Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah through an amp, but currently i don't have one... and it might be months until i get one. I use the TMA-1's at max volume through my phone, it's not that loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is the stuff that comes up on Massdrop any good?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

evobatman posted:

Is the stuff that comes up on Massdrop any good?

Some good stuff some stuff that is polarizing or people have opinions about and some crap.
More importantly sometimes things are a good deal on Massdrop and other times things can be found cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere. Buyer beware, especially with shipping charges on Massdrop stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Some good stuff some stuff that is polarizing or people have opinions about and some crap.
More importantly sometimes things are a good deal on Massdrop and other times things can be found cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere. Buyer beware, especially with shipping charges on Massdrop stuff.

Also the fact that it takes a long damned time to get stuff from Massdrop

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Captain Cool posted:

Budget - Hoping for $50-100, but I can stretch that if the benefits are there
Source - PC onboard sound
Isolation Requirements - Yes please
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural, wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-V6 (love these), Beyer DT770 (sound great but they give me a headache after half an hour), Koss portables
Preferred Music - For these headphones, ambient, post-rock, acoustic

My new job is in a lab with a lot of variable fan noise in the background. Sound quality is less important than comfort and isolation. I don't usually listen to music at work, but I'd still rather have a half-decent set of wireless headphones than just earmuffs.

I'm not a fan of in-ear headphones. Earplugs and earbuds never seem to fit me right and I'd like something I can take off quickly.

Is there anything in particular I should look for, or should I just go by Amazon ratings? I see they have the Sennheiser RS 120 in my price range, and there's a massdrop going on for the Meelectronics Matrix2 which has good ratings.
I found these two writeups:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-home-theater-headphones/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-on-or-over-ear-headphones/

Looks like the RS 160 at $120 is the best recommendation. Now I need to decide if I want to spend that much on something I'm going to plug into a laptop and not listen to very much.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I just joined the drop for a pair of K7xx's, which would be my first set of high quality cans. Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of amp to get with this pair?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If you're trying to stay cheap and want decent amplification, schiit modi/magni stack.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Definitely considering that, and I will probably go with the Magni 2 - but does anyone have any experience with the Bravo 3 with this particular pair? I heard the warming characteristic of a tube amp helps the cold analytical style of the K7xx. Also, do I really need a DAC especially when I have a sound card?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

lollybo posted:

Definitely considering that, and I will probably go with the Magni 2 - but does anyone have any experience with the Bravo 3 with this particular pair? I heard the warming characteristic of a tube amp helps the cold analytical style of the K7xx. Also, do I really need a DAC especially when I have a sound card?

If you're using your sound card you probably don't need a DAC or an amp.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
It's high-end integrated, not discrete however.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

lollybo posted:

My main complaint with my Bravo is my cellphone interferes with it. I've been thinking about going to the Magni/Modi stack, just to get away from cell interference.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Funny about all the Schiit talk. I was thinking of buying new low-impedance headphones, but couldn't decide on what. So instead, I'll probably get a Magni 2 Uber to drive the high impedance cans I already have and otherwise like. If I do, I'll post a review here.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Update on the Vsonic IEMS: Klipsch tips fit on the IEMs except I can't insert them as far as when they're on the x10, which means it's not a good seal. The included dual flange tips create a bigger soundstage anyway, so I'm still satisfied despite decreased isolation. I just wish Etymotic wasn't the only option left, but not like I would've bought x10's again since they're definitely do poorly for durability.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

lollybo posted:

It's high-end integrated, not discrete however.

You won't notice a difference.

air- posted:

Update on the Vsonic IEMS: Klipsch tips fit on the IEMs except I can't insert them as far as when they're on the x10, which means it's not a good seal. The included dual flange tips create a bigger soundstage anyway, so I'm still satisfied despite decreased isolation. I just wish Etymotic wasn't the only option left, but not like I would've bought x10's again since they're definitely do poorly for durability.

You could try Comply tips, or third party memory foam or triple flange tips if you want more isolation.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 9, 2015

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Croc Monster posted:

Funny about all the Schiit talk. I was thinking of buying new low-impedance headphones, but couldn't decide on what. So instead, I'll probably get a Magni 2 Uber to drive the high impedance cans I already have and otherwise like. If I do, I'll post a review here.

I've got the Magni 2 Uber and it's pretty fantastic. I'm using it with HD600's and it honestly sounds incredible. Every time I listen to music through it I can't believe how good it sounds. It's really starting to bum me out actually, because I can't get my home theater to sound as good as these HD600's. Like it isn't even really close. And I just spent $1k on some new tower speakers.

Probably 90% of it is the HD600's but the Magni 2 Uber is ridiculous bang for the buck. If you don't need pre-outs the Magni 2 is probably almost as good.

