Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007
"I saw a stupid looking randomly generated monster the other day. Horrible creatures."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So what do, YOU people! Think should be done to better the game known as Starbound?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So what do, YOU people! Think should be done to better the game known as Starbound?

Stay the course, keep putting out minor updates once every 8 months for 9 more years until they run out of money.
Maybe take a year to move offices again in the next couple years.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
You know what's funny, my brain injected the irony after I was done reading your post.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I keep this thread in my bookmarks cause i keep hoping.... but then i see every update takes a potential fun idea and gates it behind extreme tedium and boring crap.

I think the worst part is that at one point starbound was better than terraria and then tiy decided that starbound needed to follow terrarias boring rear end grindy nature but be even worse.

Norn: please fire tiy. He shouldnt be allowed to touch the game anymore.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

grimcreaper posted:

I keep this thread in my bookmarks cause i keep hoping.... but then i see every update takes a potential fun idea and gates it behind extreme tedium and boring crap.

I think the worst part is that at one point starbound was better than terraria and then tiy decided that starbound needed to follow terrarias boring rear end grindy nature but be even worse.

Norn: please fire tiy. He shouldnt be allowed to touch the game anymore.

I enjoy playing this game with my children but on our server I add admin powers to myself and get us through all the quests that are mandatory, nobody likes the forced route that has taken place.

We still roam around the universe on our ships, that are even better now with expansion but it's still the same old same old same old same. The quests are not even fun to do so that's why we pass them, my kids enjoy collecting unique pets but then that stops as soon as you capture them. There are so many potentially awesome things in the game but none of it seems to be fully realized at all, beta or not.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

serious question though, is the game actually moving forward in any meaningful manner or are you just stuck adding fluff pieces forever?

serious answer: There's a lot of things moving forward at once right now that will ultimately tie into each other. There's big changes to combat, we just got the functionality to do a lot more interesting stuff with weapons now, the economy stuff is starting to come together with the pricing of items and buying/selling interface, the colony system is making good progress, the main story-line pieces are being put in place, with the main missions being worked on simultaneously, all the current quest stuff is placeholder for progression so that's getting a second pass on it soon. It depends a lot on what you consider fluff pieces.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

They very recently figured out how they want movement and combat to work in the game. After three years of working on it. but no, lack of direction isnt the problem.

Supernorn posted:

There's big changes to combat, we just got the functionality to do a lot more interesting stuff with weapons now,

lol nevermind guess i was wrong, still figuring it out

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Supernorn posted:

serious answer: There's a lot of things moving forward at once right now that will ultimately tie into each other. There's big changes to combat, we just got the functionality to do a lot more interesting stuff with weapons now, the economy stuff is starting to come together with the pricing of items and buying/selling interface, the colony system is making good progress, the main story-line pieces are being put in place, with the main missions being worked on simultaneously, all the current quest stuff is placeholder for progression so that's getting a second pass on it soon. It depends a lot on what you consider fluff pieces.

My questions were serious too and also needed to be answered.

This Q/A has been rigged. and Cicadas, I'm sorry, but you're a shill

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bring back sandmining supernorn, you have the power

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Bring back sandmining supernorn, you have the power

Not an emptyquote.
Sandsurfing was really nice, and a fun thing for cool people to do. It was the only thing that made desert planets cool or unique, and would go a long way towards currying the favor of people not from your echochamber forums.

Unrelated, but remember how flowing water had a current and could be pressurized in the hype trailers? Whatever happened to that, for it to get silently brushed under the rug in such a manner?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 7, 2015

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Bringing back sandmining would go against the direction of the game, which is to be as unfun as possible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cicadas! posted:

Not an emptyquote.
Sandsurfing was really nice, and a fun thing for cool people to do.

Imagine an entire planet of sand.

Also what Brussom said.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Imagine an entire planet of sand.

Also what Brussom said.

I miss sand mining so much..

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I miss good video games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dog kisser posted:

Hey I'm restarting work on the Peglaci because I want it to be done properly

Also I will never escape modding ever please kill me

I'll probably resume The Mantizi one of these days, but I'll wait until the next stable update since it fucks with NPCs and that's what I as doing last with the mod

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wasn't aware how unfun starbound was until I binged hard on Terraria recently. At this point if they literally just copy/pasted all the content from Terraria into Starbound, id be all over it again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria at least has the advantage of being a 'complete' game, which helps things a lot. there's a couple things i have beef with when it's concerned, but it's easy to overlook those things when i can at least play the game and enjoy myself. i'll definitely load it up once the update hits in like 12 days or some poo poo.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So apparently Starbound's playable now?
Is there a mod for spirited giraffe that automatically harvests crops?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it depends on whether or not you think alpacas make a game more playable

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I dont, infact i think it makes the game worse.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It doesn't run like rear end anymore, is my definition of 'playable'.
But I guess you don't like alpacas, huh?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

I dont, infact i think it makes the game worse.

You take that back... Alpacas are awesome.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Too bad it's been like 2 years since I purchased Starbound, and therefore, cannot use the Steam Refund System to gain back my dignity.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

lol earlier today I was looking through my game list and was like "I don't think I even have anything I'd want to get rid... OH gently caress, STARBOUND" before I remembered that it's outside the returnability parameters

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
what kind of goober is going to return a game on steam

you wait til its 8 bucks, and if it sucks, well sorry for being out 8 bucks. that's one less outing to chilis.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shiksa posted:

what kind of goober is going to return a game on steam

you wait til its 8 bucks, and if it sucks, well sorry for being out 8 bucks. that's one less outing to chilis.

But you don't understand! My dollars to entertainment ratio! The promises that were made! I NEVER GOT A CUM GUN!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Too bad it's been like 2 years since I purchased Starbound, and therefore, cannot use the Steam Refund System to gain back my dignity.

You lost that when you spent :tenbux: to post on this lovely forum.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Don't ask questions, just click this link.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

:vince:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can see the dark souls influence

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this legit owns

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
they should just steal the economy stuff straight from nom nom galaxy imo

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

New peglaci ship tiers, as part of my continuing Stockholm syndrome with this game.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

dog kisser posted:

New peglaci ship tiers, as part of my continuing Stockholm syndrome with this game.

Looks nice, please don't stop.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Ssthalar posted:

Looks nice, please don't stop.

Update including ships and updated racial object descriptions for vanilla coming out this weekend.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

dog kisser posted:

updated racial object descriptions for vanilla coming out this weekend.

You must be some kind of coding god to pull this off. Please offer your benevolent assistance to Chucklefish for the Novakids.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dog kisser posted:

For the larger ships you should maybe add a shortcut or access shaft on the far right

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dog kisser posted:

I like it. I thought it was some kinda fuckin megaship Death Star mod for a second though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

dragon_pamcake posted:

You must be some kind of coding god to pull this off. Please offer your benevolent assistance to Chucklefish for the Novakids.

I had help for over half of them by a goon actually - Zombie Samurai! Since then its just been playing catch-up with new objects.

Jackard posted:

For the larger ships you should maybe add a shortcut or access shaft on the far right

Wow yes that would be a huge pain in the rear end otherwise, good call.

• Locked thread