Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

EugeneJ posted:

Bernie's plan would help eradicate systemic racism with financial reform that takes more money from the rich and gives more money to the poor and middle-class. As far as actual racism like white people burning down entire towns 100 years ago...maybe if everyone was educated and had money, regardless of their race, that wouldn't happen?

Please explain why rich blacks still face racism, then, especially and in particular from educated middle-class and rich whites.

Look, racism in America has many faces, and one of them is systemic social and cultural racism that has little to do with economic status. It can be mitigated, but not eliminated, with education. It is just plain wrong that fixing wealth inequality and other economic problems will cure racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

EugeneJ posted:

As far as actual racism like white people burning down entire towns 100 years ago...maybe if everyone was educated and had money, regardless of their race, that wouldn't happen?

Well, this seems like the basis for your argument, so... prove it, I guess.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

EugeneJ posted:

So..you're handwaving the discrimination I introduced to the conversation and you questioned...because your discrimination is more important?

What discrimination?

quote:

Here's how this all started - Bernie has a concrete plan to try and more evenly distribute wealth. Hillary has nothing.

Bernie's plan would help eradicate systemic racism with financial reform that takes more money from the rich and gives more money to the poor and middle-class. As far as actual racism like white people burning down entire towns 100 years ago...maybe if everyone was educated and had money, regardless of their race, that wouldn't happen?

Do you not consider black people not getting jobs because they're black 'real racism'?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Feather posted:

Please explain why rich blacks still face racism, then, especially and in particular from educated middle-class and rich whites.

Look, racism in America has many faces, and one of them is systemic social and cultural racism that has little to do with economic status. It can be mitigated, but not eliminated, with education. It is just plain wrong that fixing wealth inequality and other economic problems will cure racism.

No one thinks this, but economic inequality and poverty is one of the most potent arms of racism in America, and anything that reduces that will challenge it significantly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

No one thinks this, but economic inequality and poverty is one of the most potent arms of racism in America, and anything that reduces that will challenge it significantly.

The flip side of this is that you can't reduce economic inequality and poverty for non-whites unless you directly challenge racism.

The fact that Bernie doesn't mention this makes him at best naive and at worst aware that today's society won't listen to him if it sounds like he's supporting the Blacks and Mexicans.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

taqueso posted:

Jim Carrey as Scott Walker

No way, David Schwimmer as Scott Walker. They both have that glazed-over "constantly drinking cough syrup" look in their eyes.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Well, economic inequality is directly tied to racism in America, and challenging it is a direct challenge to racism.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think it's easier to understand it in the sense that wealth/economic inequality is one of the many forms racism is expressed in society.

Even if you mandate a $15/hr minimum wage or create a true UHC system, it might make baseline suffering less pronounced, but the inequality and culture that structures it is going to remain the same. They will still face higher hurdles in getting jobs, and the justice system is still going to be stacked against them.

Saying that Bernie's economic plans on their own will somehow solve all these things seems to come from the assumption that people discriminate against black people because they're statistically poor/disadvantaged, not because they're black.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well, economic inequality is directly tied to racism in America, and challenging it is a direct challenge to racism.

Your logic is "If we solve X, we can solve (or at least significantly impact) Y without any extra effort".

The reality is that in order to solve X, you have to solve Y at the same time, using unique solutions for each problem.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

computer parts posted:

Your logic is "If we solve X, we can solve Y without any extra effort".

The reality is that in order to solve X, you have to solve Y at the same time, using unique solutions for each problem.

