Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Finally looking to buy a 60" replacement for my noble Pioneer plasma that met an unfortunate fate involving gravity.

The current front-runners I'm considering are:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/60-240hz-led-wifi-1080p-4-hdmi-wifi/prod13950033.ip?navAction=push
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/60-120hz-led-smart-1080p-3-hdmi/prod17180594.ip?navAction=push

From what I can tell, the 2014 M series is still superior to the 2015 E series, I just can't tell if it's $150 better.

Any opinions/information welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knifegrab posted:

Well yeah and they do hosed up things with splitters to get weird PQ on some tv's over others. But still its better than going in blind. Also please stop bragging about room size and how 75" is the lower end you are triggering me I am a poor-kin.

My apartment isn't actually very big at all, just a weird layout with where doors and walkways are puts the couch 15' from the only place I can put a TV.

I'll see if I can get to a Magnolia.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive narrowed my search down to the Sony XBR65x850b, the LG 65UF7700 and the panasonic TC65ax800u.

The Sony is a quantum dot display, so it has expanded color gamut. Only negative is some reviewers see backlight issues.

Pansonic has expanded color gamut, and similar concerns about backlight.

LG seems like it'll be the backup choice if the Sony doesn't do it for me.

Ill probabaly pick one up at BB this weekend or next.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I like the Sony 850b out of those, but I might not have seen the Panasonic.

And to the dude comparing cheap vizios to his Panasonic plasma, condolences.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Anyone got their hands on Sony's W850C yet? I was drat close to buying the 70W850B, but all the stories of radial banding scared me away. I'm curious to hear whether the 75W850C has it ironed out yet.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Seems like all these vizios have bad viewing angles, how are sharp led TVs with blacks?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor Butts posted:

Seems like all these vizios have bad viewing angles, how are sharp led TVs with blacks?

Vizios just use VA panels like most tv manufacturers now. They have similar viewing angles to other VA panel tvs like sharps (who make most of the panels vizio uses)

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I got a Samsung u40h6700 from Amazon warehouse and I'm pretty happy with it... except I've got a stuck red pixel in the middle.
I've tried tapping, pressing and I'm running the software thing now but it doesn't look like it's going away. Do any of these methods actually work?

If it doesn't fix itself I'm thinking I might return it. The pixel wasn't in the items description. Problem is I scratched the base a little when assembling. Will Amazon accept it for a refund, or will I have to sell it?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
New TV is in and it is awesome.
Besides the TV, I'd like to have a solution for displaying digital camera pictures on said TV. I've tried putting them on my NAS and using a Chromecast with my phone / tablet (Allcast app and others) but it's insanely slow and / or crashes constanly. Granted the pics are large (5-7 MB), but still, I'm not speaking about 50MB TIFFs here, standard JPEGS.
I had an old WDTV that could do it with the HDD hoked to it, but it died, and the new version is limited to 2mpixels or something equally crappy.
What's the best option , preferably networked ?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

A SWELL DUDE posted:

Anyone got their hands on Sony's W850C yet? I was drat close to buying the 70W850B, but all the stories of radial banding scared me away. I'm curious to hear whether the 75W850C has it ironed out yet.

I have a 70W850B and no radial banding at all. I think that was a software issue with early units or something? I can't recall exactly. I'm pretty sure it's not there on any newer sets though. The only real problem I have with the 850B is that the 3D is completely worthless. Like, unusable there is so much ghosting and cross-talk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spatule posted:

New TV is in and it is awesome.
Besides the TV, I'd like to have a solution for displaying digital camera pictures on said TV. I've tried putting them on my NAS and using a Chromecast with my phone / tablet (Allcast app and others) but it's insanely slow and / or crashes constanly. Granted the pics are large (5-7 MB), but still, I'm not speaking about 50MB TIFFs here, standard JPEGS.
I had an old WDTV that could do it with the HDD hoked to it, but it died, and the new version is limited to 2mpixels or something equally crappy.
What's the best option , preferably networked ?

It's a Smart TV, right? it should have a photo viewer.

If not the product page (assuming you bought the Samsung you linked earlier) says it can show photos over USB.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's a Smart TV, right? it should have a photo viewer.

Duh, I smart. First "smart tv", I had no idea. Still slow though. Wired is ok.I don't get it, wifi is snappy on myAndroid phone and tablets, crappy on anything else.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

In the market for a TV and sound bar. This would be for an elderly woman who can barely see and has some difficulty hearing. Image quality is zero priority. She will mostly listen.

My thought is that the TV speakers will be bad enough that a sound bar will be required so she can hear OK. However, anything with two remotes is a no-go.

Does HDMI-ARC provide sound bar volume control from the TV, or is that outside its scope? I saw that Samsung has a specific and apparently proprietary feature for this, but it's very difficult to find compatible tvs.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm all confused between PC displays and TVs. I've wanted to get a 4K TV for some time but I'm concerned I'll lose 120hz functionality, but then I remembered that you don't truly get >60hz on TV's its just a processing effect, whilst my PC monitor is as advertised...is any of that correct?

