Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nimby posted:

Well Furnace just roasted a bunch of people in there. Would it make him a valid target for Moonshadow?

Well at least they're not legal immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I believe Google translate is telling me they're saying something like, "We cannot leave, the cartel will go after our families if we disappear." That about right?

Any chance this was a trap?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Brought To You By posted:

How do you sneak up on someone and only shoot them in the shin?
author contrivances

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So this is obviously going to lead to Moonshadow hunting down Furnace and Allison protecting him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Based on the two times we've seen him get shot, it looks as though Furnace can't control his flames when he's hurt in addition to being a quick-tempered maniac.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thrawn527 posted:

I believe Google translate is telling me they're saying something like, "We cannot leave, the cartel will go after our families if we disappear." That about right?

Any chance this was a trap?

My guess is Furnace just blundered into the situation without really understanding what was going on.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

How do you sneak up on someone and only shoot them in the shin?

You take an unfired round out and throw it at him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Furnace is going to get murdered and Allison will be blamed is the other option.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Based on the two times we've seen him get shot, it looks as though Furnace can't control his flames when he's hurt in addition to being a quick-tempered maniac.

Maybe this is how his powers have evolved and he's no longer just projecting fire from his hands and feet anymore. Maybe he's turning into a full on human torch without the "flame on/off" control.

Atmus posted:

You take an unfired round out and throw it at him.
I noticed that too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not even Americans know how bullets work #ayylmao

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also,

Jackard posted:

Dude's been doing this for years, gotta assume he's at least competent.
goddamnit

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
Ugh, that's dumb. Dude sneaks up with an automatic weapon and fires one bullet that scrapes his knee. How is Furnace not dead?

I was really hyped for this chapter initially but it's killing my interest in the comic, it's just been such a drag. I guess they might justify it if there's a reason the human traffickers wanted to capture or cripple firedude.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hallgerd posted:

Ugh, that's dumb. Dude sneaks up with an automatic weapon and fires one bullet that scrapes his knee. How is Furnace not dead?

I was really hyped for this chapter initially but it's killing my interest in the comic, it's just been such a drag. I guess they might justify it if there's a reason the human traffickers wanted to capture or cripple firedude.

Should've been a pissed off burned guy with a handgun, that would've made a lot more sense than leg shooter.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hallgerd posted:

Maybe he is dead. A superhero being killed, exploding as a result and causing large amounts of death and destruction has been used at least once before in comics.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As bad as this sequence is for reasons that have been already stated, there is a kernel of a good idea here: Furnace is incompetent at worst, and a liability at best, but what can you do with him? Let him go? Even in the best of circumstances, he still may involuntarily fry a bunch of people because he stubbed his toe on a rock. How do you solve a problem like that?

That, along with other things, shows that the system is breaking in real time (a little too real time if you ask me, hurr :v:)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Furnace. He died as he lived: written stupid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with this comic is that it got too big, too quickly. The success went to the head of the writer(s?), they don't have an editor to rein them in, and so they're writing the story they think is really awesome and brave, but it's gotten bloated and slow and cumbersome and there's so much poo poo intertwining, it feels like a full-length novel by itself, but it's poorly paced and riddled with shortcut scenes to explain character motivation.

Just like so many webcomics, they really could do with doing it all ahead of time, then editing it, or getting it edited professionally.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It reminds me of when I bought the uncut version of The Stand and fully gained appreciation for what editors do.

Mostly it's removing 900 pages of the author disappearing up his own arse.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Should've been a pissed off burned guy with a handgun, that would've made a lot more sense than leg shooter.

To be fair, the shooter is burned up. But yeah, the burns should have been much worse, and he should have had a pistol, and furnace should have been grazed in the arm or off the face or something. The way they did it was pretty dumb.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It reminds me of when I bought the uncut version of The Stand and fully gained appreciation for what editors do.

Mostly it's removing 900 pages of the author disappearing up his own arse.

Wait, there's a version of The Stand where this doesn't happen?!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Let me sum up everything so far , rape and misogyny are bad. There.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Falstaff posted:

To be fair, the shooter is burned up. But yeah, the burns should have been much worse, and he should have had a pistol, and furnace should have been grazed in the arm or off the face or something. The way they did it was pretty dumb.

He could have just seen the guy about to shoot out of the corner of his eye and flamed on in reflex. Maybe they felt that would be too unambiguous.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 6, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm kind of disappointed in this, I thought that Furnace doing an act of unequivocal good would give the comic some character: you could sort of see into his world where there is really easily defined good and evil and understand why he is the way he is. Having him just be a moron is a hell of a lot more boring. I felt the same way about Miles (the kid that Allison kept from date raping that girl at the party) turning out to have a history of sexual assault: having the guy have a history of doing this instead of doing a dumb hosed up thing because he doesn't see the problem with it sort of robbed the whole event of its weight, I felt. I sort of gave it a pass though since I saw it as looking into how pervasive this poo poo is and how it's under most peoples' radar. I don't know, I feel like it would be better to have good people do bad things because of a fault in society than have people just be bad to the core given the themes of the story. As it stands it's sort of without nuance.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Wait, you're asking for nuance about rape? Rape isn't a bad thing that otherwise good people do. I mean, I can see your point about Furnace, kind of, but you wanted Miles to be given some nuance? :psyduck:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Falstaff posted:

