Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Does anyone know if I can upload all my photos from the last several years that are on my computer to Google Photos without it having count against my available space?

I'm doing that right now. 6,000+ photos to go!

If you have it set to resize any and all photos higher than 16MP and change videos higher than 1080p to 1080p, then you should be fine.

If you have it set as original, well you'll probably run out of space quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Does anyone know if I can upload all my photos from the last several years that are on my computer to Google Photos without it having count against my available space?

Use the computer google photos app and set the quality to unlimited

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A TB of google drive storage is $10 a month folks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Remember how we were complaining about how dumb it is that Google Keyboard doesn't sync personal dictionaries?
It does now!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm doing that right now. 6,000+ photos to go!

If you have it set to resize any and all photos higher than 16MP and change videos higher than 1080p to 1080p, then you should be fine.

If you have it set as original, well you'll probably run out of space quickly.

I got all 11k of my photos uploaded. There's a dozen .MTS video files it won't upload though and it's starting to piss me off. I guess I'll try transcoding them next to see if that works...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I had started to upload a shitload of old photos but its not reading the date created part of the file, and short of a program being able to do that for me on a massive scale, I guess they won't be uploaded.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor Butts posted:

I had started to upload a shitload of old photos but its not reading the date created part of the file, and short of a program being able to do that for me on a massive scale, I guess they won't be uploaded.

Do they have the DateTimeOriginal EXIF tag? GPhotos should just use that.

Do you have the date/time in the file or folder name? Surely there's a tool to automate parsing the file path and putting that into the DateTimeOriginal EXIF tag, but if there's not I'll whip something up quick-like.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Tweaking metadata: removed despite being a thing in G+ and Picasa, because Google

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if it came back.

A lot about Photos is obviously...I almost want to say rushed, but that's not quite right.

Rushed has an implication that the features that are there are broken or not working, whereas I think the features that are there work pretty well. I think they just didn't put in all of the features that they want yet because they wanted to release it in time for I/O. Like I'm pretty sure they've said the backend has the capability to allow you to tell it when two different faces are actually the same person, it's just that the UI isn't there yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I got all 11k of my photos uploaded. There's a dozen .MTS video files it won't upload though and it's starting to piss me off. I guess I'll try transcoding them next to see if that works...

I figured this out. The uploader won't upload files greater than 1GB in size. I'm like 90% sure that's the reason even though the uploader or its log file doesn't say anything about that.

The Picasa help points out this limit, and every file I have that is 1 GB+ will not upload, and every file that fails is one of those files...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it came back.

A lot about Photos is obviously...I almost want to say rushed, but that's not quite right.

Rushed has an implication that the features that are there are broken or not working, whereas I think the features that are there work pretty well. I think they just didn't put in all of the features that they want yet because they wanted to release it in time for I/O. Like I'm pretty sure they've said the backend has the capability to allow you to tell it when two different faces are actually the same person, it's just that the UI isn't there yet.

Yeah it just honestly feels half-baked. Even with the issues I have just had my family all switch to google photos because of the unlimited space + ease of sharing.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you haven't jumped on the Photos bandwagon, this article is spot on.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

If you haven't jumped on the Photos bandwagon, this article is spot on.

I've always wanted to be the person who keeps photos of stuff. Small memories and things like that and I never do. Maybe one day I'll remember to take more photos.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is Picasa the best way to upload things to Google Photos? I was originally just doing it from photos.google.com but it seems Picasa can just do it automatically if I somehow forget...

It seems that doing it via Photos is faster than PIcasa though...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Picasa the best way to upload things to Google Photos? I was originally just doing it from photos.google.com but it seems Picasa can just do it automatically if I somehow forget...

The article said something about a desktop uploader, and if you have Drive (at $10/mo for 1 TB, everyone should) just throw them in there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Photos has its own uploader program you can use, but I didn't have any issues with Picasa, other than not being able to figure out how to upload videos with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://photos.google.com/apps

Click Desktop Uploader.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh...for some reason, I didn't see this part of the article.

I'll use this then. Thanks everyone!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You were almost right, installing Picasa also installs the separate desktop uploader. If you remove Picasa it stays too

e:

I've been uploading my desktop photos over the last few days and have so many variations of this dancing space man gif now:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

You were almost right, installing Picasa also installs the separate desktop uploader. If you remove Picasa it stays too

e:

I've been uploading my desktop photos over the last few days and have so many variations of this dancing space man gif now:

There's an OP as gently caress Mk6 in there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like the way his nose pops out

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So are photos you put in to Google Photos automatically public or private? Also, when you save an animation/collage it auto generated to the gallery, is that automatically private or public?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

So are photos you put in to Google Photos automatically public or private? Also, when you save an animation/collage it auto generated to the gallery, is that automatically private or public?

