Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Odette posted:

Replaced the rear brake light. Looks like both filaments are on, and tapping the brakes doesn't do jack poo poo. Did I gently caress it up?

New/old bulb are the same, right? Did you disconnect the housing/socket from it's harness? If it used bullet connectors you might be able to get the tail light running both filaments. If not, check your brake pedal and lever switches. I've had them go bad before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

Replaced the rear brake light. Looks like both filaments are on, and tapping the brakes doesn't do jack poo poo. Did I gently caress it up?

Is your foot brake switch adjusted properly?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

monsterzero posted:

New/old bulb are the same, right? Did you disconnect the housing/socket from it's harness? If it used bullet connectors you might be able to get the tail light running both filaments. If not, check your brake pedal and lever switches. I've had them go bad before.

Pretty sure they're both the same bulb. I didn't need to disconnect anything, all I need to do to replace my brake light is to take off the red plastic housing, twist the old bulb out, twist the new one in.

Slavvy posted:

Is your foot brake switch adjusted properly?

Yes, it was working right up until the brake light blew. I replaced it ASAP, as in next day.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my SV650 into something a bit more upright, comfortable and fun. I've got my heart set on a KTM 690 SMC, but the price tag is making me pause a little. The nearby KTM dealer has a KTM 640 LC4, does anyone know how good these bikes are and if they are in any way comparable to the SMC which I realize is the gold standard of supermotos at the moment.

In a related question, the secondhand SMC they have is going for a sticker price of £3750, how much would be a reasonable offer against this? I got my SV for a steal, so I haven't had to negotiate bike prices before. The SMC has apparently been sitting for a while, the guy made it sound like they'd have to do some work on it to make it ready for a test ride. It also needs a few items that I'm not sure if the shop will replace when they get it running or not, such as some shabby-looking grips and faded/damaged stickers(which I don't really care about, but hey, any bargaining chip is a good one).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What style lights did you buy? You bought the proper ones with two actual filaments in them instead of one, correct?

Having said that, my brief affair with a Ducati made me realize just how bad some manufacturers are about housing for electrical components. Your bulbs might not be fitting in the housing exactly right. You might want to just give them a bit and see if that fixes them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trauma Tank posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my SV650 into something a bit more upright, comfortable and fun. I've got my heart set on a KTM 690 SMC, but the price tag is making me pause a little. The nearby KTM dealer has a KTM 640 LC4, does anyone know how good these bikes are and if they are in any way comparable to the SMC which I realize is the gold standard of supermotos at the moment.

In a related question, the secondhand SMC they have is going for a sticker price of £3750, how much would be a reasonable offer against this? I got my SV for a steal, so I haven't had to negotiate bike prices before. The SMC has apparently been sitting for a while, the guy made it sound like they'd have to do some work on it to make it ready for a test ride. It also needs a few items that I'm not sure if the shop will replace when they get it running or not, such as some shabby-looking grips and faded/damaged stickers(which I don't really care about, but hey, any bargaining chip is a good one).

That is a screaming deal on a SMC. The 640 LC4 is much closer to a DRZ than a 690.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

nitrogen posted:

What style lights did you buy? You bought the proper ones with two actual filaments in them instead of one, correct?

Having said that, my brief affair with a Ducati made me realize just how bad some manufacturers are about housing for electrical components. Your bulbs might not be fitting in the housing exactly right. You might want to just give them a bit and see if that fixes them.

Yep, two filaments. Actually took the bulb out of the package & inspected it.

Now that you mention it, the loving bulb was a bitch to get seated in the housing. Will go wiggle it now.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Sorry to keep asking questions but I think I might be bad at fixing things.

So, after adjusting the valve clearances on my bike (and getting delayed for a long time before actually starting it back up again) the engine is kind of intermittently making a rattling/tapping sound when I start it up. I'm pretty sure that this means I made them too loose (or maybe just one of them is too loose?), but I thought I'd better ask more experienced folks before jumping to any conclusions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trauma Tank posted:

A supermoto is a lot of things compared to an SV but comfortable is not one of those things. Not saying not to get it, just that if comfort is important to you you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I'd also say that a second-hand supermoto - especially a KTM - will have not been treated well up to this point and may have some fun little PO-related surprises waiting for you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Sorry to keep asking questions but I think I might be bad at fixing things.

So, after adjusting the valve clearances on my bike (and getting delayed for a long time before actually starting it back up again) the engine is kind of intermittently making a rattling/tapping sound when I start it up. I'm pretty sure that this means I made them too loose (or maybe just one of them is too loose?), but I thought I'd better ask more experienced folks before jumping to any conclusions.