I actually bought an Emotiva XDA-2 with plans to sell the Magni 2 Uber but the Magni just sounds better and drives these HD600s much easier.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 9, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Brain Issues posted:

I've got the Magni 2 Uber and it's pretty fantastic. I'm using it with HD600's and it honestly sounds incredible. Every time I listen to music through it I can't believe how good it sounds. It's really starting to bum me out actually, because I can't get my home theater to sound as good as these HD600's. Like it isn't even really close. And I just spent $1k on some new tower speakers.

Probably 90% of it is the HD600's but the Magni 2 Uber is ridiculous bang for the buck. If you don't need pre-outs the Magni 2 is probably almost as good.

I actually bought an Emotiva XDA-2 with plans to sell the Magni 2 Uber but the Magni just sounds better and drives these HD600s much easier.

I actually like the idea of the pre-outs to simultaneously feed my powered desktop speakers. Does the volume control affect the pre-outs as well, or only the headphone jack?

Sennheiser FTW. Using a pair of HD265 from back in the day. 250 ohm impedance, and they just looooooooooove power.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Croc Monster posted:

I actually like the idea of the pre-outs to simultaneously feed my powered desktop speakers. Does the volume control affect the pre-outs as well, or only the headphone jack?

Sennheiser FTW. Using a pair of HD265 from back in the day. 250 ohm impedance, and they just looooooooooove power.

Yeah the volume control does control the pre-outs, and the pre-outs are switched off if headphones are plugged in.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah the volume control does control the pre-outs, and the pre-outs are switched off if headphones are plugged in.

Ah thanks for the info. The latter, good. The former, ugh. THREE levels of gain stage now: computer out volume, magni volume, speakers volume. I guess I could just save $50 and simply plug whatever I'm using at the moment into the front of magni.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Croc Monster posted:

Ah thanks for the info. The latter, good. The former, ugh. THREE levels of gain stage now: computer out volume, magni volume, speakers volume. I guess I could just save $50 and simply plug whatever I'm using at the moment into the front of magni.

Are you not using a DAC? I just keep my Computer/DAC at 100 and use the Magni to control volume. Its nice having a physical knob to control anyway, it's much faster to make quick and precise adjustments.

My speakers I just keep around 70% volume and that's more than enough with the Magni turned up all the way.

Without a DAC I imagine you'd probably get a high noise floor with the computer volume at 100% though.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Brain Issues posted:

Are you not using a DAC? I just keep my Computer/DAC at 100 and use the Magni to control volume. Its nice having a physical knob to control anyway, it's much faster to make quick and precise adjustments.

My speakers I just keep around 70% volume and that's more than enough with the Magni turned up all the way.

Without a DAC I imagine you'd probably get a high noise floor with the computer volume at 100% though.

No, no DAC. I never really used the Senns with my computer before. Ran them through my home "stereo" which is a Mackie 1604 mixer and Event 20/20bas speakers. I've been thinking about adding a Modi as well for the very reasons you say. Aaaaaand down the rabbit hole I go.

e: and for $200 I could also just get really good low-impedance cans (say, Beyer 770 32 ohm), so I'm back at square one :downs:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Croc Monster posted:

No, no DAC. I never really used the Senns with my computer before. Ran them through my home "stereo" which is a Mackie 1604 mixer and Event 20/20bas speakers. I've been thinking about adding a Modi as well for the very reasons you say. Aaaaaand down the rabbit hole I go.

e: and for $200 I could also just get really good low-impedance cans (say, Beyer 770 32 ohm), so I'm back at square one :downs:

If you're happy with how your current headphones sound then buy the Magni and if you decide you need a DAC later on then add a DAC.

You can buy Modi's for ~50 shipped if you look at used ones.

My guess is that you will be happy with just the amp if you can live with the multiple volume adjustments.

Another option is buying the low impedance Beyerdynamics you're talking about from a place like Amazon where you have 30 days to return it no questions asked without paying any restocking fees or return shipping. If you like them, sell your Senns and you're good. If you don't, return them and buy the amp and you're out nothing at all.

Really though you need to know what kind of sound you're after or it is a never ending rabbit hole because you're chasing something but don't know what you're after. I knew what I wanted and I'm finally happy with my HD600s and Magni 2 Uber.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 10, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I thank you for all the help. Thread delivers! Will update when I pull the trigger on something.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Budget - $150
Source - My computer.
Isolation Requirements - Closed.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On/Over Ear
Past Headphones - Mostly whatever I came across.
Preferred Music - Dreamy electronic music and post rock.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I'm looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones, only to chill and watch movies/ TV with

Budget - $150 or under?
Source - My Sony Home audio Receiver
Isolation Requirements - Whatever I can listen to at a decent volume so it won't disturb my wife in the next room
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Do not care
Past Headphones - I have a pair of V-Modas, a pair of Monster turbine pro coppers, and a pair of the monster diesels that are my do not care if they get hosed up headphones, but alas, zero of their cords reach from my couch to the 1/4" on my receiver. I've had 4 pairs of sony MDRS that broke over and over, a pair of tecnics dj headphones that got jacked from the DJ booth, and a pair of shure IEMs that my wife let my dog eat.

Preferred Music - Probably none with these, just be able to make out what the shows/movies are saying.

