Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I was coming in here to see how terrible an idea a 2012 S4 with the stick would be. They stick that motor in alot of other things, how is the general car? Car has 17k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Any one have experience with the engine remaps on a 2013 GTI (2.0 TSI engine)? Only stuff I have remapped in the past were Nissans (Skylines, @40SX Pulsar GTiR etc...) and not had any experience with newer ECUs and maps.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Any one have experience with the engine remaps on a 2013 GTI (2.0 TSI engine)? Only stuff I have remapped in the past were Nissans (Skylines, @40SX Pulsar GTiR etc...) and not had any experience with newer ECUs and maps.

Basically people just get an APR tune (https://www.goapr.com) and it's done. I've also had a bunch of nissans and a RHD 98 Type-RA STI V-Ltd which I tuned with apexi power FC and can tell you that the APR stuff is super easy, relatively inexpensive, very reliable, and offers huge gains.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr-Spain posted:

I was coming in here to see how terrible an idea a 2012 S4 with the stick would be. They stick that motor in alot of other things, how is the general car? Car has 17k.

I'm no expert, but I had a 2010 S4 Prestige 6 speed I just traded in after about a year and a half. I owned it from about 45k through 58k and it still felt like new. I don't have first hand experience, but the consensus seems to be that the timing chain guide issue from the B7 S4 (with the V8) has been resolved. Of course, the chain is still on the back of the motor against the firewall.

The only mechanical issues I had were worn front upper control arm bushings around 50k, which are basically wear items every few years on these cars. Mine didn't have the active suspension, but that would make me a little nervous from a maintenance perspective as the mileage added up.

I liked it a whole lot and it was ridiculously quick, I just wanted something a little different. I wouldn't hesitate to own one under warranty. Get one with the sport differential if you can, I test drove two back to back and the sport diff is worth it.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Basically people just get an APR tune (https://www.goapr.com) and it's done. I've also had a bunch of nissans and a RHD 98 Type-RA STI V-Ltd which I tuned with apexi power FC and can tell you that the APR stuff is super easy, relatively inexpensive, very reliable, and offers huge gains.

Ah the Apexi Power FC, still used because people were too lazy to use anything else. Will look into that cheers.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Zamboni at work.. uses a 1.8T carburated water cooled VW engine. The other day it blew a plastic coolant fitting right by the air intake.. ran at 3000 RPM for a good 10 minutes and then stopped running. After a day or so it would start back up with a nice back-fire and sounded like something was not right mechanically. It was leaking coolant from the head gasket and there was a good pressure build up on the upper and lower radiator hoses. I am 90% sure it sucked up some coolant so I drained and inspected the oil with no alarming findings. I am going to have the oil tested.

Anyways.. I took the head off tonight and some other various bits to inspect for damage and this is what I found..

http://imgur.com/a/7f8jH

Orange-mustard everywhere.. the worrying thing to me is the mustard on the #1 piston. The head gasket seems to be in okay shape.. a little wear from where it was leaking but no obvious blow out. I am concerned about the crank bearings and don't quite know where to go next. Anyone have any input on anything here?

e: Take note of the little white particles on the head. I dunno what the hell that is.

Polish fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

the milk machine posted:

I'm no expert, but I had a 2010 S4 Prestige 6 speed I just traded in after about a year and a half. I owned it from about 45k through 58k and it still felt like new. I don't have first hand experience, but the consensus seems to be that the timing chain guide issue from the B7 S4 (with the V8) has been resolved. Of course, the chain is still on the back of the motor against the firewall.

The only mechanical issues I had were worn front upper control arm bushings around 50k, which are basically wear items every few years on these cars. Mine didn't have the active suspension, but that would make me a little nervous from a maintenance perspective as the mileage added up.

I liked it a whole lot and it was ridiculously quick, I just wanted something a little different. I wouldn't hesitate to own one under warranty. Get one with the sport differential if you can, I test drove two back to back and the sport diff is worth it.

Thanks much!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey VAG nerds, is there a resource like bmwfans, but for VAG, where I can look up parts and part numbers for my brother's 2012 Skoda Superb? He needs a new front headlight assembly, as a dove took it (and itself) out at 120 kph.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

bolind posted:

Hey VAG nerds, is there a resource like bmwfans, but for VAG, where I can look up parts and part numbers for my brother's 2012 Skoda Superb? He needs a new front headlight assembly, as a dove took it (and itself) out at 120 kph.

vagcat.com is the only online resource i know for VAG parts diagrams, but they don't go up that far. However, eBay has a number of dodgy copies of ETKA that will give you all that stuff. Dealers don't give out part numbers unless you know someone, but will send you parts diagrams if needed.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

bolind posted:

You could try http://www.rockauto.com/.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mr-Spain posted:

Thanks much!

