Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
His average speed hasn't moved more than 0.4 so far. Its metronomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
He's actually slowing down right now, might drop down to 54.5

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Was just about to say, hes slowing now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's ruining his straight line.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
54.5 is looking a bit far now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He might just hold on to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
54.55ish

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He looks slightly unimpressed and he can still walk.

I reckon he might try it again.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Production couldn't even stop the clock at one hour? Come on guys.

Wiggo smashed the record but I don't think he put it out of reach. If Tony Martin decides to go for this and gets better luck with the air pressure then I think he could go faster.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

He looks slightly unimpressed and he can still walk.

I reckon he might try it again.

If Tony Martin takes this on he'll probably break it. I think we'll see him and Dowsett have another go.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Martin and Cancellara will both smash the fraud Wiggins

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Martin and Cancellara will both smash the fraud Wiggins

Have you ever considered not watching cycling if the majority of the main protagonists offend you to such a degree?

Wouldn't mind if Martin beat it but Fabian "Luigi" Cancellara can do one.

Also, I don't think either of them will do it without much more favourable air pressure.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I don't think Cancellara is going to go for it, I recall that he went to do some track testing at one point in the offseason but he hasn't mentioned it since then so I'm guessing the numbers weren't right.

54.526km is Wiggo's official distance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

54.526km is pretty impressive given the conditions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jamsque posted:

Weather is not helping him, there is a high pressure zone in London. I think he'll get the record but won't make it to 55km.

Xavier Disley did a graph of modeled effect on hour distances per weather over the last several days:
https://twitter.com/xavierdisley/status/606885690123689984
According to the model, Wiggins dropped pretty much half a km from ideal to worse case conditions.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Jamsque posted:

I don't think Cancellara is going to go for it, I recall that he went to do some track testing at one point in the offseason but he hasn't mentioned it since then so I'm guessing the numbers weren't right.

54.526km is Wiggo's official distance.

He was motivated to do it with the old rules Merckx set his time under. When they changed it all of a sudden he was irl pissed and shelved his plans and this let Voigt use the resources set aside for his attempt.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crystael posted:

Have you ever considered not watching cycling if the majority of the main protagonists offend you to such a degree?

Link to me ever saying this? I just hate Team Sky and a few others. As all good cycling fans should.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Link to me ever saying this? I just hate Team Sky and a few others. As all good cycling fans should.

Hmm, and why is this? And what, in your definition, is a "good cycling fan"?

EDIT: also assuming you didn't get my Cancellara Luigi reference. Google it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Crystael posted:

A good cycling fan is anyone that hates Sky.

You're almost as bad at posting as AIDScum and Gaylord.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pocket posted:

There is literally nothing wrong with that position, Contador is euro as gently caress, Sky are a bunch marginal gains try hards. Case in point, Alberto attempting the Giro - Tour double, a fear with massive glory and historical significance. Froome, away on a secluded training camp will hope to capitalize on a fatigued rival.

I should also add Sky go to lengths to claim to be the clean team yet have no problems using a TUE to win Romandie last year rather than bench their rider. They associated themselves with one of the dirtiest doctors and only cut ties with him when the noise finally became too much. Froome beating old doper times up climbs, and still they claim to be clean with a straight face. They are just as dirty as any other World Tour team out there but they are so up their own arses and their fans so clueless seeing them flounder brings untold joy.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 7, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crystael posted:

Someone who loves the sport but is realistically nice and jaded who isn't a Johnny come lately Sky fan (it was Lance/postal before) and/or thinks only non Anglophones dope etc

I root for plenty of riders. Big Kwaitkowski fan.

And I think everyone knows full well about the clasicomano Luigi thing.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
SKY also use jaguars as team cars which tells you all you really need to know.

hour record attempts are like watching nascar only more boring and with less chance of death.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Box Hill Strangler posted:

SKY also use jaguars as team cars which tells you all you really need to know.

hour record attempts are like watching nascar only more boring and with less chance of death.

The jags and rapha kit are their only redeeming feature

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

African AIDS cum posted:

And I think everyone knows full well about the clasicomano Luigi thing.

I thought this was Thomas Dekker

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Pvt Dancer posted:

I thought this was Thomas Dekker

Get this. It was Juan Antonio Flecha.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Dauphine has been pretty entertaining. Daniel Teklehaimanot riding himself into a nice raise after this.

Team time trial tomorrow, when we watch all the French teams lose the entire race in one day.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Interesting Secret Pro article on the Giro today
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/06/the-secret-pro-on-the-giro-there-were-days-when-youd-just-despair/

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

That's pretty damning. Is it known who it is? He says enough specific stuff in these columns that it must be obvious by now.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

peanut- posted:

That's pretty damning. Is it known who it is? He says enough specific stuff in these columns that it must be obvious by now.

I've always suspected a Garmin rider.

"I’ll try and talk the team bosses into letting me aim for the Tour of California instead. It’d make sense too as it’s a perfect platform for our team’s title sponsor.

Really not sure what other team that would make sense for either.

"He’s done it all: Olympics, the Tour and now the hour record. You have to take your cap off to him. I remember racing against him as a junior and knowing back then he was going places"

It's vaughters isnt it. The bits about being in the race are just to throw people off :tinfoil:

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 9, 2015

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

peanut- posted:

I had a look once at the starting lists for the races he claimed to have done. Iirc there wasn't anyone who had done them all. He probably inserts some lies in there to throw people off.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

peanut- posted:

Michael Rogers raced in Europe as a junior, he'd be my best bet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Premature ejacula- posted:

Michael Rogers raced in Europe as a junior, he'd be my best bet.

Uses the term "Bloody"

Whinges about Australians getting short shrift.

Talks about another Aussie rider.

You might be onto something there.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 9, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

He certainly didnt mince words, did he?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did Tinkoff-Saxo have a particularly innocuous Giro?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

goatface posted:

Everyone had an innocuous Giro compared to the Kazakhstan Postal Service Team.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
They've said that they re-write the columns once they get it from the author so that their idioms and such don't come across. I'd rather just enjoy that someone in the peloton is thinking what everyone on the outside is thinking. Yes, Secret Pro, we did notice that there were 6 Astana in the top 25.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Kreuziger certainly did. No wonder they dropped the bio passport case.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

VacaGrande posted:

They've said that they re-write the columns once they get it from the author so that their idioms and such don't come across. I'd rather just enjoy that someone in the peloton is thinking what everyone on the outside is thinking. Yes, Secret Pro, we did notice that there were 6 Astana in the top 25.

A lot of these secret x things use several people too.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
It's obviously much easier to do behind a shroud of anonymity, but it's always good to hear someone state publicity how ridiculous a race was.

Astana's dominance at the Giro was pretty mind-blowing - it made me think back to last year's TDF where you probably had a load of domestiques doped to the gills (Iglinksy definitely was, of course) working for a team leader who, quite possibly, was riding clean(ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Crystael posted:

It's obviously much easier to do behind a shroud of anonymity, but it's always good to hear someone state publicity how ridiculous a race was.

Astana's dominance at the Giro was pretty mind-blowing - it made me think back to last year's TDF where you probably had a load of domestiques doped to the gills (Iglinksy definitely was, of course) working for a team leader who, quite possibly, was riding clean(ish).

Uhhhh....

Get out Sky apologist