Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Origin Award winners were announced. Unsurprisingly, D&D swept every category it's in solely on the weight of it being D&D.

And Kevin Siembieda got into the "Hall of Fame" because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The winners:

quote:

2015 Origins Awards Summary
Vanguard Award: Marvel Dice Masters
Vanguard Award: The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Best Board Game: Sheriff of Nottingham
Best Board Game, Fan Favorite: Dead of Winter
Best Card Game: Splendor
Best Card Game, Fan Favorite: Star Realms
Best Children’s, Family, & Party Game: The Hare and the Tortoise
Best Children’s, Family, & Party Game Fan Favorite: Gravwell
Best Collectible Card Game: Magic: The Gathering-Khans of Takir
Best Collectible Card Game, Fan Favorite: The Spoils
Best Game Accessory: Wings of Glory Mat
Best Game Accessory, Fan Favorite: Counter Ring

In Memoriam
Heather Barnhorst Walker
Konstantin Krivenko
Robert Coggins (HoF)
John Hill (HoF)

Best Historical Board Game: Heroes of Normandie
Best Historical Board Game, Fan Favorite: Heroes of Normandie
Best Historical Miniature Figure/Line: Sails of Glory Series 2
Best Historical Miniature Figure/Line, Fan Favorite: Sails of Glory Series 2
Best Historical Miniatures Rules: Sails of Glory
Best Historical Miniatures Rules, Fan Favorite: Sails of Glory
Best Historical Miniatures Rules:Supplement: Battleground Europe
Best Historical Miniatures Rules:Supplement, Fan Favorite: Flames of War: Barbarossa

Hall of Fame
Kevin Siembieda
Monte Cook
Talisman

Best Miniature Figure or Line: Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing
Best Miniature Figure or Line, Fan Favorite: Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing
Best Miniature Figure Rules: Golem Arcana
Best Miniature Figure Rules, Fan Favorite: Marvel HeroClix: Guardians of the Galaxy Starter Set
Best Role Playing Game: Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook
Best Role Playing Game, Fan Favorite: Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook
Best Role-Playing Game Supplement: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual
Best Role-Playing Game, Supplement Fan Favorite: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

...who actually owns Golem Arcana to have played it and vote it best?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Who knows? The award's pretty much a joke anyway because it's a straight-up popularity contest. If D&D or Pathfinder are in any category they're going to win solely because they have the biggest playerbase.

e: I just realized that there's only two RPG awards; core book and "supplement".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LO-loving-L if anyone sincerely believes the D&D Attack Wing happy meal dragons are the best thing that happened in miniatures this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I played Sheriff of Nottingham the other day, as far as I could tell it's just a straight-up bluffing game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

And Kevin Siembieda got into the "Hall of Fame" because

Despite all of Palladium's stumbles and mistakes, I don't see why he shouldn't get in.

Also, Heroclix? In YOOL 2015? Did they seriously improve the rules or something? (That doesn't seem likely, but I haven't paid attention.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

LO-loving-L if anyone sincerely believes the D&D Attack Wing happy meal dragons are the best thing that happened in miniatures this year.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, Heroclix? In YOOL 2015? Did they seriously improve the rules or something? (That doesn't seem likely, but I haven't paid attention.)

My LGS actually carries some Heroclix stuff next to the X-Wing, Armada, Dropzone Commander, Infinity, and WMH.

They don't have any D&D Attack Wing, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Despite all of Palladium's stumbles and mistakes, I don't see why he shouldn't get in.
I know, it's just weird seeing that given all his stumbles and mistakes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know, it's just weird seeing that given all his stumbles and mistakes.
He's kept a game company going and publishing for 35-plus years without interruption. It's the oldest going concern in the hobby. Chaosium has had crises and changed hands a bunch of times (and is going through one right now), FGU barely exists producing a trickle of reprints, same for Flying Buffalo, SJG is still going strong but I think Palladium predates them, TSR was eaten by WotC almost 20 years ago, and GDW and Avalon Hill and SPI are long gone.

