Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

You can 'uhhhh no' me all you want. What I do is I look up recent sold auctions for the same model, price a little below that, always sells in 7 days, sometimes even higher than I expected. My laptops fall off my bed sometimes, I've sold at least 3 like this. People don't care - or at least, people care, but SOME don't.

I work in a store that buys and sells used macs, and you're kidding yourself if you think most people don't care. Sure, some don't, but dents and imperfections definitely affect the pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

...with dual mobile GPUs. I would be all over it.
Already comes with a GPU, only need to add one more! Possibly externally if Apple supports external GPUs (a big if).

fleshweasel posted:

I don't see that big of a deal in replacing an all-in-one computer with another all-in-one when it's time to upgrade, but I haven't actually done it myself.
If the iMac fits what you want I don't see a big issue with it either, it's just if you don't want something about it your only options are way higher or lower. For me part of it is wanting a different screen and more inputs to work with, and I know others want better GPUs.

A nice benefit of going lower with the Mac mini is that they're easy to repurpose into other uses...as niche as that is to do I imagine (and easy enough with other cheap boxes nowadays). I have one as an HTPC and been playing with another for some simple server duties that I used to run off my primary machine (which got annoying when I had to restart).

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

fleshweasel posted:

I don't see that big of a deal in replacing an all-in-one computer with another all-in-one when it's time to upgrade, but I haven't actually done it myself.

It's a huge waste? You get stuck with lovely mobile GPUs and have to pay for the same monitor again and again and again.

japtor posted:

They were alright when it was announced and released, the problem is that it happened in 2013 and hasn't been updated since.

The 7970 was great when it came out but it was not a high end card in December 2013. It's 'alright' in the same way that Intel HD Graphics is 'alright'. Buying one in December 2013 might be a good option for $200. Might.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 6, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

enMTW posted:

The 7970 was great when it came out but it was not a high end card in December 2013.
Do you not understand the meaning of the word alright? No one is claiming it was a high end card.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

enMTW posted:

I only see value in utilitarian computers.

Beep beep mr robot.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do you not understand the meaning of the word alright? No one is claiming it was a high end card.

When you (Apple) are claiming that it's a GPU worth a thousand dollars, it needs to be actually high end and not a gaming card from January 2012. Lots of people (including people here!) were under the impression that the card is a thousand dollar+ FirePro and it just isn't.

It's 'alright' in the way that Intel HD is alright - and just the D700. The D300/500 are stupid slow, incapable of much of anything. Which is fine. Some people don't need powerful GPUs. The problem is that everyone is paying for two 'real' GPUs and getting ancient gaming cards instead.

Typically FirePros/Quadros are variants of gaming cards. ECC ram, higher clock rate, more ram, different connectors etc. In the new Mac Pro, D300/D500 are only different in that the memory controller has been changed - no additional performance, no additional ram. All changes seem to relate to the reduced size of the GPU. The D700 is exactly the same as one variant of the 7970.

That isn't acceptable TO ME. If you don't mind, you don't mind.

Boiled Water posted:

Beep beep mr robot.

Yeah you're right that's totally what I said.

Not wanting to throw out the same monitor year after year, paying for the privilege = I'm a robot. Beep boop.

People like you shouldn't exist. Or, at the very least, not post. If you disagree with me, say something meaningful instead of desperately trying to be reductive.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 6, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, you don't have to *throw away* the monitor, and certainly not every year... iMacs hold their value... But I don't see the benefit to the cost either (I already have a monitor and peripherals!)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

enMTW posted:

It's a huge waste? You get stuck with lovely mobile GPUs and have to pay for the same monitor again and again and again.

It's not as though you're taking the cash cost of the display and lighting it on fire. You get most of the money back in resale and come back with this year's slightly improved display.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

fleshweasel posted:

It's not as though you're taking the cash cost of the display and lighting it on fire. You get most of the money back in resale and come back with this year's slightly improved display.

It's still a waste either way. The LCD panel very infrequently changes - it's seldom ever improved. I'm not lighting money on fire, but I would much rather be able to separate the purchase of the display from the purchase of the computer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Totally useless request:

I accidentally blew away the nifty custom drive icon for my WD Passport Pro thunderbolt drive. Does anyone have one and can send me the icon? The WD software doesn't restore it unfortunately and googling didn't turn up anything.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

enMTW posted:

Yeah you're right that's totally what I said.

Not wanting to throw out the same monitor year after year, paying for the privilege = I'm a robot. Beep boop.

