Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Avalerion posted:

I'm not really getting the Triss tricked you thing and I replayed the 1st and 2nd game recently. She also seems like a genuinely better person, trying to do the right thing and help others, Yen only cares about Ciri, herself, and Geralt, in that order. Also seconding the above about Yen just coming off as mean.

And amnesia is a perfectly valid excuse, which she should know as she apparently experienced the same thing and never bothered to contact Geralt until she needed him either.

If CD project wanted you to pick her over Triss they should have included her sooner, I feel they also failed to actually show why Geralt might care about her rather than just telling you he does.

If you've read the books it really paints Triss in an unflattering light considering the events in the first two games. She basically was hopelessly in love with Geralt and even at one point says to him something like 'I wish I could of met you before Yen so that you would love me' and then in the first two witcher games she gets exactly that chance. And she takes it. She manipulates you and withholds information so that you'll fall for her. Then it all falls apart when you get your memory back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
what do i do if I sold my starting armour?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

what do i do if I sold my starting armour?

The upgrade you get from it is bad anyway. You won't miss it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't she literally a rapist murderer? I mean I know "by the standards of Witcher" but I'm fairly sure she's still a pretty genuinely awful person who is only nice to Geralt because she has a thing for him.

Considering Geralt and Yen's "love" is the result of a genie wish I'm not sure that's better though. Same with what Yen did to him on their first meeting.

And all that is still just taking the books into account, if you go by what's in the games only Yen really gets the shorter stick.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Considering Geralt and Yen's "love" is the result of a genie wish I'm not sure that's better though. Same with what Yen did to him on their first meeting.

And all that is still just taking the books into account, if you go by what's in the games only Yen really gets the shorter stick.

It certainly isn't better, but that doesn't make Triss not kind of a poo poo. (And you're not the one who said this but "he sleeps around a lot so it's okay she took advantage of him" is really hosed up as an argument in her favor.)

I mean it's The Witcher so pretty much everyone is an awful person. Triss is slightly less awful in the larger scale but pretty awful on a personal scale, at least with the books taken into account.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 7, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ImpAtom posted:

Triss is slightly less awful in the larger scale

Being a fully paid up member of the Lodge means she really isn't, though. If I have one major disappointment it's that I never got a chance to vivisect Philippa, I cannot think of a single person in the setting who deserves it more. Maybe the Crones.

I didn't find Yen to be as bitchy as other people seem to have. Alright, so, she's clearly sitting atop fifteen miles of aristocratic hauteur and unwilling to unbend for anyone, but that's not quite the same thing and besides there's plenty of "aw, they really do love each other :3:" moments.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah who would date a stubborn, sulky, taciturn woman?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah who would date a stubborn, sulky, taciturn woman?

Who looks like a model?
Imagine a queue going around the world.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Junior goes bro don't kill me bro I was just defending myself! as if I'm also supposed to just ignore the other 5 corpses in his room and the one out in the hallway.

I kill monsters of all shapes and sizes that's how it is fucker.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I like how Junior goes bro don't kill me bro I was just defending myself! as if I'm also supposed to just ignore the other 5 corpses in his room and the one out in the hallway.

I kill monsters of all shapes and sizes that's how it is fucker.
I was kind of weirded out with Geralt's reaction:"I'll kill you for hurting Ciri, but I won't even mention the bunch of dead hookers, who were tortured to death" Maybe the scene with Junior was changed after the VA for Geralt had his lines recorded?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was kind of weirded out with Geralt's reaction:"I'll kill you for hurting Ciri, but I won't even mention the bunch of dead hookers, who were tortured to death" Maybe the scene with Junior was changed after the VA for Geralt had his lines recorded?

Yeah I found that kinda weird myself. My guess is that they were there mostly so you'd think "holy poo poo, this could have happened to Ciri!" but at the same time, poo poo's hosed up by itself without any connection. Geralt does have a history of blocking out literally everything in the pursuit of saving his daughter though, so it's not out of character for him.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Avalerion posted:

If we are Going By book cannon, no one knows what the wish actually was. Even the author doesnt know. If we are Going by game cannon then yennifer still loves him without the genie wish. So your point doesn't really hold water.

All in all. The entire tally for books and games(off the top of my head) is:

yennifer is a dick who insults everyone.
Is willing to do whatever it takes to protect ciri. Including torture of a ghost and putting lives at risk. And risking almost certain death to save geralt and ciri. And does so over and over throughout the series.
Genuinely loves geralt without magic binding them.
Cheats on geralt.
Raises cirilla as a foster mother.
Is prepared to suicide pact with geralt given no other options.