Maybe the chain tension is too lose/tensioner damaged?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A supermoto is a lot of things compared to an SV but comfortable is not one of those things. Not saying not to get it, just that if comfort is important to you you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I'd also say that a second-hand supermoto - especially a KTM - will have not been treated well up to this point and may have some fun little PO-related surprises waiting for you.

The comfort thing is more related to how cramped I am on the SV. I'm 6'1, and I find after riding for more than 30 or so miles my feet hurt like hell from being pushed into the pegs, as well as my back and hands and such that a more upright riding posture should help to fix.

Apparently the SMC has been serviced at this same dealer for its entire life, so hopefully I should have a fairly clear picture from its service history, but yeah. I'm gonna contact them and ask them to get it ready for a test ride and take it from there. I'll bear in mind that there could be some issues hidden away. Is there anything in particular I can ask the dealer about, or is it more of a general awareness thing?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Was reading a bikeexif article recently where the builder of a nice custom bike said that he had "used a wide band O2 sensor to tune the carb, and got it running pretty well,” when he replaced the stock carb with a more recent model.

How does that work exactly? You put the O2 sensor in the exhaust and then fiddle with jets? I have no idea what you would do.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Probably just means they put an air/fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust while tuning it on a dyno. Those use O2 sensors. It gives you a readout of how well the gas is burning in the engine as the exhaust comes out the back.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Slavvy posted:

Maybe the chain tension is too lose/tensioner damaged?

You mean the actual chain that goes to the back tire? This was just starting the bike up in my garage in neutral.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, I mean the engine timing chain.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

No, I mean the engine timing chain.

I really hope that's not the problem. I have no idea how to diagnose or adjust that. Has anyone here had to mess with the engine timing chain on a 88-07 Ninja 250?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A little bit of valve noise is just healthy. Since it's coming and going, together with the mechanical hypochondria we all get when we're new to working on bikes, it's probably fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Figured out my issue with left curves. Somewhere along the way I picked up a bad habit of locking that elbow - just the left one, I do the whole "kiss the mirror, pretend grip is a screwdriver" thing on the right side without problems. Still have to consciously remind myself to bend it every time, but it's improved my left handers tons.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

M42 posted:

Figured out my issue with left curves. Somewhere along the way I picked up a bad habit of locking that elbow - just the left one, I do the whole "kiss the mirror, pretend grip is a screwdriver" thing on the right side without problems. Still have to consciously remind myself to bend it every time, but it's improved my left handers tons.

I have the same issue. But, mine is a little less fixable. I broke my left elbow pretty bad in a dirtbike crash when I was 8, so it bends really funny. Most bikes put it in a weird spot where it's a super conscious effort to bend it correctly for lefts.

Every bike school I've been through dinged me on it, until finally an instructor for CSS watched me for a day and just told me to "drop yer shoulda like yer tryna beat a defendeh" and it pretty much corrected me.

Still a pain in the rear end though. But his football/hockey comparison in a British accent was great.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dumb question: Ever since I got my new overpants, I've noticed a hot spot around my left knee on my DRZ. Seems to be about where the carb is, but I can't see that getting as hot as it is. Any ideas?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Try wearing thinner pants under your overpants?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm already wearing thin basketball shorts underneath. The main difference between these and my old pants is the zipper on the inside leg, so maybe that's what's letting in more heat. I just thought it was odd that I don't notice on both legs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Deeters posted:

I'm already wearing thin basketball shorts underneath. The main difference between these and my old pants is the zipper on the inside leg, so maybe that's what's letting in more heat. I just thought it was odd that I don't notice on both legs.

Ahh, ok then - I've had issues where thicker pants cut off circulation and made me feel warmer. But yeah, zippers and other stuff can let more heat through. Probably just the airflow deflecting heat on to your leg.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

So it turns out the first time I tried to adjust my valve clearances I was confusing the metric and imperial markings on my feeler gauges, so they really were quite too loose. I did it properly and the bike seems to run way better than when I got it from the previous owner. Not sure if this is because I accidently bumped the idle knob or because the valves were just far too tight before, but I had to turn the idle down by a bit over 500RPM.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Synchronise your carbs for further blowing of the mind.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trauma Tank posted:

The comfort thing is more related to how cramped I am on the SV. I'm 6'1, and I find after riding for more than 30 or so miles my feet hurt like hell from being pushed into the pegs, as well as my back and hands and such that a more upright riding posture should help to fix.

