Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Beautiful post, Crow Jane.

I like how he's missing one leg but is still wearing "boots." :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Nyarai posted:

Beautiful post, Crow Jane.

I like how he's missing one leg but is still wearing "boots." :downs:

We carries the second one, because he's a hero. Something something freedom.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Remember, when you see someone in a wheelchair, make sure you push them where you think they need to go against their express wishes, and let them know in any way you can think of that you don't think they can live their own life.

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVELY HORSES

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'm just wrong about etiquette, but I always thought that going up to someone in a wheelchair and insisting on pushing them is incredibly rude and condescending.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Twitch posted:

Maybe I'm just wrong about etiquette, but I always thought that going up to someone in a wheelchair and insisting on pushing them is incredibly rude and condescending.

I think there's a moral obligation on people to help people with disabilities WHO NEED HELP. To just go up to them and treat them as incapable babies is incredibly rude.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I think there's a moral obligation on people to help people with disabilities WHO NEED HELP. To just go up to them and treat them as incapable babies is incredibly rude.

That and pushing them against their will is technically kidnapping.

If it were me and someone tried to remove my agency like that, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs for someone to call the police while trying to engage the wheel brakes.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

flosofl posted:

If it were me and someone tried to remove my agency like that, I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs for someone to call the police while trying to engage the wheel brakes.

Seriously

Cute little disabled person! Let's go for a strolly-car ride, aren't you so grateful I came along to chaperone you

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I really, REALLY want to believe that whoever wrote that drivel knew exactly what they were doing and wrote it to be as outrageously STDH as possible, because the alternative is just too depressing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twitch posted:

It is.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Twitch posted:

I'm not in a wheelchair yet, but it 100% is. If us cripple-folk don't ask for help, don't give it. It's pretty simple.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Deciding to up and wheel someone in a chair away is akin to slinging an able bodied person over your shoulder and strolling off with them to where you think they should be going.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

I'm not in a wheelchair yet, but it 100% is. If us cripple-folk don't ask for help, don't give it. It's pretty simple.

I think that people who write the stdhs (and people who act like that IRL) actually believe that you are just too shy, embarassed, and meek to ask for help and that they are doing the ultimate good by doing the unasked for. So giving, so selfless!

moerketid posted:

Deciding to up and wheel someone in a chair away is akin to slinging an able bodied person over your shoulder and strolling off with them to where you think they should be going.

Somebody write this stdh NOW

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If people weren't supposed to push the chair then it wouldn't have handles.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

exploretalent.com

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Jesus, I mean can you believe that one of those people acted civilly?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

If I end up in a wheelchair and someone ever does it to me, I'm just gonna start screaming 'help, I'm being kidnapped'

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

sweeperbravo posted:

I think that people who write the stdhs (and people who act like that IRL) actually believe that you are just too shy, embarassed, and meek to ask for help and that they are doing the ultimate good by doing the unasked for. So giving, so selfless!
This is true for just about any obvious disability. I'm a dwarf and I've had to tell people to back off and if I need help I'll ask it, in places like supermarkets and poo poo where people were just following me around hovering. It's loving bizarre.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tendai posted:

This is true for just about any obvious disability. I'm a dwarf and I've had to tell people to back off and if I need help I'll ask it, in places like supermarkets and poo poo where people were just following me around hovering. It's loving bizarre.

(I can't resist and I know I'm going to hell)

They just want your pot of gold.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tendai posted:

If they want so badly to feel good about contributing to society they can go help at a soup kitchen

I guess it comes down to people who don't want to help in a selfless way but want to do it so they can tell their friends tell strangers on the internet about it later and get big impressive generosity points or something. "It's so heroic the way you followed that wheelchair guy into the bathroom stall to help him wipe his rear end, he must have felt so honored and blessed"

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

sweeperbravo posted:

If they want so badly to feel good about contributing to society they can go help at a soup kitchen

I guess it comes down to people who don't want to help in a selfless way but want to do it so they can tell their friends tell strangers on the internet about it later and get big impressive generosity points or something. "It's so heroic the way you followed that wheelchair guy into the bathroom stall to help him wipe his rear end, he must have felt so honored and blessed"

Man, the most I've done for them poor brave handicapped souls was flag down the train station guy with the ramp because he went to the carriage next to us on accident and the guy who needed it was staring at the train guy and trying/failing to get his attention.