Triss rapes geralt with hypnosis.
Attempts to kidnap ciri from her foster family she loves.
Aids in the plot to sell ciri as a sexual broodmare to further philippas political agenda
Does nothing to help yennifer when she is a prisoner of the lodge.
Intends to lie to ciri about yennifer, likely causing her psychological trauma so that she Will be "easier to control"
Leaves geralt to die.
Leaves geralt to die (again) and ciri as well. Only changes her mind because of yennifer.
Tricks geralt into thinking shes yennifer in order to start a relationship with him when he gets amnesia.
Informs on geralt to the lodge.
Is willing to risk her life to save mages in novigrad.
Is willing to risk her life to help ciri fight the wild hunt.

I get that triss has clearly matured over the video games but there's only so much you can ignore.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Er what? To me it seemed clear he gave that dude the beat down of his life because ofa ll the dead bodies everywhere. He seemed pretty disgusted by it when you first get in there and see what he's done.

I'd love a Life is Strange choice percentage thing to see how many people actually let Junior go instead of killing him. I can't imagine it's very high

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Er what? To me it seemed clear he gave that dude the beat down of his life because ofa ll the dead bodies everywhere. He seemed pretty disgusted by it when you first get in there and see what he's done.

I'd love a Life is Strange choice percentage thing to see how many people actually let Junior go instead of killing him. I can't imagine it's very high

No way man, before the decision Geralt says "you hurt this woman and tortured her friend", then when you do it he says "she's like a daughter to me, that's why I just can't let this go".
Yeah sure he called him a sick gently caress upon entering the room for the first time but he doesn't mention it afterwards.

E: vvv People who dislike Yen just can't handle the banter. Probably still mad at that Trial of Taxidermy comment.
And I sided with Dijkstra because I wanted to see more of his dialog.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Another thing in Yennefer's favor is at the end of the book series, where she dies trying to save Geralt after he takes a pitchfork to the gut using a spell she knows will kill her. Triss just stands there and watches. This is after she runs away from a fight and is guilted into coming back.

If you're tallying everything, even just stuff from the games, Yennefer comes out way ahead so far as "actually caring about Geralt or Ciri" goes. Though she's only in one of the games, to be fair, so Triss has more opportunities to gently caress up. Yen kinda sucks in The Sword of Destiny (she and Geralt read like a couple of teenagers in that book), but after that she vindicates herself over and over. As to her cheating on Geralt, I guess they really were made for one another because he does the same thing to her and then lies about it. The books do mention that they're an on again, off again relationship but it's still pretty hosed up on both sides. I think the game does a good job of capturing both characters and displaying their priorities accurately. For Yennefer it's her family and for Triss it's politics and a nebulous greater good.

Macaluso posted:

About as high as the number of people that sided with Djikstra in Reason of State

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I forgot to ask because I'm afraid of the answer, but does this game pull a Fallout 3 and just end after you beat it? I'd like to solve the main quest line, but if the game will abruptly end before I get a chance to go back and do all the ?'s I don't want it.

I let Whoreson go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It continues and you can do side quests or explore or whatever

Obviously some stuff locks off (story related side quests mostly)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Once the game's done it loads you back in Kaer Morhen and let you explore in a world state unaffected by your big choices. Which is probably the best solution, considering how mad people got at New Vegas and Fallout 3 and how hard it is for post-ending gameplay worlds to be affected by your decisions in a meaningful way (especially hard in TW3 because there shouldn't be any post-ending gameplay at all).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How long can Geralt's beard get?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

poptart_fairy posted:

How long can Geralt's beard get?

Not long enough :mad:

I've never shaved it aside from the forced shave at the beginning. It never gets all that long

Yen will ask why you decided to grow it out though during a quest of hers though!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anybody run into a new glitch where you can't make multiple alchemical items? It will only let me make one at a time and I have to use it in order to make more.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, that's unfortunate. :(

He looks grizzled and dirty - like an especially metro sexual pirate if wearing the cat gear - with it and so weird without.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I take it that for players who aren't familiar with the books, Triss comes off like Betty to Yen's Veronica, but for people who are it's the other way around.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

E: vvv People who dislike Yen just can't handle the banter. Probably still mad at that Trial of Taxidermy comment.

Actually I love her banter, and I like her as a character, just wouldn't pick her.