It sounds like you would never buy an imac and for some reason you're angry or annoyed with people who would do it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shaocaholica posted:

Totally useless request:

I accidentally blew away the nifty custom drive icon for my WD Passport Pro thunderbolt drive. Does anyone have one and can send me the icon? The WD software doesn't restore it unfortunately and googling didn't turn up anything.

My instinct here would be to dig into the WD software's application bundle, looking for the icon, and then copying and pasting that on to the drive's icon.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

It sounds like you would never buy an imac and for some reason you're angry or annoyed with people who would do it.

Point me to where I said that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People are just giving you poo poo man. You don't have to want an all in one desktop. It is a bummer that Apple doesn't make a mac desktop with high end consumer desktop hardware in it. I honestly would recommend building a hackintosh if you want such a thing badly enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

People are just giving you poo poo man. You don't have to want an all in one desktop. It is a bummer that Apple doesn't make a mac desktop with high end consumer desktop hardware in it. I honestly would recommend building a hackintosh if you want such a thing badly enough.

God I would buy that so hard.

A non-all-in-one desktop, that wasn't a workstation-class monster but basically the desktop equivalent of the i7 rMBP. A machine I could use to run a bunch of Fusion Pro VMs for a home lab for networking. Something that could handle Logic Pro and Photoshop for hobbyists and dabblers and won't poo poo their pants when trying to do something complicated.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

fleshweasel posted:

http://i.imgur.com/OpBsN0W.png

flosofl posted:

God I would buy that so hard.

A non-all-in-one desktop, that wasn't a workstation-class monster but basically the desktop equivalent of the i7 rMBP. A machine I could use to run a bunch of Fusion Pro VMs for a home lab for networking. Something that could handle Logic Pro and Photoshop for hobbyists and dabblers and won't poo poo their pants when trying to do something complicated.

YES

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 7, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, not even PC manufacturers want to build reasonable gaming PCs. It's the strangest thing. It's not as though people who play games are a minority of twisted freaks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It'd because the margins suck and the market for that kind of thing is really small.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

1st AD posted:

It'd because the margins suck and the market for that kind of thing is really small.

You're confused again. The margins on high-end parts (970-Titan X, good ram, good SSDs, enthusiast processors) are nice. The low end parts, not so much. Extra true when you have to assemble it into a product to sell.

Apple could do it 'their own way' with Apple branded upgrade parts, OS X Installers prompting users with 'Sorry, your machine can't run this new OS without a new GPU <link>' and whatnot. They just choose not to, because getting people to toss away perfectly good displays every cycle is cheaper or something.

Apple could charge whatever they want...

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly, not even PC manufacturers want to build reasonable gaming PCs. It's the strangest thing. It's not as though people who play games are a minority of twisted freaks.

I figure most of the market either builds their own or buys a laptop, where they can't. It's a lovely situation.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing? I don't think a Titan X is really a typical enthusiast purchase, it really is more of a prosumer purchase along with a high end i7.

And what OEM is going to make big margins on a Titan X going into their desktop?

Also don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are needlessly combative in the way you respond to people and it makes you come off a lot worse than I think you intend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

enMTW posted:

You're confused again. The margins on high-end parts (970-Titan X, good ram, good SSDs, enthusiast processors) are nice. The low end parts, not so much. Extra true when you have to assemble it into a product to sell.

Apple could do it 'their own way' with Apple branded upgrade parts, OS X Installers prompting users with 'Sorry, your machine can't run this new OS without a new GPU <link>' and whatnot. They just choose not to, because getting people to toss away perfectly good displays every cycle is cheaper or something.

Apple could charge whatever they want...

I figure most of the market either builds their own or buys a laptop, where they can't. It's a lovely situation.

Compare the population of PC gamers to:

1) computer users in general
2) console gamers
3) people who need relatively beefy machines for non-gaming applications (media editing, etc.) Note that that is becoming more and more prevalent as the bar to entry for putting together a not-terrible looking video gets lower and lower. You don't need a studio to put together a not-terrible Youtube video with intro etc or create a passable DVD, but all that can be kind of a chore on a machine that meets the bare minimum for running the editing software.

Now, consider that one of Apple's huge things is simplifying the diversity of hardware that they need to make sure their OS's and programs run on. Their target isn't the guys who want to change out their video cards every year and have no problem popping open their computer to put in a new hard drive, it's the people who just want reliability and don't really care to spend too much of their time optimizing their hardware.