In the time it took me to step out and wave him down two people grabbed the back of his chair and offered to push him.

Other than that, nothing ever. Turns out people with handicaps are extremely loving capable and don't go about their day relying on strangers to help them do every little thing, and already have plans to utilise services things like calling ahead to the station theyre travelling to to make sure there's a ramp for them.

Also I didn't tell all my friends because "flagged down idiot train guy" is more a lovely story about cityrail being terrible, and everyone knows that already. And I'm a goon, so I have no friends to tell about my heroically selfless acts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tendai posted:

flosofl posted:

They just want your pot of gold.

What the gently caress dude. Leprechauns have pots of gold, dwarves give you magic rings.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

sweeperbravo posted:

"It's so heroic the way you followed that wheelchair guy into the bathroom stall to help him wipe his rear end, he must have felt so honored and blessed"

This happened to me. I was in a chair for a few months following an accident, and when I was still trying to get the hang of navigating, I wedged myself in the corner of a public restroom's doorway. A lady exiting found me halfway through a thousand point turn to free myself grabbed my wheel and pulled me loose before I had a chance to ask, which was nice of her.

What was less nice was her following me back into the restroom cooing about how "brave" I was, and volunteering to help me with "anything. I really don't mind. anything you need" while I backed into the stall as fast as I could to make her leave.

And no, I was not in the chair as a result of anything approaching bravery

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I like how after the whole love letter to himself ("look at me helping wheelchair widower vet") there was just a gratuitous slam on Caitlyn Jenner. Because the mere existence of a pop culture celebrity hurts ARE VETS :911:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

This happened to me. I was in a chair for a few months following an accident, and when I was still trying to get the hang of navigating, I wedged myself in the corner of a public restroom's doorway. A lady exiting found me halfway through a thousand point turn to free myself grabbed my wheel and pulled me loose before I had a chance to ask, which was nice of her.

What was less nice was her following me back into the restroom cooing about how "brave" I was, and volunteering to help me with "anything. I really don't mind. anything you need" while I backed into the stall as fast as I could to make her leave.

:stonk:

Jesus Christ

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Some more gold from Reddit's "TIFU" forum (should be called Today poo poo Didn't Happen). Seriously, how dumb are people that they believe this stuff? Bonus points for the neverending edits.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/38xoxy/tifu_by_not_reading_the_yearbook_signatures/ posted:

When I was in 10th grade, I had a really close friend who was a girl, I was head over heels for this girl, would hang out non-stop, text non-stop, and all around I wanted to date her more than anything at the time. I also had no testicles at the time, and never had the courage to ask her. at the end of 10th grade, we had these yearbooks, and the custom was to get people to sign it, and they would leave stuff like "have a great summer", "nice to have known you" etc. When I asked her to sign it, she put in the following.

Here I am almost a junior in college, and I found my yearbook by accident while looking for something else, and just read this.. pondering life.

Edit: I didn't expect this to blow up like this. I'm currently out at the moment and typing This from my phone. I will call her when I get home Which is like 2 hours from now. Thanks For the people who responded positively.

Edit2: I'm going to text her, I really don't want to make another cringey moment in my life, and have an extremely awkward phone conversation. I'll update soon.

Edit3: I texted her, found her number through mutual friends on facebook, she changed it. I will post the conversation after I edit her number out. 5 minutes.

Edit4:

Edit5: Sorry for not calling in the text she mentioned she cried from 3 pm till 12 am, and hearing that over the phone is just too awkward, glad I didn't call. Thank you for the people who guilted me into this, I needed it.

Edit6: yeah I realized blocking out the name alexis was pointless, so I didnt for the last 2 pictures. I blocked out mine though, it's very uncommon name.

Edit7: I understand the skepticism, if theres a definitive way to prove it I will that doesn't compromise our identities. I just want to say I wouldn't do this for fictional points on a forum, the past couple of hours have been a very weird rollercoaster.