I just traded my 2010 DCT Prestige in a couple months ago and echo everything he said. I had it for 3 years and 40k miles with no repairs and it was as solid the day I traded it as the day I picked it up. It was sneaky fast while being really mellow when I wanted it but it's easier the for the autos since the drive select settings make a big difference. The sport dif is awesome and feels really odd when you start pushing it in dynamic mode, almost like rear wheel steering with how it pushes around turns. The thing I miss the most is how the harder you push it, the faster and grippier the car feels to the point that you just know you won't get anywhere near the real capabilities without a lot of training on an actual track. Buy it and never look back.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

bolind posted:

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012/ will get you the diagrams and part numbers, but you'll have to search around Google or whatever to actually buy the stuff.

Edit:

halogen headlight assy is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94100-halogen-headlights/ and the HIDZZZZZ is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94120-halogen-twin-headlights-with-gas-discharge-bulb-individual-parts/

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Much thanks, all of you. Will look into it more when I'm back on an actual computer.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012/ will get you the diagrams and part numbers, but you'll have to search around Google or whatever to actually buy the stuff.

Edit:

halogen headlight assy is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94100-halogen-headlights/ and the HIDZZZZZ is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94120-halogen-twin-headlights-with-gas-discharge-bulb-individual-parts/

Thanks for the tip on partsbase.org!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What does the rest of the coolant look like? Because of it's nasty, that can explain what you found.

As far as rod bearing damage........I'd throw it back together and see what happens. If they are bad you're gonna need to pull the bottom end, not the top so whatever.

Do you have access to drop the pan on that thing without pulling the motor?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mr-Spain posted:

The 3.0T V6 we use in the S4 has been pretty bulletproof so far with the only issues I've seen being carbon on intake valves (not as bad as the 2.0T) and carbon in the secondary air injection ports (shouldn't have to worry about that until about 70k) and fuel injector seals popping and randomly causing a massive fuel leak (we just issued a recall for this and your car will be fixed if it is affected).

The Secondary air injection port issue has a warranty extension as well, I think it's covered until 100k now.

Other than these minor engine concerns, the B8 platform cars seem to go through wheel bearings. Not really any electrical issues have popped up at all yet.

Overall the 3.0T is a really good motor and I actually hate it the least of all the Audi motors. The B8 S4 is a nice car and you will probably like it.

Source: I'm an Audi tech and the B8 S4 is one of the only Audi's I would consider buying.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a 2013 S4 and I really like it. People were teasing me about all the electrical problems I was going to have but I haven't had a single issue with the car so far.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have a 2013 S4 and I really like it. People were teasing me about all the electrical problems I was going to have but I haven't had a single issue with the car so far.

I rarely see electrical issues with the B8s, even the B7s really don't have many electrical issues.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Motronic posted:

What does the rest of the coolant look like? Because of it's nasty, that can explain what you found.

As far as rod bearing damage........I'd throw it back together and see what happens. If they are bad you're gonna need to pull the bottom end, not the top so whatever.

Do you have access to drop the pan on that thing without pulling the motor?

I dropped the pan enough to get my hand in there yesterday. Would need to pull the motor to get the whole thing off. I found this sitting there.. already getting quotes for a new motor.

The coolant that was left was brown and burnt.. the reservoir has a bunch of sediment in it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It's dead Jim. Still impressive it didn't totally grenade itself when that bearing dropped out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Polish posted:

I dropped the pan enough to get my hand in there yesterday. Would need to pull the motor to get the whole thing off. I found this sitting there.. already getting quotes for a new motor.

The coolant that was left was brown and burnt.. the reservoir has a bunch of sediment in it.

Welp, that explains that.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Hi there,

I just bought my first new car- a 2015 Golf R and my friends are telling me to get the ECU done to boost it to 350hp/370tq, but I am nervous- what sort of drawbacks does that involve? Does it reduce the life of the engine? What are the risks for long-term use?

Thanks!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

If you take it to the dealer for any kind of service it'll get flagged. While this won't void your warranty dealers will be pretty quick to use it as an excuse to not do warranty work. The only way around it is to flash it back to stock each time before you take it in. Setting the tune to stock settings won't do it. Search some VW forums for TD1.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Ok perfect that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the reply- gonna keep it stock. It's not like it's slow.
;)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Defghanistan posted:

Hi there,

I just bought my first new car- a 2015 Golf R and my friends are telling me to get the ECU done to boost it to 350hp/370tq, but I am nervous- what sort of drawbacks does that involve? Does it reduce the life of the engine? What are the risks for long-term use?

