Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Where's anyone have that fake political cartoon of the guy screaming at Hitler, while Hitler sits there calmly and goes "wow all I want to do is kill all the jews and you won't let me, looks like you need to do some growing up pal" because this entire thing is an unironic version of that.

Reasonable Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'd pledge a hundred dollars if they made that the cover picture.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was stoked for this game, you guys have no idea
The idea of adding dragons and Medusa and kraken to the nWoD's bestiary sounded so good to me
And now, look at this.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

tatankatonk posted:

I guess that the gleeful, willing malice of the Beasts is what makes them so unpalatable. It's sad that their souls are, from birth, trying to drag them back into being monsters. It's intolerable that they be allowed to exist once that happens, though. There's nobody except the book who can make Beasts sound like things that need to live for the world to be a good place.

Is it me or does this segment suggest Beasts aren't actually people who've ~finally accepted their inner sociopath~ or whatever but people who're straight up soul-devoured and possessed by primeval nightmare monsters, who in the process swallowed all their memories too and now falsely think they're the original, while still being a horrific nightmare monster that just now has skin and calls itself Pete?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

spectralent posted:

Is it me or does this segment suggest Beasts aren't actually people who've ~finally accepted their inner sociopath~ or whatever but people who're straight up soul-devoured and possessed by primeval nightmare monsters, who in the process swallowed all their memories too and now falsely think they're the original, while still being a horrific nightmare monster that just now has skin and calls itself Pete?

Yup. At this point I'd have to disagree with the person who said Beasts would get on with Seers and the Pure - that's the wrong category of antagonists. Beasts are more like the Strix, the Maeljin, or Abyssal intruders - terrifying entities that exist only to degrade and devour and whose very existence is a blight on the world. They even do creepy things like devour children's/teenager's souls to wear them as a person suit, put the mind-whammy on supernaturals to make them their best buds, and look ravenously on as the supernatural indulges in their vices.

Hell, you know where we've heard the "you and I are kin" speech in the nWoD before? It's what the Strix say to vampires.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Flavivirus posted:

Yup. At this point I'd have to disagree with the person who said Beasts would get on with Seers and the Pure - that's the wrong category of antagonists. Beasts are more like the Strix, the Maeljin, or Abyssal intruders - terrifying entities that exist only to degrade and devour and whose very existence is a blight on the world. They even do creepy things like devour children's/teenager's souls to wear them as a person suit, put the mind-whammy on supernaturals to make them their best buds, and look ravenously on as the supernatural indulges in their vices.

Hell, you know where we've heard the "you and I are kin" speech in the nWoD before? It's what the Strix say to vampires.

Exactly what I was thinking after I thought about it some.

Also the thing about heroes losing their hero-ness after getting integrity up combined with the fact beasts get satiety from killing them is making me think of a former hero who's like a beast's disinterested ex. "And now my nemesis for our final showdown." "Oh, yeah, uh, actually I've kind of moved on from that." "What?" "Sorry, I got a job and I just don't have time to play around anymore."

Also also the thing about heroes not being from integrity 4 people who were exposed to the supernatural is still dumb, because it's also entirely possible to be integrity 4 from mundane things that traumatise you. So, text is suggesting that war veterans, abuse survivors, people who were involved in protracted horrific situations like kidnappings or long-term natural disasters, etc have weak souls and are self centred. But then this is also the game that mocks the concept of triggers, so I shouldn't be surprised.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flavivirus posted:

Yup. At this point I'd have to disagree with the person who said Beasts would get on with Seers and the Pure - that's the wrong category of antagonists. Beasts are more like the Strix, the Maeljin, or Abyssal intruders - terrifying entities that exist only to degrade and devour and whose very existence is a blight on the world.

Don't forget the True Fae! Seriously, reading about the Beasts and the poo poo they put people through is reminding me more of the True Fae than even the Changeling books.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's a Sergei Lukianenko short story about a drifter in a post-apocalyptic world who comes to a town being terrorized by a gang of "vampires". He kills all but one of them, and heads off on a train into the sunset without taking payment, taking the one survivor with him. The guy wakes up and screams at him about how they were just playing, and he says, "Yeah, I know. But real vampires don't like little shits like you."

In this analogy, Beasts are the posers, and every other supernatural line are the real monsters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So what happens if CPP doesn't want to be attached to a game focused on being a hateful douchebag? Do all the nWoD serial numbers get filed off and it still goes out the door as a stand-alone?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

moths posted:

So what happens if CPP doesn't want to be attached to a game focused on being a hateful douchebag? Do all the nWoD serial numbers get filed off and it still goes out the door as a stand-alone?