That's not my logic at all, and I'm not saying Bernie would eliminate or even significantly reduce racism (and neither would Hillary). I just think tackling economic inequality and poverty would absolutely help in the fight and alleviate the most clear and blatant example of racism in America, the class divide between races.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

How? What's the mechanism of action?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cantorsdust posted:

**Surgeon anti-contamination measures**

edit: if this sounds silly and semi-ritualistic to you, yeah, it kinda is. But no surgeon wants to risk post-op infection--the administrators track each surgeon's individual stats very closely.
It's ritualistic but modern surgery is a marvel and I don't care how overly neurotic and OCD a surgeon is if they are good at the operation. I don't care for their political views, but Rand Paul could laser my eyeball and Ben Carson could operate on my noggin any day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

That's not my logic at all, and I'm not saying Bernie would eliminate or even significantly reduce racism (and neither would Hillary). I just think tackling economic inequality and poverty would absolutely help in the fight and alleviate the most clear and blatant example of racism in America, the class divide between races.

Lots of people would disagree that that is the most clear and blatant example of racism. Even that aside though, tacking economic inequality and poverty will disproportionately benefit whites because of the existing racism of the system. True, maybe you'll help more non-whites, but only because all the whites already escaped poverty.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Obdicut posted:

Keeping minorities in perpetual poverty is absolutely an arm of racism, and reducing that cycle is absolutely a challenge to it. Yes, if tomorrow we achieved Full Communism and everyone was economically equal, there would still be a huge fight against racism, but saying that reducing economic inequality would not be a blow against racism in America, where the two are directly intertwined, is really silly.

Martin Luther King posted:

The problem indicates that our emphasis must be twofold: We must create full employment, or we must create incomes. People must be made consumers by one method or the other. Once they are placed in this position, we need to be concerned that the potential of the individual is not wasted. New forms of work that enhance the social good will have to be devised for those for whom traditional jobs are not available... Work of this sort could be enormously increased, and we are likely to find that the problem of housing, education, instead of preceding the elimination of poverty, will themselves be affected if poverty is first abolished. The poor, transformed into purchasers, will do a great deal on their own to alter housing decay. Negroes, who have a double disability, will have a greater effect on discrimination when they have the additional weapon of cash to use in their struggle.

Beyond these advantages, a host of positive psychological changes inevitably will result from widespread economic security. The dignity of the individual will flourish when the decisions concerning his life are in his own hands, when he has the assurance that his income is stable and certain, and when he knows that he has the means to seek self-improvement. Personal conflicts between husband, wife, and children will diminish when the unjust measurement of human worth on a scale of dollars is eliminated.

Marin Luther King posted:

want to say to you as I move to my conclusion, as we talk about "Where do we go from here?" that we must honestly face the fact that the movement must address itself to the question of restructuring the whole of American society. There are forty million poor people here, and one day we must ask the question, "Why are there forty million poor people in America?" And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising a question about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth. When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society. We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. But one day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. It means that questions must be raised. And you see, my friends, when you deal with this you begin to ask the question, "Who owns the oil?" You begin to ask the question, "Who owns the iron ore?" You begin to ask the question, "Why is it that people have to pay water bills in a world that's two-thirds water?" These are words that must be said.

A nation that will keep people in slavery for 244 years will "thingify" them and make them things. And therefore, they will exploit them and poor people generally economically. And a nation that will exploit economically will have to have foreign investments and everything else, and it will have to use its military might to protect them. All of these problems are tied together. What I'm saying today is that we must go from this convention and say, "America, you must be born again!

quote:

There is another thing closely related to racism that I would like to mention as another challenge. We are challenged to rid our nation and the world of poverty. Like a monstrous octopus, poverty spreads its nagging, prehensile tentacles into hamlets and villages all over our world. Two-thirds of the people of the world go to bed hungry tonight. They are ill-housed; they are ill-nourished; they are shabbily clad. I’ve seen it in Latin America; I’ve seen it in Africa; I’ve seen this poverty in Asia...

As I noticed these things, something within me cried out, "Can we in America stand idly by and not be concerned?" And an answer came: "Oh no!" Because the destiny of the United States is tied up with the destiny of India and every other nation. And I started thinking of the fact that we spend in America millions of dollars a day to store surplus food, and I said to myself, "I know where we can store that food free of charge—in the wrinkled stomachs of millions of God’s children all over the world who go to bed hungry at night." And maybe we spend far too much of our national budget establishing military bases around the world rather than bases of genuine concern and understanding.

