Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm talking specifically about the Berserkers' babysitter, since the argument is Thief vs Monk. Someone who gets four turns to their competition's 3 is absolutely my jam.

In that case, you definitely want the Monk. You get something like twice as much HP, and that matters a lot if you're caring about the fourth party member. 15 more Agility isn't going to help nearly as much, since you'll have to spend more actions on healing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mikl posted:

Since I registered for the fiesta I haven't touched the game (I had never played it before either). I'm planning to go in 100% blind. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad an idea is this?
I'm in the same boat as you--I have no idea what I'm getting myself into but goddrat I'm excited for the 22nd :dance:

Dug out the ol' Gameboy Micro earlier this week and it's charged and ready to go!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So out of curiosity which is the worse party to get on a Classic run, four White Mages or four Monks?

I feel like the answer is "Obviously four Monks" but maybe there's something I'm forgetting, like some late game boss that absorbs Holy or something which would make four White Mages much more of a pain.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Four White Mages is technically stronger by the endgame, but you'll commit suicide long before you reach that point.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

So out of curiosity which is the worse party to get on a Classic run, four White Mages or four Monks?

I feel like the answer is "Obviously four Monks" but maybe there's something I'm forgetting, like some late game boss that absorbs Holy or something which would make four White Mages much more of a pain.

Four White Mages is tedious and an enormous slog to get to Holy. One you get it, you have won at everything save Omega.

Four Monks plows through world one and hits a huge roadblock in most of world two's hard bosses (to say nothing of world three and the void).

They're studies in opposites, really.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I imagine that that both Team White and Team Punch are going to need a lot of grinding. White Mages so they can kill stuff before running out of MP, and Monks because their attack damage is based heavily on level.

Probably the biggest wall for both teams is going to be Byblos. White Mages will need a lot of levels and/or luck to overcome his Drain counters, while Monks need similar requirements to get past his stupid-high Evasion before Wind Slash cuts them all down.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'd say four Monks is worse. White Mages have a lot more tools to actually win, where Monks have "level and hope for crits." White Mages also have the easiest time against Exdeath, while the hardest early boss (Byblos) is hard for both.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Bufuman posted:

I imagine that that both Team White and Team Punch are going to need a lot of grinding. White Mages so they can kill stuff before running out of MP, and Monks because their attack damage is based heavily on level.

Probably the biggest wall for both teams is going to be Byblos. White Mages will need a lot of levels and/or luck to overcome his Drain counters, while Monks need similar requirements to get past his stupid-high Evasion before Wind Slash cuts them all down.

Hello, I had four white mages last year. The only "hard" bosses are Byblos and Atomos. Byblos you HAVE to run out of mp, there's no way to ever do more damage through protect than Drain can hit. I think I was level 25 at that point.

I ran from most things because it was a slog. Atomos was annoying and I fought him while healing because running him out of mp is ridiculous. After that it's a breeze. Still wasn't much higher than 32

By hard I mean tedious.

Edit: A cursory glance at Sulla's solo monk challenge shows him doing 1300 damage to Atomos at level 41. So I think monks would be worse and way more grindy.

VietTam fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 7, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Since I registered for the fiesta I haven't touched the game (I had never played it before either). I'm planning to go in 100% blind. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad an idea is this?

if 1 is good and 10 is bad, it's a 1. Just do it. If you get stuck anywhere there are plenty of tools and info available, and a ton of goons that have played this game 8 billion times or whatever. Just do it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has it been confirmed that you can get multiple of the same jobs through a Chaos run?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Is there anywhere I can get Reflect Rings (Wall Rings) in World 2 after beating the crystals? I'm going to need something to keep up with Exdeath as I'm pretty sure any -aga is going to one-shot any one of my party. If I don't have any way to reflect I guess I'll just have to tank at the beginning of the fight until I song my way to eight turns for every one of his. I managed to do it with the crystals even with four of them hitting me (double singing may or may not stack but it helps to have twice the chance for a song to continue while you're getting pounded on).

Will he run out of MP if I just keep lancing him?

Trip report: got up there just to see how it would go and I bowled straight through him without even a single death. I was fully prepared to have the Bard suck when I drew it, but good lord it is the best class in the game, and my Black Mage is a give-no-gently caress nuke machine. Oh, cool, neat, Exdeath, you can attack twice per round? I can fully heal the entire party with potions and then hit you three times and rod-boosted firaga your rear end twice before you can hit me again.

I'm bound to get a really lovely party when this officially starts, aren't I? I will reiterate that this is, like, way more fun than every other time I've tried to play this game (and I've tried like ten times). Before this I'd never even made it to World 2.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Capsaicin posted:

Has it been confirmed that you can get multiple of the same jobs through a Chaos run?

People are assuming so because the description of berserker risk at the bottom includes the following:

quote:

This is the only way in the Fiesta to end up with a duplicate job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fun thing I learned yesterday: All four parts of Neo are vulnerable to Stop. :unsmigghh:

Not-so-fun thing I learned yesterday: All abilities available still isn't enough to manage Soul Cannon as a Zerker. Boo.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I'm coming up on the final boss. Is there any equipment or abilities that are absolutely required for success? I have a knight/summoner/ninja/samurai party. My major concern is I have no reliable means of healing outside of items. Everyone is around level 45, and I have all the summons. I figure I'll just coin toss and throw everything I have and hope for the best.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Finally dug out the ol' FFV:A cartridge. Time to reacquaint myself and ready up for FIESTA!

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

I think FF5 is best experienced with the FJF. In the vanilla run you can get too paralyzed with options and waste time grinding and get burnt out. The FJF forces you to think "With all the tools available, how can I beat this boss?". If you have all the tools, you'll be running back and forth with classes scrambling for the OPTIMAL solution and just hate the experience.

