Aegis, a WoD game entirely around rebooting the incredibly terrible depiction of the Black Furies in Werewolf. Knowing my own writing skills I'd probably have hosed up exactly this badly and created a game that was precisely the opposite of intentions too.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
quote every stupid thing that makes you feel alive
quote every stupid thing to try to drive the dark away

Basically I have extreme reservations about Beast but i have downloaded the pdf, and I will make an honest effort to read this entire thing and approach it with an open mind. My qualifications are that I run a game of Vampire and am possessed of sound mind and body. Let's start

quote:

”I remember a time or two way out on the prairie ... I’d get the feelin’ somethin’ was behind me. Somethin’ waitin’ for me to become it."
—Garth Ennis, Preacher: Alamo

Well, whatever. That's a freebie.

quote:

You don’t suffer nightmares.
You cause them.

Okay

quote:

You were normal, once. At least more than you are now. You got up and went about your daily routine like anyone else — work, school, family, friends — with the same petty complaints and ambitions as anyone else you knew, except that you never quite fit in. It always felt like you stood apart from the rest of the herd; no matter how much you tried to be good, no one could argue that you had a cruel streak that ran bone deep.

Then came the day when you came face to face with the monster inside you, and suddenly it all made sense. You didn’t fit in with other people for the same reason a fox doesn’t fit in with a room full of poodles. It wasn’t cruelty in your nature: it was Hunger. Now you knew just how to feed it. Maybe it’s not pretty, sating these drives, but you don’t have a choice. It’s not your fault you’re what you are; since you can’t go back, you might as well make the best of it.

Besides, if you were honest with yourself, you wouldn’t go back if you could.

You still walk among the flock, but you certainly aren’t one of them anymore. You satisfy your Hunger as you will and leave nightmares in your wake, keeping the world properly afraid of the terrors that lurk just out of sight. You slide in and out of supernatural societies as easily as you blend in with the human one. You have your hunting grounds and your Lair, and you defend them fiercely against hostile Beasts, supernatural creatures, or the seemingly endless string of mortal Heroes that rise up to challenge you.

It’s not easy being the monster everyone was raised to hate and destroy. Maybe you do your best to minimize the harm, targeting the worst evildoers to sate your Hunger, or maybe you embrace your monstrous nature and become the villain of a thousand legends before you. No matter what, though, this is one monster story that doesn’t end with the monster’s death. Heroes be damned — you intend to be the one who has the last word.

Okay. A little overwrought but this is the line's corebook, so a non-self-aware declaration of power and ~badassery~ is par for the course

quote:

In Beast: The Primordial, you play one of the Children, a human being with the Soul of one of the great monsters of legend: dragons, gryphons, giants, kraken, and worse. All your life you’ve had the same nightmare, one of the classics so common to human nature. Hunted by a relentless predator. Dragged into the murky depths. Dropped from great heights. Held under the thumb of something huge and powerful. Or simply the inescapable dread that comes from knowing that some nameless, shapeless thing out there in the dark was stalking you. It was nothing human beings haven’t suffered since the dawn of civilization, except that you weren’t content to remain
the victim, and so one night you didn’t run. Instead you embraced the nightmare and became the monster. And in doing so, you realized: the Beast is what you have always been.

That's cool. Gryphons are cool.

quote:

This is the life of the Children: Preying on humanity while living within it, walking the mortal world and the worlds beyond as they fulfill the needs of their Soul, tending their Lair as they guard their territory, moving freely between mortal society and supernatural cultures as legends in both. Humans might think they know how a monster’s story ends, but Beasts refuse to accept the role they’ve been given. They write their own stories, letting no human — or Hero — dictate how it ends.

That's fair. Even nightmare spawning creatures of dark myth want to live

quote:

In order to understand a bit more about the characters in Beast: The Primordial, here are some common beliefs and how they align with the Begotten:
• Beasts aren’t human: True. Beasts are born like humans and seem human until their Homecoming, when they discover a spiritual link to nightmare monsters — their Souls. That is when they truly become Beasts, but even before that they are not really human.

• Beasts physically transform into monsters: Mostly false. Beasts do not shapeshift in the traditional sense, though they can use powers called Atavisms to temporarily gain certain advantages related to their Souls’ true shapes.

• Beasts are inherently evil: False. While Heroes like to think of the Children as absolutely evil, the truth is that a Beast is only as evil as her actions.

The splat I have the most familiarity with is Vampires, and I don't think of them as necessarily evil, as their moral nature is decided by their own free will while have full control of their actions. The bolded portion makes sense.

quote:

• Beasts are immortal: False. While a Beast with a well-established Lair can live for a very long time, they eventually perish of old age, assuming no Hero or other hazard gets them first.

Haha wait...what??

You're a legendary creature of primordial darkness and terror...whose soul exists in the nightmare dream realm...who will eventually just fuckin' die of old age. O-kay.

quote:

Regardless of the truth, all Beasts recognize her as not only the first of their kind, but also the first of all monsters. As far as the Begotten are concerned, vampires, werewolves, changelings, and other stranger things are simply younger siblings, branches of the family tree that have diverged but still share common roots. While other beings may scoff, Beasts have powers and abilities that seem to back their claim.