For reference, I am a DJ and often get home much later that my wife, and sometimes need to chill and watch a movie to relax after work and would like to not disturb her.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I sold my car to help pay for some medical bills for my and my dad's dog (long story). I've been feeling pretty neutral the last month about it due to finances and whatnot. My friend won a huge sum of money in a card game, knew this, hands me some, and says, "buy the most ridiculous Veblen good you can think of."

Definitely makes me feel better. Dog recovered too. :unsmith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yeah dog!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Elderbean posted:

Budget - $150
Source - My computer.
Isolation Requirements - Closed.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On/Over Ear
Past Headphones - Mostly whatever I came across.
Preferred Music - Dreamy electronic music and post rock.

Hrm, tough call but maybe the Audio Technica A900x?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I sold my car to help pay for some medical bills for my and my dad's dog (long story). I've been feeling pretty neutral the last month about it due to finances and whatnot. My friend won a huge sum of money in a card game, knew this, hands me some, and says, "buy the most ridiculous Veblen good you can think of."

Definitely makes me feel better. Dog recovered too. :unsmith:

I love everything about this post

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Budget - $300ish
Source - Mostly iPhone, some computer
Isolation Requirements - Closed
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Don't care
Past Headphones - Sony MDR-V6 (too flimsy), Sennheiser HD280 (lost, but wasn't a fan of the comfort level, too tight)
Preferred Music - All sorts of stuff, don't want to pick based on genre

I'm currently looking at the PSB M4U 1 based on The Wirecutter's review but also considering the Sony MDR-1R because it would be cool to spend less and they sound comfy. Kind of thinking about the the Blue Mofi, but it sounds like they might be annoyingly bulky.

Any thoughts as between these, or is there any other similar choice I'm missing? I'm mostly going to be listening at the office or on the subway, so it's important that there not be much sound leakage. I have kind of a big head and big ears. I wear glasses. I don't want to gently caress with an amp. In-line control would be a major plus but not necessary.

e: Also thinking about the NAD VISO HP50

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Beats Solo 2 w/RemoteTalk cable

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Sony V6s are legendarily tough headphones. What were you doing with them that you thought they were flimsy?

Edit: Also you should seriously consider in-ears for your needs.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 18, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

grack posted:

The Sony V6s are legendarily tough headphones. What were you doing with them that you thought they were flimsy?

:shrug: The earpads started shredding and coming off almost as soon as I got them and one ear stopped working last week. I use them sitting at my desk or sitting/standing on the subway and

I have a pair of in-ear headphones, but over-ear is always going to sound better. I've used over-ear headphones for years, just looking to upgrade now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

:shrug: The earpads started shredding and coming off almost as soon as I got them and one ear stopped working last week. I use them sitting at my desk or sitting/standing on the subway and

I have a pair of in-ear headphones, but over-ear is always going to sound better. I've used over-ear headphones for years, just looking to upgrade now.

Uh... no, not true. Especially not closed cans, which is what you seem to want.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

grack posted:

I blew through a bunch of sony's, still looking for a recommendation from a couple posts up as well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Okay yeah I admit I hadn't really looked into higher-end IEMs at all and was unaware they were actually good. Mea culpa. Very tempted to spring for the Shure SE535. Is there anything around the $300 price point that delivers really good bang for the buck? Everything I read about the SE535 is glowing but if I can go a couple hundred bucks cheaper without a noticeable difference then I'd rather do that.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Okay yeah I admit I hadn't really looked into higher-end IEMs at all and was unaware they were actually good. Mea culpa. Very tempted to spring for the Shure SE535. Is there anything around the $300 price point that delivers really good bang for the buck? Everything I read about the SE535 is glowing but if I can go a couple hundred bucks cheaper without a noticeable difference then I'd rather do that.

Despite their snake oil cables, I have greatly enjoyed my Monster Turbines. Look around on Head-Fi if you'd like to see the glowing reviews. You can find NIB discontinued turbines for a song, and they have a pretty baller warranty: You get one replacement if you break them, and infinite replacements for life if there is a manufacturing defect. Make sure you buy them from an authorized retailer and save the receipt, and you have IEMs for life if you take care of them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

The Dunu DN-2000s sound absolutely amazing at the ~$265 price point. They're also goddamned bulletproof. http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/dunu-dn-2000/

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Piston 3s came in today, they're pretty good to me (I say this as someone who has never paid more than $60 for iems, and not skilled enough to realistically tell you if they're better than the 2s)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I picked up a pair of MDR-ZX770BNs at Costco today and I'm pretty happy with them. Pretty cool that both Bluetooth and noise canceling are available and they sound pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stringball posted:

Piston 3s came in today, they're pretty good to me (I say this as someone who has never paid more than $60 for iems, and not skilled enough to realistically tell you if they're better than the 2s)

I ordered a pair of 3s myself too. The 2s are seriously awesome. The best part of these Xiaomis I don't have to treat them like a newborn baby because they are so cheap to replace in case it goes kaput.