Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Gilok posted:

So I don't want to go wade through thousands of off-site forums posts. What do RPG.net and OPP forums think of Beast? Are these same issues being raised and taken seriously there, are they being raised and then smacked down by mods, or do they all love it?

4chan despises it, RPG.net is having about the same debate if much more carefully with far more people defending its honor, and last I looked at OPP they were about the same as RPG.net, with more confusion than frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gilok posted:

So I don't want to go wade through thousands of off-site forums posts. What do RPG.net and OPP forums think of Beast? Are these same issues being raised and taken seriously there, are they being raised and then smacked down by mods, or do they all love it?
I can't speak for RPG.net but OPP posters are by and large the best examples of Beast sample characters outside of an otherkin tumblr so I can't imagine that they are concerned with anything in the book.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
The mage page states that mages sometimes listen to Beasts going on about the Dark Mother and take away the idea that Beasts are servants of the Life Exarch. An "honor" literally no other splat gets - vampires and mummies get classed as "related to the lower depths" by the Orders, werewolves and Sin-Eaters are regarded as native guides to their respective otherworlds, but Beasts are the guys who a non-zero number of mages look at and decide must represent everything wrong with the universe.

Now, if you play Beast, those mages are obviously wrong. But it's not exactly Poochie.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Ah, fair enough. Still, the rest of it stands, and what he has written on these subjects and other things I've found reading back in this thread do not inspire confidence. I was already unsold on buying Demon now that I have a little spare money before I read that.

Said before and it's the reason I'm in this thread: Demon might be the best game in the White Wolf/OPP line, better than Changeling or even Promtehsus even with the right group in my honest opinion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

Also this thread is making me think that as well as Hunter, Changeling might very well be for me, too. It's basically normal people taken by hosed up horror faeries and turned into something inhuman who escape and try to stay escaped, while trying to deal with their trauma, yes?

Changeling owns, Daemon (now that I've bought it) owns too, get both they're amazing. That being said, I still like Changeling better, and I'd kill for an IRL game.

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't speak for RPG.net but OPP posters are by and large the best examples of Beast sample characters outside of an otherkin tumblr so I can't imagine that they are concerned with anything in the book.

From what I've seen, 4chan's surprisingly 50/50; I'd have thought they'd be all for it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LatwPIAT posted:

Got a link to that?

This is the thread

quote:

OK, I'm not going to post in red text, because I'm very much a normal poster in this thread, but as a request - could we tone down the "OMG HEROES ARE FIREMEN WHY DO YOU HATE FIREMEN" stuff a little? Because that's really obviously not what we're going for, and frankly the question of why Heroes are called Heroes has been more than adequately answered.

(And, I note, once again Heroes smash their way in here and are all like "not all Heroes!" and "what about the Heroes?")
Note: this was before they put in the rule that Heroes needed to have low integrity, before it implied that it would grab anyone "Suitibly Heroic" E.G. good people driven to do good things.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The mage page states that mages sometimes listen to Beasts going on about the Dark Mother and take away the idea that Beasts are servants of the Life Exarch. An "honor" literally no other splat gets - vampires and mummies get classed as "related to the lower depths" by the Orders, werewolves and Sin-Eaters are regarded as native guides to their respective otherworlds, but Beasts are the guys who a non-zero number of mages look at and decide must represent everything wrong with the universe.

Now, if you play Beast, those mages are obviously wrong. But it's not exactly Poochie.

Beast is what happens when you Join the Seers.

Don't join the Seers.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Bowser is too decent to be a Beast.

Agreed, please don't compare Bowser to that book.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Honestly the crossover stuff (barring the Hunter bits) didn't bug me as much because it gives me the feeling that most Beasts are lonely. They track down other monster-y things to hang out with and right out the gate try to make a space for themselves, but slowly realize that even other monsters are more human than they are. It's an interesting idea.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Agreed, please don't compare Bowser to that book.