Are there mac uses who do that stuff? Obviously, this thread is full of people who buy two year old hardware so they can upgrade the hard drives and get more bang for their buck than new retail. But the average person walking into an Apple store at the mall is going to give you a blank look if you start getting excited about the PCIe improvements between this year's and last year's MBPr.

Their goal isn't to cater to the 1% of the population that has these specific desires, it's to squeeze as much money out of the other 99% as possible.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

1st AD posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing? I don't think a Titan X is really a typical enthusiast purchase, it really is more of a prosumer purchase along with a high end i7.

And what OEM is going to make big margins on a Titan X going into their desktop?

Also don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are needlessly combative in the way you respond to people and it makes you come off a lot worse than I think you intend.

We're talking about computers with actual power. High end I7s, $400 GPUs, the like. Titan X is a bit extreme, but i would like the option to pick one.

You're saying silly stuff yet again. High end parts + good design + Apple quality support = charge whatever you want. I don't know what you are talking about with this 'prosumer' nonsense., that is an invented term. The Titan X is a high end gaming card - the highest end at the moment. It is not 'pro' anything. There are gaming cards and there are Quadros. Quadros are for specific professional workloads to the exclusion of gaming, the Titan X is for all other workloads - including, you know, throwing graphics on the screen from an OS. Driving 5k monitors, etc.

I'm not the one being combative. I said 'I would like this' and an army of stupid people came out and argued it as if it is an objectionable opinion, like I'm somehow inviting a fight by saying 'here's what I want'.

I started being mean to you, I think, the third time in this discussion that you said something that is not true. I'm a human; I only have so much patience. I gave Boiled Water even longer, only to have him kickstart the fight by attacking me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Compare the population of PC gamers to:

1) computer users in general
2) console gamers
3) people who need relatively beefy machines for non-gaming applications (media editing, etc.) Note that that is becoming more and more prevalent as the bar to entry for putting together a not-terrible looking video gets lower and lower. You don't need a studio to put together a not-terrible Youtube video with intro etc or create a passable DVD, but all that can be kind of a chore on a machine that meets the bare minimum for running the editing software.

Now, consider that one of Apple's huge things is simplifying the diversity of hardware that they need to make sure their OS's and programs run on. Their target isn't the guys who want to change out their video cards every year and have no problem popping open their computer to put in a new hard drive, it's the people who just want reliability and don't really care to spend too much of their time optimizing their hardware.

Are there mac uses who do that stuff? Obviously, this thread is full of people who buy two year old hardware so they can upgrade the hard drives and get more bang for their buck than new retail. But the average person walking into an Apple store at the mall is going to give you a blank look if you start getting excited about the PCIe improvements between this year's and last year's MBPr.

Their goal isn't to cater to the 1% of the population that has these specific desires, it's to squeeze as much money out of the other 99% as possible.

No one is really talking about gamers here. The problem with the iMac for my use case is that I can get it with the high end CPU I want but only crappy mobile GPUs and no PCI-E slots. Which is partially fine - I don't expect PCI-E slots in an all-in-one. I don't expect to have no other options either, but here we are.

I'm not going to argue what people need and don't need. Upgradability = this computer is viable longer. It is inherently a good thing and, to me, outweighs the benefits a sealed design has.

Your presenting a false reality - it is both possible to do an all-in-one computer that deserves to exist (isn't sealed) and to do a 'traditional' desktop that measures up to the rest of Apple's products in terms of appearance.

If you're already spending 'powerful computer' money on an iMac, to not get the power you are paying for is just a straight loss. Very little is gained by it being thin, but you lose any posiblity of GPU power. That machine is going to be non-viable to use at a point in the future and it will be because of the weak GPU. If it were a proper computer, the user could pop off a cover and perform a very simple operation - made simpler by Apple with the old Mac Pro, even - and keep using it.

There is a moral obligation to not rip people off. If you have the ability to offer a better experience (longer usable life = better) without a real world downside (there is no benefit to making the iMac 20% thinner - no one is moving it from place to place, it doesn't need to fit in a bag or whathave you - no new use cases are enabled by the design) it is right, it is required to offer that better experience. To say nothing of how it is possible to offer a 'door' that reveals a socketed MXM GPU. They soldered the GPU to the board, but they didn't always do that (though they never put a 'door' on the iMac or sell replacement MXM GPUs for that matter) and there isn't a whole lot (if any) benefit to the user in doing so. Any thinness gain is surely outweighed by the cost to the user of replacing the entire logic board when/if the GPU fails.

