Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Is there any reason to hang on to my serpentine poo poo or my initial witcher steel/silver sword? I've gotten nervous about shedding starter items in games for some reason, but I'm getting tired of them crapping up my inventory if they're not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

shymog posted:

Is there any reason to hang on to my serpentine poo poo or my initial witcher steel/silver sword?

No.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

shymog posted:

Is there any reason to hang on to my serpentine poo poo or my initial witcher steel/silver sword? I've gotten nervous about shedding starter items in games for some reason, but I'm getting tired of them crapping up my inventory if they're not necessary.

I don't think so, to my knowledge there aren't any upgrades for either the serpentine or the wolf items found anywhere later in the game. When in doubt, just drop them on a ground in some place that you'll remember, items dropped that way generally don't seem to despawn no matter how long they're lying there.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
As I was told, the only old gear you should hang on to are the feline/ursine/griffin equipment.

Also, HOLY poo poo the battle at Kaer Morhen was great. If the game has any moments better than that and the Isle of Mists ending, I don't know how I'll take it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CVagts posted:

As I was told, the only old gear you should hang on to are the feline/ursine/griffin equipment.

Well, you could remake that fairly easily right?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

So hey, they seem to have fixed the red mutagen in today's patch, and by fixed I mean I can't craft it because I've already got one :argh:

Also I have a bugged sidequest where you have to bring a letter to Kaer Trolde blacksmith, Hard Times or something, there's just no dialogue option to hand the letter over. Just my luck, got to be.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

CVagts posted:

If the game has any moments better than that and the Isle of Mists ending, I don't know how I'll take it.

Kaer Morhen bender is the high point of the game, the ending is pretty cool but nothing trumps it I'm afraid.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

blainestereo posted:

Also I have a bugged sidequest where you have to bring a letter to Kaer Trolde blacksmith, Hard Times or something, there's just no dialogue option to hand the letter over. Just my luck, got to be.
That smith is really buggy, but if you meditate in front of him he should become active for a short window to let you talk to him.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Aishan posted:

That smith is really buggy, but if you meditate in front of him he should become active for a short window to let you talk to him.

Oh, so it's not the guy who does shop/repairs? I thought other smiths were just fixtures. I'll try meditating, thanks!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm doing "Count Reuven's Treasure" where you investigate underneath the bathhouse. Only, I left to get some supplies and when I returned the secret passage was closed off. Am I permanently locked out of completing it? :ohdear:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Turin Turambar posted:

Looking back, yeah it was one of the hardest fight in the game. But doable, even without puppet Axii. I just powered through it, with heavy use of potions, including moon dust of course.

This quest was great. I chalked off the rumors of a werewolf led gang as superstitious nonsense but ended up with a bg ol' pile of egg on my face.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

moot the hopple posted:

I'm doing "Count Reuven's Treasure" where you investigate underneath the bathhouse. Only, I left to get some supplies and when I returned the secret passage was closed off. Am I permanently locked out of completing it? :ohdear:

You might be able to enter from the other side, there is a sewer entrance you exit out of, can't remember exactly where it is, though.

Edit: Alternatively, try finding Dijkstra and talk to him.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

You should be able to get in from the other side, I found it accidentally when I was exploring. Look under the bridge to Temple Isle, there should be a sewer entrance that leads right to the passage.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Is it possible to actually track down Dijkstra's treasure? All I got from that quest is a key with no further leads. I like the dude, i want to help him even thouh killing him in the end is always the right choice because Vernon Roche is such a bro

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm getting a bug on the "Nameless" mission. I completed it but when I went back to finish the associated monster hunt I must have tripped over some part of the mission I missed out on and it reopened it. Now I just have "Nameless" as an unfinished quest with no waypoints or any way to clear it. It's annoying because when I finish a secondary quest or Witcher Contract it just dumps me back to Nameless. Is anyone else having this issue and is there anything I can do about it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

blainestereo posted:

Is it possible to actually track down Dijkstra's treasure? All I got from that quest is a key with no further leads. I like the dude, i want to help him even thouh killing him in the end is always the right choice because Vernon Roche is such a bro

You can find out what the key opens too, depending on how you lead the dialog, and report it when you give the key, he likes you slightly more as the result. Very slightly, would give some minor help in later missions but that's about it.

You can't actually get your paws on treasure though.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 6, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

blainestereo posted:

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that he mentions at one point that the actual vault that the key belongs to is located somewhere in Kovir, in a place that you never end up visiting.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is fighting high-level cyclops kinda bullshit? Hit detection seems extremely generous when they take a swing.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was stupid and wasn't spamming Quen.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 6, 2015

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I found a circle of stones with some graffiti of a hanged hag on it. (bottom right, was hard to get a closeup shot of it)

I wonder if it's for something.

Stumbled on one of these near Kaer Morhen in my playthrough, I think it's just weird fantasy graffiti

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You can see the graffiti plastered on the walls of homes of suspected "witches".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Just finished the game, what feels like a million years after the rest of you. Game was great, but am I alone in thinking it peaked rather early? Family Matters was amazing, and the first time you meet the Crones is one of the most visually arresting moments I've ever seen in a game. I don't think anything else even comes close to that section, except maybe Through Time and Space, which is a shame.

