Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Motto posted:

Because they're fun video games?

We'll have to agree to disagree about that for most of the catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Docahedron posted:

A lot of people don't seem to know this. Otherwise, why would people be as obsessed as they are over the Megaman series?

You're posting in a mega man megathread

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tallgeese posted:

He stole the design of the original Mega Man from his mentor

Nope.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay fine, "stole" might be too strong a word. The point being he didn't design him, and he has stated as much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NTT posted:

Legally the answer will probably be physical media. Have you tried the usual digital subscription outlets or something like PlayAsia?

Apparently due to a combination of being just plain bad and being in the time before digital subscription Stream has basically nothing

E: and DVDs are 97$ for 3 episodes, lmao no

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
whether megaman is original or not the point is that megaman is cool and mighty number 9 is lame

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tallgeese posted:

Okay fine, "stole" might be too strong a word. The point being he didn't design him, and he has stated as much.

"Openly admitting he didn't design MM and crediting the person who did" is the exact opposite of "stole".

Like, why do people feel the need to try and rewrite peoples' histories just because they did something they didn't like? This poo poo happens all the time - people did it to Yoshio Sakamoto after Other M, they do it to Eiji Aonuma whenever a new Zelda comes out that isn't what they want, they did it to IGA when they were getting sick of his games, etc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Because nobody can be behind Videogames I Dislike besides massive mustache-twirling assholes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Openly admitting he didn't design MM and crediting the person who did" is the exact opposite of "stole".

I'm personally inclined to disagree when it takes no less than twenty years between the events to do so. Shades of gray and all that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You are a disgrace to the name Tallgeese.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

God forbid anyone have a negative view of not attributing credit where it is due in a timely manner.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

You are a disgrace to the name Tallgeese.

I dunno isn't that like the worst Gundam to begin with?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, it is the best because it is explicitly not one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, it is the best because it is explicitly not one.

Gundam Wing was kinda a poo poo show and much like Denny's, people only consumed it because they had no other alternatives at the time and did not know better.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gundam Wing was kinda a poo poo show and much like Denny's, people only consumed it because they had no other alternatives at the time and did not know better.

Exactly. It was one of the few redeeming points in a pile of poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Tallgeese posted:

Exactly. It was one of the few redeeming points in a pile of poo poo.

Gundam Wing and Megaman share a lot in common then

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gundam Wing and Megaman share a lot in common then

I cannot disagree, and even said as much in an earlier post!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

God forbid anyone have a negative view of not attributing credit where it is due in a timely manner.

Has Inafune ever claimed he was project lead on the first two games?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

We'll have to agree to disagree about that for most of the catalog.

Wait so do you actually care about Mega Man or do you just want to tell us all why Inafune is Actually Hitler And Also Smells Bad?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Motto posted:

That is not really relevant, and I'm not sure why you are belaboring the point when I have already said that it is a matter of my personal opinion.

Put as simply as possible, if someone were to attribute something positive to me that I really did not do, and I did not correct this for a long time while having knowledge of such, then I do not think it would be unfair for someone to have a dim view of me for not correcting it earlier.

---

ElegantFugue posted:

Wait so do you actually care about Mega Man or do you just want to tell us all why Inafune is Actually Hitler And Also Smells Bad?

I only like X and Legends (X6 is underrated), and I haven't played ZX. Thus my statement was accurate.

Though I do have a soft spot for Power Fighters, now that I think about it. I think this makes me the most hipster of Mega Man fans.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 7, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Put as simply as possible, if someone were to attribute something positive to me that I really did not do, and I did not correct this for a long time while having knowledge of such, then I do not think it would be unfair for someone to have a dim view of me for not correcting it earlier.

Personally I wouldn't be very concerned about people in message boards and bad jobs across the ocean saying incorrect things about me in a language I don't speak.

e:

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 7, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Motto posted:

Personally I wouldn't be very concerned about people on message boards and bad jobs across the ocean saying incorrect things about me in a language I don't speak.

I'm not sure where white Western devils fit into this, since the speech in question occurred at TGS and did not particularly reference them.

You are not very good at discussing things in a coherent fashion.

---

This reminds me, I have to play X6 again. It's actually not bad at all when you take the horrendous dev time into account.

And yes I am including Blaze Heatnix's stage in that assessment.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 7, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I considered the japanese perspective irrelevant as there are a number of quotes from Inafune in the Complete Works books and such from when he was still at Capcom where he often references his roles on the games before he became series producer.