Not only do we see poverty abroad, I would remind you that in our own nation there are about forty million people who are poverty-stricken. I have seen them here and there. I have seen them in the ghettos of the North; I have seen them in the rural areas of the South; I have seen them in Appalachia. I have just been in the process of touring many areas of our country and I must confess that in some situations I have literally found myself crying...

This is America’s opportunity to help bridge the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. The question is whether America will do it. There is nothing new about poverty. What is new is that we now have the techniques and the resources to get rid of poverty. The real question is whether we have the will.

In a few weeks some of us are coming to Washington to see if the will is still alive or if it is alive in this nation. We are coming to Washington in a Poor People’s Campaign. Yes, we are going to bring the tired, the poor, the huddled masses. We are going to bring those who have known long years of hurt and neglect. We are going to bring those who have come to feel that life is a long and desolate corridor with no exit signs. We are going to bring children and adults and old people, people who have never seen a doctor or a dentist in their lives.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
None of Bernie's critics (here) disagrees that race & class are intertwined. Indeed, the main criticism is that Bernie doesn't seem to think they are intertwined, otherwise he would have mentioned race in some context.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

computer parts posted:

None of Bernie's critics (here) disagrees that race & class are intertwined. Indeed, the main criticism is that Bernie doesn't seem to think they are intertwined, otherwise he would have mentioned race in some context.

Has Bernie Sanders ever said he doesn't think race and class are intertwined? Because I seriously doubt that.

quote:

The New York Times and other media have focused enormous attention on the tragedy in Ferguson, Mo., where an unarmed black youth was shot and killed by a police officer. Unfortunately, there has been very little discussion about the economic and social tragedy that has befallen an entire generation of young black men.

Today, more than 5.5 million young Americans have either dropped out of high school or graduated from high school and have no jobs. Today, while youth unemployment is 20 percent, African-American youth unemployment is 35 percent, and in the St. Louis area, it is even higher than that.

Incredibly, there are estimates that if present trends continue, one of every three black American men born today can expect to go to prison in his lifetime.

If there is anything that we can learn from the Ferguson tragedy, it should be a recognition that we need to address the extraordinary crises facing black youths. That means, among other things, a major jobs program, job training and vastly improved educational opportunities.

BERNARD SANDERS
U.S. Senator from Vermont
Burlington, Vt., Aug. 20, 2014

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well, I read Eugene's post as "thinking" just that very thing, but that's my interpretation and I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if that's not the case. Otherwise I'm in 100% agreement with you. I just disagree that it will challenge racism enough. I mean, don't get me wrong, the idea that Hillary actually is interested in addressing racism at all from any direction is a farce partisans attempt to delude others with (whether they've self-deluded or else are knowingly engaged in partisan propaganda is an exercise for the reader). Her history is a long history of supporting and pursuing policies that are deleterious to minorities economically and socially (i.e. they bolster the systemic racism in America), her recent pandering about voting rights (hard to exercise them when you're three-striked out of the "privilege") and immigrants and of the disingenuous "mea culpa" over her and her husband's actions in the 90's notwithstanding.

computer parts posted:

The flip side of this is that you can't reduce economic inequality and poverty for non-whites unless you directly challenge racism.

The fact that Bernie doesn't mention this makes him at best naive and at worst aware that today's society won't listen to him if it sounds like he's supporting the Blacks and Mexicans.
No, that's not the flip side of anything, and in fact your entire comment is way, way off the mark.

Obdicut posted:

(Insert any legitimate history of slavery and the burgeoning economy in early America here.)

Feather fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Has Bernie Sanders ever said he doesn't think race and class are intertwined? Because I seriously doubt that.

