Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
ugh why don't people actually pay attention to the splat zone in ranked and instead spend the entire time focusing on kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

ugh why don't people actually pay attention to the splat zone in ranked and instead spend the entire time focusing on kills

Because it gives you a meaningless rank based in kills, not based on on how well you actually do the thing that you need to do to win.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's real easy to take a splat zone. It's even easier when they're all dead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea why it doesn't record zone contests and captures on the score board, other than recording that would of taken some additional programming.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The problem here is you're acknowledging the existence of the splat zone. To properly get into the mentality of these people you need to get those kills, then dive into their spawn in an attempt to get more rather than capturing the zone they are currently in control of.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 7, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea why it doesn't record zone contests and captures on the score board, other than recording that would of taken some additional programming.

Yeah that would be a nice stat to know.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

stopping the timer is far more important than getting a kill - usually by the time they've killed the person they're chasing around the map the rest of the team has respawned and is back at the area of the zone
You respawn and get back into the action so quickly that a kill is only a short refresher unless your team is completely dominating

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My priorities in splatzones are

1. Contest the zone
2. Murder
3. Take the zone

Splatzones is unique from turf war in that jumping right back into the action is infinitely more dangerous. Killing someone and having them jump back is a gift. Most smart people just swim back safely. A kill buys you a lot more time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

How else are people supposed to complain that their rank should be higher than C-? It happens in every shooter with objectives.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Spacebump posted:

How else are people supposed to complain that their rank should be higher than C-? It happens in every shooter with objectives.

Except this is in B- , they should know by now

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Parasol Prophet posted:

Are there also a bunch of puns in the Japanese version? Because I love puns, and puns in other languages are the best puns.

Also I think I'm getting the hang of the inkbrush, although it still seems tricky and near-useless in cases where the enemy team is blocking off all routes (so you can't zip past them and ink up the places they're neglecting) or the walls are too narrow to get a good spread of ink out. But it's just too fun surprise-slapping your foes to death with a giant paintbrush. I'm keeping it.

Yeah. I don't know them all myself, but some include the Squid Sisters being named after species of squid along with the shopkeepers having similar names. Japanese works love dumb puns more than any work in English.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the final boss it feels like I'm staring straight at a pun and don't recognize it.

Why is he spinning the turntables with wasabi? I suspected "spicy wasabi beats" to have a double meaning but "wasabi beets" isnt' turning anything up on Google.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bruceski posted:

For the final boss it feels like I'm staring straight at a pun and don't recognize it.

Why is he spinning the turntables with wasabi? I suspected "spicy wasabi beats" to have a double meaning but "wasabi beets" isnt' turning anything up on Google.

Wasabi goes with sushi

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

stopping the timer is far more important than getting a kill - usually by the time they've killed the person they're chasing around the map the rest of the team has respawned and is back at the area of the zone
You respawn and get back into the action so quickly that a kill is only a short refresher unless your team is completely dominating

If you chase someone around a map to kill them you suck at the game. Killing is the undisclosed idea of ranked. You kill them, you now have like 5 seconds to cover area and make it impossible for them to just pop out of nowhere. Kill, cover, hide, repeat.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

1. Contest the zone
2. Murder
3. Take the zone

That's pretty much my method of thinking.

maintain a safe area near the splatzone.
pressure enemies away or kill them.
get sniped by a loving charger and lose the game. because my team can't reclaim territory.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The issue is people are so focused on killing they let the enemy team hold on to the point for waaaaay too long. There needs to be a balance between disrupting the zone and killing people.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Why not just put a deathmatch mode in?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wasabi goes with sushi

That's it? I expected something deeper.

With the current pair of unranked maps I think I'm in love with the Kelp Splat Charger. Head to the middle of the skate park or one of the sniping spots overlooking the middle of the other map (can't recall its name, the one where knee-jerk squidding can send you through the grates into water), drop a sprinkler, and Hand of God it up for kills and more paint coverage. They both need some assistance from the team (the skatepark perch is vulnerable and smart folks just run past the chokepoint and ink up your team's side) but it makes a nice little objective that pretty much dictates the battle, and it's a great vantage for Killer Wail shots. Once your area's inked up it's also glorious to use your sprinkler as bait. Drop it wherever you have good line of sight (and where there's enemy ink, of course) and splat anyone who goes to take it out. I get so many people doing that, but of course I'm only level 6 so I assume people learn sooner or later.

Judd's winstreak bonus coins, is that once per day regardless of streak level or once for each new tier? When does the day roll over for Judd/the alley dealer anyway?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

If you chase someone around a map to kill them you suck at the game. Killing is the undisclosed idea of ranked. You kill them, you now have like 5 seconds to cover area and make it impossible for them to just pop out of nowhere. Kill, cover, hide, repeat.

I'm with you here - it puzzles me so how these people are B ranked - but they continue to do their stupid poo poo like this and blind jumping into a clearly unsafe area

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

Judd's winstreak bonus coins, is that once per day regardless of streak level or once for each new tier? When does the day roll over for Judd/the alley dealer anyway?

You can get up to 1.4k coins from him per session. If you talk to him while "Toasty", you get 100. Talk to him while "Smokin'" after that, you get 300; on the other hand, if you didn't talk to him at all until then, you'd get 400. Same for the last rank, where you can get 1k, 1.3k, or 1.4k depending on if you claimed previous rewards from him or not. It rolls over for him whenever the maps change.