^^ I think that would come down to what the sound bar supports. Something relatively new and with HDMI connection should certainly support ARC I would think.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

codo27 posted:

I'm all confused between PC displays and TVs. I've wanted to get a 4K TV for some time but I'm concerned I'll lose 120hz functionality, but then I remembered that you don't truly get >60hz on TV's its just a processing effect, whilst my PC monitor is as advertised...is any of that correct?

No, there are plenty of TVs with native 120Hz panels. I believe Vizio M series has them, for example - someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There are plenty of TVs with native 120hz panels but not ones that take 120hz input. The vizio p and 2015 m series do though @1080p

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Nuurd posted:

In the market for a TV and sound bar. This would be for an elderly woman who can barely see and has some difficulty hearing. Image quality is zero priority. She will mostly listen.

My thought is that the TV speakers will be bad enough that a sound bar will be required so she can hear OK. However, anything with two remotes is a no-go.

Does HDMI-ARC provide sound bar volume control from the TV, or is that outside its scope? I saw that Samsung has a specific and apparently proprietary feature for this, but it's very difficult to find compatible tvs.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Vizio makes both TVs and sound bars and are quite affordable. Just get whatever size TV and sound bar that fits in the budget. You'll have to go though the setup once to get the TVs remote to recognize the sound bar but after that the single TV remote should 'just work' for adjusting the volume on the sound bar.

They also make something called a sound stand that is made to fit under their TVs when you have both sitting on a table instead of mounted to a wall.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
tI need some help here: My parent's (expensive, bolted into the wall) livingroom furniture will only accept a 40" TV, maybe some 42" with very thin borders. Ideally thy'd need more given the viewing distance and their eyesight.
Basically it's a fixed width empty space, with a wooden board background, between two bookcases.
The current 32" TV is on a mount, and anything above 40/42' would need to be in front of the bookcases' door, blocking them.

Here's the crazy idea: how about storing a larger TV vertically between the bookcases when not used, with a rotatable mount, and putting it horizontally in front of the bookshelves when watching ?
Soooo, does anyone make TV mounts that can rotate 90° ?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Spatule posted:

Soooo, does anyone make TV mounts that can rotate 90° ?

Googling "rotating tv mount" gives numerous results.

this one seems ok. dont worry to much about the size limit. if you get modern Edge lit LED 40", the weight will not be an issue. make sure whatever TV you get has the right hole pattern to match up with the wall mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Displays2go-V...g+tv+wall+mount

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Googling "rotating tv mount" gives numerous results.

this one seems ok. dont worry to much about the size limit. if you get modern Edge lit LED 40", the weight will not be an issue. make sure whatever TV you get has the right hole pattern to match up with the wall mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Displays2go-V...g+tv+wall+mount

I saw these, but are they the kind you rotate once and block in a specific position, or do they have what I need, some kind of friction mount that can be rotated daily ?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.wallmountworld.com/Portrait-landscape-Rotation-TV-mount-p/wmw-2752-rotate.htm

This one claims 90 degree rotation and the one comment is from a guy doing what you want.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

http://www.wallmountworld.com/Portrait-landscape-Rotation-TV-mount-p/wmw-2752-rotate.htm

This one claims 90 degree rotation and the one comment is from a guy doing what you want.

That's awesome, thanks!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've just noticed on my right side of my TV (LG 55LM7600) has a strange horizontal line. It's almost like dead pixels the whole length on the right side horizontally, but it blends in to normal from right to left.

Normally everything goes through my receiver and only one hdmi port is used on the TV for input. I've swapped out the hdmi cable and the pictures the same, also bypassed the receiver completely with the same cable and a spare and the issue stays the same, so obviously something has gone wrong electrical wise. Anyone had any similar problems?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Krailor posted:

Vizio makes both TVs and sound bars and are quite affordable. Just get whatever size TV and sound bar that fits in the budget. You'll have to go though the setup once to get the TVs remote to recognize the sound bar but after that the single TV remote should 'just work' for adjusting the volume on the sound bar.

They also make something called a sound stand that is made to fit under their TVs when you have both sitting on a table instead of mounted to a wall.

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for the advice. Vizio would definitely be my go-to if I had better luck finding documentation of remote sharing on their site. Just fretting about it a bit.

Might go that route anyway and just see what happens. Not finding an obvious, advertised path forward with anyone else's products.

Thanks!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Nuurd posted:

Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for the advice. Vizio would definitely be my go-to if I had better luck finding documentation of remote sharing on their site. Just fretting about it a bit.

Might go that route anyway and just see what happens. Not finding an obvious, advertised path forward with anyone else's products.

Thanks!