As an aside: I really want a Geralt and Ciri's Adventures in Time and Space game now. Like a fantasy fightmans Doctor Who mainlining dark mythology.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also finished the game some days ago. Heavy spoilers follow:

My end

-Blood baron hanged himself, horse beast spirit thing freed.
-Cerys queen.
-Nilfgaard defeated, Redania expanded.
-Geralt goes to Kovir with Triss, finally leaves the Path, more or less.
-Ciri free and being a witcher. Which is a bit stupid, girl, the moment people hear about a pretty girl of 20 years with white heair working as a witcher every-loving-one is going to know you are still alive! :P Not a lot more of witcher-women in this world.

The only thing where I "failed" was with Radovid. There was a quest to kill him but I missed it because I used the wrong option with Djisktra. It seemed wrong for me to say about Ciri, as he is a powerful person which still is much the old spymaster that he was once, that could provoke more people plotting using her. I kind of dig the Nilfgaardian Empire, maybe it's the cool armors, maybe the Pax Imperia promise.

So, the ending itself.
The game is an instant classic, and it isn't like the end is bad, but it could have been better, you know. Maybe because the quality's level of the rest of the game is so high I can notice more how the ending part lacks a bit of something. It even feels rushed a bit, which is funny given how drat long is the game.

I think part of the problem of the end part of the game is that it has two climaxes, the one of Kaer Mohen, and the one at the final battle in the Skellige coast, and I think the first one was better, reuniting all the people in witcher stronghold, drinking with your pals, planning it all, the big fight, Vesemir's death, etc. Part of the emotional payoff of the player is "spent" there.
What has the second climax? The fight against the big bad? Bah. That's one of the problems, Eredin.

Eredin is just a tough baddie with a cool armor, the game didn't characterize him enough in any way for the final fight to be meaningful and powerful. Maybe a Ciri flashback when she was prisoner in the elven's world would have helped to make the player fear and respect Eredin, the typical "let's show the baddie in the mid part to make it relevant later and explain why he is so bad" done in other games. Even DA:I did it.
Even his design was super "evil guy!", that face!, which goes a bit against the themes of Witcher of greyness and realistic fantasy. He seemed more a dude of a good vs evil fantasy. Compare him with the Archmaster from Witcher 1 or Letho from Witcher 2.

Another example of how it feels a bit rushed is that we don't see any related to Crach's death, a little moment of his funeral would have been good.

Also the romance part, which is more done in the first Act in the game (and properly!) but I would liked for the romance to have more presence in the end, too, its' strangely ausent. The focus is in Ciri's fate, and that's fine, but in addition I would liked a bit more of resolution in Geralt's end. A custcene or mini playable area where you are reunited with your loved one. But they totally forgot about both lovers in the end part, Triss even more, and only reappear in a single ending slide. Speaking of romance, I would have liked a big Triss vs Yennefer vs Geralt moment, dishes flying, in the second Act of the game, and maybe some more funny digs here and there, as the pair I saw were pretty fun (Yen throwing the bed where Triss and you made love for the first time, and Yen kissing you suddenly, just because Triss appears two seconds later). It was a great opportunity for good writing. But they chose the "easy way" where they barely interact with each other and easily accept whatever you choose. I suppose otherwise it would be more complex (and expensive), as they would have to do more variations of each scene, depending if you romance one, the other or even none of them.

A complaint I've been reading is how the endings work, they come from some options in a otherwise normal or even inane dialog you have from Ciri. It's "hidden" that way. There are some options marked as "positive" and other as "negative", and while I can see it in a pair of them, in others I can't agree, they are very neutral sounding or understandable options given the situation, but they are marked as negative and enough negative points will "kill" Ciri in the end cutscene. Aside, the explanation being cheesy as hell, she has a flashback of your nice moments together and she presses on (or not) thanks to that.

And that ties with the final point, the White Frost. In the last two minutes, the game decides it has to deal too with the White Frost. Like it wants to tie up every thread, at any cost. Even if the previous 120 hours weren't that related to that. It feels off, like included in extremis. And even more because even if it's "dealt", it's done off camera, without any explanation. I can only think it will be explained (or played?) in a future Ciri game.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
so, why can't I loving craft mutagens anymore?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

so, why can't I loving craft mutagens anymore?

because if it's like glyphs it wont let you craft something you all ready have one of

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Patch blew something up I think. You can drop all your extras first and then craft your new one. It's a pain, but at least it works.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

To whoever it was that asked if the dude in the inn that points you toward Yennefer at the beginning of the game reappears, he's apparently going to be heavily involved in the first expansion.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So here's a few words on missable/potentially missable quests, since I've been hoping throughout more info on those would be available without too many spoilers. I'm an insane completionist so I don't want to miss anything. I haven't finished the game yet so this is just what I know so far.

First, here's someone's list of missable quests by location/chapter. It's just a list of locations and quest names. Might be helpful.