I cannot believe that the response to this from any self-respecting splat would be anything except "gently caress off" or "I didn't vote for her"

quote:

What do her children do? If Beasts can be said to have something close to a single purpose, it is to feast. Linked as they are to the Primordial Dream, the place where all nightmares are spawned, Beasts remind humanity and even other supernatural creatures that everyone has something to fear. A Beast does this by feeding her Hunger, which sates the primal part of her Soul, the great monster that dwells in the nightmare realm. If she does not indulge her Hunger, the Soul begins to wreak havoc in the minds of mortals around her, starting with her closest friends and relatives and quickly attracting the attention of Heroes bent on the Beast’s destruction.

Sowing nightmares is not their only purpose, however. Beasts also consider themselves the keepers of the Primordial Pathways and possess a great natural affinity for the worlds beyond. Even in the strangest spirit realm, the Children blend in as easily as they do among mortal populations and supernatural societies, scarcely provoking comment unless they call attention to themselves. Quite a few Beasts become devoted to traveling between worlds, bringing the fear of the Soul to the spirit realms just as their siblings do to the mundane world.

Hm

quote:

What do her children do? If Beasts can be said to have something close to a single purpose, it is to feast. Linked as they are to the Primordial Dream, the place where all nightmares are spawned, Beasts remind humanity and even other supernatural creatures that everyone has something to fear. A Beast does this by feeding her Hunger, which sates the primal part of her Soul, the great monster that dwells in the nightmare realm. If she does not indulge her Hunger, the Soul begins to wreak havoc in the minds of mortals around her, starting with her closest friends and relatives and quickly attracting the attention of Heroes bent on the Beast’s destruction.

quote:

• Beasts are inherently evil: False. While Heroes like to think of the Children as absolutely evil, the truth is that a Beast is only as evil as her actions.

Hmm.

quote:

Anyone can become a Beast. The potential to slide back into the first darkness and join the ranks of humanity’s nightmares made flesh dwells within every human heart. Still, the process of actually becoming one with the Soul and becoming a true Beast begins early, sometimes even in early childhood.

Wait, you just said-

quote:

• Beasts aren’t human: True. Beasts are born like humans and seem human until their Homecoming, when they discover a spiritual link to nightmare monsters — their Souls. That is when they truly become Beasts, but even before that they are not really human.

quote:

Of course, with relief comes horror, as the Beast realizes her terrible Hunger must be fed to keep the Soul appeased. Everything a Beast has learned since she was a child tells her the monster is
evil. The monster is at best a vicious animal to be slain by a victorious Hero. In most cases, the monster is an analog for Satan, lust, greed, or whatever other quality or being society wishes to demonize. The monster is vile, she is wrong; every story the Beast knows ends with the monster’s destruction. The Beast has to come to terms with knowing that she is the monster, and in most stories, she’s the villain.
The conclusion that Beasts quickly reach, of course, is that they need to define their own stories.

By...not doing evil things?

quote:

All Beasts have a primal drive called Hunger, which they must indulge to sate the appetite of the Soul. Hunger can be a very simple, direct thing, such as a drive to stalk and kill prey, or it can be more abstract, such as a need to punish others for their transgressions. Though the primal drives are the same, how Beasts interpret them can vary — instead of literally hunting prey to consume them, for example, a Beast might more metaphorically stalk a target and “consume” their trust.

However it is interpreted, Hunger must always feed the Soul’s appetite. Put another way, as older Beasts sometimes tell younger ones, “if someone eats, something gets eaten.” A Beast may console herself by thinking that she only hurts “bad people” to sate her Hunger, for example, but deep down she knows really anyone would do — and one day they just might.

Okay, but they need to do bad things. Spreading nightmares is bad. And if you don't, even worse things happen.

quote:

Where monsters hunt, Heroes follow. As a Beast grows in power, she inevitably attracts hunters, who follow the nightmares she leaves in her wake like tracks left in the dust.

Okay, so Beasts make Hunters as part of their mythological cycle.

quote:

Ultimately, Beasts recognize that the Hero cycle is as much a part of their nature as their Lair and their Soul. Humanity fears Beasts — that’s the intrinsic truth of what they are — and what humanity fears, it invariably attempts to destroy. Beasts quickly learn that they can’t become angry that people have that reaction; it’s reasonable. At the same time, though, the Children know that they have a right to exist. The world is a terrifying place, and the monsters in the dark are there for a reason. The dominant narrative may be “Hero arises, kills the monster,” but the Begotten see past that and know that it doesn’t have to be that way. Heroes, on the other hand, never question their own heroism — and that is why Beasts hate them.

Wait, what? How hosed up is that? Who cares if they're self-aware? You made them!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Calde posted:

I don't understand how that isn't how this game presents itself already. I'm sitting down to read it front to back now because it feels wrong to judge the book on anything but it's own text. The idea above is alarmingly close to an idea I was spitballing called Gorgon: The Aegis, a WoD game entirely around rebooting the incredibly terrible depiction of the Black Furies in Werewolf. Knowing my own writing skills I'd probably have hosed up exactly this badly and created a game that was precisely the opposite of intentions too.

