Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like nobody knows that social media is an OPSEC risk? We're not exactly giving away the loving farm here, guys.

Hell, the Cold War thread was discussing how Russian soldiers posting pictures was one of a thousand pieces of evidence debunking their claims of neutrality. And the US has been openly telling troops to shut the gently caress up on facebook about deployment schedules, flight schedules, etc for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The USAF redefined photobombing

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:golfclap:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

And the US has been openly telling troops to shut the gently caress up on facebook about deployment schedules, flight schedules, etc for years.

That didn't stop some loving dipshit officer from sending a flight roster with SSNs on it to his wife, who then posted it whole to Facebook.

That's one of three times that the army posted my SSN to the internet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

And the US has been openly telling troops to shut the gently caress up on facebook about deployment schedules, flight schedules, etc for years.

Meanwhile ships are still posting photos on the official command page, proudly identifying PO3 Bob Q. Schmuckatelli from Bumfuck, Iowa, who probably has some family there, not well protected or anything at all, just a quick phone book search, hint hint nudge nudge jihad jihad. loving blows my mind. (e: no pun intended)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Come on and SLAM, and welcome to the JDAM

Godholio posted:

Like nobody knows that social media is an OPSEC risk?
No but why would you tell dudes how you got them?

Tunicate posted:

And hell, this could be the cover story.
This is funny to think about when you know the length to which the whistleblowing crew went to avoid being compromised.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 6, 2015

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Apparantly, in the relatively early years of facebook so around 2006-7 there was a Norwegian border guard who posted a selfie from a guard tower/station. Fair enough, I guess if a bit stupid but its not like its a secret that he was doing his year up north. Anyway, this genius managed to do it in front of a wall mounted intel map showing everything we knew about Russian positions on the other side, as well as all the more or less secret guard posts down the Norwegian side of the border.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Social media is probably the best thing to ever happen to international espionage. Why go to the trouble of bribing and blackmailing people when they just post this poo poo on the internet anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

No but why would you tell dudes how you got them?

Because a success story is a success story, and I don't know if you've noticed but we haven't really won anything since the 1990s.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Meanwhile ships are still posting photos on the official command page, proudly identifying PO3 Bob Q. Schmuckatelli from Bumfuck, Iowa, who probably has some family there, not well protected or anything at all, just a quick phone book search, hint hint nudge nudge jihad jihad. loving blows my mind. (e: no pun intended)

PO3 probably has identified himself incessantly as a navy sailor at every opportunity possible, online and off. I don't really think the families of service members are at any more risk than any other civilian targets, particularly within the United States.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When ISIL had their hit list, it was literally just a list of names from "home town heroes" type stories on news channels.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kawasaki Nun posted:

PO3 probably has identified himself incessantly as a navy sailor at every opportunity possible, online and off. I don't really think the families of service members are at any more risk than any other civilian targets, particularly within the United States.

Oh, I'm sure they have, it's just a terrible and hypocritical example for a command to be setting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

When ISIL had their hit list, it was literally just a list of names from "home town heroes" type stories on news channels.

You probably don't want to know how much of your information is simply a matter of public record. For the average person you can easily get names, addresses, family members, business contacts, etc. And I'm just talking about government records that are public documents and not protected by anything (in fact, the govt is required to provide it if you ask).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

No PDA.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Motor T guy from my old company love posting "I Love JESUS!" poo poo and these loving things:

This one not once, but twice today:

and this one yesterday:

:allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How well do you suppose it would go if Muslims dressed in traditional garb and open carried assault rifles outside a church?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

Motor T guy from my old company love posting "I Love JESUS!" poo poo and these loving things:

This one not once, but twice today:

and this one yesterday:

:allears:

Not religious but both of these are actually p funny, despite being years old.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Not religious but both of these are actually p funny, despite being years old.

Yeah well imagine posting both without a hint of irony.

e: Muslims in mandress with AR/AK.

White Christians would lose their minds and someone WOULD get shot.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

USMC503 posted:

Yeah well imagine posting both without a hint of irony.

e: Muslims in mandress with AR/AK.

White Christians would lose their minds and someone WOULD get shot.

yea those white xtians would be totally owned

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

How well do you suppose it would go if Muslims dressed in traditional garb and open carried assault rifles outside a church?

True Muslims wouldn't act that way. We leave that sort of bastardy of religion to infidels. You seem to be doing such a great job of showing everyone your faith is both inconsistent and full of child rapists, why would we need to interfere?

Spacman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 7, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ISIS should go into the business of virus-laden moto chainmail if they want to cripple the US.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Godholio posted:

Because a success story is a success story, and I don't know if you've noticed but we haven't really won anything since the 1990s.

it worked a lot better when we hit it and quit it. not move in and try and raise their 8 kids

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Islam is responsible for the forward-thinking and progressive societies we see in the Mideast today. And math.
gently caress math.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

go3 posted:

it worked a lot better when we hit it and quit it. not move in and try and raise their 8 kids

While letting everybody else gently caress her and make more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Godholio posted:

While letting everybody else gently caress her and make more.

our entire strategy is enlisted.txt

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I for one salute Marine Todd for his valor in the face of the enemy.

God Speed Marine Todd.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

go3 posted:

our entire strategy is enlisted.txt

actually I knew an officer that married a woman with 8 kids

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

And that marine was Albert Einstein.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

this is extremely my poo poo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Someone post the one that turned into a text description of that Marine fighting a dragon commercial.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Would watch this anime.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That was the OP of an entire thread of those, someone post the link.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This one? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631118

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
thx imgur

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER but i am also a frightened baby so this whole movement confuses me.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Why do bible belt southerners always assume all soldiers are these loving christian warriors sent from god doing his work? The only religious dudes I knew were scrawny little weirdos who wouldn't even say anything close to a curse word, smoke or drink, and weren't even combat arms.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

They don't.

They just know that filthy dirtfoot hippy liberals hate the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Could have fooled me with all the Facebook bullshit I see.