Thanks!

Do you really need more power? Personally I usually wait until the car starts to get boring (or is out of warranty) before I start modding. Still waiting for the 16 R to be available, need my third pedal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Do you really need more power? Personally I usually wait until the car starts to get boring (or is out of warranty) before I start modding. Still waiting for the 16 R to be available, need my third pedal.

Not that this really helps with perceived power, but VW tends to underrate their power numbers as well so the new R is probably making a bit more power than the sticker says.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Not that this really helps with perceived power, but VW tends to underrate their power numbers as well so the new R is probably making a bit more power than the sticker says.

Apr tunes are pushing towards 375 at the crank I believe. But the early R's are also crapping out turbos fairly early, that's why I don't plan on voiding my warranty.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I wouldn't do that until after warranty because it just makes anything else that breaks and uphill struggle to get fixed. Even after the warranty is out don't go crazy unless you don't mind bills for blown turbos and what not.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Apr tunes are pushing towards 375 at the crank I believe. But the early R's are also crapping out turbos fairly early, that's why I don't plan on voiding my warranty.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

Blown turbos eh? Is this only with the new Rs?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My buddy drives a Passat (mk7, I believe) with a push start button. We needed to use the accessory power plug. It didn't have any power when the car was off, worked fine with the car running. We were wondering if there's a way to put the car in "ACC" where it would give power to the plug (and windows, etc) without actually starting the engine like in a car that you just start with a key.

We only needed it for like five minutes, so it wasn't a big deal, but just something he never thought of before and didn't have an answer.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

My buddy drives a Passat (mk7, I believe) with a push start button. We needed to use the accessory power plug. It didn't have any power when the car was off, worked fine with the car running. We were wondering if there's a way to put the car in "ACC" where it would give power to the plug (and windows, etc) without actually starting the engine like in a car that you just start with a key.

We only needed it for like five minutes, so it wasn't a big deal, but just something he never thought of before and didn't have an answer.

What happens if you push the button to start the car without first depressing the brake pedal? On my car (not a VW, granted) this will power the accessories without starting the engine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dislike button posted:

What happens if you push the button to start the car without first depressing the brake pedal? On my car (not a VW, granted) this will power the accessories without starting the engine.

Same. Mine will cycle through Acc and On without the engine running.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I dunno! I'll tell him when I see him later. Thanks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Uthor posted:

Most cars have one of the power plugs powered all the time, the cover will have a battery symbol on it to indicate this, I would be surprised if the Passat didn't.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

KakerMix posted:

Blown turbos eh? Is this only with the new Rs?

I think it has been an issue with all the turbo Gen 3 engines used in GLI, GTI, and Rs. Maybe others but you can read here:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

Some talk of different revisions of turbos so perhaps a fix has been implemented.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Dislike button posted:

This works on a MK6 GTI, and I don't think VW would change that behavior for the newer Passats.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Almost got this stupid valve off today, however I just could not get to one bolt

Its hidden behind that black coolant line underneath it. I was able to feel where the bolt was, but the line wasn't flexing enough to allow me to get a good angle with my ratchet. Hoping I don't have to drain the coolant and remove the line, but it'll probably be a few weeks until there's another decent day to attempt it again.

On the plus side, I can now remove the whole battery box and air box assembly in about five minutes, so the next time should go quicker.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently switched over to a new mechanic and I wanted some input to see if I got "hosed" or not. The people there seem nice and as far as pricing it seems pretty close to what I've paid before. I have a 2008 GTI and recently it hit ~55k, which from my understanding it should be an oil change. Apparently they did a 60k on it, which essentially is a full tune up. The last tune up on my car I believe was ~30k? I was charged $500ish bucks, which is supposedly normal for a European car. I paid $600 for this tune up (Said my break fluid was dirty as hell).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Without knowing the full extent of services rendered it'd be hard to tell. What does the invoice detail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Without knowing the full extent of services rendered it'd be hard to tell. What does the invoice detail?

Inspect axel assembly, battery, brakes and fluid, cooling system and coolant, lights, steering and suspension, ties, washer fluid and wipers.

Replace air filter, engine oil and filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs.

Perform brake flush and coolant flush.

Reset all reminders.

Includes all parts for the services above as well.