Beast-as-written wants to subvert the Monomyth, but it basically just flips it on its head by making Beasts the Protagonists Who Can't Be Blamed For Anything and Heroes the Totally Unsympathetic Antagonists. What I'm going for is something where becoming the Ultimate Amoral Monster is something you have to do to some extent, because being a genuine monster makes you strong enough to not get murdered by Heroes, but it doesn't give you the moral high ground, and your endgame is about not having to be the villain any more where Beast-as-written is about being the Biggest Villain. Also, "Heroes make Beasts" gives us a reason to actually feel like Heroes are douches instead of people who fight dream-violating torture demons. (Alternatively, in this formulation, Heroes would be unrepentant, self-righteous monster-slaughterers because remorse, pity and doubt weaken the Hero role, and that makes it easy for the Beasts they inevitably generate to eat them alive.)

EDIT: Sort of inconsistent. Patched up.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Sowing nightmares is not their only purpose, however. Beasts also consider themselves the keepers of the Primordial Pathways and possess a great natural affinity for the worlds beyond. Even in the strangest spirit realm, the Children blend in as easily as they do among mortal populations and supernatural societies, scarcely provoking comment unless they call attention to themselves. Quite a few Beasts become devoted to traveling between worlds, bringing the fear of the Soul to the spirit realms just as their siblings do to the mundane world.

This is really funny, too, because it means Beasts not only essentially have no problem whatsoever blending into and co-opting mortal power structures, but that they're basically free to just wander around as they please through the Shadow, the Hedge, Arcadia itself, etc., because not only are they extremely potent power-wise, the very nature of all everywhere is conducive to them poking their noses into everyone else's business to talk more about themselves.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's just so unbelievably, pathetically lame that the consequences you suffer for not sating your Hunger is... your soul throws a temper tantrum. An imaginary temper tantrum that manifests solely in other people's dreams.

I really do think that the principle, fundamental problem with Beast is that everything Beasts do and are is cosmetic and perceptual. If you actually had to eat people - rather than "eat" people - you could at least build some interesting conflict off that. But noooo, instead you're playing Changeling: the Dreaming, Epic Badass Edition.

Actually, here's my loving question. If all Beasts do is subvert narratives, and Beasts are the oldest kind of monster... where did the narrative come from in the first place? How does there exist a thing for them to rebel against?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The open mind didn't last long. This is even dumber than previously indicated.

quote:

Atavisms
If Nightmares are an expression of the Beast’s connection to the Primordial Dream and the nature of fear, then Atavisms are the expression of her Soul. They allow the Beast to change herself or her immediate surroundings, at least momentarily, in order to grant her a measure of the Soul’s iconic capabilities, such as a giant’s strength, a hydra’s regeneration, a dragon’s fire, or a roc’s precision. Though some Atavisms physically transform the Beast at their most powerful, they mostly just assert the Soul’s true nature for a moment, using the Begotten as a conduit of sorts for their primordial power. The end result is possibly even more disconcerting, as a Beast’s perfectly ordinary-looking hands might leave devastating claw marks, or her flesh
may knit back together without so much of a single scale of the hydra showing through. Atavisms may not be subtle, but what they lack in subtlety they make up in raw power.

Kinship
Though other monsters might deny it (or simply not understand it), as far as Beasts are concerned, their family ties to other supernatural creatures are obvious. Beasts can recognize monsters and even supernaturally gifted humans on sight, and they can extend the blessing of the Dark Mother to energize another creature’s powers. They can even make use of otherworldly gateways created by their younger siblings, either to access their intended destination or to force a doorway to the Primordial Dream.

lol okay, so the Beasts get to keep their human forms AND be terrifying badasses, and also they know which splat everyone else is, because the Dark Mother is real, and every other splat's origin fluff just had rank pulled on it for some reason.

quote:

Inheritance
Every Beast reacts to their nature differently, and so it is no surprise that they should pursue different ultimate goals as well. The more experienced Begotten speak of something called the Inheritance, a condition where the Beast reaches a reckoning between her human nature and her Soul, and in the process becomes something different. Some undergo the Merger, where the Soul merges physically with the Beast, transforming into a violent creature that lurks in the dark places of the world. Such beings succumb to the Hero’s narrative, having lost enough of their own agency to be nothing more than a challenge for “champions.” Others Retreat instead, fleeing the physical world in favor of becoming nightmare spirits that haunt the Primordial Dream forever. The Retreat can also occur involuntarily, if the Beast’s human body dies while her Soul remains intact.
A rare few fully embrace both their Souls and their human natures become one of the Incarnate, incredibly powerful and dangerous beings whose synthesis of their dual nature is unparalleled. The Incarnate are the legends among legends, the true monsters of the World of Darkness.

The loss condition for this splat, beyond just dying, is losing access to your tvtropes phone app

quote:

Inspirational Material
Fiction
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein might not seem to be much of a Beast story at first, but it is a classic tale of what happens when a monstrous being is brought into the world, as well as who is truly to blame for the creature’s actions once so created. Unlike his film portrayals, the monster is quite intelligent and articulate, frustrated by a world that vilifies and alienates him for a life he had no say in living. One could even see the book as the Beast’s version, and the classic film portrayal as the distorted perspective of a Hero.

quote:

Bill Willingham’s Fables comic series is fairytale oriented, but many of the concepts behind Beast are still there: magical Lairs, journeys between fantastic worlds, monsters in human forms, the mythic cycle as a very real factor in day-to-day life, and a whole lot of inverted stories going in unexpected directions. In particular, Bigby Wolf would make an excellent Beast, a great wolf that walks like a man and whose Soul is the North Wind itself, as well as a reformed “villain” who must suppress his Hunger to hunt in order to fit in with the world around him.

