Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game. So are XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. They revolve around a group of flat characters with dumb names. The first game is a straight line for the first 70%. The second game lets you visit all the characters you hated the first time in different eras while adding Pokemon-features to supplement the same paradigm battle system. The third game's biggest selling point is dressing the emotionally boring Lightning wearing more and more revealing clothing while solving problems for the same idiots from the first game before devolving into a cliche by the final battle where the developers just figured they'd do the same thing Final Fantasy's been doing since Legend: fight *God*.

Saying that the ending is so crazy that it's good sounds like desperately trying to justify the time spent with the title, like making it to a wacky ending where the background swirls and the star quotes Nietzsche made the previous 40 hours worthwhile. If you want waifu dressup game I can understand why FFXIII is a 10/10 game for you, but please stop confusing people who have never played it by suggesting that it's not trash and that they shouldn't look everywhere else first.

The Persona games are good games, especially 4 Golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Davincie posted:

talking about games that play themselves: the ai for your allies in persona 3, especially junpei en mitsuru is infuriating. yukari and akihito at least have the common sense to cast the right spells. those two however stubbornly refuse to stunlock the enemy group or even attempt to heal the enemy.

Isn't there a battle tactic that's just "Knock Down"? As for Mitsuru, if you want to avoid Marin Karin, keep her on Full Assault I think?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the gameplay is good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The party AI is ultimately what made me go with P3P for my first play. I don't know who in the design process thought it was a good idea to have AI teammates in an RPG with a huge variety of skills/affinities and a "if the hero dies it's over" mechanic. I can't even think of a justification for it, it's not a technical limitation and it has no thematic connection to the story so what the gently caress?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Before Persona 3 got popular practically every SMT game hated your guts and wanted you to die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

The party AI is ultimately what made me go with P3P for my first play. I don't know who in the design process thought it was a good idea to have AI teammates in an RPG with a huge variety of skills/affinities and a "if the hero dies it's over" mechanic.

My guess is they wanted to make it about you interacting with them as full characters rather than mere party members to command. They'll also do stuff like buy improvements to their own gear if you send them off searching dungeon floors and they find money. Not to mention having to talk to them individually to swap their gear for new equipment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess is they wanted to make it about you interacting with them as full characters rather than mere party members to command. They'll also do stuff like buy improvements to their own gear if you send them off searching dungeon floors and they find money. Not to mention having to talk to them individually to swap their gear for new equipment.
I can totally see what they were gong for, but it doesn't really make it enjoyable to deal with. It's one of those things that's an awesome idea until you actually put it in the player's hands and they get frustrated by their party members doing stupid poo poo that gets them killed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

I can totally see what they were gong for, but it doesn't really make it enjoyable to deal with. It's one of those things that's an awesome idea until you actually put it in the player's hands and they get frustrated by their party members doing stupid poo poo that gets them killed.

Hey I never said it was a good idea :v:. I really think they should do a Persona 3 Golden to combine to best bits of both FES and Portable. (Ie; lose the crappy visual novel cutscene replacements and keep the extra content).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game. So are XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. They revolve around a group of flat characters with dumb names. The first game is a straight line for the first 70%. The second game lets you visit all the characters you hated the first time in different eras while adding Pokemon-features to supplement the same paradigm battle system. The third game's biggest selling point is dressing the emotionally boring Lightning wearing more and more revealing clothing while solving problems for the same idiots from the first game before devolving into a cliche by the final battle where the developers just figured they'd do the same thing Final Fantasy's been doing since Legend: fight *God*.

Saying that the ending is so crazy that it's good sounds like desperately trying to justify the time spent with the title, like making it to a wacky ending where the background swirls and the star quotes Nietzsche made the previous 40 hours worthwhile. If you want waifu dressup game I can understand why FFXIII is a 10/10 game for you, but please stop confusing people who have never played it by suggesting that it's not trash and that they shouldn't look everywhere else first.