Besides, Bowser can't be a Beast, he is all the time in the shape of an awesome dragon-turtle thing that breath fire.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gilok posted:

A mix of the latter two with hints of the first, from what I've seen; they are being discussed and at least given token consideration, but RPG.net's terrible moderation is frequently smacking detractors, though that might just be because they're incapable of anything but the most heavy-handed letter-of-the-law sort of moderation, and a ton of people there seem to love it and not consider or not care about the problems with the game, or are jumping through hoops to justify it/explain it away.

Though I've only taken looks through the RPG.net thread, so, yeah. Other people here seem to have different impressions.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Bowser is a Sorcerer according to the mario 1 instruction manual

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I think the most reasonable perspective for a knowledgeable mage to take is that Beasts are exponents of an extremely powerful Temenos "god", or at least a repeating phenomenon rooted in that place.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Honestly the crossover stuff (barring the Hunter bits) didn't bug me as much because it gives me the feeling that most Beasts are lonely. They track down other monster-y things to hang out with and right out the gate try to make a space for themselves, but slowly realize that even other monsters are more human than they are. It's an interesting idea.

I agree. And any supernatural that's like "wow, you can charge up my supernatural powers" instead of "holy poo poo, stay away from me, don't charge up my supernatural powers please" is exactly the type of greedy shithead that will make all kinds of interesting trouble. And the amount of dice added is comparable to the "helping" mechanic that already exists. So that's cool.

The other games have done a really good job of making the supernatural abilities integrate with character development. Someone who can just say your name and your blood starts to boil like it's FUCKIN ALIVE AGAIN MAN is very, very creepy. Hell, aren't there poo poo-tons of Very Dangerous Beings out there that Mages warn each other about cutting deals with? Isn't this the Abyss all over again?

The abilities letting them go into and out of (say) the Hedge also more or less mark them as fuckheads of the highest caliber. Of course there are Changelings that love them. Privateers.

I think the Kinship mechanics fit my view of the game pretty well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

Bowser is a Sorcerer according to the mario 1 instruction manual

Makes sense.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The crossover stuff is the least awful part of the book because it's the part that hooks into games that have a reason to exist and siphons off their meaning while conveying none in return. At least it's an ethos.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Will be interesting to see if this Monday update consists of anything other than pointing at the Kickstarter that's well on its way to doubling its funding goal and saying, "Scoreboard." Obviously somebody wants this book, or thinks they do.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Night10194 posted:

Also this thread is making me think that as well as Hunter, Changeling might very well be for me, too. It's basically normal people taken by hosed up horror faeries and turned into something inhuman who escape and try to stay escaped, while trying to deal with their trauma, yes?

Yes, but it's also completely awesome in basically every other way because there's just so much stuff to do. Some games you wonder what you're meant to do, Changelings almost have too much stuff; some things could be the basis for entire games alone.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crion posted:

Will be interesting to see if this Monday update consists of anything other than pointing at the Kickstarter that's well on its way to doubling its funding goal and saying, "Scoreboard." Obviously somebody wants this book, or thinks they do.

This is what I'm expecting. A mix of "thanks for backing this!" and "we're getting great feedback, keep it coming!"

I mean, really, doing something like pulling the book and rewriting would be a pretty unprecedented (for OPP) admission of failure, and they have a project that isn't actually failing because there are plenty of people paying for it. If the grumbling reaches critical mass, or someone says something unfathomably stupid in public and pledges start getting pulled, then they might change course.

I honestly can't see anything other than maybe reiterating that the text of the book is right there on the kickstarter page and people are free to make decisions based on it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Nearly every person on 4chan is utterly making GBS threads on outside of one or two defenders who might be trolls.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I don't know how I missed this one

quote:

Promethean: These people who reject you. You need to learn to kill more of them.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Oh MAN I don't know how I missed this one

quote:

They say children can see monsters. They’re wrong, at least about him. He’s only seen in his day job, as the administrator of a juvenile justice facility. His facility’s got one of the cleanest records in the state. After lights out, he stalks the corridors of the building, seeing what no one else can see, guarding against the dangers the children bring inside with them or foment when given too much time to themselves. He says he’d never hurt any of “his kids”... but cross enough lines and you’re not his kid anymore.

or this one

quote:

Like every one of his kind, he knows what it’s like to be on the outside, but he likes it there very much. He gets to watch people. Happy people. Sad people. Loving people. He sets up camp every night across the street from the only bar in town, and watches the little people go about their lives, blissfully unaware that they share their town with a monster. He’s very strict with his Hunger. He only lets it out every few years, but oh, what a glorious feast. To take one of those happy people and break their neck before they can even stop smiling, and then to feast on the flesh.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Of course not-Trunchbull isn't the only example of sample characters abusing children in the book. Why would it be.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Crion posted:

Of course not-Trunchbull isn't the only example of sample characters abusing children in the book. Why would it be.

