Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
dae feminist frequency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
In news that shouldn't surprise anyone, owning cats is hazardous to your health.

CBS posted:

Cat parasite linked to mental illness, schizophrenia

Everyone loves cuddling with kittens. But there can be a little-known danger lurking behind that furry little face and that innocent-sounding meow: a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii).

T. gondii is the most common parasite in developed nations, according to Schizophrenia Bulletin. The cat-carried parasite can infect any warm-blooded species, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates more than 60 million people in the U.S. may have it.

Most people never suffer any symptoms at all. But in those with weaker immune systems, infection with T. gondii can cause an illness called toxoplasmosis, which can result in miscarriages, fetal development disorders, weeks of flu-like illness, blindness and even death. It has also been associated with mental disorders including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Now two more studies explore the mental health issues in greater detail.

E. Fuller Torrey of the Stanley Medical Research Institute and Dr. Robert H. Yolken of Stanley Laboratory of Developmental Neurovirology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the link between infection with T. gondii and schizophrenia for close to three decades.

Their most recent study, published in Schizophrenia Research, along with researcher Wendy Simmons, compared two previous studies that found a link between childhood cat ownership and the development of schizophrenia later in life with an unpublished survey on mental health from 1982, 10 years before any data on cat ownership and mental illness had been published. Results of the analysis indicated that cat exposure in childhood may be a risk factor for developing mental disorders.

"Cat ownership in childhood has now been reported in three studies to be significantly more common in families in which the child is later diagnosed with schizophrenia or another serious mental illness," the authors reported in a press release.

In a second recent study, A.L. Sutterland from the Department of Psychiatry at the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam and colleagues analyzed the findings of 50 published studies to confirm that T. gondii infection is associated with mental disorders. The research was published in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.

Results showed that an individual infected with T. gondii was almost twice as likely to develop schizophrenia. They also found an association with addiction and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but say that the findings should be approached with caution.

"In schizophrenia, the evidence of an association with T. gondii is overwhelming," the authors say in a press release. "These findings may give further clues about how T. gondii infection can possibly [alter] the risk of specific psychiatric disorders."

The Humane Society estimates there are 75 to 80 million pet cats and another 30 to 40 million stray or feral cats roaming the United States. Outdoor cats have an increased likelihood of infection with T. gondii. Cats excrete millions of infected eggs, or oocysts, in their feces, which can remain in soil or water for years.

Fortunately, there are precautions that cat lovers can take -- you don't have to limit your feline contact to watching cat videos on YouTube.

"Children can be protected by keeping their cat exclusively indoors and always covering the sandbox when not in use," Torrey told CBS News in an email. The CDC also recommends changing the cat's litter box daily, since T. gondii does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in feces. In addition, avoid feeding cats raw or undercooked meat.

Because toxoplasmosis is especially hazardous to unborn babies, health officials recommend that pregnant women avoid cleaning litter boxes, if possible, or wear disposable gloves and wash hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Brb kicking my cat out of the house

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I get all my news from House of Cards. When are we getting more Not Putin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bNhdtfX10

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002

smertrioslol posted:

All my news comes from this thread :ohdear:

No lie, I first learned that Osama got killed from cruising TFR at 2am.

Urzza fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 7, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Spicy Guacamole posted:

In news that shouldn't surprise anyone, owning cats is hazardous to your health.

Cats cause Autism?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still read the news papers.

That's old media isn't it?

gently caress.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

RIP me, I've got 3 of them.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I've been looking for an excuse to issue a coup de grace with a .22 revolver on my fucktards. This might be it.
But the voices are telling me to get more cats so...

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

smertrioslol posted:

There are worse places. Not many, but they're out there.

Personally I alternate between stormfront and the advocate

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Urzza posted:

No lie, I first learned that Osama got killed from cruising TFR at 2am.

I learned about Bin Laden getting smoked from WoW trade chat.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I learned about bin laden getting smoked the next day when a 6 year old cousin asked why it was a big deal. Then we had ice cream.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

I learned about bin laden getting smoked the next day when a 6 year old cousin asked why it was a big deal. Then we had ice cream.

