Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tracula posted:

I kinda agree. He's gotten less awful. Now he's just kind of "meh" rather than offensive.

Oh he is still moviebob and still have his normal faults. but he is presenting himself better and that somehow makes his poo poo watchable.

but on snob 300th episode, the bro returns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

It also fails because it assumes two rational arguments, one on each side. Sometimes, there is only one rational argument on a certain issue.

The heart of the fallacy is making a decision based on anything other than the particulars of the decision. The "rationality" of the opposed arguments is totally irrelevant, they could both be extremely valid opinions, and the golden mean fallacy would still be a fallacy. The golden mean fallacy means "The validity of a proposition cannot be evaluated based on other propositions", not "gently caress bipartisanship" like goons often like to use it as a dogwhistle for.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Thanks for recommending Wolf Cop, Lupa! My brother has been stuck inside because of chemo (and me too, because it's my job to watch his condition), and the movie really brightened our day.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Glad to hear! Best of luck to both of you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't "The trutomewhere in the middle" start as a joke on south park? I thought they used it as an excuse to make both sides of an argument looks like psychopaths and laugh at everyone. Because seriously, if you're going to loving south park of all places to get your opinions on a sensitive subject, you've just made yourself as much a target of scorn as the topics parker and stone love to lampoon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It started as a "joke" on South Park, yes. Then over the years it became somewhat apparent that it's actually what the Parkers believe since they're libertarians (assuming the "middle" is right of center, as American politics skew pretty hard to the right in general.)

EDIT: \/ a good link.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 6, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

...if you're going to loving south park of all places to get your opinions on a sensitive subject, you've just made yourself as much a target of scorn as the topics parker and stone love to lampoon.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_Republican

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting article. Its a fair enough opinion to hold and I won't begrudge parker and stone from making GBS threads on whoever they want. It is annoying that some people seem to treat their word as the gospel, however, as if that south park episode on smoking and lung cancer was meant to be a documentary piece.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I always also thought "Truth is in the Middle" to also mean that anyone who picks a side on an issue is an idiot. "You actually care about something? Loser :smug:"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

Eh, most internet reviewer types get compared to Brad, it's this weird thing.

Not so weird. I saw the review for Asylum's Sherlock Holmes. Brad had a real connection with you.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I generally agree with how stupid the South Park-ish "truth in the middle" mindset is; but I'm still put off by all the people who kneejerk apply that criticism to anything and everything that doesn't validate their worldview.

"Jon Stewart says he hates how cable news has turned partisan politics into a shallow spectator sport!

Truth in the middle! South Park!"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm still put off by all the people who kneejerk apply that criticism to anything and everything that doesn't validate their worldview.

Says the poster named Echo Chamber. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm still put off by all the people who kneejerk apply that criticism to anything and everything that doesn't validate their worldview.

This reminds of something I read months ago. This to be exact.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Well, on one hand you have the social psychology idea of group polarization where groups sharing a like viewpoint will gradually drift to the extreme ends of the opinion spectrum. When you've got two opposed groups, this means you have a small minority on each extreme ends attempting to dictate the conversation, while the vast majority of people hold opinions that are much less extreme and less rooted on said extreme opposition. Only a small fraction of people see the extreme answer as being tenable while to most the middle answer holds. i.e. somewhere between abandoning post-industrial revolution technology and wantonly destroying the Earth there's probably a balance.

On the other hand, you have groups who espouse extreme opinions specifically to "meet in the middle" at their real goal, which is nowhere near a compromise, and the idea of middle ground is bullshit. i.e. somewhere between Fred Phelps and rational human beings we don't decide that imprisoning gay people instead of executing them is middle ground between basic human rights and therefore reasonable.

So you've got cases where the answer lies in the middle, and cases where one side is simply wrong...

...I guess that means the answer lies somewhere in the middle

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Isn't South Park's brand of "somewhere in the middle" basically shorthand for "these people who believe in something wholeheartedly are idiots"?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I suppose a question they frequently ask is "Is this the hill worth dying on?"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

There's a Bollywood version of Antichrist?? :magical:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

Well, on one hand you have the social psychology idea of group polarization where groups sharing a like viewpoint will gradually drift to the extreme ends of the opinion spectrum. When you've got two opposed groups, this means you have a small minority on each extreme ends attempting to dictate the conversation, while the vast majority of people hold opinions that are much less extreme and less rooted on said extreme opposition. Only a small fraction of people see the extreme answer as being tenable while to most the middle answer holds. i.e. somewhere between abandoning post-industrial revolution technology and wantonly destroying the Earth there's probably a balance.