No idea about Spyke, haven't messed with him yet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Days clothing wise roll over at 1am central so I would assume then.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

I would pay good money for a splatzone mode that just bans chargers entirely. Nobody gives a poo poo about your positive K/D ratio if you just sit on a ledge sniping and don't contribute to capturing the point.

Also someone in-game just posted a suggestion for a capture-the-flag mode. I don't think I've ever suddenly realized I wanted something as much as right now.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

You can get up to 1.4k coins from him per session. If you talk to him while "Toasty", you get 100. Talk to him while "Smokin'" after that, you get 300; on the other hand, if you didn't talk to him at all until then, you'd get 400. Same for the last rank, where you can get 1k, 1.3k, or 1.4k depending on if you claimed previous rewards from him or not. It rolls over for him whenever the maps change.

If your rank falls before you talk to Judd, you'll still get gold based on your highest rank of the 4-hour map rotation period.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Bruceski posted:

That's it? I expected something deeper.

I think it's a visual pun more than anything.
Last boss spoilers:
He's grinding wasabi, which looks like this. It's like DJing, I guess, so the devs just mixed the two.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I would pay good money for a splatzone mode that just bans chargers entirely. Nobody gives a poo poo about your positive K/D ratio if you just sit on a ledge sniping and don't contribute to capturing the point.

Also someone in-game just posted a suggestion for a capture-the-flag mode. I don't think I've ever suddenly realized I wanted something as much as right now.

I love Chargers. Every single sniper spot is either a grate you can shoot up through the bottom of or a ledge you can splash damage over or even just climb up the side of and flank. As long as you don't run straight at a Charger they're a lot of fun to kill

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Good chargers are insanely great on maps like mall and rig. Killing people makes it much easier to take and defend. Generally they shouldn't try to hard to ink the zone because they're not great at it, they should be creating opportunities for the people better at spreading ink.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they're not getting points

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

And a response to it

But thank you reminding me about my chili splatoon!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm still mad that I can't buy my inkling hairstyles, and that I can't reply to people on the plaza

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

The issue is people are so focused on killing they let the enemy team hold on to the point for waaaaay too long. There needs to be a balance between disrupting the zone and killing people.

Fair enough. Once this game gets a bit more organized I wonder how regulate these kinds things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's real bad to get tunnel vision in Splat Zones. I've seen players who only ever try to ink the zone and don't bother to build a broader base of their colour to fight in, and that's a way bigger mistake than over-focusing on kills. A team that takes the zones ASAP while they get surrounded by enemy ink is going to take a short early lead, then lose it and never get it back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Once people are able to actually team up and venture into ranked as a group, and thus organize, it'll more or less sort itself out by virtue of people doing the smarter thing winning more

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I feel like they should add another voice command to the d pad so I can yell "Witness It!" while I run my roller into a Splat Zone.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Once people are able to actually team up and venture into ranked as a group, and thus organize, it'll more or less sort itself out by virtue of people doing the smarter thing winning more

It's also a lot easier to overcome tunnel vision when you're playing with friends or goons and not just random nerds

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

oopsie rock posted:

If your rank falls before you talk to Judd, you'll still get gold based on your highest rank of the 4-hour map rotation period.

Roland Jones posted:

Good to know, thanks.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Bruceski posted:

With the current pair of unranked maps I think I'm in love with the Kelp Splat Charger. Head to the middle of the skate park or one of the sniping spots overlooking the middle of the other map (can't recall its name, the one where knee-jerk squidding can send you through the grates into water), drop a sprinkler, and Hand of God it up for kills and more paint coverage. They both need some assistance from the team (the skatepark perch is vulnerable and smart folks just run past the chokepoint and ink up your team's side) but it makes a nice little objective that pretty much dictates the battle, and it's a great vantage for Killer Wail shots. Once your area's inked up it's also glorious to use your sprinkler as bait. Drop it wherever you have good line of sight (and where there's enemy ink, of course) and splat anyone who goes to take it out. I get so many people doing that, but of course I'm only level 6 so I assume people learn sooner or later.

Neat to hear some strategy talk in the thread! Since today was the first time I didn't have any gear to level up, it was also the first time I decided to try choosing a new weapon based on the map rotation instead of just going with the Splattershot Jr.

Bruceski's ideas above about good locations for the Kelp Splat Charger also apply to long range shooters, like the Squelchers. I used the Dual Squelcher to good effect on both the Mall and the Skatepark in Turf Wars, albeit ran out of ink all the time because I had no Ink Saver gear. There are good high locations to reach the different areas of the map.

I want to get good with chargers and other weapons I haven't used a lot, but I need to get better at are aiming in general and specifically aiming down from high ground (I always end up shooting the edge of the platform instead of down off the platform). Also, even though Turf Wars is for fun, I'm concerned about dragging teams down while I learn the ropes of new weapons. Anyone have any advice on this stuff?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I noticed today on the Equip screen that the first info box for each weapon displays how many points you've gotten from inking turf with it!

I've inked over 100k with the Aerospray RG. :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I want to use the ink brush in ranked but getting matched with a team made up of nothing but rollers and other ink brushes is pretty lame.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I guarentee this will be taken down

http://imgur.com/a/MohDh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I want to use the ink brush in ranked but getting matched with a team made up of nothing but rollers and other ink brushes is pretty lame.

Walk backwards and fire, you spray pretty far in front of yourself.

• Locked thread