Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bottom Liner posted:

I wonder why

Actually it's because she's not really into spatial games. She regularly kicks my rear end at Roll for the Galaxy and Twilight Struggle. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bobfly posted:

Pretty standard jokes. I'm sorry for your day, friend :/

Mega64 posted:

Nobody's mentioned Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity or the f-word, so it's been pretty calm considering.

Ah ok. I think I'm gonna get off the internet for a while, then.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Nobody's mentioned Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity or the f-word, so it's been pretty calm considering.

Played some loving Troyes 2 player today. Not sure how I feel about it. It seems ok but kind of feels like I'm pulling a lever that swings a boot that kicks a bass drum that wakes up a chicken that poops out 2 vp. I won 34 to 32. I will play some more.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 6, 2015

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Wow, for a bit I thought this was the designer getting salty, but it's just some rando. Holy poo poo, go outside, man.

Related to this and Eminent Domain: Played Eminent Domain: Microcosm a week or two ago, but because it's a Tasty Minstrel Games game, the rules are printed on a postcard (just like that piece of poo poo Harbour), and it's not terribly clear. The game is simple, but the rule swatch is just not well laid out. Cue going to BGG to decipher how to play the game, where I see this thread where the designer is answering questions, and getting just a tiny bit salty.

Seth Jaffee on BGG posted:

I guess you need to read the Colonize card to know that a planet card in front of you is called a colony, but I expect people should read the text on all of the cards, they apply as rules as well as the rules sheet!
---
The rules do list "1vp for each Domain card, Colony, and Spoils of a particular color" as a scoring condition. And I had hoped the example would clear up any questions as to how scoring works
---
I was surprised to see this list, as I feel like all of these items are answered by the rules - assuming one reads the cards as well.
Emphasis mine. It's not too bad, but it is like he's trying to blame the readers for not understanding rules where the only thing that is unambiguous is how terrible the sheet is.

Keep in mind, this game involves a mechanic of revealing cards, but some of those cards are hidden in your hand while others are already face up, but you can reveal them... and there's a separate pile of face up cards which cannot be revealed. That's totally intuitive, right? Really, this game would have been better served by greater 'keywording' like you see in CCGs. Like, if a card said: "Reveal (warfare) icons equal to the defense value of the planet to put it into your Spoils." It implies that Reveal is not simply an English word, but a game term. Same goes for the difference between Planets and Colonies.

And don't get me wrong, it's nice that you're clearing things up, but maybe if you had an actual rule book or maybe if TMG posted a FAQ or rules or anything besides a storefront on their 'under construction' website, then gamers wouldn't have to be trying to divine how you play your game with what's written on that napkin that accidentally got left in the box.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Ok i think ill use set up bags too. May need to order some, this will need a lot.

Another quick one for Mage Knight because I scanned the rules and net for this answer but wasn't sure. I'm guessing I can't land on a village space and visit it AND attract the orcs from being in two adjacent spaces consecutively. Does the Orcattack overrule the village, and I have to wait for next turn to recruit/plunder?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

When I got my copy of Microcosm I had to read the rules postcard like 3 times, and I skimmed all the cards' text in between each reading. It all came together after the 3rd reading, but it was a very tersely worded set of rules. Which was silly, since the back side of the rules sheet was literally just showing all of the cards in the game, seemed like a waste of space.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

or the f-word,

... ...

fcosmic encounter?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fat Turkey posted:

Ok i think ill use set up bags too. May need to order some, this will need a lot.

Another quick one for Mage Knight because I scanned the rules and net for this answer but wasn't sure. I'm guessing I can't land on a village space and visit it AND attract the orcs from being in two adjacent spaces consecutively. Does the Orcattack overrule the village, and I have to wait for next turn to recruit/plunder?

Correct. If you provoke a rampaging enemy/enemies, fighting them takes up your action for the turn, you can't do anything other than fight with your action.

If you provoke them by assaulting a fortified site (mage tower keep, city, or Volkare('s camp)), they join that fight.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Tendales posted:

... ...

fcosmic encounter?

