Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

3G on Sprint may as well be no reception, honestly.

It's a sort of reception.

A wedding reception for snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Good enough to post here, check my email, an eBay auction, and the weather for the flight back to Atlanta. Would have been SOL on T-Mobile alone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
T-Mobile actually has international 3G roaming agreement with Panama carriers on post-paid Simple Choice plans, so it's probably an iphone frequency band issue?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ruby idiot railed posted:

T-Mobile actually has international 3G roaming agreement with Panama carriers on post-paid Simple Choice plans, so it's probably an iphone frequency band issue?

Panama City, FL. US soil. I should have been more specific.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any major-ish brick and mortars that would have older or factory unlocked phones? Probably going to just order off the internet, but I'd rather not do so sight unseen.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

RVProfootballer posted:

I googled "chrome android download to sd card" and found:

Open a web page any page will do. Then press the button beside d home key to bring up settings. Select settings which will bring you to privacy and all then below content. Select content and near the end you will see default storage, press it and it will change to sd as your storage.

Does that not work? As for default behavior, you need to tell apps where to store stuff if you don't like the default. There shouldn't be any mystery to it: if you want Chrome to download stuff to your SD card, change that setting!

There is no "Content" under privacy. I would love to change that setting but it doesn't seen to exist. I agree completely, there should be no mystery to it, yet here we are.

RVProfootballer posted:

As for moving files to random locations on an SD card, with Android 5.0 that has been disallowed. Apps can only write to their own specific directory on an SD card, so that you don't get a garbage-filled SD card with random poo poo all over it when you uninstall an app. I don't know how any file explorers handle it because I don't have a phone with an SD card, but any of them should be able to write into a folder on the SD card that is specific to it. So if you use ES File Explorer, find the ES File Explorer folder on your SD card, and throw stuff into a Download subfolder in there. No idea if that works in practice, but that should work in theory.
whatever bs program Samsung put in charge of deciding sd folder usage is broke and you can't set a folder per ES file explorer's instructions. It literally just tells you what type of files exist, you can't even see folders or anything.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just going to try that usb driver sand just get my stuff off here and try not to go buy an iphone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RodShaft posted:

I'm just going to try that usb driver sand just get my stuff off here and try not to go buy an iphone.

How does the iPhone handle SD cards?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I"m kind of digging my 64GB Zenfone 2. The camera is loving hot garbage when Google Camera is used, but the Asus app does a significantly better job controlling exposure. It's still not great, but it's passable.

It's just so much faster than my Nexus 5, it's crazy. And now I can keep Waze, Google Music, and Daily Roads (dashcam) all going at the same time without them randomly dying due to lack of RAM.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

LastInLine posted:

How does the iPhone handle SD cards?

Apparently exactly the same since I can't use mine at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's my point, you shouldn't be relying on or using SD cards at all.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's my point, you shouldn't be relying on or using SD cards at all.

Because the os has broken the use of them? Or did you have a real reason other than snark?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm getting a new Samsung S6 on Tuesday.

Yay.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RodShaft posted:

Because the os has broken the use of them? Or did you have a real reason other than snark?

That, AND quality control for microSD cards is kind of an adorable thought to think, AND even if you're a local hoarder phones worth buying have 64 GB options now.

To give you perspective: The dudes who made that phone where CyanogenMod was the stock ROM did not include an SD slot.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 7, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
OTOH, I've used sd cards on every smartphone I've ever owned, and the only problem I've ever had was because I bought a counterfeit on Ebay. Maybe sd cards aren't garbage any more? :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I use and enjoy SD cards on my phones that happen to support them. It's not a deciding factor for purchase to me, but it's quite silly to claim that they're worthless like some posters do regularly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Android has implemented SD cards in a bunch of different ways trying to make them useful, secure, and user friendly and has failed with every attempt. I'm sure the forthcoming way in Android M will work though, it's not like the fundamental idea of using removable storage for non-ephemeral data is horrible or anything. Wait, no, it's absolutely retarded and destined to fail as well.