Sounds like a hall-of-famer to me.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"Lasted longest among a string of failures" is basically this hobby.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
As I recall Siembieda basically pioneered licensed RPGs with TMNT and Robotech. Whatever his more recent crimes he played a formative role in the industry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, you're all right. I'm just annoyed because this is supposed to be one of the biggest awards in the industry but every RPG entry that's not D&D or Pathfinder might as well be "Nothing to see here" because they don't stand a chance, regardless of actual quality or originality.

I mean, I don't like The Strange, but it's at least trying to do something different. At the end of the day D&D is always going to be D&D, but it always wins for no other reason than it has the biggest playerbase.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I know a dude who runs a Heroclix league out in LA, so apparently there's still a market.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

He's kept a game company going and publishing for 35-plus years without interruption. It's the oldest going concern in the hobby. Chaosium has had crises and changed hands a bunch of times (and is going through one right now), FGU barely exists producing a trickle of reprints, same for Flying Buffalo, SJG is still going strong but I think Palladium predates them, TSR was eaten by WotC almost 20 years ago, and GDW and Avalon Hill and SPI are long gone.

SJG and FGU both predate Palladium as far as companies still run by their founders. SJG is a year older than Palladium.

Bucnasti posted:

As I recall Siembieda basically pioneered licensed RPGs with TMNT and Robotech. Whatever his more recent crimes he played a formative role in the industry.

I wouldn't go that far - there were a lot of licensed games beforehand - but I would credit TMNT, Robotech, and Rifts for getting a lot of people into the hobby. They haven't had a major impact on the hobby in the last two decades or so, but they were pretty influential for awhile.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I actually really enjoy HeroClix gameplay as an idea and I have enjoyed playing it quite a bit but gently caress all randomized collection miniatures

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
See now I'm just being reminded of the VA industry for video games.

It turned out that Troy Baker beat Troy Baker. What a crushing defeat for Troy Baker. At least Troy Baker is a stand up guy and likely took it well.

Congratulations, Troy Baker. Sorry for your loss, Troy Baker.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Alien Rope Burn posted:

When I was in Nevada, the only games that got played in the local shops were Heroclix, Magic, Pathfinder, and Yugioh. Couldn't find Netrunner or X-Wing games at all, but Heroclix probably had the second biggest events after Magic.

Also, I have literally never heard of The Spoils. I tried looking it up and I have no idea how it is even a thing. And Dead of Winter is one of the worst designed board games of the past year. When they say Fan Favorite I'm going to have to assume it was a web poll that somebody manipulated.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Since it's come up a couple times, FGU should really get more attention in this thread since as a company it exists almost entirely out of spite, because the founder kept selling backstock out of his garage to keep the rights from the games from reverting to the authors. It's basically TG as Industry in microcosm. Old weird grudges and amateur-grade legal and business shenanigans everywhere.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Evil Mastermind posted:

Chaosium just announced that the company has been taken over by Greg Stanford (the original founder), and Sandy Peterson (creator of CoC) is also back with the company.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757863-The-Great-Old-Ones-have-Returned-Chaosium

They said their first order of business is sorting out the issues with the CoC 7th Edition and Horror on the Orient Express kickstarters, which seem to be two years behind and/or having a ton of issues.

e: more detail here: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/28764-chaosium-change-of-management/#entry300608

Keeping my fingers crossed for Pendragon 6e.

(If anyone would be crazy enough to do it it would be Stafford)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I actually really enjoy HeroClix gameplay as an idea and I have enjoyed playing it quite a bit but gently caress all randomized collection miniatures

I've enjoyed Heroclix in the past but gently caress, I changed and though the ruleset has been revised numerous times since 2002, it hasn't changed in any foundational sense. Hell, I'm not sure it even saw any substantial revisions since 2012 or 2013; I have to wonder why it'd even be eligible.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Pendragon 6e.

(If anyone would be crazy enough to do it it would be Stafford)
5e is just fine and is getting regular supplements published for it (PDF/POD only, unfortunately).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FMguru posted:

He's kept a game company going and publishing for 35-plus years without interruption.
I've always thought this was kind of a bullshit point in itself, but even if Palladium had closed when it stopped being relevant, it would still be very important to the history of the medium.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've enjoyed Heroclix in the past but gently caress, I changed and though the ruleset has been revised numerous times since 2002, it hasn't changed in any foundational sense. Hell, I'm not sure it even saw any substantial revisions since 2012 or 2013; I have to wonder why it'd even be eligible.

