Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

Who's Rudatron?

edit: Also, CoC, it's possible to be hell of religious without being Authoritarian, I am and imo it's great. Christ came to make us free, etc

From the other crazy religious thread CoC posts in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681766&pagenumber=307#post446189236

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It`s pretty close to being an absolute value tough. Pretty much the only time you are allowed to disobey is if the parent is somehow violating god`s law. That means "honoring" the father that beat you as a child, but not the mother who fled from the church to protect her children ( she has condemned to eternal death by taking them away from god`s mercy). It must really suck to a true beleiver.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Oh, cool.

Baudolino posted:

It`s pretty close to being an absolute value tough. Pretty much the only time you are allowed to disobey is if the parent is somehow violating god`s law. That means "honoring" the father that beat you as a child, but not the mother who fled from the church to protect her children ( she has condemned to eternal death by taking them away from god`s mercy). It must really suck to a true beleiver.
There are plenty of Christian religions that don't believe this. In the first place, not every Christian denomination believes the Bible is infallible and that random sentence fragments from it can be taken out of context and still mean anything.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Baudolino posted:

Most modern followers of Abrahamic religions aren't bronze-age nomads, and thus don't necessarily follow the same ethics.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CowOnCrack posted:

As much as I wish to see a resolution in this conflict, my eyes well up with tears. It is simply a values disagreement between the Godly and the godless. There can be no reconciliation.

Those who you accuse of being 'Authoritarians' are simply the people of God.

Believers are aware of the moral law. If we are not hypocrites, we seek to obey it. Therefore, if we are forced to disobey, we must make a choice to disobey or flee those who disobey.

I have watched how the romance culture in this country has led to never-ending torment for myself and the people I've known who have just wanted a soulmate and a wife and nothing else. I've watched how ungodly parenting in my own life through temptations like psychiatry and lack of discipline has screwed up the emotional lives of myself, my brother, and my sister. I have watched how our broken, ungodly home has caused us all to suffer because of the decline of family values and the presence of evil influences like the video game addiction that crippled me and the drug use that has crippled my sister.

I have watched how our home in the 90s, which appeared to be a peaceful and values-neutral bastion, has descended further and further into chaotic and formless misery. Our family has fallen, and become the very evil that those stories my mother read to us as children warned us of.

Instead of thinking of yourselves only in this culture war, think of the families of Christians. Think of the tears and misery in their homes as their young ones turn to temptations that destroy them. Think of the tears of their parents and their siblings. Do you really know your enemy? We pray for those who persecute us, and when the cross is erected for us, and our time comes, we are called to go the way our Lord did and let the prince of this world win.

Christians will have to either leave, or submit to those who persecute their faith and seek to destroy their families. We believe that there is an end, and that there will be great persecution in those days. You are proving us all right.

No country has been safe haven forever for the people of God. Marriage is between one man and one woman, and homosexuality is a light perversion, not an identity that destroys this sacred institution. Without marriage, without fathers disciplining their children, without children obeying their parents, without wives submitting to their husbands, and without husbands loving their wives, no nation can stand against the Evil One and God's impending judgment.

Between fighting and leaving, I plan to take my future wife and family to Africa. Specifically, Liberia. My Mom, the other Christian in my family, is trying to build an orphanage there and wants me to secede her charity work. I am lucky that I haven't established myself here already and I'll have an opportunity to leave.

Let God's judgment fall on this sinful nation. Remember, it is not you sinners that we hate. Instead, we pray for you, that you might repent of your wicked ways. It's never too late to turn to Jesus. Without faith and our families, we are nothing. Not all the material prosperity, economic splendor, earthly riches and the worldly temptations of this land will change that.

And PJ, no analysis of so-called 'Authoritarians' that you can spin in your brilliant mind will change the fact that you are rationalizing disobeying your father and your mother. You are a sinner, and only repenting to God will cure the sin in your heart. The sinful heart can be the source of all kinds of brilliantly crafted lies and self-delusions. They are given to you by the evil one to encourage disobedience in others. The voices in your head are spirits, and the spiritual world is real. I experience the same thing. Repent and submit to the spirit of God, and then obey your father and your mother because they love you. I was guilty of the same disobedience for much of my life.

"There are those who curse their fathers and do not bless their mothers; those who are pure in their own eyes and yet are not cleansed of their filth; those whose eyes are ever so haughty, whose glances are so disdainful; those whose teeth are swords and whose jaws are set with knives to devour the poor from the earth and the needy from among mankind."

