Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
there are currently some herbs on my desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Anyone use elementary? I liked it, mostly because it was as close to Mac I was getting on that pos Lenovo laptop

Now I use xfce cause whatever I'm either in full screen chome or multiple terminals.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i really hate the swipe clock screen that gnome shits out whenever my laptop goes to screensaver or sleep

linux on the rhetorical tablet environment that noone wants

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

u don't need to swipe at all, just type. if it bothers you it should not be hard to janitor away

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ya i usually press escape to get it to gently caress off

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u can literally Just Start Typing without pressing any modifier keys. at least thast how it is on my excellente UBUNTU GNOME

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

u can literally Just Start Typing without pressing any modifier keys. at least thast how it is on my excellente UBUNTU GNOME

did you ever find out how to do those foreign accent letters?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ya just start typing ur password into a box u can't see yet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Valeyard posted:

did you ever find out how to do those foreign accent letters?

i believe u haveto assigfn a "compose" key which i havent done yet but ive had this tab open for a few days now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

ya just start typing ur password into a box u can't see yet

ya. exactly. by the time the pane thing is half way up ive already mashed enter and im flying into the coolscape of teh GNOME 3 desktop envinront

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
the new gnome lock screen is outrageously bad ui of the most offensive sort. it gives you absolutely no loving cues (visual or otherwise) that you can just start typing. it doesn't even give you a cue that you can swipe the screen away and this is especially bad because it does this even on non touch screen computers where nobody in their right mind starts click-and-dragging random bits of the screen to see what happens (at least if it was actually on a tablet youd see some poo poo move when you brushed the screen by accident or intent)

for that matter it doesn't really show whats going on at all, it's basically just a blank screen, last i saw it (which was on fedora 21). our users hated it.

what planet are gnome people on that this was actually shipped? who thought it was a good idea?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

wait i bet i know what happened

they took the pundits (lol) who claimed apple was tablet-izing os x seriously, and cargo culted that new ui paradigm without actually bothering to obtain an oh ess ex computer and check out how it actually worked before copying how they thought it worked

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BobHoward posted:

it doesn't even give you a cue that you can swipe the screen away

the upward moving arrow graphic is this cue + it's self evident imo. just swap it out for xscreensaver or whatever if it's a problem

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BobHoward posted:

wait i bet i know what happened

they took the pundits (lol) who claimed apple was tablet-izing os x seriously, and cargo culted that new ui paradigm without actually bothering to obtain an oh ess ex computer and check out how it actually worked before copying how they thought it worked

they pretty clearly copied Windows (badly), it behaves like a parody of Windows 8

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

OldAlias posted:

the upward moving arrow graphic is this cue + it's self evident imo. just swap it out for xscreensaver or whatever if it's a problem

yet this cue is something that you never see anywhere else in gnome, why would any reasonable person know wtf its trying to indicate

if they'd wanted to keep the stupid interstital while at least maintaining some semblance of consistency with the rest of the UI, they'd have been better served by a big X in the upper right corner like any other dismissable window would have

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 7, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh good point

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
You can press a button or click anywhere to make it go away. It seems p simple imo.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

OldAlias posted:

wtf are you talking about reasonable people in the desktop linux thread. arrow goes up, swipe up. pretty fuckin straight forward i'm not sure what brain malady would prevent understanding this

my severe brain malady prevented me from even perceiving the arrow because there was not actually an arrow on fedora 21

maybe 22 added one but even so it's still pretty lovely design because while you can expect people to know an animated arrow on a lock screen is a cue to swipe w/ yr finger (thanks to 8 years of iphone+clones), we're talking about ui which is presented to people on non touchscreen systems

(also even minimalist-to-a-fault apple tries to put more than just an arrow on their touch screen devices. text is quite helpful)

Rahu posted:

You can press a button or click anywhere to make it go away. It seems p simple imo.

i am the furthest possible thing from a ui designer. i don't even write ui code, i'm a low level hardware bit jockey, and even i can see that these are lovely awful incompetent designs. yes yes it's simple lol even the no-arrow-at-all fedora 21 lock screen only confused me for a few seconds, but i'm a nerd.

i provide user tech support for elderly relatives and this kind of thing can confuse the everliving gently caress out of them for hours. it's poo poo like this which reinforces my desire to never ever inflict a linux on them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
For reference the screen shield was going to have more things and be more useful in general but it hasn't worked out that way. We're looking at removing it in the next version