I have Vizios 49 inch M series tv and the 5.1 channel soundbar in my living room and I can confirm that the volume works just fine with any remote you program it to. I use both my main TV remote and my Comcast remote. The only (very very slight) annoyance is the "TV speakers are turned off" message will flash up on the TV every once in awhile but besides that it works like a dream

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm looking to get a TV of 32" or 37", or at least not larger than 85 cm wide. From my research so far it looks like those smaller sizes is a somewhat neglected market by now, is there any significant difference between models from the reputable makers?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of refresh rates, is there any reason why "120Hz" on a TV would be beneficial over the standard? Because as far as I know, most sources of video are still capped at 24/25/30fps. Even the next gen consoles have crappy frame rates, so why would you need 120Hz?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest advantage, before taking anything else into account, is that 120 is the least common multiple of 24, 30, and 60. That means is 120hz is the minimum refresh rate necessary to display source material of those framerates at native cadence. Otherwise, on a 60hz tv, 24fps material has to be shown at a 3:2 cadence.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I ordered a Sony XBR65X850b. It should be here in a couple days. Hopefully i do well in the panel lottery and dont have backlight issues.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is this the thread to talk about projectors? I couldn't find a projector thread.

Edit: nevermind, found it!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

I ordered a Sony XBR65X850b. It should be here in a couple days. Hopefully i do well in the panel lottery and dont have backlight issues.

Set it up last night. after calibration, the picture is great. Biggest issue is backlight for sure. when viewed straight on, the backlight is tolerable, but off axis, its a mess. thinking about swapping for something else, but i cant decide on what to get.

LG? Samsung? Vizio? Vizio P and M series has full array backlighting....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My trusty 42" Sony Wega rear projection LCD in the bedroom has finally given up and so I have an excuse to move the 67" Samsung LED DLP to the bedroom (for as long as it manages to last). So I'm in the market for something of the 4k variety at least 70". I've been eyeing the 75" Sony but there seems to be quite a bit of price range in the 70-75" market. Any suggestions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cornjob posted:

Set it up last night. after calibration, the picture is great. Biggest issue is backlight for sure. when viewed straight on, the backlight is tolerable, but off axis, its a mess. thinking about swapping for something else, but i cant decide on what to get.

LG? Samsung? Vizio? Vizio P and M series has full array backlighting....

I don't think you'll be happy with black levels of the Vizio TVs after having the XBR.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I've had a Sharp LC60LE55OU (60" LED) for almost a year and when I first got it everything was fine, but now there are white spots appearing at the bottom of it that are only noticeable when there's a lighter color on that part of the screen, when it's a dark part it looks fine. It started off with just one spot but now it's breeding like rabbits apparently and there are 5-6 of them all across the bottom of the screen (think around Windows taskbar it's used as an HTPC)

Is this what a dead pixel is? Stuck pixel? Obamacare pixel? I've tried massaging the spots a little to see if it would help and nada.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sharp-lcd-tv/sharp-lc60le550u.html

Link to the TV if it matters

Arrrrrg, googling Sharp white spots and this is apparently huge problem with Sharp customer support being horrific

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

bull3964 posted:

I don't think you'll be happy with black levels of the Vizio TVs after having the XBR.

yeah i think ive ruled out the Vizio... But im unhappy with the black levels (caused by lack of backlight uniformity) of the XBR. Im considering the LG 65UB9200. thoughts?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 6, 2015

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I ordered the LG. im going to do a head to head shoot out against the sony sometime next week, and return one of them. If they both suck, ill try the panasonic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
We ended up buying this TV here, a Sony KBL-70W840 (what's up with TV model names?) but caught some kind of weird flash sale and paid $1700. Is this a good TV? It looked awesome in store but the signal they were pushing through it sucked. The store listed the price at $2300 as well.

Is there anything we should worry about with the Sony KBLs that would justify the Costco product protection thing?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
People say extended warranties are useless, but I've just had a tv crap out 2 years outside of manufacturers warranty this week and am now getting a new tv up to the value of the old one of my choice.

I guess it all depends on how much the cost of the tv is compared to the extended warranty.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Puddin posted:

People say extended warranties are useless, but I've just had a tv crap out 2 years outside of manufacturers warranty this week and am now getting a new tv up to the value of the old one of my choice.

I guess it all depends on how much the cost of the tv is compared to the extended warranty.

Well, it's not so much uselessness as it is a bad bet like most insurance. You insure your car, house, and health because those things are prohibitively expensive to deal with on your own so the bet is worth it, but things like cell phones aren't really that expensive and you can absorb their loss without much hardship. A nearly $2k TV seems to fall into a grey zone because, like, whoa. But I do have credit card warranty extension so I don't think I'll bother unless there's some known semi-common defect in this model that google isn't turning up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some people on AVSForum are reporting that the SEK-3500 Evolution box is giving HU8550 and HU9000 displays the ability to decode / display HDR.

I'm not sold yet but it is an interesting development even if it's now enabling the metadata to be read into a "pseudo HDR" yielding a better PQ.