The fact is that SD cards have two uses. They exist so that OEMs can sell you the ability to have, if you pay for it yourself, up to 128GB of storage! And they're a way to carry large media files. Decent data plans and speeds negate the need for the latter and the former only work when you're selling to people who buy on spec sheets and spend on a tight budget. Both reasons are completely destroyed if your customer has money and demands quality and ease of use.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Alternatively, SD cards are fine

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Android has implemented SD cards in a bunch of different ways trying to make them useful, secure, and user friendly and has failed with every attempt. I'm sure the forthcoming way in Android M will work though, it's not like the fundamental idea of using removable storage for non-ephemeral data is horrible or anything. Wait, no, it's absolutely retarded and destined to fail as well.
And as Mark Murphy wrote on his blog, a new wave of developers who started post-4.0 get to experience the wealth of undefined application behaviors which are caused by permanent data and applications stored on removable media.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't understand the problem. If I install an app on the SD card, remove the card, and the app doesn't work how I want, I'll just leave a 1 star review and uninstall. Problem solved.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't understand the problem. If I install an app on the SD card, remove the card, and the app doesn't work how I want, I'll just leave a 1 star review and uninstall. Problem solved.

:golfclap:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Don't forget to also leave a one star review if the developer includes the manifest flag that prevents the app from being put on removable storage. It isn't Android if they aren't perpetually put in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
As an alternitive to SD cards for media storage, I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stellar-Android-Smartphones-Transfer/dp/B00GMG2GEO

You can play files right off of it using ES File Browser and MX Player.

I wouldn't use it every day, but its good enough for traveling.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lowen SoDium posted:

As an alternitive to SD cards for media storage, I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stellar-Android-Smartphones-Transfer/dp/B00GMG2GEO

You can play files right off of it using ES File Browser and MX Player.

I wouldn't use it every day, but its good enough for traveling.

I've read this story before and it ends with Phone Nutz.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Captain Yossarian posted:

Alternatively, SD cards are fine

The problem from developers and Google's standpoint is this:

Many users will say SD cards are fine because they have a couple applications that happen to work right because the developers of those apps put a ton of work into handling all the stupid edge cases that removable storage represents. Meanwhile, 95% of apps haven't put any effort into making all the edge cases work, and just break in unexpected ways when used with SD cards.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone know if magnetic car holders for my Note 3 would interfere with the Qi receiver I use?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Anjow posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone know if magnetic car holders for my Note 3 would interfere with the Qi receiver I use?

Somebody a while ago used a magnetic car holder and the Nexus Qi charger to make a magnetic, Qi-charging car mount. It was pretty snazzy, and didn't look to complicated. So no, unless you get Samsunged, it should work fine.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Does the Nexus 6 have the same Active Display and the handsfree features like the Moto X/Maxx/Turbo?

When I switched from the Maxx to the G3, I realized how much I relied on the Active Display, always on listening, and audio prompts. I'm seriously considering picking up a used Turbo or Nexus 6.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JayKay posted:

Does the Nexus 6 have the same Active Display and the handsfree features like the Moto X/Maxx/Turbo?

When I switched from the Maxx to the G3, I realized how much I relied on the Active Display, always on listening, and audio prompts. I'm seriously considering picking up a used Turbo or Nexus 6.

It's not the same but it's similar. In my limited experience with both I think I'd prefer the Motorola implementation to the stock Lollipop way of doing it but maybe someone with real experience with both will chime in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

The problem from developers and Google's standpoint is this:

Many users will say SD cards are fine because they have a couple applications that happen to work right because the developers of those apps put a ton of work into handling all the stupid edge cases that removable storage represents. Meanwhile, 95% of apps haven't put any effort into making all the edge cases work, and just break in unexpected ways when used with SD cards.

I get that, but on the other hand I'm fine with that, I'll still use an SD card when a slot is available. Because the big thing for me is being able to put a shitload of music and ebooks on my phone. 16gb is plenty for apps for me, and an SD card is considerably cheaper than the memory upgrade on any phone. And I haven't had an SD card die on me yet, but if I did, I'd probably just buy a new one and port everything over again. Annoying, but not catastrophic.

e: Also I'm a huge cheapskate, I've never bought a new phone since T-Mobile stopped doing contracts and free upgrade phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also I'm a huge cheapskate, I've never bought a new phone since T-Mobile stopped doing contracts and free upgrade phones.