OPP? I don't think they can, the problem with beasts is that they're heavily entwined with every world of darkness gameline. They'd need to jettison everything except the mechanics (which are good) and start from scratch.

CCP? I doubt they even know what the hell is going on with the World of Darkness license these days.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kurieg posted:

OPP? I don't think they can, the problem with beasts is that they're heavily entwined with every world of darkness gameline. They'd need to jettison everything except the mechanics (which are good) and start from scratch.

CCP? I doubt they even know what the hell is going on with the World of Darkness license these days.

Technically every nWoD (and Exalted and oWoD) product needs CCP approval to go ahead, though I'm not sure how in-depth that is. I doubt they care very much so long as it's not going to get them sued or anything.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I seriously want to take up a collection and professionally pay a person to run Beast simultaneously with every Vampire LARP, pickup, or convention game I'm in from here on out. The giant sucking sound as the players who only want to play superhero monster bully-beaters rush to Beast and away from a more nuanced political game will be music to my ears.

And is that it? Is it all a joke? Is this the Players bloodline from Requiem 1E but as its own entire line? Has OPP looked into the souls of the playerbase in general, found them wanting, and given them this?

Did we do this to ourselves?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Beast is the kind of game where it seems like they wanted to write about scenery-chewing, mustache-twirling villains who invited their heroic nemeses into their Secret Lairs while playing their leitmotif on their standard-issue spooky organ, then someone tacked on completely mismanaged social commentary that means both parties end up staring awkwardly at each other when they realize how badly they've been written.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end because I really love a game where I can yell WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM and flourish my comically oversized black-and-red cape.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm starting to suspect that Beast: the Primordial is bad. It's bad and not good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Beast: the Primordial is bad. It's bad and not good.

I'm surprised it's not already in FATAL and Friends tbh, especially after those excerpts upthread.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Daeren posted:

Beast is the kind of game where it seems like they wanted to write about scenery-chewing, mustache-twirling villains who invited their heroic nemeses into their Secret Lairs while playing their leitmotif on their standard-issue spooky organ, then someone tacked on completely mismanaged social commentary that means both parties end up staring awkwardly at each other when they realize how badly they've been written.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end because I really love a game where I can yell WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM and flourish my comically oversized black-and-red cape.

6. 1 2. Wharf Avenue. Right next to. Gentleman's Club.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

Even then, the two parts are themselves pretty bad, unless the abusive vice principal was meant to be social commentary of some kind etc. and they fed off one another.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Effectronica posted:

Even then, the two parts are themselves pretty bad, unless the abusive vice principal was meant to be social commentary of some kind etc. and they fed off one another.

Well yes, but if you're looking for anything actually good in Beast instead of just "this was a good idea once", you're going to end up burning down most everything that isn't the mechanics, and then taking a hammer and chisel to a good portion of those.

E: Like for real, aside from the bizarrely high power level of everything, a lot of the conceits of the mechanics of things like Lairs and Kinship Nightmares and poo poo are pretty novel, and I really enjoy how they work even if I don't always like what they do.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

Well yes, but if you're looking for anything actually good in Beast instead of just "this was a good idea once", you're going to end up burning down most everything that isn't the mechanics, and then taking a hammer and chisel to a good portion of those.

E: Like for real, aside from the bizarrely high power level of everything, a lot of the conceits of the mechanics of things like Lairs and Kinship Nightmares and poo poo are pretty novel, and I really enjoy how they work even if I don't always like what they do.

There's some interesting mechanics, and you could probably use some of the fluff in a revisionist context (granted, I doubt that there's a market for playing extrauniversal horrors that are trying to insinuate themselves into monstrous society).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daeren posted:

I loved doing this in Exalted as an Infernal- any other games that do this? Better Angels is one that I know of, anything else?

Daeren posted:

Like for real, aside from the bizarrely high power level of everything, a lot of the conceits of the mechanics of things like Lairs and Kinship Nightmares and poo poo are pretty novel, and I really enjoy how they work even if I don't always like what they do.

Someone else in the thread said it beast best when they said that Beast should just own what it was, and be about playing one of the WoD's villains. I also like the idea that your Satiety would determine the Morality (not Integrity, mind you) of the Heroes you face. It would definitely up the power levels properly, while also presenting an interesting quandary to both rollplayers and roleplayers- the former would have to struggle with the dilemma of always knowing they'll face an enemy as powerful as they are, while the latter will have to face up to the fact that if they want real power, they will have to become real evil.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the book is pretty much done, but honestly there's probably nothing in it that couldn't be fixed with like 2 solid months of editing and maybe 10 to 15 pages on the Primordial Dream and the role it has in the cosmology. It still probably wouldn't end up a book I'd like, but it'd be internally consistent and add something to the setting that way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

I loved doing this in Exalted as an Infernal- any other games that do this? Better Angels is one that I know of, anything else?