Either way seems like the devs really dropped the ball on this one though, like none of the stuff mentioned above comes through in the games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Their character and who they are as people is conveyed perfectly. Their entire life story isn't explained to you though, same as with people like Djikstra or Ciri who were very important in the books but never showed up in the games before. I don't think that's a bad thing. You could read their character page in the journal to get a cliff notes version.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I take it that for players who aren't familiar with the books, Triss comes off like Betty to Yen's Veronica, but for people who are it's the other way around.

I think players that have gone through all of the games should know that Yennefer is at the forefront, and people that have only played this one have no reason to believe Triss is anything but a side character. The whole opening flashback at Kaer Morhen is with Yennefer, and she's the one you spend the most time with through the game. But players that came from the prequels never met Yennefer until Wild Hunt, whereas Triss was in both of the preceding titles.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Burns posted:

Where the hell are all the nekker warriors at? Ive only seen a few at a cave in velen and a quest in skrellige and i need their hearts.

Go find yourself a nekker nest, blow it up, loot the nekker heart, cancel looting, take 5 steps back, loot again.
Repeat as needed. Just make sure you leave at least one item in the nest.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm at an absolute loving loss on how to "explore the passage under temple isle" on the cat school gear hunt. I've spend like two hours trying to get to this loving dot on the map and I think I'm starting to lose my mind. People even tried to tell me how to get there the other day but I can't find it for the life of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88cwE1oxpDg

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I let Whoreson go.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I let Morvag go free.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I let Bush do 9/11.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I thought that being able to turn candles on and off was really cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is but not when it takes precedence over loot containers. Then it's just frustrating.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I let Whoreson go.
So did I. Figured it wasn't my place to kill him, idiosyncratic choice of interior decoration or no. I already beat the poo poo out of him and got what I needed. Besides, he gets his.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I thought that being able to turn candles on and off was really cool.
I actually love traipsing through a dungeon and lighting the sconces and torches as I go.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
So I just got to the [Lateish game spoiler]Isle of Mists, it says if I carry on some side quests will be unavailable - I've completed every quest there is and yet I'm only level 26, is the game pretty much over now?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

So did I. Figured it wasn't my place to kill him, idiosyncratic choice of interior decoration or no. I already beat the poo poo out of him and got what I needed. Besides, he gets his.

I actually love traipsing through a dungeon and lighting the sconces and torches as I go.

But killing him is the lesser evil!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

So I just got to the [Lateish game spoiler]Isle of Mists, it says if I carry on some side quests will be unavailable - I've completed every quest there is and yet I'm only level 26, is the game pretty much over now?

You're in act 2 of 3 and there's a fair amount still to go, but you are more than halfway through by now. From your level it seems like you did a lot of side quests so you'll probably fly through the rest a lot faster since there's nowhere near as many side quests post level 20 compared to before then.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Novigrad Dreaming question: What happens if I choose the soceresses as the last thing to tell Corrine? Do I get a quit other than Broken Flowers.

Count Reuven's Treasure question: Does it matter how long I keep up the deception? It feels like the only thing I got from not murdering the witch hunters the moment they opened the gate is a lot of redundant "yup, these guys are still assholes" characterization dialogue for them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Heliosicle posted:

The only sidequests that become unavailable are those concerning allies for the upcoming battle at Kaer Morhan.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

It's really subtle. You have to give him a chance to explain himself when you confront him at Crippled Kate's while he's torturing Nettie, rather than accusing him at any point. Basically, just don't choose the first conversation option at any point. If you do that, he points you to the real killer. You can still kill him for being a piece of poo poo, too.

omfg i was so sure it was him, for the first time im considering replaying this monstrosity of a game

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dongattack posted:

omfg i was so sure it was him, for the first time im considering replaying this monstrosity of a game

ALWAYS talk to people before straight-up killing them. I don't think the other victims got stabbed with a hot poker and he had no formaldehyde either.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone tell me where the gwent card is supposed to be in the Baron's office? Which room am I supposed to be in? Haven't been able to find an actual guide apart from "it's in the Baron's office" for the life of me. There's two rooms that might fit that description and I can't find it in either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GrossMurpel posted:

ALWAYS talk to people before straight-up killing them. I don't think the other victims got stabbed with a hot poker and he had no formaldehyde either.

The fact that the previous murder had a letter pointing to where the next victim would be was incredibly suspect, like why would the killer write down the loving address? He never did it before and it's incredibly dumb and pointless.