Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

RIP R'lyeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought caps didn't have any new hidden magical sites!

A bit of balance coming:

quote:

2015-06-05 18:01:27 +0200
National underwater PD takes precedence for local UW PD
Faster battle deployement for huge skirmish armies
Murdering Winter less effective vs commanders
Murdering Winter cost 50 -> 40
Flames from the Sky cost 35 -> 30
Thetis Blessing research level 9 -> 7
Therodos got proper names
Music can now start with a rare tune
Sirens are cheaper to recruit when Lure of the Deep is up
Looming Hell slightly harder to defend against
Vengeful Water less effective and cost 50 -> 70
More ability modifiers printed
Shambler base cost 25 -> 20
Cannot try to send more than 32 messages
Friendly Currents didn't affect encumbrance proerly
Soul Leech and Consume Soul cannot be repelled
Stat fixes
More UW nation and god changes
Stat changes for some underwater armors

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The do not but they can generate via event.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, new turn in my mp game, cool!

Oh FFS. I confused Winds of Death with Wailing Winds. Both are Death Evo spells with wind in the name, but they are very much different.

:(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

finally a nerf to vengeful waters, i guess

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Thank god, having all those temples and priests on standby to push back dominion full of murdering elementals is really loving expensive. There's nothing quite like that feeling you get when you notice you can't recruit in half your forts anymore because elementals keep jumping out of water barrels to murder your mages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

They actually stealth nerfed it last patch so the ones you get in areas without a source of water (rivers, coast, ocean) are size3 sooo I'm not quite sure if a further nerf is necessary but w/e.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What spells go "through" mistform and which ones don't and do the minimum amount of damage? *drat Fog Warriors*

Blade Wind? I know this one only does a lot of damage-1 to units.
Shadow Bolt?
Magma Eruption?
Earthquake?
Rain of Stones?
Maws of Earth?
Fireball?
Cold Bolt?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

What spells go "through" mistform and which ones don't and do the minimum amount of damage? *drat Fog Warriors*

Blade Wind? I know this one only does a lot of damage-1 to units.
Shadow Bolt?
Magma Eruption?
Earthquake?
Rain of Stones?
Maws of Earth?
Fireball?
Cold Bolt?

Most of the earth spells don't because they're physical damage. You still have to hit mistform once with magic damage to break it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Most of the earth spells don't because they're physical damage. You still have to hit mistform once with magic damage to break it.

Yeah that's my problem. Maybe I should cast the first two rounds Blade Wind and then follow with Magma Eruption / Maws of the Earth.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah that's my problem. Maybe I should cast the first two rounds Blade Wind and then follow with Magma Eruption / Maws of the Earth.

Blade wind isn't going to do much against mistform except fatigue your mages.

Better to cast Weapons of Sharpness

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Lord Koth posted:

In what is truly a :master: in coding by TRILLWINTER, I present the following thing that has just happened in babby_pool.

Wow. That's really horrible. I almost feel bad about fighting you now. (Almost.)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kind of hosed up that you don't want your guys to train with King Kai.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Illwinter posted:

2015-06-08 17:11:48 +0200
New MA Pelagia units
Non-commander communion possible
Theurg Communicant -> not commander
Theurg Communicant rec-limit 1
Theurg Communicant cost 35 -> 50
Has Illwinter finally lost it?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ILLWINTER SMILES ON US

e:

Decrepus posted:

Could Arch Theurgs onebattlesummon 2 communicants every battle?

Flame112 posted:

I think you can only summon units not commanders, so the autocommunion thing doesn't work.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

MA pythium just went from "this nation is kind of mediocre and not very impressive" to "hooooly poo poo"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

I think he should make a new tag for special commanders, like the opposite of StR. FtR, fast to recruit:. You can recruit 2 of them in a month (both have to be FtR).