You can walk into an Apple Store and get what you need to make a Mac Pro from 2008 a great machine to use today. You can run HiDPI monitors on it, SSDs, anything, and that is without a strong push from Apple.

If Apple were to do the right thing, you would be able to get a small computer from them with a matching monitor. Clearly labeled parts sit in PCI-E ports. Tool-less. Buy new thing from Apple (OS tells you what you need) and put it in when it's time for an upgrade. Anyone is capable of performing that operation, and Apple could make this happen.

You could also get that all-in-one that everyone likes, with a memory door on all models. An MXM door, or maybe a removable back 'cover' with the user-upgradable parts exposed.

Instead they sell sealed machines and Mac Pros with 7970s for a $1000 upgrade option - which makes it the most expensive 7970 in the world. Which is fine, charge anything you want.

The problem is that there is no way to get a real GPU at any price.

The iMac 5k, which is one of several computers I own, ships with a GPU that is not powerful enough to drive the 5k display it has. You can pick between two obsolete AMD mobile GPUs at time of purchase, but neither have any business driving a 5k display. Today, right now, that computer drops frames doing transitions in Yosemite. That's on Apple. They did that, they did that by choice. They did that to sell a new one in two years and that's not loving acceptable.

They're going to shove the 970m/980m in it and say 'it's so much faster than last years model' and it will be true but true by choice - they choose to use low-end AMD chips over the mobile 970/980 that have enough power to perform the operation at hand.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

enMTW posted:

There is a moral obligation to not rip people off

Hah holy poo poo no there isn't. No one is forcing people to buy anything. If the price is lovely fewer people will buy it.

In fact, you could very reasonably argue that Apple has an obligation (although a fiduciary one not a moral one) to maximize its profits for the shareholders.

Morality means gently caress all when it comes to pricing consumer goods.

I will agree that upgradability is a nice thing. I personally wish that the laptops etc didn't have soldered ram. Someone at apple decided, however, that they could sell more if they did all the poo poo possible to make their machines as thin and light as possible, and unfortunately that appears to include non-removable hardware.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hah holy poo poo no there isn't.

If that isn't something you believe then there is no common ground between us so you should bow out now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cyrano4747 posted:

I will agree that upgradability is a nice thing. I personally wish that the laptops etc didn't have soldered ram. Someone at apple decided, however, that they could sell more if they did all the poo poo possible to make their machines as thin and light as possible, and unfortunately that appears to include non-removable hardware.

The use of soldered RAM in notebooks allowed for a noticeable reduction inside that allows an argument to at least be made that it aids in the notebook's primary purpose: to be portable.

There is no defensible reason for soldering the RAM in the Mac mini, and as enMTW pointed out, various changes to the iMac to make it as thin as possible are silly given it's meant to be stationary in the same location.

Now I don't agree with the comment about morality and ripping people off because people need to be responsible for their own stupid actions at some point. The moral obligation argument could be made instead on the grounds of environmental concern and that given at general usage rates the computer hardware in the iMac will fail before the display will, it's morally questionable to treat the display as so readily disposable. However since this is "MURICA" and all, this type of materialistic waste happens so much across all industries that it's impossible to just single Apple out over it.

Ultimately people have been wanting an upgrade able headless iMac for over a decade now and it's not going to happen because Apple knows that cheaper upgradable hardware is not in their best interest profit-wise but please let's just stop trying to defend them at all costs. Apple would gladly gently caress any of us over for an extra bit of profit just as Microsoft, Google, GMC, GE, or any other company would.

And the whole notion of maximizing profit for shareholders at all costs is such a morally bankrupt concept in and of itself and given what it does to people's lives, let's be better than that here.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

SourKraut posted:

The use of soldered RAM in notebooks allowed for a noticeable reduction inside that allows an argument to at least be made that it aids in the notebook's primary purpose: to be portable.

There is no defensible reason for soldering the RAM in the Mac mini, and as enMTW pointed out, various changes to the iMac to make it as thin as possible are silly given it's meant to be stationary in the same location.

Now I don't agree with the comment about morality and ripping people off because people need to be responsible for their own stupid actions at some point. The moral obligation argument could be made instead on the grounds of environmental concern and that given at general usage rates the computer hardware in the iMac will fail before the display will, it's morally questionable to treat the display as so readily disposable. However since this is "MURICA" and all, this type of materialistic waste happens so much across all industries that it's impossible to just single Apple out over it.