I don't think most people are really passionate about political ideologies. They're broadly content with the status quo, just so long as they don't think it's actively harming them and correlates to a nebulous idea of common sense. This is something that people who are, or people who live in the proverbial bubble, don't really understand or like. It's as Khrushchev is meant to have told Chairman Mao, "If you offer a worker a choice between revolution and a bowl of soup, he will always choose soup."

On the other hand, no compromise with the electorate, amirite?

As for South Park, I believe Trey Parker spelled out their position as, "I hate conservatives but I loving hate liberals," which is one I'm increasingly in sympathy with lately.

I mean, on one side, we have the DUP; on the other, we have Sinn Fein. I think the answer probably does lie somewhere in the middle there. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 8, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think most people are really passionate about political ideologies. They're broadly content with the status quo, just so long as they don't think it's actively harming them and correlates to a nebulous idea of common sense. This is something that people who are, or people who live in the proverbial bubble, don't really understand or like. It's as Khrushchev is meant to have told Chairman Mao, "If you offer a worker a choice between revolution and a bowl of soup, he will always choose soup."

On the other hand, no compromise with the electorate, amirite?

As for South Park, I believe Trey Parker spelled out their position as, "I hate conservatives but I loving hate liberals," which is one I'm increasingly in sympathy with lately.

I mean, on one side, we have the DUP; on the other, we have Sinn Fein. I think the answer probably does lie somewhere in the middle there. :v:

American politics aren't Irish politics. A lot of people here, especially those on the right, have been so thoroughly conditioned by certain buzzwords or concepts that they hiss like wildcats whenever they come up. Say the word "Obama" in most places in the South and you can hear a loving pin drop. It's gotten so bad that one prominent Republican politician, Chris Christie (governor of my state and complete shitlord) suffered a huge hit to popular opinion because he was photographed being friendly with the Democratic president. In the aftermath of a disaster relief operation.

That's the main reason why South Park libertarianism is so reviled. "Truth is in the middle" doesn't work when you've got one side comprised of typical politicians and another full of paranoid schizophrenics in suits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I only know a little bit about American politics, and obviously I can only speak to my own experiences and it is inappropriate for me to do so for anyone else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

American politics is suffering as one of its parties is self-destructing. In all likelihood some less polarized conservative party will emerge after the Republicans all enough in numbers to not be a viable party anymore and reestablish the pre-80s status quo. In the meantime though we have people acting stupidly enough on the right in real world politics that their only left wing equivalent existing solely in academia and tumblr.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough. I only know a little bit about American politics, and obviously I can only speak to my own experiences and it is inappropriate for me to do so for anyone else.

Keep in mind in America I've been around 60-somethings who have genuinely said "Well why don't we have a white history month?" and "After OJ Simpson was found innocent white people didn't riot." I can see the merits to some things in right wing/conservative ideals or at least how people can believe them but a lot of right wingers in America are bugfuck insane.

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the meantime though we have people acting stupidly enough on the right in real world politics that their only left wing equivalent existing solely in academia and tumblr.

I feel like I should add as well that one of the people I know too is former MP who conceal-carries literally everywhere except in the shower (and he probably would there too if he could) with two additional magazines as well has having a summer and winter gun since during the winter you need more stopping power because people are wearing more layers :shepface:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 8, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

We have Ex-Portuguese African Colony folk! It leads to witnessing a bizarro version of Marine Todd. As in "Leftist Anti-War veteran homeless soldier screams at douchey right wing college students, gets owned with the reason of not being chill at all".
And folk who actually mourned loving Augusto Pinochet and will chase after black intellectuals for daring to say that perhaps being a second class citizen on Mozambique was terrible because you see, he has a PhD now and only uneducated blacks care about racism.

PHELOUS GETS 「TOPICAL」!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

stillvisions posted:

On the other hand, you have groups who espouse extreme opinions specifically to "meet in the middle" at their real goal, which is nowhere near a compromise, and the idea of middle ground is bullshit. i.e. somewhere between Fred Phelps and rational human beings we don't decide that imprisoning gay people instead of executing them is middle ground between basic human rights and therefore reasonable.