Someone else in the thread said it beast best when they said that Beast should just own what it was, and be about playing one of the WoD's villains. I also like the idea that your Satiety would determine the Morality (not Integrity, mind you) of the Heroes you face. It would definitely up the power levels properly, while also presenting an interesting quandary to both rollplayers and roleplayers- the former would have to struggle with the dilemma of always knowing they'll face an enemy as powerful as they are, while the latter will have to face up to the fact that if they want real power, they will have to become real evil.

Or just release it as an antagonist book instead of trying to make them sympathetic, relatable people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the game for having a power that lets you vomit fire every day for no cost, and for having an ability called "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM" that requires you to make eye contact with your enemy and rant at them to deal purely psychological damage.

But then everything else about the game happens.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm surprised it's not already in FATAL and Friends tbh, especially after those excerpts upthread.

I'm waiting until the finalized version of the book comes out. At the very least.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dammit Who? posted:

What queer person imagines themselves in their secret heart to be a horrible assistant principal?

This was post was incredible and completely on the nose, by the by.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kurieg posted:

an ability called "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM" that requires you to make eye contact with your enemy and rant at them to deal purely psychological damage.

This is also Demon as gently caress.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

This was post was incredible and completely on the nose, by the by.

Agreed, without the emote because I'm not being sarcastic. I didn't say this last night but you've been on loving fire with your posts about Beast, Dammit Who?.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

Demon: What would happen if I tore off your masks? Would anything remain?

An immensely pissed-off robot that just regained all its health & mana, topped off its power meter, and gained access to a wide arsenal of reality hacks and inbuilt weaponry? Someone didn't think this sentence through when they wrote it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does the author of this poo poo just hate Demon or something?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Same exact guy wrote for both.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

It's a clumsy attempt to preserve some mystery in the setting.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

SunAndSpring posted:

An immensely pissed-off robot that just regained all its health & mana, topped off its power meter, and gained access to a wide arsenal of reality hacks and inbuilt weaponry? Someone didn't think this sentence through when they wrote it.

Not to mention you just called down a hit squad of murderbots all like :siren::bustem::siren:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Night10194 posted:

If he did he wouldn't have set demons apart as special while lumping all other playable creatures together as the beasts' precocious kid brothers and sisters.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did Onyx Path lose an editor last year? That's the only rationale I can think of for the drop in quality.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm still chuckling at the idea of a Beast taking the book's recommended path of trying to make hunters question themselves by turning the question of who the real monster is on them.

"Aha, maybe it is you who are the real monster!" "Yes, I am one of the 666 sons and daughters of Satan and I am perpetually surrounded by hellfire."
"But what if YOU are the real monster?" "No poo poo, I work for an unimaginable horror's pharmaceutical company and half my body has been replaced by things I organlegged from wizards, vampires, werewolves, and faeries."
"But what if killing me makes you the real monster?" "I am a plumber and you are a giant squid that tricks people into swimming in a lake so you can 'punish' them by either drowning them or snubbing them on instagram."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm still chuckling at the idea of a Beast taking the book's recommended path of trying to make hunters question themselves by turning the question of who the real monster is on them.

"Aha, maybe it is you who are the real monster!" "Yes, I am one of the 666 sons and daughters of Satan and I am perpetually surrounded by hellfire."
"But what if YOU are the real monster?" "No poo poo, I work for an unimaginable horror's pharmaceutical company and half my body has been replaced by things I organlegged from wizards, vampires, werewolves, and faeries."
"But what if killing me makes you the real monster?" "I am a plumber and you are a giant squid that tricks people into swimming in a lake so you can 'punish' them by either drowning them or snubbing them on instagram."

"PERHAPS IT IS MAN THAT IS THE TRUE - wait a second is that your dick, goddamn man put that back in your pants, just because I can fly doesn't mean I'm interested"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mormon Star Wars posted:

"Perhaps the same can be said of all religions, O faithful one..."
"Yeah, perhaps." *licks lips, pulls on bib, pours clarified butter into chafing dish*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I mean, this is the central question for Hunter and basically what decides your character is how you answer it. And here Beast treats it as something no Hunter has ever heard before. It's like those weird missionaries on college campuses who assume someone in the US actually hasn't heard of Jesus before.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

"Maybe it's you who is the real monster---" "I have cold iron here and you won't take me again."

So why didn't they call this True Fae: The Fair Folk?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Now I'm envisioning Bowser as a beast, with Mario as his Hero.

Does Beast have go-kart rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Bowser is too decent to be a Beast.