Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Going to go back through the old missions to check on stuff I couldn't get to at the time, and probably root around some planets to get ideas.

alpaca

You'll need: Fully Customizable Ship Mod.

Edit: So I guess I've never really watched the server logs when playing, it tells you exactly what dungeon is on the world, though it doesn't seem to mention mini dungeons

Silento Boborachi fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Today's update has a .gif of a robot with boxing gloves, and another .gif heavily featuring Quickman lasers.
The platforms aren't 1 tile wide anymore, but some of them are yoku blocks.

This concludes your Starbound report.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
wait you forgot to mention if it's bad or not

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also you can sell stuff now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicadas! posted:

Today's update has a .gif of a robot with boxing gloves, and another .gif heavily featuring Quickman lasers.

today's update also includes charles l'poisson realizing that they still need a programmer to supplement their artists and ideas guy

i hope you don't mind when they decide to switch over to machine code in 2019

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but I thought MapleStory jump quests were the pinnacle of game design.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

Strangely enough, their new challenge dungeon thing they're showing off looks like it's a little too far on the "easy" side of the spectrum. It's nice that the platforming isn't so bad but they really need to do more with the lasers. Maybe even just some more knockback somehow? There's clearly places where you can just hang out and heal so damage isn't going to be enough to actually make the room a challenge.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm not sure if you're being contrary for the sake of it, but isn't this exactly what we've been hoping the devs would do to since they came out as flaming gay for jumping puzzles? To tone it away from being balls-out impossible?
Do you want the Tesla Terror Tunnels() to come back, Babe Magnet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can assure you I'm not, I just don't believe that changing something bad automatically makes it good. It's bad in a different way, now. That challenge dungeon section looks fine in a few ways; the lasers are an interesting way to change up the platforming, they look nice and match the aesthetic of the rest of the dungeon, they're dynamic because they move around and have their on special effects, and the dungeon is clearly beatable without being hit so there's at least some incentive to platform your little heart out. It just seems like the only actual challenge that isn't intentionally gimping yourself (beat the dungeon without taking damage or force yourself to start over) is seeing how many bandages you can bring into the laser tunnel, since the jumps are still completable even after taking a direct hit from one of the "obstacles", and you can just brute force you way through by jumping from safe-area to safe-area, ignoring the lasers altogether, and healing for a few seconds, over and over again.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble since they've shown working timers to set it where if you take too long it either locks a door or just floods the room with magma. Hell, just make it where magma slowly floods the challenge room. That's like a staple for sidescrollers.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i took like 5 months off of starbound and booted up a new character last night and it's really fun again. I dunno, whatever, maybe I'm a dumb lil baby bitch with low standards.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

The White Dragon posted:

today's update also includes charles l'poisson realizing that they still need a programmer to supplement their artists and ideas guy

i hope you don't mind when they decide to switch over to machine code in 2019

They need game designers too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

shiksa posted:

i took like 5 months off of starbound and booted up a new character last night and it's really fun again. I dunno, whatever, maybe I'm a dumb lil baby bitch with low standards.

:ins:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Starbound is a game that has potential for fun, but Tiy is secretly Darkseid and using the game as a platform to search for the Anti-Fun Equation so he can defeat the Justice League.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Starbound has several good ideas, the problem is that they're very basic and far too undeveloped.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Falsum posted:

Starbound has several good ideas, the problem is that they're very basic and far too undeveloped.

The idea of fun for example.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

shiksa posted:

Whattup fellow game enjoyer.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cicadas! posted:

Starbound is a game that has potential for fun, but Tiy is secretly Darkseid and using the game as a platform to search for the Anti-Fun Equation so he can defeat the Justice League.

Finally, someone who makes sense!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Smuggins posted:

Whattup fellow game enjoyer.

I genuinely like liking things, especially regarding games, but I just can't do Starbound until it's 'done'... which means I might never play it again.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
lmao if you like things

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Blhue posted:

lmao if you like things

The Games subforum summed up in one post.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I think the biggest problem with this game isn't wether or not people find it fun and more a lack of direction coupled with a VERY long development time. Though I think there starting to reign in what they want the game to be it still took about a year and a half past there early access release to get to this point. I feel like they should have focused on that rather than add like a bazillion art assets but what are you to do when 80% of your development team are artists and not really too amazing at coding.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I think the biggest problem with this game isn't wether or not people find it fun and more a lack of direction coupled with a VERY long development time. Though I think there starting to reign in what they want the game to be it still took about a year and a half past there early access release to get to this point. I feel like they should have focused on that rather than add like a bazillion art assets but what are you to do when 80% of your development team are artists and not really too amazing at coding.

I think you've established that one of the biggest problems is time. Things take longer than expected, but that doesn't mean there's zero direction. Right now it's actually an even split, so the 80% you pulled out just isn't true in any way.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

HE HAS RETURN

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Supernorn posted:

I think you've established that one of the biggest problems is time. Things take longer than expected, but that doesn't mean there's zero direction. Right now it's actually an even split, so the 80% you pulled out just isn't true in any way.

Supernorn, why is it that every game you touch either has poo poo in it or is poo poo?
just admit it, norn, you like scat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

huh. guess you guys don't like facts

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I didn't say 0 I said lack. And the 80% was strait out of my rear end. And as I've said before, I don't hate your game and I'm not in love with it either. It needs work and I was more trying verbalize why I think people are frustrated with how the development process is going.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad of this thread

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Supernorn, please tell me why this gayme is nowhere near done, but Chasm, a 2D platformer/metroidvania that kickstarted around the same time as this heap did, is going to be releasing real soon, like a few weeks soon.

I guess what im trying to say is everyone who at least likes non-poo poo things should get Chasm.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

They very recently figured out how they want movement and combat to work in the game. After three years of working on it. but no, lack of direction isnt the problem.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Hey I'm restarting work on the Peglaci because I want it to be done properly

Also I will never escape modding ever please kill me

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Move onto Fo4 when its released.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still in the camp of 'starbound could probably be good one day' but lmao if anyone says that the amount of time involved so far isn't goddamn ridiculous and a huge sign that no one knows what the gently caress they want to do

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dog kisser posted:

i hear minecraft modding is some fertile soil

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Rrussom posted:

I guess what im trying to say is everyone who at least likes non-poo poo things should get Chasm.

Seconding that, I like what I played of Chasm.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Falsum posted:

Seconding that, I like what I played of Chasm.

Thats good to hear.

on a related note, if you arent Tiy and dont have pleb tastes, Mother 4 should be coming out some time soon aswell.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol holy poo poo we all just shot out of the walls all of a sudden

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

In a non-Starbound related note, how's that Haskell pirate game coming, Supes?
Also nice job with the frog merchant. He looks good.

e: serious question though, is the game actually moving forward in any meaningful manner or are you just stuck adding fluff pieces forever?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 7, 2015

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
There making npcs talk to each other. I guess that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It added a lot to Oblivion.

• Locked thread