Ultimately people have been wanting an upgrade able headless iMac for over a decade now and it's not going to happen because Apple knows that cheaper upgradable hardware is not in their best interest profit-wise but please let's just stop trying to defend them at all costs. Apple would gladly gently caress any of us over for an extra bit of profit just as Microsoft, Google, GMC, GE, or any other company would.

And the whole notion of maximizing profit for shareholders at all costs is such a morally bankrupt concept in and of itself and given what it does to people's lives, let's be better than that here.

I'm with you here. Sealed ram on notebooks = good, in terms on making the machine thinner. DIMMS/DIMM 'slots'/etc are huge. Apple sort of stumbled at the start of their usage of soldered ram in Pro laptops (The MBPR 15" should have always had 16gb of ram standard) but they fixed their mistakes pretty quickly.

The moral argument is easier to connivence people of than the environmental one. For lots of real (normal users, non-enthusiast) there are no other options. Windows is virus land, you can't get well designed/built computers at any price, etc. Apple is all there is.

Yep. With you again.

Oh god yes gently caress 'maximizing value for the shareholders' and all the evil that comes with it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The problem is that the vast majority of people don't upgrade their computers even if it is physically possible to do so. You wouldn't actually reduce waste by making the iMac upgradeable because almost no one would do it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

ShadeofBlue posted:

The problem is that the vast majority of people don't upgrade their computers even if it is physically possible to do so. You wouldn't actually reduce waste by making the iMac upgradeable because almost no one would do it.

Right, but Apple could make it simple and desirable for people to do so. When 10.15 comes out and the GPU X iMac shipped with is no longer supported, the Mac App Store can pop up with 'Hey, you need an upgrade. Click button. when the user attempts to download the new OS. The user gets transferred to a nice little website showing them options, laid out in a 'better than what you had before, lowest price'/'extra power for games or whatever?' fashion.

Part comes in the mail, you spin the iMac around, pop the MXM door, remove the GPU just like you remove RAM, put new GPU in, pop the cover back on and boot.

They could have a whole 'What you need for OS X Weed' section in the store, with staff able to see what Mac you have/what is required for your machine thanks to Macs being registered to your Apple ID etc etc.

Bonus, Apple would be the exclusive (legal, anyway, excluding MacVidCards and such) provider of these parts.

I haven't stripped an iMac 5k down but it appears to me that there is a lot of internal space doing nothing on models that have an SSD as opposed to a Fusion Drive (yes, the default configuration of a $2,500 computer has a spinning disc in it). I suspect a socket would be possible; The iMac aren't as tight inside as the rest of Apple's lineup.

Other benefits exist too, like a user being able to perform a repair in their home (if the GPU were to fail, in this instance) instead of having to mail a massive computer to Apple for service.

The question, I guess, is how much you are willing to pay for a door? If there is a thinness cost, what is it worth?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 7, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That could be their business model. But it isn't.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

That could be their business model. But it isn't.

I am aware. Don't come back in here and pretend to have something meaningful to say to me after your shameful showing earlier.

What part of 'don't defend Apple at all costs' do you not understand? Do you just enjoy carrying water?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 7, 2015

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
All I want is a Mac desktop without a monitor with performance somewhere between a Mini and Mac Pro. iMac specs without the screen would be perfect. At least a Mini that is as powerful as a maxed out 15" rMBP (can't believe this isn't an option). Bonus points if it is a form factor that can handle a decent load without causing the fan to scream (but I'll take a screamer over nothing).

It sucks that if I want to bring my own monitor and don't want a Mac Pro, my next best option (performance wise) is a 15" laptop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's not like the iMacs have a trash screen. You can even still do dual monitors, I really see no value in a midrange Mac sans monitor.

Your cheapest entry point is the Mac Mini, $500 and bring your own lovely Acer TN panel.

Your general purpose mac for 85% of the target audience is the iMac. Good display, good hardware, sleek package.

Mac Pro for ... Pros.

If you REALLY need to BYO Display on a high end consumer market then max out the Mini but what's the loving point.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FCKGW posted:

If you REALLY need to BYO Display on a high end consumer market then max out the Mini but what's the loving point.

You get to complain about customizability on an Internet comedy forum :v: .

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

enMTW posted:

I'm not the one being combative. I said 'I would like this' and an army of stupid people came out and argued it as if it is an objectionable opinion, like I'm somehow inviting a fight by saying 'here's what I want'.

Oh my god, dude.

You need to step away from the 5K iMac and any of the several other computers that you own and maybe just...go outside. Have a quiet moment to just *be present* in your environment.