Right now they are using a workaround: converting it into a normal unit but limiting the monthly recruitment to just 1.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Having them as a unit is way easier though because it's a lot less micro to have a squad of communicants and put them all in a line at the back of the battlefield.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's a strange change tbh. Pythium already had access to cheap comm slaves in the form of acolytes, that also had the benefit of being useful for research when not in use. What this effectively does is give each fort two comm slaves per turn. There are a number of other astral nations that could use this change more.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
balancewise that's true, but the communicants only existed in the first place because pythium is supposed to be the #1 communion nation

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i have a brain problem so i did a bunch of tests on shields. here are some things i learned:

shields don't do anything against trample or aoe attacks. these are both kind of common knowledge but i've seen people say otherwise
shields work by subtracting their protection value from the incoming attack's damage value, no drn involved. this means that shields ignore both the hard cap on protection and the hosed up diminishing-returns system protection has. this is true for both melee and ranged attacks
shield protection is reduced by AP and AN damage, but not by pierce damage. this means that shields are much better against crossbows than you might think
weapon procs like flaming arrows, flambeau fire, etc. are never reduced by shield protection. a shield block can stop effects that only trigger when damage is dealt, of course

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I kinda think that making communicants foreign-recruit only would be a more interesting change, what with unforted temples being much more vulnerable to raiding.

Astral Travel with an Arch Theurg and 16+ communicants sounds fun though! Cloud Trapeze some Harbingers for support & arrow-catching, give the Arch Theurg and a Harbinger a crystal matrix & gems, and you have a turn-1 Master Enslave attempt and Fog Warriors on those that were enslaved, on any random enemy deathball in range :getin:

Fake edit : Master Enslave costs 8 drat pearls... :eng99: I suppose you could do a T1 Solar Brilliance or Arcane Domination (but more boosters are needed for that), but only really if they're fielding loads of undead/demons/magic beings. I guess you can get up to S8 with 3 boosters and a second Arch Theurg to cast Light of the Northern Star, but that's considerably more expensive.

Or maybe you could spam Nifel Flames or Flame Storm... Or you could spam Shimmering Fields with your Harbingers, but that has shorter range so might not work.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FnF posted:

I kinda think that making communicants foreign-recruit only would be a more interesting change, what with unforted temples being much more vulnerable to raiding.

Astral Travel with an Arch Theurg and 16+ communicants sounds fun though! Cloud Trapeze some Harbingers for support & arrow-catching, give the Arch Theurg and a Harbinger a crystal matrix & gems, and you have a turn-1 Master Enslave attempt and Fog Warriors on those that were enslaved, on any random enemy deathball in range :getin:

Fake edit : Master Enslave costs 8 drat pearls... :eng99: I suppose you could do a T1 Solar Brilliance or Arcane Domination (but more boosters are needed for that), but only really if they're fielding loads of undead/demons/magic beings. I guess you can get up to S8 with 3 boosters and a second Arch Theurg to cast Light of the Northern Star, but that's considerably more expensive.

Or maybe you could spam Nifel Flames or Flame Storm... Or you could spam Shimmering Fields with your Harbingers, but that has shorter range so might not work.

By the time you have thau9 you could just apply 32 or 64 communicants if required. Pythium can easily forge a +5 pen set with rune smasher, spell focus, eye of the void. Apply a banner of the northern star on a random guy or add another theurg before him to cast it. Equip a crystal shield if possible. If you could do either an S4 with 16 slaves could turn 1 master enslave at +6 pen. Can have the communion peace out with returning after the enslave or ritual of returning if you want to take the army with you. Just need one idiot to stand around to provide leadership for your stolen army while they turn on their friends so keeping the communion and the bossmans pile o' items around isn't a necessary risk.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

By the time you have thau9 you could just apply 32 or 64 communicants if required.

Yep. People has to understand that with the new changes, you are going to have A LOT of communicants from mid game onwards. 1 per castle per turn, always, as they don't interfere with normal unit or commander recruitment.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I thought you needed the mage's raw paths (after regular boosts but before communion boosts) to be at least as high as the number of gems it wants to use for a spell? Master Enslave needs 8 pearls, which needs a mage with S8 before communion, right?