I guess Fluxx...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's "fun". The joke is "fun". God bless.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of Mage Knight what would be an easier scenario to do in Solo play? I'm thinking of the shorter variant of Conquest i don't really want to fiddle with the dummy player. Either of the Volkare scenarios would eliminate that problem but then his would be a bit harder to do considering you're by yourself against his army.

The Lost Legion book with the Volkare scenarios do say to feel free to adjust the numbers beyond what's provided for difficulty levels. It all works, you won't break the game or anything if you make Volkare a little weaker and/or the map smaller and junk if that helps.

You can just use Volkare instead of a city and other such tweaks too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mister Sinewave posted:

The Lost Legion book with the Volkare scenarios do say to feel free to adjust the numbers beyond what's provided for difficulty levels. It all works, you won't break the game or anything if you make Volkare a little weaker and/or the map smaller and junk if that helps.

You can just use Volkare instead of a city and other such tweaks too.

Meaning i could have 3 regular cities plus Volkare? That might be interesting

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How about two regular cities, Volkare, and a Megalopolis :unsmigghh:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Magnetic North posted:

Emphasis mine. It's not too bad, but it is like he's trying to blame the readers for not understanding rules where the only thing that is unambiguous is how terrible the sheet is.

I feel the designer, I really do. It's frustrating to see questions that are explained in the rules. But people can't read his mind and what you think is people being lazy & stupid can be legit struggling for a handhold.

Not everybody thinks the same and when you're learning something new it's easy to have your thinking railroaded either by early misunderstanding, preconceptions, or bias and have that prevent you from seeing or understanding what you "should". That's not even really the fault of anyone, it's human nature and part of how our brains work.

The mitigation to this is clarity and context among other things. If the rules or references aren't super clear to begin with or have unusual concepts right off, that's just going to be a hurdle. People can't read your mind.

I do feel for the guy though, that poo poo is frustrating for anyone, especially when you feel like you get through it only to do it all over again.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah, page 11 in Lost Legion had variant rules for Volkare in place of a city as well as guidance on adjusting Volkare's level.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Motherfucking FORGE WAR is everything Lords of Waterdeep should have been.

It is baller as gently caress.

Area control with funky thought provoking mechanics? Yes.

Worker placement with tough choices? Yes.

"Short" game taking ~90 minutes? Yes.

"Epic" game taking 3-4 hours? YES.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Malloreon posted:

I NEED to get this on the table next weekend

EBag
May 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

It's "fun". The joke is "fun". God bless.

Oh right, that word.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EBag posted:

Oh right, that word.
Fsteak?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Played some loving Troyes 2 player today. Not sure how I feel about it. It seems ok but kind of feels like I'm pulling a lever that swings a boot that kicks a bass drum that wakes up a chicken that poops out 2 vp. I won 34 to 32. I will play some more.

I love 2p Troyes. I also don't generally care for 2p games. How does it feel different with 2p? Do you normally play with 4?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fstab

gently caress nfs

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Malloreon posted:

But Tom Vasel didn't like it, so it's not fun. Sorry dude, enjoy playing your unfun game.

Edit: for real though, everything Malloreon said is true. Game owns bones

Durendal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Durendal posted:

But Tom Vasel didn't like it, so it's not fun. Sorry dude, enjoy playing your unfun game.

Serious question, does Tom Vasel actually like any games that we like?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I think so? Dude really enjoyed Caverna, but that review was ruined because he said it dumpsters Agricola.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

He likes Galaxy Trucker and is utterly flabbergasted that his two bald idiot friends do not.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I love 2p Troyes. I also don't generally care for 2p games. How does it feel different with 2p? Do you normally play with 4?

I think it was just general clumsy first game syndrome since I was teaching, and maybe the cards specific to that game. There was one peasant combo in that last game (artisan + innkeeper) that was off the chain and everything else was pretty ho hum in comparison. The clergy cards were all pushing peasants too, so it felt a bit predictable and kind of like we were pressing buttons and pulling levers to reach the same inevitable outcome.

