Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Vegas was really smart in how they deal with gang members. The AI was still boring poo poo, but Raiders were usually found either in their own territory or in ambush locations (High ground, hiding in abandoned buildings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Timeless Appeal posted:

New Vegas was really smart in how they deal with gang members. The AI was still boring poo poo, but Raiders were usually found either in their own territory or in ambush locations (High ground, hiding in abandoned buildings).

99% of the time I found I was ambushing them since I would always have perception at a level more than zero.

Also, did anyone else find DC wasteland more interesting than NV? (Obviously everything else was better in NV)

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Delsaber posted:

Anyway, my solution to the Legion bullet sponges always seems to be "break out the random pile of grenades and dynamite in my inventory despite my lovely explosives skill" and then just lob that stuff everywhere and hope it all hits. Lucky thing those squads only spawn outdoors.

My solution was drugs. All the drugs, all at once. To the eyes of the Legion assassins, their target suddenly started vibrating rapidly, eyes bleeding, with a maniacal grin on its rictus face as they got their knee shot without flinching or slowing down as they charge forward with a fire axe in their white-knuckled grip.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

Please don't make me imagine a Fallout game with literally nothing but memes as dialogue.

What if I told you it already exists...

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I just hope all the Bethesda devs played the witcher 3 and are inspired to create some real characters, interesting quests, and memorable dialogue for once

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blistex posted:

99% of the time I found I was ambushing them since I would always have perception at a level more than zero.

Oh man I'd completely forgotten about the red marks on the compass for enemies. They should really get rid of those.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doesn't the ropekid mod make it so you aint a god no more.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Turds in magma posted:

I just hope all the Bethesda devs played the witcher 3 and are inspired to create some real characters, interesting quests, and memorable dialogue for once

Bethesda meetings after The Witcher 3 came out are probably just Todd Howard screaming at everyone about how much better Skyrim was and how they need to attach the word radiant to more things for Fallout 4.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

they need to attach the word radiant to more things for Fallout 4.

Radiant Weapons
Radiant Dungeons
Radiant Dogs
Radiant Mountains
Radiant Pigs
Radiant Radios
Radiant Radiation

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The radiant raiderth!!!!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Rivet City and other F3 locations were impressive (at least visually), but none of the locations really made any sense. The entire map was basically a deathtrap full of monsters and undrinkable water. I never bought that there would actually be any settlements in the midst of all of that danger. It was fun enough in a theme park kind of way, but to me a world with at least a hint of inter-settlement trade would tighten up the feel. Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion, and F:NV (I know, not developed by Bethesda) all had that, but F3 didn't.

These are good. The Fiends really were gluttons for punishment in mid/late-game F:NV. 1st place goes to those muggers in the Outer Strip, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Turds in magma posted:

it's probably far too late for that but maybe next game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ShadowMar posted:

Bethesda meetings after The Witcher 3 came out are probably just Todd Howard screaming at everyone about how much better Skyrim was and how they need to attach the word radiant to more things for Fallout 4.

With our new Radiant Everything Engine, as soon as you start the game everybody dies and everything explodes. The world of Fallout 4 is very volatile, it's like a house of cards or a very intricate domino arrangement and just by entering the game world you set off a chain of events that kills off all life in a matter of seconds. Dogs run off with food, merchants kill the dogs, rats eat the dogs, rats get dog radiation poisoning, rats explode, the explosions kill people, other people get radiation sickness, then pet their dogs, and so the cycle continues.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

King Vidiot posted:

With our new Radiant Everything Engine, as soon as you start the game everybody dies and everything explodes. The world of Fallout 4 is very volatile, it's like a house of cards or a very intricate domino arrangement and just by entering the game world you set off a chain of events that kills off all life in a matter of seconds. Dogs run off with food, merchants kill the dogs, rats eat the dogs, rats get dog radiation poisoning, rats explode, the explosions kill people, other people get radiation sickness, then pet their dogs, and so the cycle continues.

Better than Fallout 3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The DC ruins were interesting because there were lots of things to crawl around in, though they do reuse a lot of assets I really never tired of it. In an interview one of the people on the team said they orignally had a lot more stuff in the ruins of DC itself but had to cut back on the locations as everything started to look to "samey" and I guess they also ran out of time or something. I do hope there is more variety in Boston.

Replaying FO3 now because I haven't replayed it in a couple years. I'm on my way to GNR now and happened to think to myself - unironically - I wonder if you'll get to travel around whatever this new wasteland is called using the Boston T. I'm probably one of the only people here who didn't mind the subway tunnels and thought it made sense to use to get around the clogged streets above. But then again I'm also a sucker for exploring urban ruins. It's a shame you can't actually walk though the ruined subway cars and pick through whatever people dropped on their way to work/the afterlife.

LLCoolJD posted:

These are good. The Fiends really were gluttons for punishment in mid/late-game F:NV. 1st place goes to those muggers in the Outer Strip, though.
The best part is when people would run up to you and try to give you tribute, only to be interrupted but you being mugged, which immediatly caused everyone to freak out. Having every Kings gang member on the map ruthlessly hunt down muggers in Freeside as you ran though was always fun to watch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked that in New Vegas you could piece together stories just from how loot or objects were placed around locations.