We stepped up the security posture of our boat so I learned about Bin Ladin's death 3 hours after going to sleep when I was awoken to fill a watch vacancy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I learned about osama dying when I was jerking off with an american flag right after I aced him

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i learned about osamas death when i put 77 grains of justice through the towel wrapped around his head

-a sof marine

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i learned about osamas death when i put 77 grains of justice through the towel wrapped around his head

-a sof marine

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

This but actually for real.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I just go through the BBC :shobon:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wanna marry this chick in texas chainsaw

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pretty sure we did a half day after Osama got whacked and 1SG brought in boatloads of Busch Light. It's 1SG's beer, though, so you're definitely gonna drink up and not express your opinion of his choice of beer.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

wanna marry this chick in texas chainsaw
I'd marry her and live in the Sawyer mansion with her and Jed. He'd be like our puppy, a 300 pound chainsaw wielding cannibalistic puppy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

WarpedNaba posted:

I just go through the BBC :shobon:

I used to follow Al Jazeera English quite a bit, but I've been lazy. Also haven't checked out AJ America, I assume it sucks because it's aimed at Americans.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like the small/long wars journal, BBC, aljazeera, defense news and Google news is for real not bad if you tweak the settings

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've found that I care far less about the news now that anything scrolling across the ticker is unlikely to involve me having to deploy to a 3rd world country on short notice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is an interesting idea. One of the later ones was a D-Day episode, so I ran across it on a history board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1kDZTxinRI

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This might've been posted already. A visual interpretation of civilian and military deaths from WW2.
https://vimeo.com/128373915

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was on watch in CIC when we found out. We were some of the last people on the ship to find out because our NIPR terminal was down and there wasn't poo poo about it in SIPR chat until it was on CNN.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

This might've been posted already. A visual interpretation of civilian and military deaths from WW2.
https://vimeo.com/128373915

That's an insanely interesting video.

Those Soviet deaths just kept going and going :stare:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

70 million dead in 6 years.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

That's what happens when you grossly mismanage a war for at least half of your involvement. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Not necessarily. We hosed up the entirety of OIF and that lasted twice as long.

There's no doubt in my mind Soviet deaths were a lot higher than that.

That presentation is loving insane. So good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Godholio posted:

I used to follow Al Jazeera English quite a bit, but I've been lazy. Also haven't checked out AJ America, I assume it sucks because it's aimed at Americans.

My current manager is a p devout christian, I suspect that looking up heathen propaganda sites during my lunch break might count as serious misconduct.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

poo poo, we used to watch it in the mission planning room on deployment. It was hands-down the best tv news we had access to.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Coffeehitler posted:

That's what happens when you grossly mismanage a war for at least half of your involvement. :shrug:

The Russian way always has been to keep throwing bodies at what ever they don't like.

See the Winter War where they wound up trading 300,000 in casualties to gain roughly 20 feet* of Finnish territory.

* - the following figure is an exaggeration. but not by much.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Genocide Tendency posted:

The Russian way always has been to keep throwing bodies at what ever they don't like.

See the Winter War where they wound up trading 300,000 in casualties to gain roughly 20 feet* of Finnish territory.

go read a frozen hell if you havent already :stare:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Genocide Tendency posted:

My favourite story from this war was the Finns painting their roads white to look like snow and having Russian paratroopers miscalculate and go splat.

Oh, and also the Russians had rifles with trigger guards too small for their gloves so a whole poo poo load of them lost fingers to frostbite when they had to fight gloveless in sub zero temperatures.

:ussr:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also lol at you poors who don't get your news from the Economist.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

My favourite story from this war was the Finns painting their roads white to look like snow and having Russian paratroopers miscalculate and go splat.

Oh, and also the Russians had rifles with trigger guards too small for their gloves so a whole poo poo load of them lost fingers to frostbite when they had to fight gloveless in sub zero temperatures.

:ussr:

You would think the Russians would understand this, living in a lovely cold country that has stopped armies before just because of their winter, but no.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I'm reading they lost about 15% of their population. On a population base of the US, that's equivalent to liquidating the entirety of:
  • Oklahoma
  • Puerto Rico
  • Connecticut
  • Iowa
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Utah
  • Kansas
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Nebraska
  • West Virginia
  • Idaho
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • Rhode Island
  • Montana
  • Delaware
  • South Dakota
  • North Dakota
  • Alaska
  • District of Columbia
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I'm reading they lost about 15% of their population. On a population base of the US, that's equivalent to liquidating the entirety of:
  • Oklahoma
  • Puerto Rico
  • Connecticut
  • Iowa
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Utah
  • Kansas
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Nebraska
  • West Virginia