Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
does anyone play on igs? i can't figure out how to add friends there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
shawn ray reviewed one of my games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZFWH5Xu_M

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
tonberrytoby, I reviewed the first 50 or so moves of your game here: https://online-go.com/review/63996. I didn't add many variations, so let me know if you have any questions. I'll review other games if anyone wants them, and I can answer questions and stuff. I'm around KGS 4d.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shadonra posted:

tonberrytoby, I reviewed the first 50 or so moves of your game here: https://online-go.com/review/63996. I didn't add many variations, so let me know if you have any questions. I'll review other games if anyone wants them, and I can answer questions and stuff. I'm around KGS 4d.
Thank for the tips.
My main question is if trading the bottom right at move 142 for the top left was good for white or for black. And if white still can make live or a ko in the top left after ignoring the ko-threat.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
The bottom right is larger, but 139 should connect so there's no ko anyway. White shouldn't be able to live in the top right after the threat, but 149 is a mistake that allows unconditional life.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
how should i celebrate when i reach sdk

i think if i ever reach dan i might get a go tattoo of some kind

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

Get a tatoo on your back of a full 19x19 goban with the ear reddening move on it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
two go experts get a tattoo of the game they are playing as they play it, move by move.

would be the best game ever played because they'd be absolutely sure about each move

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

uranus posted:

two go experts get a tattoo of the game they are playing as they play it, move by move.

would be the best game ever played because they'd be absolutely sure about each move

A ko would be hilariously painful.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
SDK on KGS

:boom:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uranus posted:

A goban across your chest with your nipples representing 2 stones at 4-4.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this is going to be awesome

http://www.usgo.org/news/2015/05/youtubes-haylee-to-play-live-against-nick-sibicky-at-us-go-congress/

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

this is going to be a slaughter

true dat

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah it will be a pretty pointless match unless they do the team format with a lot of time allowed for moves, then it could be interesting

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

SDK on KGS

:boom:

Congrats!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Is anyone going to the Go Congress? I might drive up for a day, I've been chatting with the vice President of AGF and he was talking about meeting so I was going to see if he'd be there.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I really wish they'd center the US Go congress over a long weekend or something. Now if you only have a weekend, you only can go for one day (for some reason the other weekend day is burnt on just signing in) Anyone who has a normal job makes it really hard to attend...

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I don't know who's taking a week off to go to this thing.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
its happening again. i reach sdk, suddenly forget how to play and plummet back down to like 12k. i gotta go read some books or something

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

fffffffffffffffff just lost a game i was totally winning because i stopped paying attention for one second and played the wrong way.

:negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

"Aww yusss he can't cut me because I see this loose ladder tesuji that I've been so reading for the last 2 minutes"

*He tries to cut*

*Plays the Atari in one second*

:negative:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So I was playing a live game last night, maybe my third live 19x19 ever after a couple with uranus like a year ago. I was kinda nervous, so I hoped to just do some simple josekis until poo poo Got Real when hopefully I'd be settled in and analytical instead of rushed and stressed.

He had a 4-4 point, I did a low approach knight jump, then he responded with an outside hit on move 6. I wasn't used to being attached to directly that early, and I was pretty sure it was an inefficient move. The problem was I wasn't used to it, so I didn't have a good response. I thought about just separating the 4-4 stone from his 3-7 stone by extending, but I went the wrong way and let msyelf get killed entirely. Oops.

So I'm looking at it now...what's a good way to respond to that kind of early attachment? Hane? Extend?

game is: https://online-go.com/game/2153712

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Extending is probably the best answer. Keep his goups seperated. You should have played C4 instead of A5, of course.
The best alternative to extending would be a double approach, I think.

That guy you played, he seems to real like attaching. But he seems to understand basic shapes better then you.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

So today I received a package from a mysterious Xenocrates Ombar, whoever that is.

Opening the package reveals a big loving book.

It appears to be a used book judging from the yellow stained page edges and the beat up spine.

Opening the book is a preface that I can't read.

The book comes from mainland China and thus is obviously written in the atrocity that is simplified Chinese; due to my rapidly declining Japanese knowledge, I'm only able to piece together parts of what this book is about. The book is entitled "圍棋X用全典" I don't know what the X is, or that the last two characters are an actual word, but it reads to me "Weiqi X-use Dictionary" or maybe encyclopaedia. The book appears to be an actual encyclopaedia because it's divided into several sections. The first seems to introduce the areas of the board, things like liberties and eyes, and scoring. There's a section dedicated to life and death, a section dedicated to tesuji, and one apparently dedicated to endgame. The back of the book contains short biographies on various go professionals I can assume - I only recognise Huang Longshi's name in the Chinese player section and only a few like Shuwa from the Japanese section.

What the gently caress is this I don't even...

Apparently the book was made in November 1998, or at least copyrighted/published. It contains 1.3M characters too - impressive for a 700 page book.

Here it is sitting on myself with the other go books for comparison. Notice the embarassing Shonen Jump from 2007 on the right hand side.

Thank you, mysterious stranger. :yayclod:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

So today I received a package from a mysterious Xenocrates Ombar, whoever that is.

Hmmm

Xom posted:

You can do it!
Reach for the low-hanging fruit and get strong fast!

KGS handle: Xombar
Current rank: 13 kyū
Learned rules: 1 month ago
Total time spent: 63 hours
Total non-full-board play: ~4 games
Sources used:
> The Interactive Way To Go
> Sensei's Library wiki
> going over games with KGS goons - shoutouts to Wasuji, IWantHam, Athanos

Boy it's a real mystery!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

What the gently caress is this I don't even...

Filling rows in the endgame. Berlekamp has the same exercise in the introduction section of his book.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Filling rows in the endgame. Berlekamp has the same exercise in the introduction section of his book.

What is filling rows, exactly?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Speaking of books, what's the name of that one book with mini-chapters of 1-2 pages with like 4 diagrams each commenting opening sequences? I can't remember the name of it and Khel should really get it to make this shelf be the ~~perfect baduk shelf~~.

Also because Khel is really into openings iirc and it's a great book.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Nice book Khel. I see you also have Korean Style Of Baduk as well! Very hard problems

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

Nice book Khel. I see you also have Korean Style Of Baduk as well! Very hard problems

Korean style of baduk was weird - I never actually ordered it, it just kind of came in my go game guru package as an extra or mistake. I'm not sure how it can be called a beginners book when it's literally half dedicated to exploring variations of the avalanche and the other have the mini chinese opening.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Keep hold of it - it's out of print now. GGG were probably trying to get rid off the last bit of stock.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Oh yeah, iirc Oromedia went under or something?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Symbolic Butt posted:

Speaking of books, what's the name of that one book with mini-chapters of 1-2 pages with like 4 diagrams each commenting opening sequences? I can't remember the name of it and Khel should really get it to make this shelf be the ~~perfect baduk shelf~~.

Also because Khel is really into openings iirc and it's a great book.

The Otake Hideo one?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, if it's Opening Theory Made Easy then it's already on the shelf. It should be on every shelf!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I found it, it's this one: http://senseis.xmp.net/?ADictionaryOfModernFusekiTheKoreanStyle

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

K81: A Dictionary of Modern Fuseki: The Korean Style US$43 Found it on their website. That's like 2/3 of invincible.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i... am back

i have to be careful not to win too many games in a row. i think its bad for my psyche

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
I let my old account on OGS die, and created a new one for some reason I can't quite remember - I think it was something to do with password recovery being difficult if you have more than one account registered to the same email address, or some such.

Can I get my new account (seamus_android) added to the OGS group?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey, ive played you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
I know, I lost :(