So you've got cases where the answer lies in the middle, and cases where one side is simply wrong...

...I guess that means the answer lies somewhere in the middle

I don't remember the nambla episode of south park having a "maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle" type lesson.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't remember the nambla episode of south park having a "maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle" type lesson.

JOKE REPLY: The answer lies somewhere in the middle of a sweet little boy's thighs, obviously.

ACTUAL REPLY: People tend to paint philosophies with broad strokes, and ignore all evidence that contradicts their neat stereotype.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/608466206174158850
Holy poo poo what a miserable human being

"I'm sure Fury Road is AMAZING, but the mere fact that its a sequel offends me" Oh gently caress off you jagoff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/608466206174158850
Holy poo poo what a miserable human being

"I'm sure Fury Road is AMAZING, but the mere fact that its a sequel offends me" Oh gently caress off you jagoff.

I wish MRAtheater would make a doll for Spoony.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Is Spoony MRA? I thought he's just a broken person with bipolar disorder who can't enjoy anything new

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

achillesforever6 posted:

Is Spoony MRA? I thought he's just a broken person with bipolar disorder who can't enjoy anything new

Nah, Spoony is pretty against MRA's and GGers and that bullshit but how can someone loving hate fun so much that he refuses to see Fury Road? My god, the director of the movies doesn't give a poo poo about continuity so why should anyone else?

And he's a broken person with bipolar but christ almighty that doesn't give him free reign to be a dickhead about things. It's funny and rather sad how hard he digs in his heels and refuses to enjoy things sometimes.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 10, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I've said it before but he really is the Ted Rall of internet web personalities, someone who is needlessly contrarian who thinks he's the leader of this grand revolution and that us sheeple need to wake up. He prides himself in being "one of the first people" to write a scathing review of Episode I for a magazine he was writing for.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I know that I'm being a dick at this point but part of me wishes I had been giving to Spoony on Patreon just so I could pull it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To his defense, Mad Max peaked with the perfect Beyond the Thunderdome. So Fury Road is just a loud cash-in sequel made by people who don't know nothing about Mad Max.

Seriously, un-follow that wretch on twitter. You're day will improve by 200% by not reading that bile.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Tracula posted:

Nah, Spoony is pretty against MRA's and GGers and that bullshit

I don't think he gives a poo poo about any of that. If he does he's never said anything about it (as far as I know).

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

I've said it before but he really is the Ted Rall of internet web personalities, someone who is needlessly contrarian who thinks he's the leader of this grand revolution and that us sheeple need to wake up. He prides himself in being "one of the first people" to write a scathing review of Episode I for a magazine he was writing for.

Why do you follow him? after I got banned from his site I been in better mood without him or his bullshit.

on the subject of spoony being MRA, he is not, but his forum is full of people who clam antia is a con artist and clam that woman saying their rape are lies. one of them called me the "F" word before I was banned.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why do we still care about him? It's apparent that he brings only bile and has for a long while.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I don't follow him on Twitter I just wanted to see if he wasn't going to see Mad Max and turns out I was right

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Eh, I follow his stuff because I like to see his Patreon decline in money and out of grim curiosity.

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't think he gives a poo poo about any of that. If he does he's never said anything about it (as far as I know).

He pretty much makes fun of GGers and instablocks anyone who mentions it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't follow him on Twitter I just wanted to see if he wasn't going to see Mad Max and turns out I was right

again, who cars, I don't care if he see's it or jerks off to the prono version I think no one will care about spoony until when he release a loving review that is not a vlog about wrestling. he release one video this year. of the few who still like him we like review spony not "WHA WHA MAH CHILDHOOD" spoony.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 10, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

He now has 3900 a month. 46.8k a year now. Yay I now can safely say that he'll never bother to improve nor clean up his act. Washed up indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I saw Fury Road and it was pretty good for what it was. Seeing those tweets is disappointing. I sort of understand his thinking, that sequels and remakes/reboots of older movies and other media tend to be unnecessary and exploitive. We can groan and moan all we like, but it's the way the movie industry is and we deal with it by appreciating the good movies that come out when they do.

Based on those tweets, how much do you want to bet that he won't give the new Star Wars movie a chance?

• Locked thread