Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

You've been with them 10 years and the new contract term law kicked in today.

They want to retain you.

Ok that's cool, I'm happy with them. Even happier with 7 gigs of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

You've been with them 10 years and the new contract term law kicked in today.

They want to retain you.

"Please don't leave me baby, I can change!"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I really haven't had a single issue with Rogers except somewhat high prices. But I need lots of fast data so the cheaper carriers are not an option.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm on my phone trying to win an argument over the internet here. Can anyone confirm that Sasktel is despised and charges higher rates for worse service than the telcos?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Saskatchewan isn't a real province.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I'm on my phone trying to win an argument over the internet here. Can anyone confirm that Sasktel is despised and charges higher rates for worse service than the telcos?
There's a reason why Koodo plans are cheaper in SK and that reason is Sasktel exists.

Also, every telco in this country is universally despised.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 5, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Are they the only one though? I'll take a consolation prize.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nope

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, poo poo. Are the big three's averages lower versus provinces without a government telecom?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah all three charge less if you live in SK/MB.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I've been with Tekus for five years and currently have 3 GB's, the my fave 5 thing, 15 mins long distance, voicemail+CID, and 250 mins+early evenings and weekends calls, as well as Text+sms for like 67$ a month(got some decent concessions from the loyalty dept. Over the years). What would be the best way to retain a similar plan and get up to 6 GB's? I'm one of the people who got released from my contract by the CRTC ruling, but I'm kind of new to the loyalty dept. Stuff (my mother did it before, she's good at that poo poo)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

So I've been with Tekus for five years and currently have 3 GB's, the my fave 5 thing, 15 mins long distance, voicemail+CID, and 250 mins+early evenings and weekends calls, as well as Text+sms for like 67$ a month(got some decent concessions from the loyalty dept. Over the years). What would be the best way to retain a similar plan and get up to 6 GB's? I'm one of the people who got released from my contract by the CRTC ruling, but I'm kind of new to the loyalty dept. Stuff (my mother did it before, she's good at that poo poo)

The only way you could get even close to 6gb at that price would be to do the Saskatchewan/Manitoba Koodo plan workaround.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

The only way you could get even close to 6gb at that price would be to do the Saskatchewan/Manitoba Koodo plan workaround.

I'd be willing to pay no more then like $75 and lose a feature or two, but yeah.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The SK Koodo workaround is unlimited voice + 5gb data and all the features for $55. You lose nothing.

If you bring your own phone you get another $5 off making it $50.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy smokes that's incredible. Guess I'm hitting up a kiosk this weekend.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
edit: rip my post.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Mister Macys posted:

This is pretty much the exact opposite of how things work. You are going to lose your argument.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone have recommendations for phones for rural areas?

I'm out of contract now and am looking for something better for where I am, west of Newmarket. I'm currently with Rogers with an HTC One M7. I switched to Bell and tried the Lumia 830 and the reception was much better, but I couldn't the Windows Phone OS so I Buyer Remorse'd it for an LG G3 (still on the Bell network) which had reception on par with my HTC with Rogers. I buyer remorse'd that too and reverted to Rogers since I wanted to keep my options open.

I've read that Motorolas have great antennas so I'm inclined to try the Nexus 6 but it's outside my budget. I can find lots of info on what carriers are purportedly better in any given area, but not much on which phones are good at holding a weak signal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Best reception I've ever had is with an iPhone.

That's compared to a Nexus S, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I've got a MB/SK Koodo plan with a 10% BYOD discount. I don't live in MB/SK.

What are the odds that I'll be able to sign up for a subsidized device, tack on the tab payment without the BYOD discount, and otherwise keep the plan intact?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aphrodite posted:

Best reception I've ever had is with an iPhone.

That's compared to a Nexus S, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5.

Are you insane?

No one has ever had good reception with an iphone.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The prices Koodo lists for US roaming look like extortion. Is there any other way to get coverage without popping out the SIM for an American one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Are you insane?

No one has ever had good reception with an iphone.

That's how bad those others are.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark One posted:

The prices Koodo lists for US roaming look like extortion. Is there any other way to get coverage without popping out the SIM for an American one?

Welcome to the world of roaming charges. Yes they are always extortion, that's the point.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Wind has US-wide unlimited text and data roaming with 2400 minutes talk for $15 a month. Too bad their coverage is so lovely in Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scudworth posted:

Welcome to the world of roaming charges. Yes they are always extortion, that's the point.

It's a scary bizarro world where Rogers is technically the best.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Wind has US-wide unlimited text and data roaming with 2400 minutes talk for $15 a month. Too bad their coverage is so lovely in Canada.

This means that Wind's coverage is officially better in the US than here. That's even more hosed up than that other company charging a base rate for literally nothing.

Canadian Cellular: It's Kafkaesque!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's WIND's ownership status now anyway? Their network aside I wasn't really keen on a telecom with Orascom / Vimpelcom controlling interest.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

I'm 3 days late but this is far and away from reality.

SaskTel is the only good thing about Saskatchewan. Cheaper, faster unlimited internet and better cellphone plans than the rest of the country and their customer service is moderately okay.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Are Canadians actually walking into Rogers etc stores and signing up for $90+ monthly plans for miserly amounts of data? Or is this a thing where the top level 'price' is whittled down by various perpetually recurring sales or incentives etc?

I was helping a family member look at prices for Rogers plans with decent phones, and they really are shockingly expensive these days (identical at the other carriers of course). Hard to imagine the average person getting on board with it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Most people aren't very technically literate nor do they study/follow the telecom industry like we do. So yes, they do. My ex used to frequently get ~$200 bills from Rogers because she'd use a stupid amount of data or long distance and I was just like "HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING!?"

But yes, people do.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There's also very little other choice. If you even mention that you're going to switch to a discount carrier like Koodo or Wind, you'll get an earful of reasons why it's a bad idea.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BANME.sh posted:

There's also very little other choice. If you even mention that you're going to switch to a discount carrier like Koodo or Wind, you'll get an earful of reasons why it's a bad idea.

Isn't Koodo a Telus subsidiary and as such uses their network? You might be thinking of Mobilicity, which would definitely be a bad idea since they're reportedly an rear end hair away from bankruptcy. I'm a Wind subscriber and as I've mentioned in this thread it's a very, very cheap network and the $15/mo unlimited US roaming plan is loving amazing, but the coverage is poo poo. I can't get a signal (or even roam) inside malls, Costco, sports arenas, etc.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Isn't Koodo a Telus subsidiary and as such uses their network?

They are and they do and their signal & coverage is impeccable. And they're still a discount carrier compared to others.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With a new smartphone subsidy you're still looking at $86 a month with Koodo.

They do have cheaper options, but then so do the Big 3 if you take a cheaper phone or bring your own.

Incidentally their website is broken right now and you can't browse the phones they offer. Quality carrier there.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Subsidizing phones is not something I understand the appeal of in this market, it's never made sense to me. :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scudworth posted:

Subsidizing phones is not something I understand the appeal of in this market, it's never made sense to me. :shrug:

Up until just a few months ago the plan pricing and piddling awful discounts on BYOD plans made subsidizing a phone a better choice financially for the consumer, even if it meant flipping the device and buying something else.

Now that all the carriers have rolled out their new plans for the CRTC mandated contract rollover the pricing structure has changed dramatically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's only recently that buying a phone outright has even been a thing.

It's still not possible for most phones. Especially in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Even if you buy them outright in Canada they'll be locked to the carrier. loving dumb.