Reminder that the flagship character in chargen gets like two paragraphs of an example of play where she nearly murders a child for taking other kids' Halloween candy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Oh MAN I don't know how I missed this one

or this one

"I only need to feed every few years, gently caress what the rules say." that or he sits at Satiety zero for a LONG time. Nightmares for EVERYBODY.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Example of Character Creation

Magda is making a character for her friend Orson’s Beast game. Orson has told the other players in advance that he wants to explore the concept of family and what that means. He’s set up a chronicle based in what looks like a normal suburb, complete with white picket fences and PTA meetings. It’s a perfect hiding place for a brood of Children (the players’ characters) to set up, inciting and feeding on the mundane fears and terrors of its residents. When Orson first hears Magda’s idea, he likes it, but is a little unconvinced about how it’ll mesh with the rest of the group. Still, he allows it anyway to see what Magda does with it.
Step One: Concept and Aspirations

Magda lays out her concept: “Mrs. Winters, the whole neighborhood’s grandmother.” She watches over some of the neighborhood kids after school to help supplement her social security check, which only stretches so far every month. She’s likely been in the neighborhood the longest out of all of the Children, but came into her Homecoming late in life after her own children were grown.

quote:

Right now, Mrs. Winters looks like a sweet, benign old lady who just wants to protect her neighborhood. At this stage, Magda adds the details that make her not so benign.
Magda chooses the Eshmaki as Mrs. Winters’ Family. The more Magda thinks about the character, the more she sees Mrs. Winters claiming her Birthright when her husband died and her children left the nest. The echoing darkness of the empty house haunted her dreams, especially the impossibly quick scrabbling of claws on the hardwood floors. Finally, she listened very hard, cutting through the echoes to follow the sounds. This led to her Lair, where she realized the scrabbling sound was her own long, curled talons along the floor and claimed her Birthright as one of the Lurkers.

Magda chooses the Hunger for Punishment for Mrs. Winters, letting her seep into the dreams of those who confide in her, berating them for their failings and filling them with the terror of their secrets being discovered. While Mrs. Winters won’t outwardly judge those who confide in her, she stalks them in the Primordial Dream, never letting them rest comfortably while they try to hide their illicit affairs, abuses, and other guilty pleasures. She feasts on the rot underneath the surface of her pristine neighborhood, and her victims can’t hide from her. Ever. Orson points out that she could also use it to sate herself on the children who misbehave under her watch, if she so chooses. The rest of the players at the table shift uncomfortably in their seats, which inspires Mrs. Winters’ third Aspiration: “protect the children in the neighborhood, even from themselves.”

quote:

• Are you a social predator? Magda decides that Mrs. Winters is disinclined to hunt with other Begotten, especially since her primary target is children. She would rather not deal with the judgmental attitudes that other Beasts might bring (or, indeed, expose the neighborhood kids to a Beast with a bloodier Hunger than hers). The snickering from the other players at the hypocrisy in Mrs. Winters’ stance is reward enough for Magda to not take the point of Satiety for the third question.

quote:

Mrs. Winters, Magda’s character (detailed starting on p. XX), is running a little low — she’s only got two dots of Satiety and she’d rather not risk becoming Ravenous. She Hungers for Punishment, and her particular favorite flavor is punishing those who harm the children in her neighborhood. As it happens, Halloween was last week, and she noted a young man named Brent snatching bags of candy from some of the youngsters.