For example there was a room with skeletons lying around and if you looked carefully you could see that they were playing poker and from the cards they still had in their hands you could understand that one of them was cheating and got caught and another guy pulled a gun on him. In some random cave you would find human meat stashed in rows of broken refrigerators and you could piece together a mental breakdown that led to some guy doing that.

There were tons of things like this in the game, a lot of random loot spots had stories like that that weren't explained with any sort of text, quest or dialogue and were just waiting for you to notice them...or not. I loved that poo poo and thought the game was genius for that. Of course that was on top of all the stories that were actually written down for you to read, do quests with or talk about with random NPCs.

The best feeling was when I got the map reveal perk and it turned out that I missed like half the interest points in places that I thought I've already thoroughly explored. And there were still a lot of locations with custom content not even marked on the map. The game was absolutely packed with content that let you widen your understanding of the game world but that information wasn't forced on you and you could miss a lot of stuff if you didn't pay attention and that was the game's biggest advantage over Fallout 3 to me.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 7, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

LLCoolJD posted:

The Fiends really were gluttons for punishment in mid/late-game F:NV. 1st place goes to those muggers in the Outer Strip, though.

At least the Fiends had the excuse of being constantly hepped-up on goofballs, but those muggers are so comically mismatched they may as well be the three old ladies with rolling pins that rush you in Freeside if you have the Wild Wasteland trait.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Palpek posted:

I liked that in New Vegas you could piece together stories just from how loot or objects were placed around locations.

For example there was a room with skeletons lying around and if you looked carefully you could see that they were playing poker and from the cards they still had in their hands you could understand that one of them was cheating and got caught and another guy pulled a gun on him. In some random cave you would find human meat stashed in rows of broken refrigerators and you could piece together a mental breakdown that led to some guy doing that.

There were tons of things like this in the game, a lot of random loot spots had stories like that that weren't explained with any sort of text, quest or dialogue and were just waiting for you to notice them...or not. I loved that poo poo and thought the game was genius for that. Of course that was on top of all the stories that were actually written down for you to read, do quests with or talk about with random NPCs.

The best feeling was when I got the map reveal perk and it turned out that I missed like half the interest points in places that I thought I've already thoroughly explored. And there were still a lot of locations with custom content not even marked on the map. The game was absolutely packed with content that let you widen your understanding of the game world but that information wasn't forced on you and you could miss a lot of stuff if you didn't pay attention and that was the game's biggest advantage over Fallout 3 to me.

To be fair Fallout 3 had a ton of that sort of thing too, classic examples probably being the skeletons hugging in bed or the single bright pink flower growing in the graveyard.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CommissarMega posted:

The NCR is ruled not by its democratic ideals or a President elected by the people, but by brahmin barons and their lobbyists, willing to send hundreds, maybe thousands of their men and women to die in Bumfuckistan, Arizona for more $$$ and prestige, while also being such a bureaucratic nightmare that Fantastic managed to snag an important, high-paying job. Independent endings may leave New Vegas better off in the short run, and maybe you can headcanon a Good karma Courier with access to Big MT as making sure everything stays peachy, but read as written all you're doing is leaving a bunch of independent states too small to resist any organised attempt to take the place over.

Since leaving the technological marvels that are New Vegas and Hoover Dam to the Legion is an exercise in idiocy, the only proper solution is to leave it to someone who can truly appreciate and use them. A leader whose vision, knowledge and foresight had saved Vegas once before, and who also has the will and vision (along with the lifespan to ensure proper enforcement of said will and vision) to do so again.

Hell yeah. This guy gets it. House: good for the Mojave, good for the courier, keeps himself out of trouble with his securitron sex maid.

Blistex posted:

I'm just hoping that they make it so I am not an invincible god by the 35 minute mark like FO3/NV. New Vegas tried to remedy that by requiring 3,500 rounds of .50 AP to kill each of Caesar's men that you would bump into every 15 minutes, but other than that I felt like I was some sort of super-soldier walking around in caveman times.

New Vegas was actually pretty good about the DT system not making things too bullet spongy; even deathclaws and power-armored guys would die pretty quick if you hit them with the right thing. That right thing was usually "any unarmed weapon after getting the perk that makes unarmed ignore DT" but still. There were still a few rough, spongy spots (roboscorpions, the irradiated deathclaws) but it never reached the complete absurdity that was the albino radscorpion.

Having said that I expect Bethesda learned no lessons from NV's example because the exact same bullshit happens in Skyrim after you level high enough :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite thing was fast traveling somewhere and then seeing a legion assassination group trying to beeline towards me but going all over.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ehhh I'm still a fan of the angry people talking to you but somehow forcing conversation from forever away on the other side of a rock.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite thing was fast traveling somewhere and then seeing a legion assassination group trying to beeline towards me but going all over.

I'm pretty sure they're flagged as hostile to just about every other NPC group in the game, so if the assassins spawn even remotely close to a random water merchant or something they'll pretty much forget you exist until they kill everyone else in the area or you remind them with bullets.

