Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Splatzones is way way better than turf war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If it kept you with the same team, and it shuffled the overall groupings between matches, it wouldn't be as "gently caress you, here's the reject group" as it is right now

Also for the love of god this, if someone on your team sucks you're basically required to leave and re-enter to avoid getting shafted again.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I keep buying gear and then it gets the same upgrade twice so I have to toss it away until I hit level 20 and can re-roll them into something not lovely. So many cute outfits...lost to having things like double "your special gauge doesn't go down as much if you die" or "you can throw bombs imperceptibly farther"

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Fix posted:

A couple of those large balloons that pop and cover a large swath and then regrow could be kickin rad, as could some of the little cleaner robots. Or those sponges leading up to an upper area like those on the sea rig, where you could risk jumping out over empty space to climb up there, but you might have it shot out from under you.

Those baloons require one shot :shobon:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

zolthorg posted:

Those baloons require one shot :shobon:

The big white ones?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also for the love of god this, if someone on your team sucks you're basically required to leave and re-enter to avoid getting shafted again.

Why? There's a 4/7 chance they'll be on the other team compared to a 3/7 chance they'll be on your team. Those odds are favorable to you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh I'm sorry team was I not carrying you enough?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Lemming posted:

Why? There's a 4/7 chance they'll be on the other team compared to a 3/7 chance they'll be on your team. Those odds are favorable to you.

Not when it's 2 of them that are good and 2 of them that are dead weight (which is the usual case)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Question: I know it's been determined that some gear has a much, much higher chance of getting certain upgrades on it, hence why you can often get 2-3 of the same one pretty easily. Does this apply to rerolls too? I'm curious because I just got my first couple sea sails and used them on a shirt, but I seem to be getting a totally random array of abilities instead of the weighted ones from before. Am I unlucky, or do rerolls remove ability weighting entirely?

Lemming posted:

The game doesn't reroll a team if nobody leaves, and you can't leave without disconnecting by the time you know if everyone stayed.

Like, yes, if it rerolled every single time (which it should do), you'd be right, but it currently doesn't do that.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 7, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Question: I know it's been determined that some gear has a much, much higher chance of getting certain upgrades on it, hence why you can often get 2-3 of the same one pretty easily. Does this apply to rerolls too? I'm curious because I just got my first couple sea sails and used them on a shirt, but I seem to be getting a totally random array of abilities instead of the weighted ones from before. Am I unlucky, or do rerolls remove ability weighting entirely?

The game doesn't reroll a team if nobody leaves, and you can't leave without disconnecting by the time you know if everyone stayed.

Like, yes, if it rerolled every single time (which it should do), you'd be right, but it currently doesn't do that.

At least one person leaves the vast majority of the time.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Infinitum posted:

Out of curioisty, why do you use the normal roller? Is it the grenades or the Killer Wail?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im so awful with the charger it took me three tries to beat the octoling mission with the charger amiibo challenge. Such a bad gun.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I played a match so laggy that my ink wouldn't show up for several seconds, and I kept dying for now apparent reason.

On ranked.

We meet yet again, C+. :negative:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Worst Girl posted:

I played a match so laggy that my ink wouldn't show up for several seconds, and I kept dying for now apparent reason.

On ranked.

We meet yet again, C+. :negative:

There's a chance everyone else is lagging too so you could've rushed the base and prayed to stay connected for the rest of the match

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Once I hit B- I am retiring.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Poultron posted:

Out of curioisty, why do you use the normal roller? Is it the grenades or the Killer Wail?

No no no.

That is a hero roller.

Because I have to stay fresh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So now that I somewhat consistently get 800ish in turf war with the ink brush I'm declaring it officially very good

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Splat Zones owns because there's incentive for the enemy team to not paint over every single inch of your ink so you can do clever things without them inevitably painting over your sneaky routes simply because there's a more pressing matter to attend to, and you can also plan around them going to those important places. Splat Zones is much more thoughtful than Turf War, which is just who can shoot more of the floor than the other team. It owns and I'm excited for more game modes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Opening gambit most likely doesn't effect your speed with the inkbrush. Run speed doesn't affect rollers, and opening gambit sounds like it's just a large run speed/swim speed boost.

Most inkbrushers with some practice under their belts don't actually spend the first few seconds of the match laying ink down at all. They literally rush ahead using improved run speed and opening gambit to get into ambush position, then they put down ink and hide, or use it to recharge sprinklers they toss around. I've had inkbrushers on the opposite team ambush me in the middle of putting down ink in my team's side of the map at the start of the match, it's kind of nuts.

The only time they actually use the brush like a roller is to carve a path through of some enemy ink to get themselves out of a jam or after a hit-and-run.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Run speed doesn't affect rollers?