Magda decides Mrs. Winters doesn’t need to be subtle or elaborate about her punishment, not this time. She breaks into Brent’s house while he’s away and notes that he’s got a bunch of candy on his coffee table. She grabs a few soft candies and injects them with a mild poison — nothing fatal, but enough to make the bully very ill. She lurks upstairs for a while, and waits until she hears him start to retch. She then creeps up behind him with a thick plastic bag (one of the bags of candy he stole from a child) and holds it over his face until he nearly blacks out. As he lies there panting, she whispers, “Now, you behave. We see what you do on All Hallow’s Eve, and we remember.”

Just to drive the point home, she uses the You Deserve This Nightmare on Brent, and Magda is delighted to see that she’s rolled an exceptional success! That means that if the house is dark enough to match the Darkness Lair Trait of Mrs. Winters’ Lair, Magda can spend a dot of Satiety and turn this place into a new Chamber. She decides to do so; she likes the idea of having an inhabited house as a Chamber, and she doesn’t care if her Soul inflicts nightmares on Brent (and besides, the Storyteller figures Brent would make a great Hero).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As someone who has heard a lot about child abuse, up to and including parents slowly poisoning their adopted children to death to 'punish' them, this legitimately makes me angry now.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Night10194 posted:

As someone who has heard a lot about child abuse, up to and including parents slowly poisoning their adopted children to death to 'punish' them, this legitimately makes me angry now.

No, but you see, anyone reading anything unsavory into the interpretations of the game is obviously doing it wrong, because the developers would never do something as vile as imply that the players should be enjoying inflicting realistic, lovingly detailed abuse on people who-

quote:

Magda is making a character for her friend Orson’s Beast game.

quote:

Just to drive the point home, she uses the You Deserve This Nightmare on Brent, and Magda is delighted to see that she’s rolled an exceptional success!

quote:

Magda is delighted

...no you see, because the developers would never intend to imply

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I have legitimately no idea how, but this book is worse than changing breeds or that gypsy supplement.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Beast is that particular sort of horrible and horrific product that not only makes me reconsider spending money on things that OPP puts out in the future, but makes me think about cutting back on the amount I use OPP products in the present. It never really bothered me to be known as a tabletop gamer who plays White Wolf/OPP products before now, but now it's something I have to sit down and think about. I might not duck out of any current games, but I'm reconsidering whether I want to start or join any new ones in the future, even using old editions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

No, but you see, anyone reading anything unsavory into the interpretations of the game is obviously doing it wrong, because the developers would never do something as vile as imply that the players should be enjoying inflicting realistic, lovingly detailed abuse on people who-

...no you see, because the developers would never intend to imply

Of course not, they're long past Implying.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have legitimately no idea how, but this book is worse than changing breeds or that gypsy supplement.

Let's not go saying things we'll regret.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Beast doesn't make me want to stop playing nWoD/OPP games. It really, really makes me wish that a bunch of other people would stop playing them, forever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This book fails on so many loving levels that I feel legitimately concerned for the people that got it funded. Did people even read the loving PDF before they threw in money? Either answer is disappointing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SunAndSpring posted:

This book fails on so many loving levels that I feel legitimately concerned for the people that got it funded. Did people even read the loving PDF before they threw in money? Either answer is disappointing.

I'm not sure I could fault people who saw stuff like Demon, Changeling, and the 2.0 versions of Werewolf and Vampire and decided to donate sight unseen (and without wanting the spoil themselves on a raw text version of the book). They were obviously fools in retrospect, but that's a good track record to bet on.

Now, still having money in the pot knowing what we know now? Yeah, that's messed up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Let's not says things we're going to regret, here.

Edit: Woah, I post slow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, Mummy kept pretty much every aspect of the game secret until the final release, to a degree that makes Exalted Third Edition look like open development, so that pretty much tells you how much Kickstarter funding you can get purely based on OPP's reputation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tatankatonk posted:

Beast doesn't make me want to stop playing nWoD/OPP games. It really, really makes me wish that a bunch of other people would stop playing them, forever.

Same here. I'm hoping Beast gets less support than Geist and dies a quiet death.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SunAndSpring posted:

Hell, the drat product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
edit: eh, replace this post with "burn it down" and its the same thing, I'm actually running out of ways I can be angry without feeling exhausted