Apparently the SMC has been serviced at this same dealer for its entire life, so hopefully I should have a fairly clear picture from its service history, but yeah. I'm gonna contact them and ask them to get it ready for a test ride and take it from there. I'll bear in mind that there could be some issues hidden away. Is there anything in particular I can ask the dealer about, or is it more of a general awareness thing?

Supermotos will tend to have higher pegs (for better ground clearance) and a really uncomfortable seat. Like I say, they're not built for comfort at all. At the very least try and get a test ride and see how you can get along with it, because it's not impossible it will be a more comfortable setup for you, but that'll be despite, not because.

It is more of a general awareness thing, I don't know KTM well enough to give you specifics, but I'd be looking at things like steering head and front wheel damage from wheelies, evidence of drops like scratches )or suspiciously clean bits) on areas that stick out, that sort of thing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

So it turns out the first time I tried to adjust my valve clearances I was confusing the metric and imperial markings on my feeler gauges, so they really were quite too loose. I did it properly and the bike seems to run way better than when I got it from the previous owner. Not sure if this is because I accidently bumped the idle knob or because the valves were just far too tight before, but I had to turn the idle down by a bit over 500RPM.

Rode to work this morning and just before I get there, I'm taking off from a stop and the engine did something that just felt... weird. Kind of felt like it went from vibrating to thumping. I was able to limp into the car park but not sure if it's a good idea to try and ride back home, it's about 12 miles.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
New rider, I want to get frame sliders for my bike but I've heard they can screw up your frame if you're going fast. Between no-cut and cut frame sliders is there one that's more or less likely to cause frame damage?

Looking at these no-cuts, anybody have experience with the brand? http://www.amazon.com/06-08-T-Rex-R...iders+ninja+650

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Cut/no cut refer to whether or not you have to cut through your fairings to mount them.

Honestly if you wreck hard enough to tweak your frame with a slider, the frame's probably the least of your worries. They're handy for dumb slow speed drops, which is what you're most likely to do as a newbie.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No slider crew, whattup

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

No slider crew, whattup

The one bike I've crashed with sliders ended up with a tweaked engine mount eye thing (steel frame) because the mounting bolt bent and deformed the steel tubular section the bolt passes through. That was a dumb sliperyness-induced 40km/h lowside.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

BlackMK4 posted:

No slider crew, whattup

Future Streetfighters of America

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BlackMK4 posted:

No slider crew, whattup

Same. Bought a brand new Ninja for my first bike. No sliders. I feel like it's a good motivator to not gently caress up, and a nice reminder for the future if I do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No fairing crew represent. The stator cover is my slider.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rode to work this morning and just before I get there, I'm taking off from a stop and the engine did something that just felt... weird. Kind of felt like it went from vibrating to thumping. I was able to limp into the car park but not sure if it's a good idea to try and ride back home, it's about 12 miles.

Maybe a cylinder quit firing for some reason? Will it start ok?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How do these tires look for another ~100-500 miles? Both the front and rear are at their wear bars at 6,100 miles on a Honda CTX700.

Front:
Rear:

On that note - is it weird that my front tire is wearing so fast? It's easily as worn as my rear and came new with the bike. I religiously keep my tires at 36/42, the recommended pressures.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Front - bottom end of that range (I wouldn't even ride that poo poo.)
Rear - top end of that range.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Radbot posted:

How do these tires look for another ~100-500 miles? Both the front and rear are at their wear bars at 6,100 miles on a Honda CTX700.

Front:
Rear:

On that note - is it weird that my front tire is wearing so fast? It's easily as worn as my rear and came new with the bike. I religiously keep my tires at 36/42, the recommended pressures.

Those rears look like the pirellis that came on my Pegaso that, when I brought it in for new tires, they cheeky mechanic helpfully suggested "they go around corners too, you know".

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Linedance posted:

Those rears look like the pirellis that came on my Pegaso that, when I brought it in for new tires, they cheeky mechanic helpfully suggested "they go around corners too, you know".

Probably a result of the 42psi? I hardly ever ride this thing in a straight line since I rarely commute with it and prefer to take it up to Nederland/Georgetown/Bailey in Colorado.

Seriously, I'm hardly rayelin the gap but I do keep a brisk pace in the canyons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Maybe a cylinder quit firing for some reason? Will it start ok?

It starts up pretty okay. I rode it about a mile going to lunch and coming back (trying to figure out if I'm good to ride home or not, pretty confident I can get home now).

I got a more experience motorcycle guy in my office to listen to it idle just now, and he thought it sounded bad. He also noticed that the revs drop really fast when you let go of the throttle, so fast that the engine almost stalls (this is while in neutral) before sputtering back up to idle speed.