Fast travelling around Vegas as much I do this is probably why there isn't a soul left alive outside the walls, human or brahmin alike.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 7, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The DC ruins were interesting because there were lots of things to crawl around in, though they do reuse a lot of assets I really never tired of it. In an interview one of the people on the team said they orignally had a lot more stuff in the ruins of DC itself but had to cut back on the locations as everything started to look to "samey" and I guess they also ran out of time or something. I do hope there is more variety in Boston.

Replaying FO3 now because I haven't replayed it in a couple years. I'm on my way to GNR now and happened to think to myself - unironically - I wonder if you'll get to travel around whatever this new wasteland is called using the Boston T. I'm probably one of the only people here who didn't mind the subway tunnels and thought it made sense to use to get around the clogged streets above. But then again I'm also a sucker for exploring urban ruins. It's a shame you can't actually walk though the ruined subway cars and pick through whatever people dropped on their way to work/the afterlife.

I feel exactly the same way about the sewers. They were sweet.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is three dog going to be in this game. i really hope three dog isn't in this game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't think there's a Fallout 1+2 thread anywhere but the fallout 4 announcement made me realize I haven't played FO1 or 2 in a long time. Is that Fallout 2 restoration mod that came out years ago any good or is it garbage. those things are only ever one extreme or the other.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cardboard Box posted:

is three dog going to be in this game. i really hope three dog isn't in this game.

This is Bethesda, they love to cram as many drat dogs in as they can.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

It's his illegitimate love child, Four Cats.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best is when NPCs nearby try to fight the assassins. The NCR guys can put a dent in them, but everyone else gets destroyed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favourite thing was seeing the legion heading towards me from way off and then watching them getting swarmed by a pack of deathclaws or those annoying poison bugs. The next best thing was just walking backwards while laying a mine every few meters. Whoever managed to get to me at the end of that would usually fall to a bullet or two.

Wolfsheim posted:

but it never reached the complete absurdity that was the albino radscorpion.

First time I saw one I thought that it was bugged as there was no damage shown after a full magazine from the combat shotgun/10mm SMG. I think I finally had to break out the nukes after rockets didn't really seem to do the trick.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

2house2fly posted:

To be fair Fallout 3 had a ton of that sort of thing too, classic examples probably being the skeletons hugging in bed or the single bright pink flower growing in the graveyard.

Yeah I started a replay of FO3 a couple of days ago while I've been down with a cold, and I just found the house with the skeletons spooning in bed with 2 doses of Med-X on the bedside table. There's a fair amount of this sort of thing if you're looking for it.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Sankis posted:

I don't think there's a Fallout 1+2 thread anywhere but the fallout 4 announcement made me realize I haven't played FO1 or 2 in a long time. Is that Fallout 2 restoration mod that came out years ago any good or is it garbage. those things are only ever one extreme or the other.

Killaps Restoration Project is good, also fixes over a thousand bugs.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Shugojin posted:

It's his illegitimate love child, Four Cats.

Imagine four cats on the edge of a cliff.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Didn't his VA sent a tweet a while back saying he was doing more work for Bethesda? Donno if that's still the case but I also seem to remember someone mentioning that they have some one else doing it now, but it's in a post burried in one of these threads and who knows if it's actually true.

Lets just assume worst case scenario and that he is back in the game and has some unhealthy obsession with you, letting thw world know that the second coming of Jesus has arrived, except for that one time when you didn't let a bunch of crazy ghouls murder a building full of people beacuse they didn't let their leader in.

This also begs the question of when this game takes place - everything in the trailer looks like its been abandoned for less than 50 years, which would put this roughly in the time frame of FO1. But Bethesda never goes back in time and if they're hoing to tie all the crap that took place in FO3 into FO4 then we'd still need to be in around the late 2270's.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pretty sure if we all get on Twitter to tell Pete Hines how ugly fallout 4 is he'll cry

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm sure it's concurrent with or after Fallout 3. That game had the same issues in regard to the setting. It was 200 years after the apocalypse but the world was like the bombs fell only a generation ago. It's why I like the progression of Fallout 1 -> 2 -> New Vegas so much. There's a progression of people adapting to their new environment even if things are still immensely hosed.

Fallout 3 also overdid the 1950s thing way too much. It's like they thought it was literally the 1950s instead of the future as seen by popular science in the 1950s.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

echronorian posted:

Pretty sure if we all get on Twitter to tell Pete Hines how ugly fallout 4 is he'll cry

Thats mean.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Thats mean.

I wasn't loved as a child so I make up for it being mean on line on the internet

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really hope the game is very good and a lot of people like it, but if its just okay instead thats cool, and if its really bad thats also cool, but I don't think it will be.

I dunno if they'd be able to convince anybody the writing improved but it would be nice if the stage show would do something like show off different ways of handling the same quest, for instance.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fallout makes my brain all gooey and is one of those games my fiance will also play with a stranger fiery conviction.
I want to believe this will be a good game.
The trailer did look a bit janky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it looks terrific but Pete Hines is getting defensive on Twitter about the graphics lol

• Locked thread