-Proverbs 30:11-14

Jesus and I both love you. God loves you. Your parents love you. I will pray for you.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a genuine, bonified Inner Narrative. This is 100% no poo poo for real, and it is a fantastic illustration of the self serving, narcissistic nature of the Inner Narrative. Note how deliberately he uses my parents abuse as a provocation whilst disguising it as genuine concern for my well being. Note how he is able to scoff at my ignorance from his position of towering charity, as if he pities me like some feral beast unable to comprehend its own miserable existence. To be quite honest, the entire point of that entire post was to use my parents abuse as an emotional cudgel (which by the way sweetie, this chic has too much class to be so easily provoked. I'll let the mods handle you) all the while he fantasizes about loving off to some 3rd world country where he assumes a meager amount of wealth will enable him to live as a local noble.

CoC, thanks for being so kind as to demonstrate a living Inner Narrative. Now that said, get help sweetie. I am not your enemy and lashing out at me in the most vicious manner you felt you could is not going to resolve any of your own struggles. Get help sweetie, really consider it someday.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 7, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Prester John posted:

I would also suggest that the eldest daughter is the scapegoat of the family (a more or less universal feature of dysfunctional familes, and especially Narcissistc families) and as a result has been so abused that she is infantile and easily exploited. If her Father is a for real Clinical Narcissist than this has been intentionally done, likely because at a younger age she showed some signs of independence and has been made a public example of to her siblings.

Typically in Quiverfull/ATI families the oldest daughter is expected to take on a caretaker role to her younger siblings to help her mother (since there are SO MANY kids it's hard to have only one maternal figure to take on all the responsibilities). This can eventually lead to the daughter having more of a parental relationship to her youngest siblings than a sibling relationship. Here's a blog post from a woman who left a similar family who was also the eldest daughter taking care of younger siblings. She explains how taking on this role makes it even harder to leave because it's like abandoning your children, and the policy Quiverfull/ATI/Conservative Christian subculture parents have towards "rebellious" children is always cutting off contact between family and child completely. For the author, she has to pretend she's still religious and will raise her own children within the subculture in order to have any visiting time with her brothers and sisters.

If you're (not you specifically PJ, the entire thread) interested in learning more about the Duggars and their lifestyle I would recommend reading through all her blog posts.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baudolino posted:

It`s pretty close to being an absolute value tough. Pretty much the only time you are allowed to disobey is if the parent is somehow violating god`s law.

Did you just leave a cult compound and stumble onto an internet forum?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Woolie Wool posted:

Why would you spoiler the premise of a book? That's like talking about Star Wars and putting "Galactic Empire" in spoilers.

E: CowonCrack cannot be serious. :psyduck:

Also please explain to me how gay marriage affects your own hetero marriage at all. Do you think the Gaystapo are going to force you to suck cocks in their secret sex dungeon? :nallears:

Sorry, i don't post much, i didn't want to annoy anybody, so erred on the side of caution.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 7, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prester John posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a genuine, bonified Inner Narrative.

I was thinking the same thing, it's just like that video of the lady talking about dark sided people.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Typically in Quiverfull/ATI families the oldest daughter is expected to take on a caretaker role to her younger siblings to help her mother (since there are SO MANY kids it's hard to have only one maternal figure to take on all the responsibilities). This can eventually lead to the daughter having more of a parental relationship to her youngest siblings than a sibling relationship. Here's a blog post from a woman who left a similar family who was also the eldest daughter taking care of younger siblings. She explains how taking on this role makes it even harder to leave because it's like abandoning your children, and the policy Quiverfull/ATI/Conservative Christian subculture parents have towards "rebellious" children is always cutting off contact between family and child completely. For the author, she has to pretend she's still religious and will raise her own children within the subculture in order to have any visiting time with her brothers and sisters.

If you're (not you specifically PJ, the entire thread) interested in learning more about the Duggars and their lifestyle I would recommend reading through all her blog posts.

I find the idea of raising your own children within a cult you're only pretending to be part of for the sake of siblings you're in a hosed up quasi-parental relationship with completely perverse, and I really think she should put the needs of her actual children ahead of her "child-siblings" and leave the cult completely. One group or the other is going to lose no matter what, so it's better the already-indoctrinated sibling "children" lose than the biological children who are much younger and not yet indoctrinated.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 7, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
There may be an element of antiquated behaviour within this, that possibly extends to non-cult environments. My grandmother, for example, was a hardcore Catholic and never practised any form of contraception. She was pregnant about 12 times within her life, but not all of her children survived. The oldest surviving daughter (second daughter, chronologically; the first didn't make it) was made something of a pariah when she started rebelling at age. The result was that the second-oldest daughter was so intimidated by the response that she got roped into raising the younger children as a sort of sibling-parent at the age of 13. The demands to do so were pretty strong, as both of the parents had to work to make ends meet in a family of what only turned out to be 4 children.

