Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

God this movie rules.

It's so good that there's very little live posting, because that would distract from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ehhhh...I'm not really enjoying this.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Who was responsible for the animation of the oil paint scene? Jesus gently caress :stare:

e: i think its oil at least.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I had only seen Mind Game once before and man, this is definitely a film that rewards multiple viewings.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

btw does this always have a 2 minute or so sequence before it starts with random scenes from the film in it, or was that a weird thing the version i downloaded added

Yeah, its the great structure it has. It opens with a bunch of seeming nonsense which all end up occurring in the film, and ends with something similar from what is apparently a completely diffrent movie. Life is full of possibilities!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Masaaki Yuasa is the second best anime director of all time. I probably won't do a write up about this movie, considering it took me a while for a movie I didn't like, and it would be take a whole lot longer to write about how loving good Mind Game is. i may point out some of my favorite bits though

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thankfully my allergies didn't hit me until the credits, ugh.

As soon as nishi snatched the gun with his rear end cheeks and executed that guy I was hooked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Masaaki Yuasa is the second best anime director of all time. I probably won't do a write up about this movie, considering it took me a while for a movie I didn't like, and it would be take a whole lot longer to write about how loving good Mind Game is. i may point out some of my favorite bits though

A really good writeup of this movie would be insane, since so much can be said about all those individual segments.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's kinda like an anthology work in some ways, just with a consistent framing device.

I don't even know what my favorite segment is because it's so hard for me to choose. I love it all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One of my favorite moments though, is when Nishi thinks he's gonna do a kickass stunt and it will be awesome, and instead he does a kickass stunt and everyone in the car regrets it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mines the sex scene for sure, it's one of my favorite in all of film

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, its the great structure it has. It opens with a bunch of seeming nonsense which all end up occurring in the film, and ends with something similar from what is apparently a completely diffrent movie. Life is full of possibilities!

alternate possibilities, whole film was just a dream of what would have happened if glasses yakuza went to the bar with nishis second chance serving to illustrate to him tgat things could be different imo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

ehhhh...I'm not really enjoying this.

It's definitely not a movie for everyone, and I'd be really surprised if the folks responsible for it being greenlit didn't realize that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

One of my favorite moments though, is when Nishi thinks he's gonna do a kickass stunt and it will be awesome, and instead he does a kickass stunt and everyone in the car regrets it.

Lol. Watching it again, I noticed that when he starts talking back to the guy threatening him, he thought he hung up the phone already and is trying to show off to the girls, but he doesn't and instead just insults this psychopath to his face

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mines the sex scene for sure, it's one of my favorite in all of film

It's a real good way to show how passionate they're being.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lol. Watching it again, I noticed that when he starts talking back to the guy threatening him, he thought he hung up the phone already and is trying to show off to the girls, but he doesn't and instead just insults this psychopath to his face

Hahaha yes. It owns.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

So the moral of the story is that if a hot babe wants you to steal all your boss' drug money and gently caress off to kyoto together, the answer is always yes.
I can get behind that. :v:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice posted:

It's kinda like an anthology work in some ways, just with a consistent framing device.

I don't even know what my favorite segment is because it's so hard for me to choose. I love it all.

Yeah, I was struggling with it at first but when I managed to see it that way it made a lot more sense. I can see why some people would dislike it though, I was pretty close

That aside, I really enjoyed the animation and direction more than anything else. The sex scene was loving great, and I've just gone back and re-watched the discussion with god

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The discussion with God is my other favorite part. It's cool that's it's toying with the entire conceit of editing. Fundamentally every time you make a cut in a movie and jump to a different image, there's no reason for it to be connected or make any sense, but over like 100+ years people have figured out how to make editing into a language of its own, even though when film was first possible nobody ever edited anything because it was such a foreign concept. In Mind Game Masaaki kinda returns to that primitive idea and makes is so every time you cut back to God its a completely unrelated image, and it's a totally shocking effect to modern viewers. It's such a cool technique

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dotJPG posted:

Yeah, I was struggling with it at first but when I managed to see it that way it made a lot more sense. I can see why some people would dislike it though, I was pretty close

That aside, I really enjoyed the animation and direction more than anything else. The sex scene was loving great, and I've just gone back and re-watched the discussion with god

That's what I immediately did the first time I watched it. It's such an incredibly creative scene. It must have been hard work coming up with that many different designs and using that many different voices, but man did it pay off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I rewatched the 3D model of the buttcheeks clenching around the gun a few times because it's hilarious

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Side note: I'm real glad of ADTRW's current culture because people can be adults and say that a sex scene was handled well, instead of acting weird about it. Awhile back people would have used all sorts of vomiting emoticons because they'd be incredibly disgusted, and if they liked it they would have typed several thousand words with a million disclaimers and caveats and general hand-wringing about it.

It's good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Side note: I'm real glad of ADTRW's current culture because people can be adults and say that a sex scene was handled well, instead of acting weird about it. Awhile back people would have used all sorts of vomiting emoticons because they'd be incredibly disgusted, and if they liked it they would have typed several thousand words with a million disclaimers and caveats and general hand-wringing about it.

It's good.

It's incredible how much better this forum got in like two weeks after Zorak left haha

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I missed it. Oh no!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I missed it. Oh no!

You can watch it whenever. That's the beauty of the modern age

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I missed it. Oh no!

It's not too late, friend.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

re: rotoscoping earlier in the thread

Rotoscoping is basically just tracing stuff frame by frame. So although the faces weren't cell-shaded (like in Aku no Hana) and the traced lines were layered on top of the processed photo, it's still rotoscoping

There were lots of instances of photos being used but they varied in the way they were processed, it wouldn't surprise me if all of them were different. Some looked like it had been automatically done after keying, however some looked more hand-traced. A lot of them were animated at very low fps but some were closer to the surrounding animation.
To me, it almost seemed like the more detailed the photo, the bolder the tracing and jerkiness of movement, which is really surreal because it makes the animated sections truer to life and vice versa. that's what I thought anyway.

Rotoscoping gets a bad rap but it can be cool.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciate it for the animation but didn't find the story very compelling and thought Nishi was kind of repulsive both before and after his death experience, so that made it hard for me to stay interested at all. I think the part I liked best was revisiting the opening sequence at the end (and not just because it was finally over lol) and being able to see that it was a compilation of scenes from the lives of each character. There were moments that I liked (the part during the car chase when the driver's pet bird comes back to him comes to mind, and the mechanical buttcheeks clenching the gun made me laugh pretty hard) but overall I had to force myself not to close the window and tbh I was pretty in and out for the last 40 minutes or so. Guess I can at least check that box off on my anime fan credentials.

I had similar issues watching Tatami Galaxy, in that I did enjoy the animation and most of the supporting characters but the lead was a turd and that soured the experience of watching it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dotJPG posted:

re: rotoscoping earlier in the thread

Rotoscoping is basically just tracing stuff frame by frame. So although the faces weren't cell-shaded (like in Aku no Hana) and the traced lines were layered on top of the processed photo, it's still rotoscoping

There were lots of instances of photos being used but they varied in the way they were processed, it wouldn't surprise me if all of them were different. Some looked like it had been automatically done after keying, however some looked more hand-traced. A lot of them were animated at very low fps but some were closer to the surrounding animation.
To me, it almost seemed like the more detailed the photo, the bolder the tracing and jerkiness of movement, which is really surreal because it makes the animated sections truer to life and vice versa. that's what I thought anyway.

Rotoscoping gets a bad rap but it can be cool.

Something that I don't think most people realize is that 90% of the beauty of Kyoto Animation's productions come from rotoscoped backgrounds. The reason their locations look so good is that they actually film a majority of the spots, trace over the results with a painting style and then animate in their characters. It looks so good, and when they don't do it you can tell (some shots in early episodes of Sound! Euphonium are 100% original animation and they look awful). It's a very interesting production style, and it has the added bonus of making all of their shows having real places that fans can visit that will sell them branded merchandise

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

I'm still trying to find out who actually worked on that scene, but google is refusing to spit out the answers. :(
Just keyframes and direction so far. Really want to know how they actually made it work!

e: Will probably need to be able to read moonspeak to find out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jostiband posted:

I'm still trying to find out who actually worked on that scene, but google is refusing to spit out the answers. :(
Just keyframes and direction so far. Really want to know how they actually made it work!

Like production specifics? Good luck, that's the kind of details saved for special features on anniversary release blu Rays

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm not a wise man in very technical aspects, shun knowledge, and hide from the sun, and the light of human ingenuity

that's why i'll just talk about my feelings

i'm not sure there's a scene in the entire film you don't see nishi's nips. combined with his nature it gives him a naked, vulnerable aesthetic, and then perhaps a freed one. clothes protect and restrict, as anyone who's ever seen anime masterpiece of all time forever kill le kill will tell you

for me the most interesting thing about art in general is the ability to state something horrifyingly mundane, and then make you believe in it, and what's more make you want to come along for the ride. the idea that there are things that you can change, and things you can't, and god grant me the grace and etc is old as time. the film, never bothering to hide any of its themes in a way Yuuasa usually doesn't, tells you upfront 'your life is the result of your own decisions', but then thinks about it for a couple of hours

life is a thing that crashes into you, and you tread as best you can. some people will have a harder time of it, others won't, and you can't even cry out to god because god takes care of himself, and can maybe spare some pity; you take care of you

having not exhausted his catalog I can't say it certainly but everything by this director seems to have this push and pull between the things we are capable of, the things we are motivated to do, and the realities of our lives that prevent us from doing this, whether it's big tits and swimming or zero aptitude but insane motivation at ping pong

the reason i always find yuuasa's take on these pretty tried concepts interesting (and this is on top of the art, the editing, the pacing, the music all so vibrant and full of life that i don't really feel they need my words), is that he approaches the topic with a combination of unflinching bravery and above all compassion.

it's easy to make a sympathetic story about a loser. it's hard to look directly at their failures, hold the person responsible for them, maybe even never give them any sort of redemptive arc, but still love them.

but here is a director that loves failures and heroes at the same time; that understands that passion and motivation can sometimes yield incredible results, but also that sometimes you can give your very all and come up short, and maybe it's their fault and maybe it's not but at the end of the day it doesn't matter; it's life. ordinarily either of those concepts are big enough to fill a story concerning one protagonist on their own, but his worlds are full of nothing but them; celebrities, sales reps, ping pong masters and burnouts, college adventurers, aspiring and successful artists, and a man who lived in a whale for more than 30 years

i love him a lot and i love this movie

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 7, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tarranon posted:

I'm not a wise man in very technical aspects, shun knowledge, and hide from the sun, and the light of human ingenuity

that's why i'll just talk about my feelings

i'm not sure there's a scene in the entire film you don't see nishi's nips. combined with his nature it gives him a naked, vulnerable aesthetic, and then perhaps a freed one. clothes protect and restrict, as anyone who's ever seen anime masterpiece of all time forever kill le kill will tell you

for me the most interesting thing about art in general is the ability to state something horrifyingly mundane, and then make you believe in it, and what's more make you want to come along for the ride. the idea that there are things that you can change, and things you can't, and god grant me the grace and etc is old as time. the film, never bothering to hide any of its themes in a way Yuuasa usually doesn't, tells you upfront 'your life is the result of your own decisions', but then thinks about it for a couple of hours

life is a thing that crashes into you, and you tread as best you can. some people will have a harder time of it, others won't, and you can't even cry out to god because god takes care of himself, and can maybe spare some pity; you take care of you

having not exhausted his catalog I can't say it certainly but everything by this director seems to have this push and pull between the things we are capable of, the things we are motivated to do, and the realities of our lives that prevent us from doing this, whether it's big tits and swimming or zero aptitude but insane motivation at ping pong

the reason i always find yuuasa's take on these pretty tried concepts interesting (and this is on top of the art, the editing, the pacing, the music all so vibrant and full of life that i don't really feel they need my words), is that he approaches the topic with a combination of unflinching bravery and above all compassion.

it's easy to make a sympathetic story about a loser. it's hard to look directly at their failures, hold the person responsible for them, maybe even never give them any sort of redemptive arc, but still love them.

but here is a director that loves failures and heroes at the same time; that understands that passion and motivation can sometimes yield incredible results, but also that sometimes you can give your very all and come up short, and maybe it's their fault and maybe it's not but at the end of the day it doesn't matter; it's life. ordinarily either of those concepts are big enough to fill a story concerning one protagonist on their own, but his worlds are full of nothing but them; celebrities, sales reps, ping pong masters and burnouts, college adventurers, aspiring and successful artists, and a man who lived in a whale for more than 30 years

i love him a lot and i love this movie

Hell yeah!

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Like production specifics? Good luck, that's the kind of details saved for special features on anniversary release blu Rays

Yup! Guess I need to be hunting for those instead. Stuff look rather spiffy anyways.

Pity I'm broke as gently caress. :v:
Hell, I'd settle for a rough outline. Just want to know who deserves like 5 pay raises.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

To anybody who may have seen this for the first time and not seen any other Yuasa stuff, I highly recommend watching all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXqQNKByVg

he reuses the god technique for the Kaiba OP. Kaiba is my favorite work of his.

Also srice, another suggestion i thought of for the simulwatch is Angel's Egg, since its from another seminal anime director and its a standalone work that maybe not a lot of people have seen. ive probably mentioned it before though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jostiband posted:

Yup! Guess I need to be hunting for those instead. Stuff look rather spiffy anyways.

Hell, I'd settle for a rough outline. Just want to know who deserves like 5 pay raises.

that looks loving cool

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd be down for watching Angel's Egg because it's one I've always meant to watch and never got around to.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

To anybody who may have seen this for the first time and not seen any other Yuasa stuff, I highly recommend watching all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXqQNKByVg

he reuses the god technique for the Kaiba OP. Kaiba is my favorite work of his.

Also srice, another suggestion i thought of for the simulwatch is Angel's Egg, since its from another seminal anime director and its a standalone work that maybe not a lot of people have seen. ive probably mentioned it before though

Ooh, that's a good idea. I've always been meaning to watch it someday but it's one of the Oshii works I just haven't seen.

I wanted to fit a Dezaki film in somewhere too and in looking up those runtimes, at 71 minutes Angel's Egg is quite short for a movie, and the Aim For the Ace! movie is just 88 minutes...

I am thinking that for a finale to the simulwatch both of them could be done in the same day? Maybe have the start time be a bit earlier but all the same roughly 2.5 hours so that should be perfectly doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One of my favourite details is that the movie spells out its message in the first few scenes, before the title is even on screen. On the subway message, on the girl's cell phone and on the flower it says, in English, "Your life is what you make of it"
Nishi meeting God is the same. That's when the movie really starts to hit you with its message "GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS! SERIOUSLY WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE!? LOOK AT THIS loving CHUMP! HE GOT SHOT IN THE rear end AND HE'S STILL GOING! WHAT'S YOUR loving EXCUSE!?"
I get the feeling that this movie was supposed to be more for the American audiences, what with a singular God and the parable of Jonah and the whale.

Note that literally every single chase scene is the most life-affirming thing ever. Whether it's Nishi running away from God, Nishi and Co escaping the mobsters or their escape from the depths of the whale (that part where he steps off a water molecule always gets me).

The movie doesn't end because, like life, it has no end. Your life isn't ending (I hope :ohdear:) so why should the movie end? I think the idea was that you were supposed to either think of your own ending, or use the message of the film in your own life to continue the story.

This thing owns bones and it is a crime that it is not as popular as it should be.

Jostiband posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I need this!

• Locked thread