That article literally goes from "this is a tragedy, but the real tragedy is unemployment."

Like yeah, if black kids were educated more then cops wouldn't shoot them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Dick Van Dyke can play Ron Paul in a cameo role. Cheering Rand on as he beats the family's personal record to finish second in Iowa.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Cliff Racer posted:

Dick Van Dyke can play Ron Paul in a cameo role. Cheering Rand on as he beats the family's personal record to finish second in Iowa.

Ron Paul would probably be fine with playing himself.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

computer parts posted:

That article literally goes from "this is a tragedy, but the real tragedy is unemployment."

Like yeah, if black kids were educated more then cops wouldn't shoot them.

lol thats not what he saying at all, he's saying it's a tragedy that black poverty and unemployment is ignored by the media.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Keeping minorities in perpetual poverty is absolutely an arm of racism, and reducing that cycle is absolutely a challenge to it. Yes, if tomorrow we achieved Full Communism and everyone was economically equal, there would still be a huge fight against racism, but saying that reducing economic inequality would not be a blow against racism in America, where the two are directly intertwined, is really silly.

You didn't explain the mechanism of action.

See, here's my mechanism of action:

Racism causes employers to select against black candidates for jobs, fire them first, and pay them less. This causes economic inequality.

Now, how does economic equality cause racism?

Feather posted:

(Insert any legitimate history of slavery and the burgeoning economy in early America here.)

That's not a sufficient answer in any way, no. In fact, it works against your claim.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol thats not what he saying at all, he's saying it's a tragedy that black poverty and unemployment is ignored by the media.

Because if only that black kid had a job, police brutality would have ended.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

computer parts posted:

Again, he doesn't say that at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

computer parts posted:

On that note, from the Guardian's article on the FPD report:

quote:

The man accused of paedophilia with no probable cause

In 2012, a 32-year-old black man was arrested by an officer as he sat in his car cooling off after a basketball game in Ferguson public park. The officer demanded to see identification documents and accused the man of being a paedophile, referencing the presence of children in the park. He ordered the man out of his car for a pat-down and vehicle search.

When the man refused, citing constitutional rights, the officer reportedly pointed a gun at his head and arrested him, charging the man with eight counts. These included making a false declaration (the man initially provided his name as “Mike” instead of “Michael”) and providing a false address (the address provided, though legitimate, did not match the one on his driving licence).

The man then lost his job as a contractor with federal government as a direct result of the charges, he told federal investigators.

“As with its pattern of unconstitutional stops, FPD routinely makes arrests without probable cause. Frequently, officers arrest people for conduct that plainly does not meet the elements of the cited offense,” the report states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Again, he doesn't say that at all.

You're right, he doesn't talk about police brutality at all.

Kind of weird since it's in a letter talking about Ferguson.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Obdicut posted:

That's not a sufficient answer in any way, no. In fact, it works against your claim.

It's a perfectly sufficient answer, and if you actually knew anything about the history of slavery and America you'd understand why. That's why I wrote what I did: it's simply not worth the time to give you an entire history of slavery and its relationship with the economy (at large and specifically for that minority group) in a forums post. I'd basically be providing the entire education you should have received from middle-school through undergraduate study.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Feather posted:

It's a perfectly sufficient answer, and if you actually knew anything about the history of slavery and America you'd understand why.

I know a lot about the history of slavery in America.

quote:

That's why I wrote what I did: it's simply not worth the time to give you an entire history of slavery and its relationship with the economy (at large and specifically for that minority group) in a forums post. I'd basically be providing the entire education you should have received from middle-school through undergraduate study.

Again, i know a lot about the history of slavery in America. That's why I said it works against your point. Blacks were put into servitude through racism, not through economic inequality. Post-freedom, they were kept in penury and destitution through racism--economic inequality in the black community was caused by economic inequality. Economic inequality was not the cause of racism.

Does this help you understand?