Straight lines are cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally, the part I like the least in FFXIII is the bigass open world part.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i dont' get why people have such a stick up their rear end about world maps. they can be cool but so often they're just filler

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Woah, I can wander around these identical mountains and fight dinosaurs for two hours! GAMES ARE ART!

of course ff13' s level design didn't really take advantage of the fact that they were focusing solely on dungeons, it was still pretty boring, but there's nothing wrong with the concept of excising a world map and towns

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm surprised by just how many people want "immersion". I really don't mind navigating menus rather than running all over towns to talk to stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

personally i dont' get why people have such a stick up their rear end about world maps. they can be cool but so often they're just filler

Because there is poo poo to find on your own and actually explore instead of just selecting from a list? :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hell in the same post that condemns a "straight line", Persona 3 & 4 are praised and those games are good examples of why you don't lose anything in most cases by removing world maps and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Hell in the same post that condemns a "straight line", Persona 3 & 4 are praised and those games are good examples of why you don't lose anything in most cases by removing world maps and stuff.

You're only spending time at a few regular locations around a town though, its not a grand adventure around the world.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're only spending time at a few regular locations around a town though, its not a grand adventure around the world.

Yeah though I feel the principle can work in those cases too.

Of course there are plenty of examples where a world map works out to the game's advantage, but there are also plenty of games where it feels like it exists because that's what everyone else does.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And then there's Wild Arms where the world map exists to torture the player.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think one of the more recent examples that comes to my mind is Bravely Default. There's not really anything interesting to discover on the world map and it usually serves as a waste of time as you keep going from one place to the next, and I imagine a lot of people would make liberal use of the option to turn off random encounters while doing so.

Like dang, I love that game but the sidequest to fight Praline is some insanely bad design and if they didn't have a world map it would just be a mildly inconvenient 5 minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because there is poo poo to find on your own and actually explore instead of just selecting from a list? :shrug:
there's nothing to loving find in most games though

there's like one bonus area that you'll never find unless you look at a guide and every other location is just told to you in story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone really poo poo themselves in excitement when they found that random chocobo area in FF4?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Do not troll in this sacred thread.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fire Emblem If introduces a castle that you can walk around in and that's a lot more appealing than the Base from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, which was just a menu.

I guess that's pretty different though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the illusion that is afforded with a world map that you on some globe trotting adventure. Whether there is anything particularly interesting to see or do in them isn't really as important to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

The combat in lightning returns is good and fun, unlike persona which just has a tedious turnbased fight system like every other jrpg. I assume you haven't played it because the things you are saying are retarded.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I really love persona 3 which is about a tower that literally only has one tileset and seducing underage girls

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I really love persona 3 which is about a tower that literally only has one tileset and seducing underage girls

It has like five different colorations of said tileset, are you even trying dude? Come on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Don't underestimate the "immersion!" factor. The AI was what made me decide to play P3P but my mouth was drooling looking up FES videos because I want to run around the maps so drat much. I went into P3 after P4 and losing out on the maps, even if there's nothing to do but talk to someone with an ! above their head, was sorely missed.

Bland, featureless maps gotta go. I loving hated Tales of Destiny's map(s) but Tales of the Abyss did a few neat things at times like rescuing a downed pilot in a desert maze. Dragon Quest 8's world map is practically a dungeon in its design but Final Fantasy 8 is about the blandest the series has ever gotten.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for Persona 5 to come out, then for us to love it for a couple months, then for the first "actually..." posts to start and then we'll relentlessly poo poo on it for the rest of our days

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

yeah, it is really lame that lightning returns makes you fight god at the end

which is why persona owns??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it ok to resent Lightning Returns for basically hijacking Valkyrie Profile?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

It's not like there was ever going to be a valkyrie profile 4. I'm happy that tri-ace got to make one at least in mechanics, if not in plot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HGH posted:

I don't think another VP game has been in the cards anyways.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Can everyone stop posting their opinions in this thread? It's just that they're all so bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

I can't wait for Persona 5 to come out, then for us to love it for a couple months, then for the first "actually..." posts to start and then we'll relentlessly poo poo on it for the rest of our days

i still love persona 4; the trolls won't win

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

Can everyone stop posting their opinions in this thread? It's just that they're all so bad.

someday people will have the correct opinions; my opinions. until then, I have no choice but to post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

someday people will have the correct opinions; my opinions. until then, I have no choice but to post.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm playing FF7 at the moment and the world map is cool. There's cool stuff on it. I didn't need a guide to find the cool stuff, I just explored it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

Every RPG is the worst game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I'm playing FF7 at the moment and the world map is cool. There's cool stuff on it. I didn't need a guide to find the cool stuff, I just explored it
knights of the round