Remember the hobby; you just answered your own question.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Spoils is a game I played at Origins. It is very similar to Magic, except:

1. All creatures have colorless casting cost but you need a threshold number of colored resources to play them.
2. Any card can be played face down as a colorless resource.
3. You can draw or play a resource fo free, and can pay resources to draw and play resources after that
4. No phases, so you can attack once, do stuff, attack again with more critters, etc.
5. Blockers tap to block
6. Blockers can block all creatures of the highest speed. Critters have speed - they attack in order of speed, and anyone of the same speed damages simultaneously, so a slower creature can deal damage to a player by having faster ones clear a path.
7. Everything is "humorous" by which I mean trying too hard to be funny.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
All RPG awards are now and have always been trash, but you don't see anyone putting the time/effort/money in to make a good one.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

ProfessorCirno posted:

It turned out that Troy Baker beat Troy Baker. What a crushing defeat for Troy Baker. At least Troy Baker is a stand up guy and likely took it well.

Troy Baker versus Troy Baker in a voice acting competition.. who will win? Answer: The Games Industry

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't go that far - there were a lot of licensed games beforehand - but I would credit TMNT, Robotech, and Rifts for getting a lot of people into the hobby. They haven't had a major impact on the hobby in the last two decades or so, but they were pretty influential for awhile.
Yeah, that's the big thing. Palladium legitimately did some innovative and influential stuff in the 80s and 90s, but in the 21st Century their major accomplishment has been somehow or other not going out of business.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FMguru posted:

5e is just fine and is getting regular supplements published for it (PDF/POD only, unfortunately).

It's the PDF/POD only that I hope gets dealt with, in all honesty. I want a nice physical copy of the Book of Nobles and whatnot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

They even picked two nearly-identical "gravelly-voiced thug who babysits a girl" roles.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah Kevin Siembieda may deserve to be in the hall of fame simply for managing to stay employed with the same company for this entire time. I mean, seriously, has anyone else actually made it from the ~dawn to the now (the twilight) of role-playing games?

Oh, FMGuru kind of nailed that point with authority. Maybe they are hoping by giving him a lifetime achievement award he will retire! Though I have enjoyed some of his books solely for the random tables contained therein.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I do not know too much, but I know that the things they have been releasing in the last couple of years since the company was sold have been getting pretty good reviews, and from what I understand they ARE always doing at least moderate rule revisions. Though "fan favorite" kind of makes the necessity of any real changes questionable.

I really liked HeroClix back when there were only like 100 total figures and the games took so long that you inexorably found yourselves narrating the goings-on in-character to kill time. Everyone did that, right

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Quarex posted:

Oh, FMGuru kind of nailed that point with authority. Maybe they are hoping by giving him a lifetime achievement award he will retire! Though I have enjoyed some of his books solely for the random tables contained therein.

Apparently it was a total surprise to him; he found out through the grapevine. I guess Origins doesn't bother contacting people first? Weird.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently it was a total surprise to him; he found out through the grapevine. I guess Origins doesn't bother contacting people first? Weird.

Maybe they thought Ninja Division would handle it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've been featured on their vote list and had to be told by excited voters. Submissions are basically anonymous and by fans.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plague of Hats posted:

Their booth was fuckin' embarrassing, by the way. Terrible Escher Girl anime titties everywhere you turned.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Plague of Hats posted:

:vince:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

:iceburn:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Plague of Hats posted:

:thurman:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Their booth was fuckin' embarrassing, by the way. Terrible Escher Girl anime titties everywhere you turned.

Well, those are the Tentacle Bento and Relic Knights guys, for anybody who had the mercy of forgetting. Also this, too.

What I'm getting at is that they're a bunch of classy guys, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

SJG and FGU both predate Palladium as far as companies still run by their founders. SJG is a year older than Palladium.
Flying Buffalo, maybe? Even if they're much more wargaming than ttRPG, and mostly only exist out of inertia these days.

• Locked thread