That's cool, because I remember reading about Fables, and thinking "this is stupid" after I found out that Goldilocks was a bad caricature of leftism and feminism, and seeing a panel from it where Bigby Wolf praises the heroism of the state of Israel in standing up to its various enemies

quote:

When a Beast finally stops resisting the nightmare, and chooses instead to embrace it and become the monster in the dark, she realizes what she really is. That moment of Homecoming might be horrifying or revolting, but for the most part, it is a relief — the Beast finally understands.

quote:

Then came the day when you came face to face with the monster inside you, and suddenly it all made sense. You didn’t fit in with other people for the same reason a fox doesn’t fit in with a room full of poodles. It wasn’t cruelty in your nature: it was Hunger. Now you knew just how to feed it. Maybe it’s not pretty, sating these drives, but you don’t have a choice. It’s not your fault you’re what you are; since you can’t go back, you might as well make the best of it.

Okay, so the latter was wrong, and it's explicitly your own choice?

On to the Families!

quote:

The little people won’t hold you back anymore. They have their petty concerns: their debts, their hates, their loves. You tower above those petty concerns, a pillar of strength and unstoppable force. All your life you knew you were different—greater. You just didn’t realize how literal that was.You might say that your enemies are like toys in your hands, but that would mean you could even count anyone as an enemy. They’re not, not really. They’re mice standing up to cats. When they even bother to stand.

As one of the Anakim, you are power incarnate. Size is secondary; the Giants are raw strength and bottomless Hunger. To hunt as one of the Anakim is to overwhelm your prey by the force of your own magnificent body. No one stands up to you. Who could, when you stand so tall?

Nothing screams sympathetic monster like embittered sociopathy!

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Crion posted:

This is really funny, too, because it means Beasts not only essentially have no problem whatsoever blending into and co-opting mortal power structures, but that they're basically free to just wander around as they please through the Shadow, the Hedge, Arcadia itself, etc., because not only are they extremely potent power-wise, the very nature of all everywhere is conducive to them poking their noses into everyone else's business to talk more about themselves.

The ur-beast is a sealion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

This is really irritating because it goes against pretty much everything every other line has said about a ton of realms. Places that only archmasters, changelings that are at risk of becoming gentry, and/or werewolves that bleed essence when in the material can go to? Beasts can go those places and not even be in danger. Yes, good, please have your crappy mary sue splat dilute the impact of every realm ever printed at once.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

For all that they can express dominance by other means, the Anakim are creatures of force. Its use and abuse come naturally to them. Once per scene, they can break through any physical obstacle in a single turn. A physical obstacle enhanced by magic or supernatural power requires the player to expend a point of Satiety.

That's an innocuous turn of phrase, until you get to the stereotype quotes. Also, let's take a second to pour some out for stereotype quotes from other corebooks . They're always obnoxiously smug and blinkered, but at least they're not as bad at these ones. Anyway!

quote:

Vampire: Control isn’t love. Trust me.
Werewolf: You can call that big. I guess.
Mage: Pure discipline, wasted on sacks of meat.
Promethean: You’re strong. You’re indestructible. There ain’t room for the both of us.
Changeling: Why strike bargains with the people you tower over?
Sin-Eater: People shouldn’t get back up after I’ve torn them down. Stop that!
Mummy: No one judges me.
Demon: What would happen if I tore off your masks? Would anything remain?

Oh man! You know why that sounded weird? Because, it turns out, that you're a huge loving creep. Also, aren't Beasts supposed to get along with the other splats?

Also, hilariously, there aren't any stereotype quotes about other Beasts. They're solely for other splats.

quote:

Often only a single feature of the Lurker is visible in the dream; shining eyes, an animal stench, the scratch of claws on a bare leg. The Eshmaki is a nightmare’s nightmare, a thing that avoids form except when it leaps out for the kill...which is of course when the prey wakes up.
The damage wrought by the Eshmaki’s Soul is immense. It leaves trembling victims in its wake, unsure of what they fear or what they should fear. It leaves prey jumping at shadows, even after they awake in their sweat-soaked sheets.

quote:

Nice.

quote:

Werewolf: You watch boundaries. I violate them. Let’s be friends.

??????????

quote:

Mage: Met one once. His dreams smelled of old knowledge, ancient and true. So I ate him.

Please stop.

quote:

It’s her freshman year in high school, and some of her friends feel like they’re drowning. There’s more homework, more people, more of everything that makes life hard. She only wishes she was drowning. The water’s where she feels alive. Swim team would help, maybe. But who’s got time? She can’t help lashing out from time to time, letting her real self rise to the surface. She’s afraid someone will notice, but sometimes she wants them to. Sometimes she wants people to know that she’s different and that they should be afraid.

Nice.

quote:

When you were young, you were quiet. People said still waters ran deep. You wouldn’t know. For you, the waters have never been still, even in their darkest depths. You were always set apart. Maybe you lived near the water, maybe not. It didn’t matter. The rush of the tides was always in your veins. And now that you’ve come into your own, you’re both the force of the waves and the thing they hide, the shadow from the deep that claims wary and unwary alike.

Some other Beasts see you and shiver at the thought of drowning on dry land. But you’re more than that. You’re not just the choking power of the depths, not just the pounding waves and the crushing pressure, you’re the knowledge, too. You’re a link to the drowned history of humanity, to the knowledge that the oceans have reclaimed. To the sunken temples and lost continents, to the ugly wreckage and watery graves.

smdh. Did no one learn the lesson of Aquaman? I guess they kind of did, because they get a grappling bonus.

quote:

She sculpts statues of famous people. Even other Beasts think it’s an affectation, a callback to the Medusa myth so well-known and well-beloved by the Namtaru. Even so, it’s hard not to notice that the ones she keeps in her studio instead of selling them to the public are twisted in expressions of fear and agony. Truth is, she’s working up her courage with every hammer of the chisel. It’s not a collection. It’s a hit list.
He takes on the cases no one else will. Stalking. Domestic violence. Every kind of abuse. When people tell you the system can’t help you, he comes in. He’s not a vigilante, at least not in the sense of lurking in alleys and breaking the kneecaps of evil men. He’s a lawyer and he knows how to channel every last bit of the fear he conjures into protecting his clients. He is the monster that monsters fear, even as they hide behind the flimsy protection of the law.

She’s the last thing you’ll ever see. Not a murderess, not an angel of death, but the night shift nurse. They keep her on nights because she has a habit of upsetting visitors. She’s plain- speaking, rough-voiced. She offers no comfort where it would be illusory, no word of kindness where it would be forced. But put her on at night... and, well, some of the problems seem to go away. Whatever it is that lives in the basement and sucks the life out of patients when they’re nearing the end... it’s afraid of her. And so, when your time comes naturally, the last thing you’ll see is a smiling, rough-hewn, face.

He works in a clinic, the kind where they give free needles to junkies to try and curb the spread of disease just a little bit, even if they can’t do anything about the spread of addiction. He takes
no poo poo, not from the addicts and not from his supervisor. He’s damned efficient and he doesn’t let anybody push his customers around, either. Not to mention he works for peanuts — well, peanuts and that collection of dirty syringes he can’t help but secret away.

Here you can actually see the exact moment in the pdf where the writers were like hey so we kind of made these guys sound like insane assholes, better make some of them tolerable. But remember to keep in that they don't take anybody's poo poo!!!

quote:

Vampire: You take the ground, I’ll take the sky. By morning, it’s all ours.
Werewolf: It’s only polite to eat what you kill.
Mage: The tighter you grasp, the faster you slip.
Promethean: If it’s any comfort, from up there you look the same as any of them.
Changeling: I wish I could just carry you away. But that would bring flashbacks, wouldn’t it?

Good golly. Poor changelings.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So, would it be bad taste to put a review in the Fatal and Friends thread before the book even comes out?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Tyrants are Beasts who crave power, feeding off the act of besting someone and proving their own superiority. They bask in the fear, respect, and trembling worship of those beneath them, whether the Beast is standing at the top of the pyramid or controlling things from the shadows while their subjects tremble at the thought of their unseen king.

:stare:

quote:

A Tyrant hunts in as many ways as there are people to master. A literal hunt provides the quickest route towards satisfying the Hunger for Power on short notice. Finding some drunken thug in a bar and pinning him against a brick wall in the back alley while forcing him to beg for his life is usually enough to satisfy a Tyrant’s immediate cravings, but many consider this a rather inelegant approach to feeding.

:stare:

quote:

A Beast is always more than merely human; a Tyrant thrills in reminding those below him just how powerless tiny mortals really are against the stuff of nightmares. Should a Tyrant fail to find proper subjects during his waking hours, his Soul stalks through the dreamscape and brings them subjugation while they slumber.

I feel gross. I can't believe someone took the worst and most upsetting part of the Vampire metaphor even further.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Changeling: I wish I could just carry you away. But that would bring flashbacks, wouldn’t it?

If Beast's writers are willing to go this far, they really should just be honest about the kind of characters they're writing and have them openly mock the concept of triggering by name.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Not all of those who hunger for Power are so straightforward. If a Tyrant considers himself above such brutish displays, he’ll find other sources for what he needs. A corporate Tyrant might feed by orchestrating his own promotion over that of a hated colleague, delighting as he forces his former equal to polish the nameplate on the door of the Beast’s new corner office. A Tyrant lawyer could find herself working in criminal law, feeding from those moments where the opposing attorney realizes he’s lost the case against her superior skill, regardless of whether the accused is guilty or innocent. If his talents don’t lend themselves towards climbing the ladder of power within an institution, a Tyrant will seek out opponents to best through competition. Competitive sports work nearly as well as physical violence, as long as the opponent is invested enough in the outcome to feel the sting and shame of defeat. A more cunning Tyrant may propose matching wits with his victims through puzzles or games of skill instead, engineering situations where he can prove his superior intelligence.

Haha, gently caress off. You can't write the Tyrant introduction and then try and pull the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer out of your rear end.

quote:

Jo doesn’t tower over her prey — she’s short, but she’s all muscle. She enjoys letting other people challenge her, especially men. The challenge isn’t always or even usually physical. Sometimes they try to test her knowledge on topics they think she shouldn’t understand, or try to explain things to her that it’s obvious she knows. She destroys them; she knows what they know and she pokes holes in their beliefs and their facts, showing them sides of the topic they never considered. Secretly, though, she relishes the rare times when a man gets so mad he tries to touch her, because then she can beat him in a way that leaves no room for argument.

This is like a mean parody of feminist power fantasies. Who made this, my god

quote:

Reynold is a health inspector for the city. When his Soul hungers, he dons rubber gloves and tests everything. He quizzes employees, he looks for the slightest bit of mold or dirt, and he happily provides miles of appeals forms to the owner. He refuses bribes and dutifully reports any attempt. He isn’t after money, after all. He’s after the frustration and defeat in their eyes.

No comment. No comment. No comment. No comment. No commWHO WOULD WANT TO PLAY AS THIS SAMPLE CHARACTER

quote:

Makara Tyrants enforce their rule with the very Lairs in which they dwell: as masters of the depths, they have an entire sea of nightmares at their back when they hunt. The victim of such a Tyrant may not even recognize an intelligent force behind his misery when the world starts to work against him, only to find out at the last minute that a keen and malevolent mind has plotted to take him out of his element and into hers. The Makara Tyrant’s Soul rules her nightmarish oceans with the same subtle menace, forcefully reminding her victims of how powerless they are in the Beast’s waters.

Stop

quote:

Ari drives a cab. He goes to the parts of the city that the other cabbies won’t. He knows every bit of the city — the poor neighborhoods where everyone looks out for each other and the rich neighborhoods where everyone’s a stranger. When he feels his Hunger, he picks someone up and drops them in a place they’ve never seen before, a place where just walking down the street will get them arrested or jumped. He never lets anyone die, though. He just wants each little fish to know how far from its home pond it has strayed.

quote:

No one wants to get sent to the principal’s office, but especially not with Ms. Blaise there. Ms. Blaise is the assistant principal, but the real principal is just as scared of her as the kids. She has a pet scorpion in a tank on her desk. She always feeds it when she’s talking to a kid in trouble. Sometimes kids cry, sometimes they mumble apologies, but no one gets sent to Ms. Blaise twice. That’s actually a problem for Ms. Blaise — she needs kids to misbehave. She’s hungry, and so is her scorpion.

*screams*

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kavak posted:

So, would it be bad taste to put a review in the Fatal and Friends thread before the book even comes out?

I'd give it a few days. See if McFarland or Rich T make any kind of official statement about this.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Hunger for the Hoard The Collectors
“I wanted it more than he did. That makes it mine.”

quote:

♫ So, extremely ♫

quote:

Zmei is a burglar...of a sort. He doesn’t creep in quietly or slip through windows. He walks in, takes what he wants (he’s partial to silver), and leaves. If the homeowner wants to try and stop them, they’re free to do so. If they can stop him, Zmei feels, they deserve to keep their belongings.

♫This has ♫
♫ no coherent sense of tone or self-awareness ♫
♫ my god it's dumb ♫
♫ remember that the beasts are the ones you'll be playing ♫

quote:

Yin found a little hollow just off the coast. She swims out there once a day with a plastic bag. She always has something heavy in the bag, and she always comes back to the beach without it. Once, someone from her neighborhood decided to grab the bag and peek in, but no one’s sure what happened after that because a storm blew up out of nowhere. Next time anyone saw Yin, she was walking into the water with two bags.

This isn't the worst sample character. But holy poo poo it's the most pointless

quote:

Anya owns an apple orchard. Each tree has a ribbon tied around the top. Some of them are red, some are yellow, some are green, and most people who visit the orchard and buy her apples assume the ribbons correspond to the specific type of apple the tree bears. But that isn’t it. Anya goes out into the orchard at night and checks the ribbons, reminiscing about the day each tree was planted. The ribbons don’t match the apples. They remind Anya what she buried when she planted the tree. Red for something stained with blood, yellow for something stolen, green for something never touched or tasted. Anya only buries things that will nourish her trees, though.

You know what? This one is cool.

quote:

Humans think that they’re on top of the food chain, preying on animals that are bigger and stronger than they are. But some part of them remembers a time before they were the ultimate hunters, and knows more fearsome creatures see them nothing more than the next meal. Predators remind the world’s self-declared alpha predators that when you catch one of them alone at night, they’re nothing more than helpless, hairless monkeys.

So, you might have picked up a certain..enthusiasm for something, in this game. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

quote:

Darius took his name and his hunting style from a werewolf he met once. He chases down his prey and breaks a bone — arm, leg, neck, doesn’t matter, as long as he can hear the crack. He inflicts pain and fear in his prey and leaves behind a crippled, terrified person...or sometimes just a corpse, depending on how loudly his Soul howls.

There was this weird part in the Werewolf 2E book where it talked about a bunch of Hunters in Darkness going to the Rockies every so often, picking a country road, and just straight up slaughtering anyone they found. Weird! i thought, but I get it, because they're protagonists, and not necessarily heroes. They made this entire book out of that one section, and then gave them an antagonist you're forbidden to sympathize with.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Jo doesn’t tower over her prey — she’s short, but she’s all muscle. She enjoys letting other people challenge her, especially men. The challenge isn’t always or even usually physical. Sometimes they try to test her knowledge on topics they think she shouldn’t understand, or try to explain things to her that it’s obvious she knows. She destroys them; she knows what they know and she pokes holes in their beliefs and their facts, showing them sides of the topic they never considered. Secretly, though, she relishes the rare times when a man gets so mad he tries to touch her, because then she can beat him in a way that leaves no room for argument.

Theoretical PC Jo here deserves special mention for the way she duel-wields the master's tools against the master's house

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

tatankatonk posted:

I feel gross. I can't believe someone took the worst and most upsetting part of the Vampire metaphor even further.

Except they don't do anything! They have to make people feel dominated but don't actually have to dominate. Beasts are Israel's post-modern military strategy, which makes the invocation of Fables all the more apt.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

*writes a sample character that mechanically and demonstrably gets off on psychologically abusing children in her care in tyool 2015* For real though these are the good guys and you should be friends with them, everyone.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

So Beasts aren't evil because sometimes they don't kill people. They just literally feed by being abusive and horrible people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'd give it a few days. See if McFarland or Rich T make any kind of official statement about this.

An official statement like "Thanks for taking us 27k over our goal with 25 days to go!"?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

You know what? All of these Hungers so far are pretty lovely and hurtful. But there's hope on the horizon.

quote:

Hunger for Punishment The Nemeses
“I know what you’ve done. Now it’s time for you to pay.”
Every culture has its boogeymen. Make one mistake, and the monsters will come to get you. Children understand this law instinctively, hiding under the blankets to keep themselves safe. Adults forget their instincts as they grow older, assuming they can get away with infractions so long as no one is watching. One glimpse of the monsters in the dark, however, soon makes them wish they had remembered to hide.
Nemeses feed by punishing the guilty, or at least those they perceive to be guilty. They might tear someone to pieces right after the act, or they might wait for years before finally revealing what they know and making their victim pay. The Nemeses keep the guilty conscience of humankind on edge, keeping the transgressors looking over their shoulders even when they should know, rationally, that they’ll never get caught.

Cool. Finally. Retributive justice is ultimately harmful and less useful than restorative justice, but go ahead and beat up some rear end in a top hat murderers or rapists or whatever. Okay? Fine.

quote:

Patrick and Ahmed are a Makara Collector and a Makara Nemesis, respectively, who fell in love. Patrick placed his treasures at the bottom of Ahmed’s lake, and Ahmed resolved to punish all those who would dare to steal his lover’s hoard. People come to the lake to almost every week, looking to dive down and take the “abandoned treasure.” Of course, Patrick makes sure to spread the rumors about the treasure. That way people come looking, and his lover gets to punish them.

FFFFUCK OFFF

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Swagger Dagger posted:

An official statement like "Thanks for taking us 27k over our goal with 25 days to go!"?

Good point. Go for it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

*writes a sample character that mechanically and demonstrably gets off on psychologically abusing children in her care in tyool 2015* For real though these are the good guys and you should be friends with them, everyone.

Not only that, you're mechanically forced to like them if you're supernatural.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm going to be really blunt and say I'm actively disappointed and kind of ashamed this is getting the kind of money it is. Either the majority of people backing it have no critical reading skills, or there are a whole lot of people who see nothing wrong with flat out lionizing abusers.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Anya owns an apple orchard. Each tree has a ribbon tied around the top. Some of them are red, some are yellow, some are green, and most people who visit the orchard and buy her apples assume the ribbons correspond to the specific type of apple the tree bears. But that isn’t it. Anya goes out into the orchard at night and checks the ribbons, reminiscing about the day each tree was planted. The ribbons don’t match the apples. They remind Anya what she buried when she planted the tree. Red for something stained with blood, yellow for something stolen, green for something never touched or tasted. Anya only buries things that will nourish her trees, though.

Pretty sure this is a description of a Changeling tending to her Hedge garden that somehow migrated over from the CtL 2E core.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Daeren posted:

Not only that, you're mechanically forced to like them if you're supernatural.

I'm going to be really blunt and say I'm actively disappointed and kind of ashamed this is getting the kind of money it is. Either the majority of people backing it have no critical reading skills, or there are a whole lot of people who see nothing wrong with flat out lionizing abusers.

Third and fourth options: They haven't read the pre-release text because they don't want to spoil it, and they back anything with an OP logo out of brand loyalty/a desire to have the shiny deluxe copy even if it's crap. Some people are busy and some people just collect poo poo.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Hunger for Ruin
The Ravagers
“You ever seen a hurricane, all up close and personal? Well, you’re about to.”

Just shovel more garbage into my brain

quote:

A Ravager must destroy to feed, and he must destroy something that others value. It’s not exactly the act of violence that he feeds from, it’s the change it causes in the humans who notice. When someone witnesses the destruction caused by a Ravager, or its results, they are suddenly aware of how fragile they are and start to wonder just exactly what will be destroyed next. That state of uncertainty and fear is what satiates a Ravager, leaving those in the wake of his rampage wondering what could have caused so much damage and when it might be back.

I love Heroes. I unironically will hoot and holler for any story of Heroes destroying Broods of Beasts. How could you imagine it any other way? How could you not see this? I am baffled.

quote:

Ravagers can unleash their fury in any number of directions. Most Souls who Hunger for Ruin aren’t particularly picky about their meals. A Ravager might burn down a state-of-the-art nightclub one day and take a sledgehammer to the priceless antiques at an auction house the next without his Soul becoming upset by the disruption. Many actually prefer the chaos caused by such wildly varied hunts, planning their meals such that no one will ever know where they’ll strike next. The easiest way for a Ravager to ensure his desired reaction is to target some symbol of security. Destroying a home almost invariably leave its inhabitants shaken and lost, but leaving gashes in the brick walls outside of a police station might have the same effect over a whole community of people. The Ravager needn’t target a structure, either. Smashing a woman’s laptop might leave her feeling just as exposed as destroying her house, while setting fires in public areas quickly creates the necessary state of panic and confusion.

Ravagers rarely target people; Beasts who kill to feed normally Hunger for Prey, not Ruin. A Ravager who kills a person doesn’t gain any sustenance from the murder itself, but from the effect it has on the surrounding community. As such, the death of a mayor or politician might cause sufficient Ruin, as might the death of a community organizer or the patriarch of a large family.

Do you understand what makes Vampires interesting? That it's the tension between the urge of hurting people that they can't control, in the form of needing to drink blood, and the urge to retain their own humanity? That the workarounds and justifications and excuses and striving towards fixing yourself make drama and pathos? Beast does not understand this. This is a broken, petty, parody of nWoD.

quote:

Namtaru Ravagers do not so much destroy as pollute. Their Souls are pestilent monsters that poison the air and cover everything they pass in vile sludge, or swarms of insects and other vermin. Their human selves create the same sort of ruin, infecting the world around them and feeding as people discover that something once clean and safe has become dangerous to even approach. Their ruin is insidious, because it can resurface long after people think they’ve repaired what was lost. Namtaru Ravagers don’t merely destroy whole forests or fields, they turn them to salt that poisons the earth for decades to come.

LITERALLY A CAPTAIN PLANET VILLAIN THIS IS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING, BEYOND MORALITY, BEYOND SANITY

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

spectralent posted:

Third and fourth options: They haven't read the pre-release text because they don't want to spoil it, and they back anything with an OP logo out of brand loyalty/a desire to have the shiny deluxe copy even if it's crap. Some people are busy and some people just collect poo poo.

Pretty much this. I've already seen a few backers on RPGnet and the OPP boards who reflexively backed it right out the gate being shocked at the content and pulling their money.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

quote:

Reynold is a health inspector for the city. When his Soul hungers, he dons rubber gloves and tests everything. He quizzes employees, he looks for the slightest bit of mold or dirt, and he happily provides miles of appeals forms to the owner. He refuses bribes and dutifully reports any attempt. He isn’t after money, after all. He’s after the frustration and defeat in their eyes.

Wait, so you can satiate your hunger by being as petty as possible? Is it possible to satiate yourself by not tipping your waiter? Is that what we have going on here?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Wait, so you can satiate your hunger by being as petty as possible? Is it possible to satiate yourself by not tipping your waiter? Is that what we have going on here?

If you're at low satiety (but not 0) you can feed by being an impulsive petty rear end in a top hat. At high hunger you basically need to enact the plot from Saw, unfortunately doing that will also probably kick you up to 10 which is stupid and dumb for it's own reasons.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It's seriously bizarre to me how the authors don't see how the "No the victim is evil because they are supernaturally compelled to fight because they are psychologically weak, so if you have sympathy for them you are a bad person" aspect comes off.

Like if Vampire had whole sections devoted to how anyone victimized by a vampire deserved it because they were weak rear end babies who can't handle reality I'd be pretty horrified by that, too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I do love the almost explicit mention that playing as a serial killer that derives sexual release from strangling women is fine, and here are the rules for that, but if you want to play an internet troll? That is a bridge too far sir, they would never stoop to allowing that sort of behavior. By nature that makes Heroes the least empathetic group in the entire nWoD that is still nominally human. Possessed by a demon, slaughter people for blood to stay young forever, eat babies? Whatever, that's cool. Are regressive and stupid? gently caress YOU, YOU MONSTER, YOU WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTED IN THIS PLACE!

Delenda est bestia. Or something, I think it's supposed to be dative. Latin has too many loving declensions.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Seems like a pretty cool game for emotional terrorists, though

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Beast almost seems like it might work better as a book about Changeling's keepers coming to our world for a Hostel-esque vacation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Beast almost seems like it might work better as a book about Changeling's keepers coming to our world for a Hostel-esque vacation.

That's it. That's what these motherfuckers are. They're the True Fae that got "left behind" on Earth. Their myths and heroes are storycrafting or whatever it's called, it all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's an eerie though: Make Beast crossover friendly, but rather than teaming them up with the Kindred and Mages, Beasts prefer to team up with their more menacing antagonists such as the Strix and Banishers or the more menacing counterparts like the Pure or Loyalists to better feed off of their "prey" since the interests between Beasts and those groups seem to be more in line with each other than with the protagonists of those splats.