LastInLine posted:

Both reasons are completely destroyed if your customer has money and demands quality and ease of use.

That having been said, carrying media is the one reason to support them. It's the people who want to use them for app data in place of adequate storage who are the problem, not those who wish to carry things.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring that post. I just figured I should probably say that I'm not one of the people in this thread who buys new flagships, because my general phone budget impacts my options and needs.

Also, after making that post about SD cards, my SD card started acting up tonight while using camscanner to get some school stuff scanned in. Not sure if it was camscanner, my SD card, or my phone, but it definitely could have been the SD card. My phone is also a 4-year-old piece of poo poo, though. Either way, I'm moving up my new phone timetable.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 8, 2015

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I got the moto x gen 2 and its a lively piece of kit. Using it right now in fact!

Only problem is, I used the migration tool to bring over my contacts etc but now when I get a text message it comes up as <PERSONS NAME>(1), like its a copy or something.

I think it might be related to the fact that half my contact information is from google and the other half from yahoo mail (as in telephone number from Google , email address from yahoo but on the same contact)

Any ideas how to resolve which isn't a factory reset?

TIA

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Check your contacts to make sure the same number isn't listed twice in each for some reason. I've had issues with merging contacts that resulted in similar problems before.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone that's used an S6 Edge for a while, what are your impressions? Is the edge thing worth having, and is it durable?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My friend has an S5 that she bought outright from AT&T. She had it unlocked and it's working on T-Mobile, but she wants the AT&T stuff removed. It's still on 4.4.4 and it gives a failure message when checking for updates. Is there a way I can flash it to a T-Mobile or unbranded ROM? If not, can I at least update it? I don't want to root it but if that's required I can go ask in that thread (ugh).

I found this site but it has a RapidGator link with a rar and I don't trust that poo poo one bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

My friend has an S5 that she bought outright from AT&T. She had it unlocked and it's working on T-Mobile, but she wants the AT&T stuff removed. It's still on 4.4.4 and it gives a failure message when checking for updates. Is there a way I can flash it to a T-Mobile or unbranded ROM? If not, can I at least update it? I don't want to root it but if that's required I can go ask in that thread (ugh).

I found this site but it has a RapidGator link with a rar and I don't trust that poo poo one bit.

I'm pretty sure SamMobile is the resource for this but obviously I can't tell you any of the answers to your questions.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

Someone that's used an S6 Edge for a while, what are your impressions? Is the edge thing worth having, and is it durable?

I have the edge. If i could do it over again I'd get the S6. As it stands currently the People Edge only works with stock messages or your carrier's messaging app. No 3rd party development on it yet. The feeds you can put on the information bar are very limited. And you can't have a tempered glass screen protector on it.

With that said - the edge feels great in the hand and the edge screen does look really cool.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

vyst posted:

I have the edge. If i could do it over again I'd get the S6. As it stands currently the People Edge only works with stock messages or your carrier's messaging app. No 3rd party development on it yet. The feeds you can put on the information bar are very limited. And you can't have a tempered glass screen protector on it.

With that said - the edge feels great in the hand and the edge screen does look really cool.
Thanks for the info, I use Textual for messaging so that would be a no-go for me. I'll probably just wait a bit for more software refinement, because it does look like an interesting device.

edit: Textra is what I meant :argh:, Textual is an IRC client

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 8, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

Thanks for the info, I use Textual for messaging so that would be a no-go for me. I'll probably just wait a bit for more software refinement, because it does look like an interesting device.

Yea I use Textra, so if they could get that supported it would be A++, I also would love the ability to add my own RSS feeds to the information stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found a used XT1053 Developer edition Moto X for $195, is there any reason I shouldn't jump on it? I know that would be high for a Verizon model, but the T-Mobile ones are more expensive all around.