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Obdicut posted:

I know a lot about the history of slavery in America.

Again, i know a lot about the history of slavery in America. That's why I said it works against your point. Blacks were put into servitude through racism, not through economic equality. Post-freedom, they were kept in penury and destitution through racism--economic inequality in the black community was caused by economic inequality. Economic inequality was not the cause of racism.

Does this help you understand?

Blacks were put into servitude through racism for economic purposes. This is a silly chicken and the egg argument when, as I said, they are inexorably linked issues. You can address racism and indirectly address inequality and poverty, and address inequality and poverty and indirectly address racism.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Blacks were put into servitude through racism for economic purposes.

Yes, they were. That doesn't equate to 'economic inequality' caused racism. Slavery was not 'economic inequality'. And American society would not have tolerated white slaves in the same way they tolerated black slaves.

quote:

This is a silly chicken and the egg argument when, as I said, they are inexorably linked issues. You can address racism and indirectly address inequality and poverty, and address inequality and poverty and indirectly address racism.

They are not inexorably linked. You can have circumstances of economic equality with racism. They are often linked, but not inexorably linked. For example, the arrest of the contractor above was not due in any way to economic inequality. That he then lost his job obviously has economic outputs.

It is really important that white liberals understand this poo poo.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
As far as Grant's / Teacher's level goes I like Famous Grouse

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mooyashi posted:

As far as Grant's / Teacher's level goes I like Famous Grouse

Someone posted in the wrong, yet truly the right thread.:v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jesus christ you idiots, Bernie's whole 'gimmick' for decades is income inequality, just because he hasn't expounded upon much policy or ideas yet in his first presidential campaign which is all of two months old doesn't make him a secret racist. It makes him a not very fleshed out candidate which allows for his 'gimmick' to seem as Bernie's silver bullet to every problem ever. Which he may actually think but I don't believe its fair to call it quite yet.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

comes along bort posted:

Someone posted in the wrong, yet truly the right thread.:v:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jesus christ you idiots, Bernie's whole 'gimmick' for decades is income inequality, just because he hasn't expounded upon much policy or ideas yet in his first presidential campaign which is all of two months old doesn't make him a secret racist. It makes him a not very fleshed out candidate which allows for his 'gimmick' to seem as Bernie's silver bullet to every problem ever. Which he may actually think but I don't believe its fair to call it quite yet.

Nobody is calling him a secret racist. People are saying he shares a flaw common among many white liberals in this country, that of not really understanding the issues that confront the Black (and other minority) communities in the US. Using Ferguson to talk about economic inequality is an example of this. Nobody--or at least, I'm not--doubting his sincere desire to improve the lives of Black americans.

So I believe it is you, sir, who is the idiot.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

ErIog posted:

Ron Paul would probably be fine with playing himself.

Sacha Baron Cohen as Ron Paul.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I concede that I may be an idiot but I still don't see why this is a huge sticking point. To effectively address racism we're going to need congress to pass laws and programs and judges to uphold them and I doubt Bernie's going to appoint rightwingers to the courts.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I concede that I may be an idiot but I still don't see why this is a huge sticking point. To effectively address racism we're going to need congress to pass laws and programs and judges to uphold them and I doubt Bernie's going to appoint rightwingers to the courts.

I think it's a huge sticking point because someone decided to come in here and opine on what ails the black community (how ignorant they are).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I think it's a huge sticking point because someone decided to come in here and opine on what ails the black community (how ignorant they are).

Well there was that idiot but this isn't the first time race and Bernie have been brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I watched Perry's announcement speech and was so distracted by the two goons flanking him.

I'm not familiar with Texas politics - do candidates always travel with two professional wrestlers in their entourage?

Edit: I also rewatched the 2012 Rick Perry 'Oops' moment - it's still the most amazing flame-out I've ever seen. He was really on fire and owning the debate and then just crashed and burned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyTQEANlmM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread