Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

How about we talk about "fanny" or "box" instead? I think I might name my bike The Fanny Box, the ultimate non-offensive bike name.

Fanny is a girls name, right? It's actually a name that used to be somewhat common in England and Sweden. Well, a swedish woman named Fanny made some 15-minute headlines here when she moved to England and the authorities refused to let her have her birth name on her ID they issued her on account of it "being offensive".

Fanny. For fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. Why people name bikes I'll never know. It doesn't make me think you're a mysogynist, it just makes me think you're a weirdo.

Truth.

My girlfriend was insistent we pick a name for our Subaru Outback. She eventually settled on 'Hugh Jackman' because it's sort of Australian, rugged and (TRIGGER WARNING: homophobia) a little gay.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Fanny is a girls name, right? It's actually a name that used to be somewhat common in England and Sweden. Well, a swedish woman named Fanny made some 15-minute headlines here when she moved to England and the authorities refused to let her have her birth name on her ID they issued her on account of it "being offensive".

Fanny. For fucks sake.

[citation needed] because Fanny is still a name used in the UK, albeit much less commonly. There was a TV chef called Fanny Craddock and far more people commented on the fact she seemed to be drunk half the time than on her name, and fanny as a term of abuse would barely raise an eyebrow on kids TV.

e: also we don't have national ID cards and we don't have proscribed names lists - the (very old and noble) Bastard family would have problems if we did.

(The use of fanny as a slang term for naughty bits is actually a pretty good example of misogyny because after the publication of Fanny Murray's (probably semi-fictional) memoirs of her time as a prostitute the term became a term for a courtesan, then slid down the social scale to apply to all prostitutes, then any woman who (was perceived to have) used her gender/sexuality for personal gain, then a term for the vagina of a promiscuous woman, then just a vagina - like lots of swear words though it's lost almost all of its shock value. The equivalent male term - wally - had an almost identical journey (man's name, user of prostitutes, promiscuous man, diseased penis (then a frankly disgusting detour to mean a pickled cucumber, in which sense it's still used in London), to U-rated term of abuse. The two even have an almost identical usage these days, someone who's a bit useless or gullible, although in slightly different ways.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I kinda knew a girl who named her bike Carter. But it was Cart-her. Because the bike carted her around. And it was a KLR, one of the most personality-less bikes ever.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I kinda knew a girl who named her bike Carter. But it was Cart-her. Because the bike carted her around. And it was a KLR, one of the most personality-less bikes ever.

So she gave her bike a male name and then objectified it. What a misandrist. :rolleye:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

revmoo posted:

Or.......it's a term of endearment for a partner that's been with you through good and bad and you identify with as on the level you would someone you love....like a woman. It doesn't have to be about ownership.

It's about treating an object like a partner, not treating a partner as an object like you are saying. If it was, I'd be calling my wife motorcycle.

You can't treat an object like a partner though - it lacks the agency and independence to be a partner. If your idea of "partner" is some one who exists strictly to fulfill your needs and desires, that's not a partner.

Comparing a KLR to a cart is pretty unfair to the cart. Boo.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
You guys do the whole naming bikes talk every few months. Let it go please.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

You guys do the whole naming bikes talk every few months. Let it go please.

Echo Chamber/Padded Room

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well this is certainly a nice thing to wake up to. Thanks nsap and/or coredump!

Never had a BRT before. Don't like the insinuation that I'm a homosexual though - not nice to homosexuals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[citation needed] because Fanny is still a name used in the UK, albeit much less commonly. There was a TV chef called Fanny Craddock and far more people commented on the fact she seemed to be drunk half the time than on her name, and fanny as a term of abuse would barely raise an eyebrow on kids TV.

e: also we don't have national ID cards and we don't have proscribed names lists - the (very old and noble) Bastard family would have problems if we did.

(The use of fanny as a slang term for naughty bits is actually a pretty good example of misogyny because after the publication of Fanny Murray's (probably semi-fictional) memoirs of her time as a prostitute the term became a term for a courtesan, then slid down the social scale to apply to all prostitutes, then any woman who (was perceived to have) used her gender/sexuality for personal gain, then a term for the vagina of a promiscuous woman, then just a vagina - like lots of swear words though it's lost almost all of its shock value. The equivalent male term - wally - had an almost identical journey (man's name, user of prostitutes, promiscuous man, diseased penis (then a frankly disgusting detour to mean a pickled cucumber, in which sense it's still used in London), to U-rated term of abuse. The two even have an almost identical usage these days, someone who's a bit useless or gullible, although in slightly different ways.)

lol and as if by magic this advert is currently playing on British telly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxCFo5t3AI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol and as if by magic this advert is currently playing on British telly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxCFo5t3AI

FWIW calling someone a wally here is roughly what you'd use toward a ten year old child when they do something both stupid and hilarious. Or alternatively, toward a genuine dumbass as a form of condescending sarcasm; I want to call you an idiot but what you've done is so moronic that I'll use the language of children to communicate how stupid you are.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Never had a BRT before. Don't like the insinuation that I'm a homosexual though - not nice to homosexuals.

I've barely been involved in this bullshit and wasn't even judgemental of you but I guess my reputation precedes me. Rest assured I would not spend money on you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I've barely been involved in this bullshit and wasn't even judgemental of you but I guess my reputation precedes me. Rest assured I would not spend money on you.

Yeah I didn't really think you would, but your burning desire to stir poo poo is so strong I had to cover the possibility. Namaste.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Trust me, you're only reaching your posting potential if it upsets someone enough that they spend money on it. :hfive:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

FWIW calling someone a wally here is roughly what you'd use toward a ten year old child when they do something both stupid and hilarious. Or alternatively, toward a genuine dumbass as a form of condescending sarcasm; I want to call you an idiot but what you've done is so moronic that I'll use the language of children to communicate how stupid you are.

Yeah, that's pretty much the use in Britain too. My context is it's a swearword I'd not only feel happy using in front of my mum, it's something I'd even be happy to call her.

Mind you also on that list is "berk", a word so innocuous that it was even the name of the main character in second-best kids show of the eighties Trap Door, but lurking behind which is a pleasant surprise from Cockney rhyming slang (look it up yourself).

As we've all abandoned any pretense of talking about bikes, I've always subscribed to Jerry Sadowtiz' theory (and this is a man that knows his swear words) that the reason "oval office" has such resonance as a swear word while other words with the exact same meaning range from mildly offensive to completely innocent is that you just can't pack that many hard consonants into a word without it being offensive. It could be a word for a fluffy little puppy and it'd still offend whoever you said it to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Trust me, you're only reaching your posting potential if it upsets someone enough that they spend money on it. :hfive:

You're a good man despite the rumours, chive.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you just can't pack that many hard consonants into a word without it being offensive. It could be a word for a fluffy little puppy and it'd still offend whoever you said it to.

Pretty sure this explains the entire german language, too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Pretty sure this explains the entire german language, too.

"They have no word for "fluffy""

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"They have no word for "fluffy""

I thought that was "totenkopf". :confused:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the use in Britain too. My context is it's a swearword I'd not only feel happy using in front of my mum, it's something I'd even be happy to call her.

Mind you also on that list is "berk", a word so innocuous that it was even the name of the main character in second-best kids show of the eighties Trap Door, but lurking behind which is a pleasant surprise from Cockney rhyming slang (look it up yourself).

As we've all abandoned any pretense of talking about bikes, I've always subscribed to Jerry Sadowtiz' theory (and this is a man that knows his swear words) that the reason "oval office" has such resonance as a swear word while other words with the exact same meaning range from mildly offensive to completely innocent is that you just can't pack that many hard consonants into a word without it being offensive. It could be a word for a fluffy little puppy and it'd still offend whoever you said it to.

Berk has a pretty impressive string of relationships and implications to survive that long.

Also, lol at Slavvy's new avy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Getting this thread back on topic, and because I exercised only the slightest bit of self control in not just mashing 'reply' in the pictures thread..

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It seems like I keep hearing "My bike was overheating" more and more as an excuse for why people break traffic laws, and my brain is starting to automatically replace it with "gently caress it, I didn't want to wait."

I'll be honest and upfront about it. Construction, a traffic light out, and cars completely clogging the the intersection against my advanced left turn light (that I waited 3 cycles to get to the front of), gently caress it I'm not waiting. I filtered a few hundred yards through the arterial clog before nipping back in to a lane once it smoothed out a bit.
You need to understand both your strengths and your vulnerabilities on a motorcycle, and being stranded in the middle of a 6 lanes both directions intersection surrounded by commuter zombies of both the shambling and the hyper aggressive variety is definitely a weakness, and to not use your strength in manoeuvrability to get out of the situation is stupid.

Tl/dr: filtering is the Good and Proper thing to do, for motorcyclists everywhere.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, this summer I've just said gently caress it and started filtering a little here and there. The traffic in my area is absolutely heinous, and the heat in the summer is brutal. gently caress sitting around risking heat stroke because some shithead in an air conditioned protective steel box is emotionally invested in their spot in the line.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Guy I know up here lane splits sometimes if there's heavy traffic (there rarely is here) and he's had some people pull out of traffic toward him which is kinda crazy cause drivers in this state are polite to the point of being annoying. People lose their poo poo about bikes doing weird things.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

Also, lol at Slavvy's new avy.

That required...a seriously hard heart and lethal google-fu skills. I've often wondered about the one that preceded it. Was it Janet Reno on a scooter?

Re: multi-purpose cuss words. Try getting cabron right. The locals taught me that it could be either a henpecked husband or a total badass, depending solely on how much emphasis is placed on the second syllable.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I would love to be a fly on the brain casing of someone who thinks "I will endanger a human life because he gets to move faster thru traffic than me".

Thankfully so far everyone seems to be too shocked to react in time for attempted murder. Who is even at fault in a situation like that? Technically I can't lanesplit, but technically you can't smash into someone on purpose either. "I'm sorry officer, I was just switching lanes when this crazy hooligan broadsided me"?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guy I know up here lane splits sometimes if there's heavy traffic (there rarely is here) and he's had some people pull out of traffic toward him which is kinda crazy cause drivers in this state are polite to the point of being annoying. People lose their poo poo about bikes doing weird things.

People lose their poo poo about anything doing weird things because people in groups, and especially in traffic, behave almost exactly like a herd of easily-spooked herbivores.

Marv Hushman posted:

That required...a seriously hard heart and lethal google-fu skills. I've often wondered about the one that preceded it. Was it Janet Reno on a scooter?

Re: multi-purpose cuss words. Try getting cabron right. The locals taught me that it could be either a henpecked husband or a total badass, depending solely on how much emphasis is placed on the second syllable.

I want to know why someone painted their sheep with the american flag. I'd change it back but I lost the image for the original one :saddowns:

e:

M42 posted:

I would love to be a fly on the brain casing of someone who thinks "I will endanger a human life because he gets to move faster thru traffic than me".

Thankfully so far everyone seems to be too shocked to react in time for attempted murder. Who is even at fault in a situation like that? Technically I can't lanesplit, but technically you can't smash into someone on purpose either. "I'm sorry officer, I was just switching lanes when this crazy hooligan broadsided me"?

Well, splitting is legal here and when a woman opened her door in the middle of traffic to punt me off she got a dangerous driving ticket (around $300 and a few demerits IIRC) and sent on her way. I got a written off bike and riding the bus to work for a week.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There was a case in QLD before the laws came in to make it legal like that, person opened their door on a motorcycle, they got charged with attempted manslaughter, among the other driving offences. Motorcyclist got hit with a few minor fines (and a door).

e: I believe it was a motorcycle cop that was at the scene first, that probably influenced things some.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Wasn't me. Thought we had a reach a mutual understanding at one point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

There was a case in QLD before the laws came in to make it legal like that, person opened their door on a motorcycle, they got charged with attempted manslaughter, among the other driving offences. Motorcyclist got hit with a few minor fines (and a door).

e: I believe it was a motorcycle cop that was at the scene first, that probably influenced things some.

It should be manslaughter. Getting a small fine for opening a door on the person is insane.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Wasn't me. Thought we had a reach a mutual understanding at one point.

I thought so too. Oh well.

m42 you don't have the original pic kicking around your hard drive do you?

Chichevache posted:

It should be manslaughter. Getting a small fine for opening a door on the person is insane.

The funny thing was, while I was still sitting on my rear end in disbelief, looking at the remains of my NC30 lodged in the back of a guy's maxima, she came up to me to tell me off etc.

Then when the cops turned up she changed her tune to 'I was getting something out of the boot for the kids!'

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress people, lay off the word freakouts. I leave CA alone for REDACTED and you turn it into D&D.

M42 posted:

"Gets to" = "wants to", seen plenty of road rage incidents visited upon someone who is getting through traffic faster, whether it's because they can fit two wheels where four won't, or it's because they'll actually use the loud pedal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I want to know why someone painted their sheep with the american flag. I'd change it back but I lost the image for the original one :saddowns:

Was still in my browser cache. :)

Re lanesplitting: Most of the time people here actively move out of the way if they can, which is nice. People still drive like idiots, but so far I haven't had anyone endangering me on purpose.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I have to say, the few times I've been lanesplitting here in the UK most people make space when they see you coming. I did have someone yesterday in a giant Land Rover move over just far enough to block me and stay there as long as they could, but they didn't actively try to kill me.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Trauma Tank posted:

I have to say, the few times I've been lanesplitting here in the UK most people make space when they see you coming. I did have someone yesterday in a giant Land Rover move over just far enough to block me and stay there as long as they could, but they didn't actively try to kill me.

This is mostly experience, but with just enough of the latter to be very irritating. To be honest, though, when I started I developed a bit of a persecution complex but I'm starting to realise that most people are just not paying any attention in the slightest. Also, I'm genuinely astonished at just how many people are happily texting/talking or just generally paying more attention to their phone than anything else. That really needs to start being enforced with serious penalities.

In other news, I accidentally put diesel in my bike last night :(

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

hermand posted:

How in the gently caress

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hermand posted:

...but I'm starting to realise that most people are just not paying any attention in the slightest....

LOL. The nozzle is larger and a different color. Where was your phone during all of this?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

nsaP posted:

LOL. The nozzle is larger and a different color. Where was your phone during all of this?

Heh, phone was my jacket. The nozzle was larger and, no it didn't fit properly, but I put that down to a bike thing. However, I was after BP Ultimate Unleaded - which is branded in a similar way to the Ultimate Diesel.

Each station had three pumps:

Unleaded
Diesel
Ultimate Unleaded OR Ultimate Diesel

So I just didn't quite pay enough attention. The pump opposite me had Ultimate Unleaded - I didn't even realise there was a BP Ultimate Diesel.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

hermand posted:

To be honest, though, when I started I developed a bit of a persecution complex but I'm starting to realise that most people are just not paying any attention in the slightest.
Same here, except when I realized most people aren't even being malicious, it made me so much more angry I can barely contain myself. If someone is a true dick, and sees me and tries to assassinate me on the road - or even just do something mildly rude - I just chalk that up to them being a dick. If someone has the *exact* same effect on the road through their own carelessness, it means they don't give a gently caress about anyone, and value whatever pathetic diversion is distracting them, or simply feel no motivation to improve their roadcraft to the point where it is merely adequate, in spite of the fact that they're endangering themselves and others or, at the very least, behaving like a cock on the road.

I don't cruise in the passing lane. I accelerate briskly and never hold up traffic. In town I never exceed the speed limit. When passing cyclists, I wait for all oncoming traffic to have passed before I make my move, because it's not my loving right to dive over the DYs and force oncoming to move over just so I can pass nownownow instead of in ten seconds. I don't cut curves. I don't drive through the oncoming lane to get to my lane when taking a left at an intersection. I never usurp anyone else's right of way at an intersection. I never tailgate. I am *always* checking my mirrors, and moving over, whenever possible, for faster traffic. I always signal my turns *correctly*, not one blink a millisecond before I execute, and not 5 minutes and 3 turn-offs ahead of where I mean to go. All of this is completely effortless for me because I made it my habit to be a conscientious and precise driver/rider.

And these motherfuckers in their beige driving appliances with malfunctioning headlights and plastic taped where windows once were, doing no more than waiting for their own deaths because they have no concept of the enjoyment of simple things (like driving well in a car or on a bike that enjoy, rather than merely tolerate because they have to get somewhere) that can add value to life, do more to rob me of *my* enjoyment with their unforgivable thoughtlessness than any fuckhead who actually wants to wreck my day. I hate them.

I need to leave the place where I am and go somewhere that isn't full of shitheads.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Outer space awaits

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A helpful site if you ever need an old SA avatar for yourself or someone else:
http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think that site has updated in a few years. I don't see either of my two latest avatars.