I mean, that makes sense, but I haven't really messed around with it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Infinitum posted:

No no no.

That is a hero roller.

Because I have to stay fresh.

But the Hero Roller uses the same loadout as the normal one, doesn't it?

Fix posted:

Run speed doesn't affect rollers?

Not while you are deployed, no.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Poultron posted:

But the Hero Roller uses the same loadout as the normal one, doesn't it?

Yes but you need to kill the final boss with a roller to unlock this one. Any chump can unlock a Krak-on, but a Hero Roller is the rarest freshest look this season. It's fashion darling, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Real talk - I'm not a half bad player in general, so either roller is fine by me (Just ask #splagoons) That said the standard roller is exceptionally good for Splat Zones. Bombs will provide area denial as well as securing a respectable area of most zones. Killer Wail is superb for lane denial and dividing the playing field. The reason I got 21 kills? The map was Port Mackeral and everyone keeps running back the same way and I was getting 2-3 kills a pop. After that I knew that any stragglers would be in the other lane. Ninja squid ambush all day. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can :krakken: up and kill some guys, but Splat Zones is about zone control and the standard roller is a better option.

Just a pain in the arse the rest of my team were useless.

:negative:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In short, Marie's advice is true: "Winning is temporary, but looking cool is forever." Keep this in mind at all times when deciding what gear to use.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I actually have the Hero Roller (what's up gudbuddy :smug::hf::smug:) but I just feel like I can't give up the Better Bubbler and the Beacons.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm just the boss fight away from the hero roller and I'm getting mighty cross with that guy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want that Carbon Roller

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

In short, Marie's advice is true: "Winning is temporary, but looking cool is forever." Keep this in mind at all times when deciding what gear to use.

Not true. Judd won't be proud of you, no matter how fresh you look, if you aren't a winner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Really enjoying the brush now that I've figured it out more. Consistently able to score well and have loads of fun doing it. Its a really cool weapon and I hope they add more unique ones like it. Also I picked out an outfit that makes me look like as much of a slimy hipster as possible while using it.

I don't think the enemy team can see me spamming BOOYAH over their corpse though :(

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's only 180,000 to make your 1 star cool gear set fully slotted, and another 120,000 leeway for re-rolling bad sets.
What I mean to say is that I'm furious. 3400 a knockout is too slow for this.

Look good, or at least die trying.
I no longer care about money which is cool I gues.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Really enjoying the brush now that I've figured it out more. Consistently able to score well and have loads of fun doing it. Its a really cool weapon and I hope they add more unique ones like it. Also I picked out an outfit that makes me look like as much of a slimy hipster as possible while using it.

I don't think the enemy team can see me spamming BOOYAH over their corpse though :(

Literally using the same outfit. Except my glasses give tenacity

Ink brush is the twichiest weapon in the game. It owns.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Holy poo poo, this is my look too.
Have we confirmed the best set of gear?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Infinitum posted:

Same.

Was givin' a squad of Japs what for and won the first match 24-6 or so and proceeded to lose the next two rounds. The first loss was fun though in that we had a teammate DC at the start when they were showing off sides and we still took them to overtime. :patriot:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

lmao good job bowser jr

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Splatoon reminds me a lot of Battlefield 1942. In both games there is no communication among players, therefore any teamwork that occurs is a happy accident. And you can never, ever assume that your teammates will do something useful, no matter how strategic or valuable or obvious, because everyone is an idiot.

Instead of making me angry, though, it puts a big grin on my face when that accidental teamwork comes together.

Basically what I'm saying is this is a strategy guide for Splatoon.

All they need to do is add a map ping and "I'm on it" and "No can do" to the left/right on the D-pad and it will have enough communication for most purposes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Gorp posted:

Holy poo poo, this is my look too.
Have we confirmed the best set of gear?

You need the Red Hi-Top Shoes. Three-Star Inkstep :smug:.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
lol you paintbrush heathens

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
But the slugs can be given full slots?
Why bother with any other shoes when slugs natural ability is ink resist?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

noirstronaut posted:

lol you paintbrush heathens

Its okay if you can't handle our fresh skill :smug:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bad news Judd actually lies about the winner most of the time.

Honestly kinda bummed to find out that he actually does play favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
http://i.imgur.com/4wZqzFb.webm
More skill tests. Again, it seems sub skills are mostly negligible and you can wear whatever you want and it's not that big of a deal.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bad news Judd actually lies about the winner most of the time.

Honestly kinda bummed to find out that he actually does play favorites.

:thejoke: only in cases of a tie not most of the time :thejoke:

• Locked thread