Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Razzled posted:

Kousaka Kumiko isn't happening?

gently caress this straight earth.

it will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

Kousaka Kumiko isn't happening?

gently caress this straight earth.

It is. That's why everyone's mad.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Also the angry haruhi fans, and that one gif of a free dude flying out of a wave and hip-thrusting in the face of a haruhi fan

I want the #1 Haruhi Fan video, but I can't find it. Anyone got a link?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNR9JFP_TU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, been trying to remember the name of this anime movie. I'm pretty sure it has "blue" in the title. It takes place in the grim dark future where most people on earth live on the surface in squalor, whereas a small elite live in flying space stations above. There's a scene early in the movie where one of the elites comes down to talk to the people personally. He wears a suit and a mostly blank mask. In the English dub version he calls the protagonist a "little bug" for standing up to him. The protagonist later gets inducted into some military or something and he rides on a huge ship/tank or something. I watched on OnDemand almost ten years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Can anyone identify this one for me?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blue Gender if the earth is overrun by bug alien things.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Sakurazuka posted:

Blue Gender if the earth is overrun by bug alien things.

This one has no aliens or giant robots(?). Also, it's just a straight up movie, no series or manga behind I don't think.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The chat thread is talking about shoujo stuff, but whenever I search batoto for shoujo all I can find is the couple manga I already know (ore monogatari and nukoduke) and manga with some of the worst art I've ever seen.

Please recommend me some good shoujo, preferably comedy and/or romance.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
House of the Sun.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rose of Versailles (I don't know how much of the manga is translated!)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

junjou drop and otomen are top tier and if you like nukodoku you'll probably like gakuen babysitters too

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I recommend Last Game, second House of the Sun (Taiyou no Ie, what everyone's posting in the chat thread), and also give a shout-out to my favorite shoujo series, Fruits Basket. They're all a decent mix of comedy and drama.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

junjou drop and otomen are top tier and if you like nukodoku you'll probably like gakuen babysitters too

All three of these look really good, thank you.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I recommend Last Game, second House of the Sun (Taiyou no Ie, what everyone's posting in the chat thread), and also give a shout-out to my favorite shoujo series, Fruits Basket. They're all a decent mix of comedy and drama.

Taiyou no Ie looks good, but is the harem tag on Fruits Basket accurate? I don't really like that genre.
Last Game's summary sounds really fun though, definitely reading that.

GorfZaplen posted:

Rose of Versailles (I don't know how much of the manga is translated!)

I watched the anime of this a long time ago!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Linnaeus posted:

Taiyou no Ie looks good, but is the harem tag on Fruits Basket accurate? I don't really like that genre.
It's not accurate. There's sort of a love triangle for a while in FB, but it's resolved about 2/3 of the way through. FB is real good and you should read it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

Last Game's summary sounds really fun though, definitely reading that.

It's harem-ish in that there are a lot of pretty boys, but very few are actually supposed to be potential romantic interests for our female lead. Its opening chapters go a bit harder in that direction, but the bulk of the series doesn't feel like a harem at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Linnaeus posted:

Well, it has one female main character living with a bunch of guys, some of which who are love interests, so kind of? It's probably not what you're thinking of, at least. Anyway it's a pretty great series.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun / My Little Monster is another great relatively recent shoujo in the same sort of vein as Taiyou no Ie. Those two are probably my favorites of the last several years, mostly because they didn't overstay their welcome.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, Kaibutsu-kun finished? I lost track of it a dozen or so chapters into it, but I was enjoying it. I'll have to read it from the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, and ended hella strong too.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

One day my life will be like a harem anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, and ended hella strong too.

Haru has the most accurate aspergers ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

The chat thread is talking about shoujo stuff, but whenever I search batoto for shoujo all I can find is the couple manga I already know (ore monogatari and nukoduke) and manga with some of the worst art I've ever seen.

Please recommend me some good shoujo, preferably comedy and/or romance.
akatsuki no yona

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bonnouji

It's not shoujo but it's better than shoujo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

akatsuki no yona

Looks good to me, thanks. The guy in white on the cover has a crazy looking hand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

Looks good to me, thanks. The guy in white on the cover has a crazy looking hand
that's his specialty

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some other shoujo i thought of: koukou debut (old favorite of mine), Akuma ga Kitarite and Tonari no Atashi

i also suggest watching the anime of tonari no kaibutsu-kun over the manga and watching the barakamon anime which technically isn't shoujo, but might as well be (containing so many hot guys and cute kids)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why watch the My Little Monster anime when it just stops halfway through the story?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

because its better than the manga and you can always just continue by reading that afterwards?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, you just phrased it like it could be watched entirely instead of

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it has one female main character living with a bunch of guys, some of which who are love interests, so kind of? It's probably not what you're thinking of, at least. Anyway it's a pretty great series.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun / My Little Monster is another great relatively recent shoujo in the same sort of vein as Taiyou no Ie. Those two are probably my favorites of the last several years, mostly because they didn't overstay their welcome.

Does the manga go past the anime? I just finished watching the anime a few days ago, and the ending felt kind of meh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Which one, Fruits Basket or Kaibutsu? I guess it doesn't matter because the answer to both is yes.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Nate RFB posted:

Which one, Fruits Basket or Kaibutsu? I guess it doesn't matter because the answer to both is yes.

Ah sorry Kaibutsu / My little monster. But that's good, was not happy with that ending.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I enjoyed what I've read/seen of His and Her Circumstances (on the recommendation of this thread) and Nodame Cantabile. One's a little more screwball than the other.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

His and her circumstances is fantastic until Anno jumped ship. Sooo the last like 5 episodes are middling and the last episode is loving garbage trash.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Knights of sidonia is like attack on titan but done right. Because it's in space and it has straight up badass mechs instead of slightly interesting but utterly useless schizo-tech.

Boot attack on titan out of "best anime of the decade" slot and put this in. Even though Anime like psycho-pass and parasyte exist and both make AoT and KoS look like standard fare. Which they both are.

I really think Attack on Titan is overrated and so by the numbers it's embarrassing to give it anything more than an above average. Knights of Sidonia isn't exactly leagues ahead but it avoids so much poo poo that AoT has and is just better in many ways.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

none of those are anime of the decade

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
then what is

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Chihayafuru

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chihayafuru, the tatami galaxy, kyosougiga, madoka magica and ping pong are all good candidates

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

We still have another 4 1/2 years to go too.

Cake Attack posted:

chihayafuru, the tatami galaxy, kyosougiga, madoka magica and ping pong are all good candidates

Adding tatami galaxy, kyosougiga, and ping pong to my backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

littleorv posted:

Adding tatami galaxy, kyosougiga, and ping pong to my backlog.

If it helps these aren't super long either. Tatami Galaxy is 11 episodes (only seen the first ep, will revisit), Kyousugiga with 10 proper episodes (there's ep 0, ep 5.5 is live-action and examines some elements, and 10.5 a recap of the entire series), and Ping Pong is also 11 episodes.

• Locked thread