And then maybe try to gain a little bit of self-awareness that might clue you in on why absolutely nobody in this thread likes you.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh my god, dude.

You need to step away from the 5K iMac and any of the several other computers that you own and maybe just...go outside. Have a quiet moment to just *be present* in your environment.

And then maybe try to gain a little bit of self-awareness that might clue you in on why absolutely nobody in this thread likes you.

Again with the Apple defense league. That is the most stupid post from you people yet. Way to go. I'd report it, but I don't have plat.

FCKGW posted:

It's not like the iMacs have a trash screen. You can even still do dual monitors, I really see no value in a midrange Mac sans monitor.

Your cheapest entry point is the Mac Mini, $500 and bring your own lovely Acer TN panel.

Your general purpose mac for 85% of the target audience is the iMac. Good display, good hardware, sleek package.

Mac Pro for ... Pros.

Not for nothing, but you can't do dual monitors that match.

That is a terrible machine - 4gb of ram, a MacBook Air processor and no expandability - not even ram! Way to assume that anyone who owns a monitor owns a crappy one, too, or that's what I even care about - I'd be willing to buy an Apple monitor if they made a good one.

The hardware is not good - the CPU is. It is not sleek on account of not being expandable. Please define how a user-accessible rear door makes it less sleek, considering how the computer already has one.

The Mac Pro is a pro level computer with ancient gaming GPUs. Try again. Or, you know, don't and just accept what I say as reality and move on.

Boiled Water posted:

You get to complain about customizability on an Internet comedy forum :v: .

It's incredible how you aren't even able to describe what I'm posting yet you object to it so strongly to my posting that you continually attack me for it.

Not customizability. Upgradability. So I can get a computer with a GPU powerful enough to drive the display it came with. Or maybe so the computer, monitor and all isn't sitting in a landfill in 5 years.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 7, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Mommy daddy please stop fighting

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus loving christ, there is a difference between disagreeing with you and being a tireless white knight for Apple. Do you want to start talking about all the stupid and silly poo poo apple does? All the stuff that we don't like? We can all sit around and circle jerk over the lackluster new keyboard in the Macbook, the way their power adaptors tend to get beaten to poo poo, or how it'd be really nice if they didn't charge so much for upgrading drive capacity. This forum is full of the people you're yelling at talking about the pros and cons of all sorts of apple hardware.

People are just observing that what you want isn't their current business model and I have no idea why you are flipping out so much about it. They don't sell what you want. If you care this much write an email to Tim Cook suggesting that he make the machine you want or go build a hackentosh.

Also you really don't have much room to whine about people having bad arguments when you're entire rebuttal to an idea is "I don't agree with you so stop talking to me."

Personally I'm still laughing my rear end off that you think that there is a moral obligation to sell goods cheaply.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 7, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus loving christ, there is a difference between disagreeing with you and being a tireless white knight for Apple. Do you want to start talking about all the stupid and silly poo poo apple does? All the stuff that we don't like? We can all sit around and circle jerk over the lackluster new keyboard in the Macbook, the way their power adaptors tend to get beaten to poo poo, or how it'd be really nice if they didn't charge so much for upgrading drive capacity.

People are just observing that what you want isn't their current business model.

Also you really don't have much room to whine about people having bad arguments when you're entire rebuttal to an idea is "I don't agree with you so stop talking to me."

Personally I'm still laughing my rear end off that you think that there is a moral obligation to sell goods cheaply.

You are welcome to disagree with me, but that's not what's happening. I say 'I want thing, here's why I want thing' and I get nothing but 'I agree, I also want thing' and white-knight straight up stupid arguments against thing.

That isn't relevant to me wanting thing.

There's no point in discussing things with someone who shares no common ground with you.

That isn't something I said. I think the core problem here is that I am much smarter than you and you are unable to do simple tasks like read a loving post and interpret it, yet you insist on fighting.

Point me to where I said 'that there is a moral obligation to sell goods cheaply'. I'll wait, just like I waited for the last five people who accused me of saying things I did not say.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 7, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

enMTW posted:

Again with the Apple defense league. That is the most stupid post from you people yet. Way to go. I'd report it, but I don't have plat.

:allears:

There isn't a single mod on this entire site who would read your post history and side with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Splinter posted:

It sucks that if I want to bring my own monitor and don't want a Mac Pro, my next best option (performance wise) is a 15" laptop.

So get the 15" rMBP! It's fantastic, cheaper than a Mac Pro, and you can take it places! :D