Here are my notes:

Prologue/White Orchard:
Someone was reporting that the gwent tutorial card can be missed. I thought this was patched recently, but apparently not. So if you care about gwent at all, play the scholar in the first tavern of the first area you arrive at. Do this asap since he'll disappear after you make some progress the main story quest. Hopefully this card will be added in a patch though, I thought it already was (as a random win) but meh.

Velen:
Gwent with the Baron does not fail even if the Baron is gone. You should find a note that tells you to check a chest in his room for his unique card, and you can then continue the gwent quest from there.
I don't think anything is else missable here.

Novigrad:
During some side quests you will find some magical items that a sorceress would know more about. The quickest is to give these to Triss; however once you progress far enough in her story she will leave. You can either do magic items first before finishing Triss' quest chain, or take the magic items to Yennefer (but that will require a bunch of main quest progression first, while Triss is there right away).

There are 3 magic items, two figurines and a crystal. The point of no return for Triss is a quest called A Matter of Life and Death. Very soon after starting this quest Triss will be unavailable until she leaves, so the easiest is to do the 3 items before that. Though it doesn't matter much since you can do these items later as well, regardless of Triss.

Skellige:
Apparently there's a side quest that fails if you progress the after-main quest chain too far first, since someone will die. I haven't done this yet so dunno about the details.

After Velen, Novigrad and Skellige:
Dunno since I'm not there yet. However I think in the next phase nothing fails or gets missed.

From what I gather there is a point of no return some time later, but that is apparently very clearly labelled.

Overall it seems there are very few quests and other things that you can randomly fail by progressing too far. This pleases me.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Someone earlier mentioned console commands, does using them disable achievements or anything? Because I like those, but I would also really like the Pellar's bell back.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
So when does that Radovid assassination quest start back up again? I'm looking for a certain object, the Sunstone, in Skellige right now and haven't heard anything about it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Zoo06 posted:

So when does that Radovid assassination quest start back up again? I'm looking for a certain object, the Sunstone, in Skellige right now and haven't heard anything about it.

You're past the point where that happens iirc. When you rescued Phillipa

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
When's the exact point you can do both crystals with Yen? Skull and Philippa's.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Neat thing about Gwent: Old Pals and Lambert (Kaer Morhen spoilers) If you choose the option to play gwent while you're drinking with Lambert and Eskel, if you win that counts for fulfilling the "Beat Lambert" part of that quest.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Was trying to get some bear armor upgrades when I walked into this cave. It is home to a trio of frighteningly flatulent trolls. They promptly kicked my rear end so gently caress this game for a long time, but still this is pretty funny.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

dyzzy posted:

You're past the point where that happens iirc. When you rescued Phillipa

The plot with Dijkstra and Roche? I got Thaler away from those trolls and it just kind of fizzled out there. poo poo, I probably missed something.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zoo06 posted:

The plot with Dijkstra and Roche? I got Thaler away from those trolls and it just kind of fizzled out there. poo poo, I probably missed something.

You need to be civil to Dijkstra and not break his face when you drag Phillipa out of the bath-house. Try talking things out.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

You need to be civil to Dijkstra and not break his face when you drag Phillipa out of the bath-house. Try talking things out.

Whoops.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Regarding the epilogues: Having watched the alternate endings on YouTube, while the "Ciri becomes a witcher" is the happiest one and the one I wished for for the characters, it is the weakest of the three I saw.

Ciri becoming the new empress is kind of bittersweet, but I never would have gotten that ending, because gently caress Emhyr Lannister. The ending sequence is also a lot longer than the happy ending and shows more of the bond between Ciri and Geralt. I feel that is lacking from the good ending as well.

As for the sad ending, as horrible as it is (Ciri dead, Geralt probably not surviving the bog as well), killing that one remaining witch in a kickass cutscene gave some real and powerful closure.

I still probably will not go a different route in the inevitable second run.
Thank god for "Let's Plays" and Youtube.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
to try to nail down any crash issues, I downloaded a backup of the main game, the 1.02 patch and the 1.02 to 1.05 patch.

Almost 25gb.

Completely uninstalled Witcher 3 including everything but savegames. I zipped those to a new directory, just in motherfucking case.

go to install game from the backup and it tells me some files are missing. I have the option of cancelling the install or finding the missing files, which, quelle loving surprise, are missing and therefore can't be cunting found.

Need to download 27Gb again.

So, heads up, the backup game process is super unreliable.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Broken Cog posted:

You might be able to enter from the other side, there is a sewer entrance you exit out of, can't remember exactly where it is, though.

Edit: Alternatively, try finding Dijkstra and talk to him.

Aishan posted:

You should be able to get in from the other side, I found it accidentally when I was exploring. Look under the bridge to Temple Isle, there should be a sewer entrance that leads right to the passage.

Thanks guys, that did it for me. There's a sewer entrance under St. Gregory's bridge if anyone else's quest bugged out like mine. Glad it wasn't one of those wait a week for a fix situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

by far one of the most annoying bugs is the way your mutagens are calculated incorrectly every time you reload. you have to unsocket them, find them in a random place in an unsorted blob of identical icons, and resocket them. every. loving. time.