It's only after people got real mad about MN9 that people started claiming that he stole credit for the series anyway. I always thought it was common knowledge that he was just an illustrator and such before becoming series producer.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 7, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tallgeese posted:

(X6 is underrated)

You just lost all credibility as a Mega Man fan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Inafune is not the sole and primary creator of MM" is not news and wasn't back when he did the interview for the anniversary book or whatever, it wasn't a secret or anything. Nowadays, people are better informed about the history of these games thanks to the increased capacity for direct communication with these old devs and the abundance of freely available media from the old days, but people were openly talking about the MM thing way back when, including Inafune and Akira Kitamura, the "real" creator of MM who quit after a couple games.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Screw you, Gate was awesome and the translation was hilarious.

Please go hide yourself while you repair yourself.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Wait, is Tallgeese like some sort of posh Taint Reaper knockoff or something? Have I been off-brand Taint Reaped? I'm confused.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you consider me posh, I think it is fair to say that the word has lost all meaning.

As an aside, X6, among its other virtues, had by far the best Z-Saber animations on Zero.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Motto posted:

This is the person that refers to himself as InafKING unironically. I'm sure he'll take the credit for it regardless

quote:

"Inafune is not the sole and primary creator of MM" is not news and wasn't back when he did the interview for the anniversary book or whatever, it wasn't a secret or anything.

Yet he gets all the credit, and Kitamura is just referred to as "mentor" and not mentioned by name. I certainly didn't know what his name was

I have original art drawn by Inafune, with his signature. When I finally burn it I'll be sure to record the action and post it to this thread

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

and Akira Kitamura, the "real" creator of MM who quit after a couple games.

After 2, in fact. Inafune has said that the new leader that replaced their "eternal leader" for 3 "resulted in some headaches", which is probably part of the reason for his negative statements about MM3 that have confused some fans for years since the game is well-liked.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

As an aside, X6, among its other virtues, had by far the best Z-Saber animations on Zero.

Just piling on more wrong opinions.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Docahedron posted:

This is the person that refers to himself as InafKING unironically. I'm sure he'll take the credit for it regardless

Yet he gets all the credit, and Kitamura is just referred to as "mentor" and not mentioned by name. I certainly didn't know what his name was

I have original art drawn by Inafune, with his signature. When I finally burn it I'll be sure to record the action and post it to this thread
...? Did Inafune kill someone or something? Why are both of you so indescribably furious at this old guy making video games? :psyduck:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think you're projecting emotions somewhat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

Wait, is Tallgeese like some sort of posh Taint Reaper knockoff or something? Have I been off-brand Taint Reaped? I'm confused.

Worse: he's completely serious. He's the first person I ever put on ignore with his awful self-fellating posting. Go skim the Dark Souls 1/2 threads and search his posts for a laugh.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's true; people twisting themselves into Gordian knots because I help people in a cooperative video game that is supposed to be DEADLY SERIOUS is indeed good for a laugh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Docahedron posted:

A lot of people don't seem to know this. Otherwise, why would people be as obsessed as they are over the Megaman series?
Because it doesn't matter very much.

No one cares about if Megaman is ripped off of Astro Boy or Casshan or some other thing when the games are fun. Even less when they're not.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 7, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
X6 is awful in my opinion. But then again I have found enjoyment out of x7 after you unlock x and even beat it. So yeah, I have terrible opinions too. Also I used to love Gundam Wing but I can't stand it now.

Also Inafune has made quite a few bone headed decisions. While I can see where he was coming from by trying to appeal to people through Western developers, the results were less than stellar

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 7, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
He posts here because the Halo thread needed a MickRaider equivalent to compete for 'least funny poster in games'

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Like, why do people feel the need to try and rewrite peoples' histories just because they did something they didn't like? This poo poo happens all the time - people did it to Yoshio Sakamoto after Other M, they do it to Eiji Aonuma whenever a new Zelda comes out that isn't what they want, they did it to IGA when they were getting sick of his games, etc.
I could be wrong but I think it's because the internet is teeming with budding politicians learning to control narratives.

What a loving great time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

blackguy32 posted:

X6 is awful in my opinion. But then again I have found enjoyment out of x7 after you unlock x and even beat it.

X is the only good part of X7. And that's only because his charged shot is so massive and hilarious. The sheer lack of effort they put into his armor though, holy hell. How do you go from the X5/X6 armors to that total travesty?

Red is absolutely the most annoying fight in that game though. Truly terrible.