The FJF is amazing and the best way to get into FF5, which is also the best Final Fantasy.

Ithaqua posted:

I'm coming up on the final boss. Is there any equipment or abilities that are absolutely required for success? I have a knight/summoner/ninja/samurai party. My major concern is I have no reliable means of healing outside of items. Everyone is around level 45, and I have all the summons. I figure I'll just coin toss and throw everything I have and hope for the best.

The problem with NED is that you pretty much need a certain amount of HP to eat his big nuke (Almagest), but beyond that it's not terribly difficult.

However there's some neat poo poo your comp is capable of:

If you're torn between Dual Wield or DblGrip, just take an Aegis shield. It has a flat chance to just block any spell which can help mitigate a lot of the final boss's major attacks (there's one in particular in the first form that's a total pain)
Have 4 running shoes and use Carbuncle/Golem to mitigate damage. These are the two best summons in the game.
Use Magus Rod/Air Lancet + Syldra. It's the strongest summon when boosted and has a good cost for the bang
Steal Ragnarok off the "top" section of the final boss and put it on your knight. With Dual Wield/Dbl Grip, your damage will skyrocket.
Defender can cast protect in battle and is very useful for buffing up against some of those Vacuum waves.

Otherwise just have fun and use elixers. Once you slam down a few pieces of the final boss he isn't that hard and healing magic isn't essential by any means.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Amgard posted:

I think FF5 is best experienced with the FJF. In the vanilla run you can get too paralyzed with options and waste time grinding and get burnt out. The FJF forces you to think "With all the tools available, how can I beat this boss?". If you have all the tools, you'll be running back and forth with classes scrambling for the OPTIMAL solution and just hate the experience.

I haven't done the fiesta before, but even before it I was doing self-made challenge runs because your first time can be as you say, and then once you get past that, it's real easy to just slip right into ridiculous uber-builds where you !X-Fight dual wield Magic swords and poo poo and just tear every enemy a new rear end in a top hat with no effort.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

Typical endgame levels are 35-40. The big thing is you need ~1800 HP to survive Almagest. If you have that, then the next biggest threats are Delta Attack and Grand Cross. Delta Attack is handled by using the Magic Lamp until Odin pops out and kills that part for you*. Alternatively, cast Carbuncle and then Delta Attack as well as all of that part's spells are handled for you. If you're really lucky, Delta Attack will reflect and kill the bottom Almagest part for you. Keep Golem up, of course. After that, if you're an experienced hand at Neo Exdeath, you'll get it no problem. If you're not, you'll become one in short order.

One thing to note: there are four parts of Neo Exdeath:

That left one casts spells and Delta Attack and is vulnerable to Odin from the Magic Lamp.
The bottom one casts Almagest and is vulnerable to Petrify from the Magic Lamp or the Summoner.
The top right one uses physical moves and Dispel.
The top left one casts Grand Cross.

Normally, each part acts with gaps in its scripting so attacks come at the normal rate of a one part boss. However, if only one part is left, it'll enter a sort of "berserk" mode and start acting non-stop, and adding some mean stuff like Meteor into the mix. Try to kill the last two evenly if you can, and if you can't, then just go on full offense. Don't worry if you die a few times or more: Neo Exdeath is one of the harder final bosses in the series.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

What is the lowest level you can reasonable be at to get the wind jobs?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gatesealer posted:

1? You get them immediately and Wing Raptor is a chump.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gatesealer posted:

Whatever level you are after the forced goblin fights at the start. Wing Raptor is a joke and all randoms to that point are easy to escape.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can beat the game at the default levels if you really wanted. Dr. Pepper did a great LP doing just that (would link but tablet posting).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

You can beat the game at the default levels if you really wanted. Dr. Pepper did a great LP doing just that (would link but tablet posting).

Here it is. Note that a low level run requires more than four jobs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought the low level route requires level 5 death.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Here!
e: beaten

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe? FF5 is pretty exploit heavy so there's a lot of things you could do. Luckily minimum XP does let you have Lv5 Death available.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ultrafilter posted:

Gonna have to read that after I finish the LP for the trainwreck that is Lunar:Dragon Song.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Just finished FF5 for the first time, and thus my first FJF :waycool:

I had to redo my abilities and equipment a few times and make heavy use of Phoenix, elixirs, and coin toss, but it only took me about 5 tries.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alcharagia, consider the debt settled:

(this also counts as my "leave a berserker" element of the "take a berserker, leave a berserker" compact)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

(this also counts as my "leave a berserker" element of the "take a berserker, leave a berserker" compact)

My work here is done...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

What's the speed trap?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
my nemesis

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

theshim posted:

What's the speed trap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQJF5E2Sgk

A really easy to avoid pit that you really only fall into if you're using fast forward on an emulator.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

BottleKnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQJF5E2Sgk

A really easy to avoid pit that you really only fall into if you're using fast forward on an emulator.

You can also run into it if you have dash equipped and are using the GBA B=run

Other than battle speed that might as well be fast forward

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Okay, that's just wonderful :allears:

Looking forward to the fiesta already.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

You could theoretically learn L5 Death at level 1 by abusing chemist mixes.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

alcharagia posted:

Oh, and I fell in it a total of 106 times over my 9 playthroughs last year.

Someone is getting a berserker 100% funded by alcharagia's inability to avoid the speed trap :black101:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ultrafilter posted:

I bet I could do a Low Level Fiesta as long as I got Bard and/or Chemist.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 8, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
any idea why RK dropped the donation goal this year?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poque posted:

any idea why RK dropped the donation goal this year?

I think we're out of FF games for him to hate-play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

I think we're out of FF games for him to hate-play?

Did he do FF8? Every play of that is a hate-play.

• Locked thread