Private. Also, private.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Am I hallucinating about Google Photos or is nearly every single feature that's "new" been in the app for 6+ months? Everyone is freaking out about typing in "injera" and seeing Ethiopian food pop up but I've been doing that for months...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Radbot posted:

Am I hallucinating about Google Photos or is nearly every single feature that's "new" been in the app for 6+ months? Everyone is freaking out about typing in "injera" and seeing Ethiopian food pop up but I've been doing that for months...

Now that it's uncoupled from Google+, the masses are using it. And the masses are idiots. They think individual Google employees are sitting in a cubicle tagging their sensitive dick pics. No.

gently caress the haters, Google Photos is incredible. Happily sold my soul to data algorithms.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Radbot posted:

No, most of it has been in there, its just that the app has a better UI now, and you don't have to install or use G+ to use it.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Thermopyle posted:

No, most of it has been in there, its just that the app has a better UI now, and you don't have to install or use G+ to use it.

Which also means that people who refused to use it because of G+, like myself, are trying it out and experiencing the features for the first time.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been using Touchdown HD for my work Email but I'm sure there are better applications out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

I've been using Touchdown HD for my work Email but I'm sure there are better applications out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nine

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
People really like Nine.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What am I doing wrong with Google Photos that I can no longer type in what I want to search for on my phone? When I used it the day the update/"new" app/whatever you wanna call it rolled out, I hadn't yet updated, and tapping the search icon let me input text. I now have the updated verison, let it back everything up to the servers and drive, but when I tap the search icon, I just get the options of People, Places, Things, and Types. I can't find anywhere that I can type in a search term.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kheldarn posted:

What am I doing wrong with Google Photos that I can no longer type in what I want to search for on my phone? When I used it the day the update/"new" app/whatever you wanna call it rolled out, I hadn't yet updated, and tapping the search icon let me input text. I now have the updated verison, let it back everything up to the servers and drive, but when I tap the search icon, I just get the options of People, Places, Things, and Types. I can't find anywhere that I can type in a search term.

Huh? In the default first view, the FAB is a search icon. You tap that, and the search field's at the top of the new screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Photos desktop app only uploaded 2,000 of my pictures/video. I had to do the manual upload to the site and it found 15,000 images...what.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

Huh? In the default first view, the FAB is a search icon. You tap that, and the search field's at the top of the new screen.

Ah! They don't delineate the search box, so I didn't realize it was there. Search is in light grey, on a white background. They need to add a black or dark grey border around the box.

Thank you!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Uh, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but there's no way low-bitrate mp3s could be responsible so so much data usage. Anyone know what could be causing this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do you know they're low bitrate? You might want to look at the file size of some of your podcasts. Or just turn on "only download over wifi".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Photos desktop app only uploaded 2,000 of my pictures/video. I had to do the manual upload to the site and it found 15,000 images...what.

If you right click the icon for the desktop app it should have an option for viewing which files failed if any failed. If it doesn't have that menu option, then it doesn't think any of them failed which makes me think there's a permissions issue where the app can't see your photos.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Dark One posted:

Uh, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but there's no way low-bitrate mp3s could be responsible so so much data usage. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Yeah that's seriously off. Even if all your podcasts were full on 320 kbit MP3s that'd be like 10 and a half days straight of audio in a single month.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

If you right click the icon for the desktop app it should have an option for viewing which files failed if any failed. If it doesn't have that menu option, then it doesn't think any of them failed which makes me think there's a permissions issue where the app can't see your photos.

Yah, the only things it failed on were videos that were 1GB+ (from my cameras and large Nexus 4 videos), but it claimed it uploaded all of the images at 2,000. I did a check and I do actually have about 15,000 and before I deleted everything to change the Date Taken and start over, I had more people in my People section of Search when uploading via the site vs the desktop app. I'm thinking it's probably a permissions thing too but I don't know what kind.

I'm uploading via the site now and it seems to be uploading a lot more pictures than it did via the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

The Dark One posted:

That is pretty dang high, I too listen to many podcasts and use beyondpod, I'm up to 17.37GB over the last month. I think I'd have to be listening to podcasts in my sleep to have that much data, except I do usually go to sleep with a playlist playing so I'm not sure what the cause might be for you.

• Locked thread