I know for a fact that a plain A1S1 mage w/ 4 comm. slaves (for a +2 boost to take it to A3S3) can't cast Storm, because it needs to spend 2 air gems (one for the spell, one to boost its level to A4) but only has A1 before the communion boost.

Have I misunderstood something?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

FnF posted:

(after regular boosts but before communion boosts)

Have I misunderstood something?

Yes. An S1 mage with 128 communion slaves (+7 pathboost) can cast master enslave.

FnF posted:

I know for a fact that a plain A1S1 mage w/ 4 comm. slaves (for a +2 boost to take it to A3S3) can't cast Storm, because it needs to spend 2 air gems (one for the spell, one to boost its level to A4) but only has A1 before the communion boost.

This should be absolutely possible.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I present to you, Kitfox88's draft PD:

code:
kitfox:
---Commander: Khan
---Fort Commander: Attendant of the Oracles
---Troops: Illithid Soldier (4:10), Large Scorpion (200:10)
---Fort Troops: Spire Horn Warrior (40:10)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
[...] a plain A1S1 mage w/ 4 comm. slaves (for a +2 boost to take it to A3S3) with 2 air gems can't cast Storm [...]

ChickenWing posted:

This should be absolutely possible.

Not when I tried it just now, no.

OK, some more test results (using Pythium mages & communicants if that matters) :

1) A1S1 mage w/ 4 slaves and 2 gems fails to cast Storm
2) A2S1 mage w/ 2 slaves and 2 gems will cast Storm
3) S1 mage w/ 2 slaves and 2 pearls will fail to cast Battle Fortune (needs S3 & 1 pearl)
4) S1 mage w/ 4 slaves and 2 pearls will cast Light of the Northern Star (needs S3 & 2 pearls)

So it looks as though a communion master can spend extra gems to boost its path strength, providing that it still has enough gem-spending-ability (== its paths before communion boost) to spend the gems needed by the actual spell. If the communion master doesn't need gems to boost its path strength, then it's fine and the spell should succeed.

Hooray for consistency! *sigh*

I'm glad that the Arch Theurg + communicants Astral Travel train is back up off the buffers though, should be entertaining if it gets going.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
dominions four isnt good

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

fool_of_sound posted:

I present to you, Kitfox88's draft PD:

code:
kitfox:
---Commander: Khan
---Fort Commander: Attendant of the Oracles
---Troops: Illithid Soldier (4:10), Large Scorpion (200:10)
---Fort Troops: Spire Horn Warrior (40:10)

What are those ratios meaning? 4 illithid soldiers per ten gold?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

What are those ratios meaning? 4 illithid soldiers per ten gold?

Troops per 10pd.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
cross posting this

Maerlande posted:

I would like to try to organize another cross forum disciple game to get a chance to meet folks from around and about. I propose the following format.

4 Teams: One per forum home.
One captain per team.
Each captain can create the team as he/she prefers. I will be inviting friends from Dom4mods.
I prefer not too large. So 4 teams of 3 or 4 teams of 4. That's 12 or 16 players.
If there is more interest I would be willing to change it to two teams per game and more games I will administer.

Map: To be determined
Game settings: TBD
Mods: I think best to stick with base game with so many different groups.

And so one. I hope we can get a /v/anheim team, maybe a something awful team and not sure who else can build a team of 4. Please sign up with interest and list your favourite forum home. State if you want to be a captain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Troops per 10pd.

That's a lot of scorpions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Samog posted:

cross posting this

yo i'll do it if someone else is the captain

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Samog posted:

cross posting this

That sounds fun, I too would be in. I'm too stupid to be captain.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Samog posted:

cross posting this

Link to the actual thread for convenience.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Samog posted:

cross posting this

thedemon, nuclearmonkee, hatwer, ilu dream team go

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ChickenWing posted:

thedemon, nuclearmonkee, hatwer, ilu dream team go

samog has like a 50% win rate. samog is the dream team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of SA players, who of you is Mu?

He says he plays in Mu plays on somethingawful.

• Locked thread