We're playing again with Die Damen Von Troyes and this game already feels more interesting.

E: Vasel unpredictably has Le Havre in his top 10. Token euro that isn't about fantasy/space? He also really likes Kemet I guess

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 7, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

He had a glowing review of Argent, his only real criticism being that he felt it could be two big and intimidating for many people. He loved Agricola, but he believes Caverna to be superior.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
As someone late to the party, can someone explain or link to the reason forum consensus on Dead of Winter is so negative? SuSD and other things I've read seem to like it. I tried looking for Dead of Winter related chat in the thread, but mostly I just find people talking about other games using DoW as a reference, which I guess at least means it made a lasting impression.

Basically I saw it for a good price and got it, but I'm not sure if I should play it or gift it or resell it.

Edit: Also a general explanation of the "Bad games crew" avatars would clear some confusion, but I'm also kind of entertained not knowing.

SmellOfPetroleum fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 7, 2015

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Some Numbers posted:

"we"

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

goons are a hivemind

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

As someone late to the party, can someone explain or link to the reason forum consensus on Dead of Winter is so negative? SuSD and other things I've read seem to like it. I tried looking for Dead of Winter related chat in the thread, but mostly I just find people talking about other games using DoW as a reference, which I guess at least means it made a lasting impression.

Basically I saw it for a good price and got it, but I'm not sure if I should play it or gift it or resell it.

It's a fine game, most of the idiots here that have railed against it never played it. I remember one poster here or in the imp zone claiming that you could be out of the game on a bad roll on the exposure dice, this poster obviously didn't even read the rule book or he would know that you're not playing a single survivor and instead a faction of survivors with a leader. This poster would also know that you're not out of the game if your leader is killed you only lose your stuff and start a new leader and continue the game. The group think on SA is strong I seriously suggest you weigh what is said here with other sources.

You can read the rules to the game here and make an educated choice on if you want to play the game or not:
https://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/rules.pdf

or just play caylus: because gently caress it caylus

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 7, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

4outof5 posted:

It's a fine game, most of the idiots here that have railed against it never played it. I remember one poster here or in the imp zone claiming that you could be out of the game on a bad roll on the exposure dice, this poster obviously didn't even read the rule book or he would know that you're not playing a single survivor and instead a faction of survivors with a leader. This poster would also know that you're not out of the game if your leader is killed you only lose your stuff and start a new leader and continue the game. The group think on SA is strong I seriously suggest you weigh what is said here with other sources.

You can read the rules to the game here and make an educated choice on if you want to play the game or not:
https://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/rules.pdf

or just play caylus: because gently caress it caylus

Counterpoint: 4outof5 is a shithead. Full stop.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Malloreon posted:

That's how I felt about Argent to be honest, it was what LoW should have been in a lot of ways. Gonna have to look into Forge War now I suppose.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dead of Winter has some issues but it's still pretty good. The theme is fine and there is a lot of variety in the box (the scenarios and crossroads cards can greatly affect the quality of the game, beware). Just remember to explain to the survivors to work toward the group goal first, then personal goals are secondary or else they'll all just focus on that and you'll have a bad time. I explained it the last time we played as "you can survive, and then you can thrive by completing your own personal goal". I don't care how many books your stupid dog has if we can't even feed the colony for the required amount of rounds.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 7, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Edit: Also a general explanation of the "Bad games crew" avatars would clear some confusion, but I'm also kind of entertained not knowing.
The game is set up so you don't actually know if there's a traitor. This makes the difficulty really, really wonky if there is. But even just using the supported "always a traitor" or "never a traitor" houserules, the implementation of the traitor and objective rules are a mess.

The supposed idea is that each loyalist player has a secret agenda that they have to fulfill or they don't win, tearing them between "best for the group" and "best for me", but the catch with that is that when one of them becomes impossible, there's no way for the player to get any kind of partial victory by focusing on the other. It's a really schizophrenic and unsatisfying system that tries to make you play selfishly, then punishes you for doing so.