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also the arrow has literally been there since the initial code land in Fedora 19. We haven't touched it at all

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BobHoward posted:

maybe 22 added one but even so it's still pretty lovely design because while you can expect people to know an animated arrow on a lock screen is a cue to swipe w/ yr finger (thanks to 8 years of iphone+clones), we're talking about ui which is presented to people on non touchscreen systems
yeah, i remoted into a fedora workstation and i had to click and drag the lock screen up. lol terrible. why couldn't i just type in the user password and press return?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

GNOME 2 was fine. what the gently caress happened?

speaking generally, not about GNOME 3 specifically

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 8, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

For reference the screen shield was going to have more things and be more useful in general but it hasn't worked out that way. We're looking at removing it in the next version

thank you and please do this

its seriously like the trend-following uis of this decade were all wrapped up into a single senseless frame

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'd seriously like to hear a justification, from anyone at microsoft or the fedora project, of what a lock screen shield does for a desktop computer

because for the life of me i just can't figure it out

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

babies havin rabies posted:

GNOME 2 was fine. what the gently caress happened?

speaking generally, not about GNOME 3 specifically

Gnome 2 was forked and lives on as Mate, and is still more or less the same as you remember. The Gnome 3 crew decided to pursue what they feel is a more modern user interface. I think underneath gnome 3 has attempted to resolve a lot of the pain for developers by removing whatever legacy cruft, with the aim of making code easier to write and maintain.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean the architecture of gnome 3 is pretty cool but fundamentally it's all underpinned by glib/gobject

while it makes language bindings easier than doing the framework in c++, if you're programming in c then u gotta poo poo like two pages of boilerplate just to declare a loving class and i mean ain't nobody got time for that nonsense

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive heard of a lot of oss people say qt is better than gtk, and as someone whos had to deal with qt before, jfc thats gotta be a loving low bar

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xforms should be enough for anybody

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BobHoward posted:

the new gnome lock screen is outrageously bad ui of the most offensive sort. it gives you absolutely no loving cues (visual or otherwise) that you can just start typing. it doesn't even give you a cue that you can swipe the screen away and this is especially bad because it does this even on non touch screen computers where nobody in their right mind starts click-and-dragging random bits of the screen to see what happens (at least if it was actually on a tablet youd see some poo poo move when you brushed the screen by accident or intent)

for that matter it doesn't really show whats going on at all, it's basically just a blank screen, last i saw it (which was on fedora 21). our users hated it.

what planet are gnome people on that this was actually shipped? who thought it was a good idea?

i was like "buh.. what!?" for half a second and then i figured it out when i hit any key. it was such a horrible experience of the most offensive sort

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

actually to be fair it was qt being used in a non-UI setting (lmao did you know there's a "QTcpSocket"?)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BobHoward posted:

quoting for accurate user experience from real users

have mercy on their souls

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

i mean the architecture of gnome 3 is pretty cool but fundamentally it's all underpinned by glib/gobject

while it makes language bindings easier than doing the framework in c++, if you're programming in c then u gotta poo poo like two pages of boilerplate just to declare a loving class and i mean ain't nobody got time for that nonsense

yeah their solution was to apparently come up with a new language wasn't it - Vala ?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Vala looks cool but it's gonna need a lot more tooling before it's pleasant to use (like say an LLVM or Clang or whatever frontend so that you can actually debug the poo poo)

there's also Seed, which binds JavaScriptCore (not V8 for whatever reason) to GObject and that looks kinda neat too but I think hardly anything uses it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

i'd seriously like to hear a justification, from anyone at microsoft or the fedora project, of what a lock screen shield does for a desktop computer

because for the life of me i just can't figure it out

its like those butterflies that have big 'eyespots' on their wings

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive heard of a lot of oss people say qt is better than gtk, and as someone whos had to deal with qt before, jfc thats gotta be a loving low bar

It's in relation to portability, Gnome on Windows is a bit of a cesspool. I'm sure it isn't great on OS X either.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MrMoo posted:

It's in relation to portability, Gnome on Windows is a bit of a cesspool. I'm sure it isn't great on OS X either.

o thats true, cross-builds were indeed pretty straightforward

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

G_DECLARE_FINAL_TYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

Xaw should be enough for anybody