What gets me about the Duggar situation is how they managed to get as far as they did without one of the children dying. She must've had a miscarriage or something by now.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I find the idea of raising your own children within a cult you're only pretending to be part of for the sake of siblings you're in a hosed up quasi-parental relationship with completely perverse, and I really think she should put the needs of her actual children ahead of her "child-siblings" and leave the cult completely. One group or the other is going to lose no matter what, so it's better the already-indoctrinated sibling "children" lose than the biological children who are much younger and not yet indoctrinated.

She's only pretending when she visits her parents. In reality, she's not living the lifestyle at all and is raising her children religion-free. She has no intention of abusing her kids the way she was abused.

When her parents demanded that she break up with her boyfriend because he wasn't conservative or Christian enough, she refused and was essentially cut off from the family. Ironically once she married him she "passed from the authority of her father to her husband" so they backed off and now she can visit her siblings. But things are still awkward because the parents suspect something is up.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oh well that makes more sense then. :unsmith:

What cults do to families in the name of "family values" is probably the single most horrifying thing about them.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Morroque posted:

What gets me about the Duggar situation is how they managed to get as far as they did without one of the children dying. She must've had a miscarriage or something by now.

She has. Child #20 was stillborn. There are disturbing pictures.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FourLeaf posted:

She has. Child #20 was stillborn. There are disturbing pictures.

Wasn't there a miscarriage back when it was around kid #10?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wasn't there a miscarriage back when it was around kid #10?

quote:

The Duggars chose to wait before having children and used birth control pills in the early years of their marriage.:catstare: Their eldest child, Joshua, was born in 1988. They resumed using oral contraceptives after Josh's birth but conceived again despite this precaution. Michelle miscarried that pregnancy. The Duggars believed the miscarriage was due to their use of contraceptives, and decided to stop using birth control.
So what would have been the second one, I guess. gently caress if I can keep track of all their crotch-spawn. I normally don't use that term but goddammit if there's one place where that term is appropriate it's the Duggars/Quiverfull families like them.

Oh yeah, I also learned this:

quote:

The [Duggar] children are homeschooled using a mix of materials, including "Switched On Schoolhouse", Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP), and Accelerated Christian Education (ACE). Several of the older children use the CollegePlus! program for post-secondary studies.
:stare:

I think I've mentioned before that I would literally pick growing up in Iraq vs growing up in an ACE school, so my opinion of the Duggars has somehow sunk even lower. I'm not sure how that's possible, but it has.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

fade5 posted:

So what would have been the second one, I guess. gently caress if I can keep track of all their crotch-spawn. I normally don't use that term but goddammit if there's one place where that term is appropriate it's the Duggars/Quiverfull families like them.

Don't use it period, it makes you look stupid and tryhard

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Don't use it period, it makes you look stupid and tryhard

Whereas posts like yours are what all the cool kids are doing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Whereas posts like yours are what all the cool kids are doing.

It was not malevolent in intention, but rather a cautionary statement, much like a friend does not let a friend go out for a night on the town wearing a hideous shirt.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

Prester John posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a genuine, bonified Inner Narrative. This is 100% no poo poo for real, and it is a fantastic illustration of the self serving, narcissistic nature of the Inner Narrative. Note how deliberately he uses my parents abuse as a provocation whilst disguising it as genuine concern for my well being. Note how he is able to scoff at my ignorance from his position of towering charity, as if he pities me like some feral beast unable to comprehend its own miserable existence. To be quite honest, the entire point of that entire post was to use my parents abuse as an emotional cudgel (which by the way sweetie, this chic has too much class to be so easily provoked. I'll let the mods handle you) all the while he fantasizes about loving off to some 3rd world country where he assumes a meager amount of wealth will enable him to live as a local noble.

CoC, thanks for being so kind as to demonstrate a living Inner Narrative. Now that said, get help sweetie. I am not your enemy and lashing out at me in the most vicious manner you felt you could is not going to resolve any of your own struggles. Get help sweetie, really consider it someday.