And that's not even getting into the traitor themself. The problems with the traitor are paramount. 1. There's no real way to subtly be a traitor, aside from just playing badly (the Shadows Over Camelot problem). This reduces your strategies as the traitor to A) be really obvious right off the bat and get exiled (and I'll get to the problem with that in a minute), or B) play exactly like a loyalist until the right moment to completely spike a single check, ending the game in a personal victory that absolutely no one else could do anything about, and that makes them feel like the outcome of the game was out of their hands. If the traitor (or anyone, actually), is exiled, they get a new objective card. It could be trivially easy, or it could be literally impossible, based on the current game state. There's no satisfying conclusion most of the time to what's going on. It's mostly just a matter of luck at that point.

In fact, the whole game tries to present itself as this story-heavy traitor game where your choices matter and create a narrative, but half the time, that narrative makes no sense or is completely anticlimactic.

Basically, Dead of Winter tries to be Battlestar Galactica with zombies, but only succeeds in being Betrayal At The House On The Hill With Zombies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You just reminded me of my biggest gripe with the game; variable player difficulty due to the personal objectives. The person beside you might have a secret goal that synergizes really well with their character(s) and the main goal, and you might have one that's completely at odds with everything on the board, making your mission a lot harder to "win". That can lead to a lot of players feeling bitter about the game because sometimes they have no way of possibly fulfilling their hidden requirements, so why bother at all with the main objective if they're still going to lose? That can be brushed under the "theme rug" I guess, sacrificing yourself for the group, but eh, it's still a bad mechanic when you get screwed because of the huge variability. That said, I still like it enough to play when someone asks for it.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

Bottom Liner posted:

You just reminded me of my biggest gripe with the game; variable player difficulty due to the personal objectives. The person beside you might have a secret goal that synergizes really well with their character(s) and the main goal, and you might have one that's completely at odds with everything on the board, making your mission a lot harder to "win". That can lead to a lot of players feeling bitter about the game because sometimes they have no way of possibly fulfilling their hidden requirements, so why bother at all with the main objective if they're still going to lose? That can be brushed under the "theme rug" I guess, sacrificing yourself for the group, but eh, it's still a bad mechanic when you get screwed because of the huge variability. That said, I still like it enough to play when someone asks for it.

I think almost any "coop" can be lost on bad luck. There are multiple ways where bad combos/card draws can screw you to the point you can't win in Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories not to mention Pandemic with bunches of viruses mucking about. It doesn't feel great to lose that way no doubt but are coops about winning or how you got to that win? I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but the best play sessions I have with these type of games always come down to the story of what happened not the mechanics of what happened win or lose.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I played Terra Mystica on the weekend and was actually kind of underwhelmed by it. I'm really not sure why, it works and everything, maybe I finally understand what other people mean when they say a Euro is too 'dry'. Kind felt like a joyless exercise in number crunching and doing whatever fit your faction's special ability best, and going to the BGG strategy forums didn't help me care about it more - a lot of faction statistics and discussion that reminds me too much of video-game style 'make sure you pick the right stuff before the game even starts' variety that I enjoy less and less these days.

I'll have to play it a few more times to see if my view changes on it I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

4outof5 posted:

I think almost any "coop" can be lost on bad luck. There are multiple ways where bad combos/card draws can screw you to the point you can't win in Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories not to mention Pandemic with bunches of viruses mucking about. It doesn't feel great to lose that way no doubt but are coops about winning or how you got to that win? I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but the best play sessions I have with these type of games always come down to the story of what happened not the mechanics of what happened win or lose.

I agree, but in those games you are more of a true team and bad luck happens to you all. In Dead of Winter, you're a team but the game is harder or easier for individual members because of hidden information, which is worse than bad luck making your team work together to get around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Ghost Stories is the only good game in that whole post anyway and its still a solo puzzle masquerading as a multiplayer game that occasionally* just tells you to gently caress off and lose.

*well, like half the time but at least Ghost Stories is consistently difficult unlike RC and DoW.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 7, 2015