Wait, you're asking for nuance about rape? Rape isn't a bad thing that otherwise good people do. I mean, I can see your point about Furnace, kind of, but you wanted Miles to be given some nuance? :psyduck:

The point is that he wanted Miles to think (like many people in this world actually do) that it isn't rape as long as she doesn't say no, even if she's so drunk she can't actually say no, to show how hosed up a way of thinking that is. Instead Miles is a scumbag who knows full well what he's doing is wrong and doesn't care.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Falstaff posted:

I think the point Hallgerd is making is... kinda similar to the issue with showing only moustache-twirlingly-evil people be racist. It robs the event of its impact because instead of it being "this is an evil that anyone is capable of", it becomes "oh, don't worry, only cartoonishly evil people actually rape/are racist.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

The point is that he wanted Miles to think (like many people in this world actually do) that it isn't rape as long as she doesn't say no, even if she's so drunk she can't actually say no, to show how hosed up a way of thinking that is.

I'm not sure I'd call that nuance, exactly, but fair point.

quote:

Instead Miles is a scumbag who knows full well what he's doing is wrong and doesn't care.

I don't think that's confirmed. We honestly don't know whether Miles justified it in his mind, or if he was internally Rapey McRapemonster - which, fair point, could maybe have been established. But then we'd be looking at an even longer chapter, which I'm getting the impression is the number one criticism of the comic around these parts.

(Don't get me wrong, it's a fair criticism, just not one I share quite as strongly.)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

The point is that he wanted Miles to think (like many people in this world actually do) that it isn't rape as long as she doesn't say no, even if she's so drunk she can't actually say no, to show how hosed up a way of thinking that is. Instead Miles is a scumbag who knows full well what he's doing is wrong and doesn't care.

Yeah, pretty much. Like I said though I think that the way they went about it wasn't bad at all, given the point they made (what does a rapist look like?), it's just that it seemed to be the other way before and I think it worked a bit better is all. The theme of the series is that people might be basically good but hosed up societal stuff can foster some real evil, and Miles have a history of sexual assault sort of implies that he would have been doing this stuff no matter what. Same with Furnace, where him being an rear end in a top hat would (I feel) work better if he just had a severe case of the Just-World way of thinking and having a very simple way of seeing the world in contrast to Allison which leads to him sort of perpetuating societal ills, instead of deciding "I guess I should do some hero poo poo, what do heroes do? Stopping human trafficking I guess, I should do that." I was hoping that Furnace was doing this stuff for the sake of doing good instead of for the sake of being a hero because I thought it might give a bit of texture to a character that really, really needed it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ManlyGrunting posted:

As it stands it's sort of without nuance.
I don't know, I find that "men are bad, unless they have cancer or a bat's head" is pretty nuanced.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know, I find that "men are bad, unless they have cancer or a bat's head" is pretty nuanced.
Well, there's also...

Uh...

The teleporting fashion designer guy?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cat Mattress posted:

What if they have both?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, there's also...

Uh...

The teleporting fashion designer guy?

Alison's firefighting buddies are decent folk

Also her hacker friend whose name escapes me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Everyone has to be comically evil is a problem with it. It can't just be Furnace being a MRA rear end in a top hat, he also has to regularly murder innocent bystanders.

If it was just Furnace flying up saving some people, then coming back with " Yeah well gently caress you I'm out saving women every day", but he was also just a MRA rear end in a top hat it'd be different, but no he's just a dick head who murders people and shouts misogynistic poo poo off.

It's just like the judge who got murdered, he couldn't just also be a misogynist he has to be comically evil.

Etc.. etc..

The people she goes up against or who expound ideas have to also be completely immoral.

It's just lovely, the only thing that Allison doesn't realize is that she doesn't have the realization that she's not a human being and her saying " It's my responsibility to save the world and make the world a better place" comes from her just fundamentally believing she's better than every one and not realizing her own abilities make her different.

Basically she's still the young girl on the soccer field who get's pissed off at other players for not being as good as she is because she funadmentally can't understand she's literally a ubermensch.

She's a unaware Patrick.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hollismason posted:

If it was just Furnace flying up saving some people, then coming back with " Yeah well gently caress you I'm out saving women every day", but he was also just a MRA rear end in a top hat it'd be different

This is exactly what I'd like to be seeing, too.

Give Allison, "It's all well and good you decided to be a civilian and :airquote:find a better way:airquote: but I saved 50 women from being sent to a rape brothel today. What have you done?"

Make her actually justify her choices with something more nuanced than every person who even remotely stands in her way also being cartoonishly evil.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well it's even worse than we thought.... not only is he totally wrong forever but he was barging into someone else's "Important" stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is approaching self-parody.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah this actually would have been better written if he HAD just killed a bunch of innocent people because for gently caress's sake what are the odds.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah this kinda kills what little faith I still had in the writing quality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess the best way to make an invincible protagonist sympathetic is to make every other character a babbling idiot. Take note, future superman writers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep. Officially checking out. Maybe I'll remember this comic at some point in the future when the author has found her talent again.

But I doubt it. So long, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yep. Officially checking out. Maybe I'll remember this comic at some point in the future when the author has found her talent again.

But I doubt it. So long, thread!

the author is a dude

• Locked thread