Hey 'sweetie', you're telling him to get help but the help you got was a load of harmful pills and bad psychiatry that led you to drop out of being the man you were well equipped to be. Think a willfull person is going to 'get help' in light of that? This might sound terrible to you and frankness like this is why you shouldn't dig yourself into deep holes, but you are really deluded, a dead end, whereas he isn't. I'm only saying this because it's loving remarkable that Christians have become the crazy ones in this new weirld order. Even if I think you're FUBAR, that guy apparently doesn't think so, yet he's crazy, he's evil, he's a wacko paranoid that is twisting your posts into 'an emotional cudgel' to be used against you. I'm sorry for your condition but you can't get away with talking such poo poo without getting a reaction.

Now who seems worse to you, me or him?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Deep Thought posted:

Hey 'sweetie', you're telling him to get help but the help you got was a load of harmful pills and bad psychiatry that led you to drop out of being the man you were well equipped to be. Think a willfull person is going to 'get help' in light of that? This might sound terrible to you and frankness like this is why you shouldn't dig yourself into deep holes, but you are really deluded, a dead end, whereas he isn't. I'm only saying this because it's loving remarkable that Christians have become the crazy ones in this new weirld order. Even if I think you're FUBAR, that guy apparently doesn't think so, yet he's crazy, he's evil, he's a wacko paranoid that is twisting your posts into 'an emotional cudgel' to be used against you. I'm sorry for your condition but you can't get away with talking such poo poo without getting a reaction.

A street corner is missing its lunatic.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Deep Thought posted:

Oh, definitely him. You just seem like a run of the mill rear end in a top hat.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If you want to rant against psychiatry or transgender people I suggest you start a thread to do that in. Now that you've gotten people's attention by being obnoxious you can leave this thread and start a new one with an audience ready to hear your remarkable insights.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deep Thought posted:

You just sound like a loving douchebag who's doing it on purpose so it kinda washes out

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

His username is a lie.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Deep Thought posted:

Exclamation Marx posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Deep Thought posted:

Is this some sort of Poe I'm not getting?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Is this some sort of Poe I'm not getting?

Nah, his post history says he's pretty much always this obnoxious.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Deep Thought posted:

Neither of you are anywhere close to getting an emotional reaction from me. So the answer to your question is "I don't care".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This new guy is a disappointment. Step up your game. It's not 2002 any more.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If that was bait it's the day old bread to my bored fish eyes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CowOnCrack posted:

Between fighting and leaving, I plan to take my future wife and family to Africa. Specifically, Liberia. My Mom, the other Christian in my family, is trying to build an orphanage there and wants me to secede her charity work.

:lol:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deep Thought posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
CoC, you're still hurting others. Stop posting in D&D threads, make an E/N thread if you want validation that much.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Deep Thought posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I see Absurd Alhazred even reused the Bugs Bunny gif! :golfclap:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Deep Thought posted:

Hey 'sweetie', you're telling him to get help but the help you got was a load of harmful pills and bad psychiatry that led you to drop out of being the man you were well equipped to be. Think a willfull person is going to 'get help' in light of that? This might sound terrible to you and frankness like this is why you shouldn't dig yourself into deep holes, but you are really deluded, a dead end, whereas he isn't. I'm only saying this because it's loving remarkable that Christians have become the crazy ones in this new weirld order.

Please don't presume to speak for my faith, thanks. There are a lot of sane Christians out there when it comes to social issues.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

CoC is serious - if you read his post history in the piano and classical music threads, you see him going from normal poster to starting to post like some sort of manic depressive, alternating between how everything is awesome and he's making great progress to everything being terrible and all the pieces are too hard and he's going to quit and never touch the piano again, to posting about how he's had epiphanies and is never going to play a piece in front of other people until it's 100% perfect now becuase it's utterly disrespectful to the music.

Then he starts posting in the W&W thread about weight loss of all things, about how going off his meds was the best thing ever because they don't work at all and it's all a scam.

And then his christian fundie posting started here.

It's honestly pretty sad to watch, he was actually decent at the piano and would have had a good future in music, and now he just looks completely insane.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Agreed.
Everyone likes to respond to CoC as if they're going to catch him in some logic trap and he'll accept internet atheism as his lord and savior when the reality is that he is a seriously unwell individual and requires treatment that he is not getting (iirc actively refusing).

That said, it is pretty fascinating to see where his mind goes when he pops into threads like this

(p.s. Prester John this is an amazing thread)

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

As someone who was on unnecessary meds, I really hope I didn't inspire anyone to go off the useful ones.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Is he trying to say his mom wants him to succeed her in her charity work and just got confused between the words "secede" and "succeed"? If not I have no idea what he's trying to say.

rudatron posted:

CoC, you're still hurting others. Stop posting in D&D threads, make an E/N thread if you want validation that much.

Please do this CoC, your train wreck of a life is entertaining.

• Locked thread