Edit8: I do have a girlfriend, getting coffee with someone isn't cheating. I'm not going to gently caress her on the coffee machine.

Edit9: I don't know how somebody was able to edit my title on my first imgurlink, but this is not a "wheres waldo book". Here's more pictures. http://imgur.com/UXpFevl,SY9KNop,dd9xdA2

Edit10: I gave her the link to this thread, she has never heard of reddit, and thinks it's insane that the original picture has 250k views.

Yeah good luck explaining this to your girlfriendJapanese body pillow and having her not be pissed and break up with you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Huntersoninski posted:

Sounds like she was just a sex offender looking for a mark.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress dude. Leprechauns have pots of gold, dwarves give you magic rings.

Dwarves give you mithril shirts.

When I have to use a chair, I try to get the store's zippy cart--the little scooter things. That way I control my destiny. The other kind leaves you vulnerable to people wanting to 'help'.

There's a special place in Hell for the people who think those things are Disney rides to gently caress around with. Thanks for draining the battery, prickhead.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Drunk Tomato posted:

Some more gold from Reddit's "TIFU" forum (should be called Today poo poo Didn't Happen). Seriously, how dumb are people that they believe this stuff? Bonus points for the neverending edits.

Yeah good luck explaining this to your girlfriendJapanese body pillow and having her not be pissed and break up with you.

Imo they eat that poo poo up because they want to believe it so hard. They too want to believe that if they call the girl they loved but never dared to speak to she would cry for hours on end for no clear reason. Reddit and imgur loving love stories that go with their beliefs of "I'm actually a cool dude", "everyone but me is an idiot" and "man, look at women and blacks thinking they are real people"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

The most thing that didn't happen is that he had the girl he was obsessed with sign his yearbook and didn't read what she wrote immediately when she handed it back to him. Come on now that's elementary.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I think my favorite thing about the yearbook story is that he acts like yearbooks are this weird thing that no one's heard of because signing them was just this crazy tradition they had at his school and nowhere else.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

The most thing that didn't happen is that he had the girl he was obsessed with sign his yearbook and didn't read what she wrote immediately when she handed it back to him. Come on now that's elementary.

Who doesn't read every single thing written on their yearbook obsessively, especially if written by a cute boy/girl?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ElGroucho posted:

Who doesn't read every single thing written on their yearbook obsessively, especially if written by a cute boy/girl?

Cool guys walk away from explosions yearbooks.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I should meet up with this person that cried for 9 hours straight.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Please conduct your nearest medical professional if you have a crying fit lasting more than 4 hours

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
She didn't cry for 9 hours. She waited for him to call her for the entire day and then cried herself to sleep when he didn't. Also this happened when she was 15 or whatever 10th grade is. Honestly I could see this one actually happening.

e: Or maybe not. I didn't realize 10th grade was high school and like all of my girl friends that I was close with who signed my yearbook wrote like entire paragraphs.

Boris Galerkin has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jun 8, 2015

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Boris Galerkin posted:

She didn't cry for 9 hours. She waited for him to call her for the entire day and then cried herself to sleep when he didn't. Also this happened when she was 15 or whatever 10th grade is. Honestly I could see this one actually happening.

e: Or maybe not. I didn't realize 10th grade was high school and like all of my girl friends that I was close with who signed my yearbook wrote like entire paragraphs.
Let me tell you, guys WILL read everything the cute girls write. You believe he didn't read what his obsession wrote?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
We had this wacky custom at my school where you would ask a girl to a dance, and then take pictures with her

Unfortunately, I didn't know then how to dance, so I just stood there, awkwardly bouncing

Years later, I bumped in to my date at a Starbucks - turns out, she thought I was the sexiest dancer ever

We are married now and have 7 kids

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I think my favorite thing about the yearbook story is that he acts like yearbooks are this weird thing that no one's heard of because signing them was just this crazy tradition they had at his school and nowhere else.

We got our yearbooks after graduation.

So no time to sign them.

My school did not have its poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

We got our yearbooks after graduation.

So no time to sign them.

My school did not have its poo poo together.

I'm sorry. That's sad. And hilarious.

Sadlarious

• Locked thread