Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Pure would love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Since the basic function of Beasts is to make people feel scared and helpless w/r/t forces greater than they are, they'd neatly serve the aims of all sorts of sinister power structures; the Invictus, Sanctum, and even Circle might all approve, the Fire-Touched and Predator Kings and maybe particularly militant Hunters in Darkness are all going to be hooting and hollering, Thearchs really into the "lion" posture (and who've lost sight of what it's supposed to engender) and any number of Seer factions are going to be breaking out the martinis... I'm actually not sure if I'd specifically associate Beasts with the Exarch of Life, although that might be because I've either forgotten or missed an update re: The Raptor's schtick.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

So what faction from each splat would join with Beasts to terrorize humanity and just generally make things worse for everyone?

Strix, Bale Hounds, Banishers, True Fae, Centimani, Ashwood Abbey/The Hunt Club, the Mummy enemy splat

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The True Fae, as mentioned. The Autumn Court would say that beasts aren't just missing the point, but are being an active threat who deserve a nice, long Summer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So is the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer civil or criminal? Maybe we can get 'em to sue the poo poo out of the Beast that mimics Werewolf attacks for servicemark infringement.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wouldn't the Banishers see another facet of magic to smash in Beasts? Seems like the folks who cozy up to the Abyss would like them more.

Effectronica posted:

So is the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer civil or criminal? Maybe we can get 'em to sue the poo poo out of the Beast that mimics Werewolf attacks for servicemark infringement.

He's one of those Daredevil style of lawyers who takes whatever the plot hook of the week dictates.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I think beasts are a mite too unpredictable for the Seers to like them as anything more than very temporary pawns. Also, they're full of themselves and I don't think Seers could abide an equally sized ego for long.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 8, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Effectronica posted:

Strix, Bale Hounds, Banishers, True Fae, Centimani, Ashwood Abbey/The Hunt Club, the Mummy enemy splat

TBH I don't think any of the Mummy antagonists would be down with Beasts save for maybe Ammut.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is Batman a Hero?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's not a matter of pawns or egos - I don't see any particular reason that one of the Seers would actually bother dealing personally with a beast except for, like, personal reasons. Beasts just happen to be yet another fallen world phenomenon that reinforce the Quiescence, albeit on a more personal scale than war and disease. If you're the local Tetrarch and your servant hands you a report that says the local small claims judge is actually some sort of abuse elemental, you say "Good." and sit back in your extremely comfy chair.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is Batman a Hero?

He's every splat at once, like Rasputin.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ferrinus posted:

abuse elemental.

Can we petition them to rename the game this?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I was thinking of Timori-Banishers when I wrote that, but Banishers are Awakened and can tell Beasts aren't Supernal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
When you get right down to it, Beasts' carefully-constructed compatibility with every splat does pretty much make them better matches for the evil versions of those splats than the good ones, doesn't it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rand Brittain posted:

When you get right down to it, Beasts' carefully-constructed compatibility with every splat does pretty much make them better matches for the evil versions of those splats than the good ones, doesn't it?

The only tribe among the forsaken who would even give the Beasts the time of day are the Hunters in Darkness, because Beasts basically stole Black Wolf's schtick down to the letter. How the pure would react depends on the specific beast they're interacting with. Ivory Claws would be fine as long as they keep away from their bloodlines. Predator Kings would probably get along fine with the more violent and direct beasts. The Fire-Touched would probably try and control the Beasts somehow. Or get mad at them for loving up the spirit world.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I regularly play in a game where the entire idea is to be cartoonishly evil supervillains. Beast is still way too loving far even by my tremendously warped standards.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Loomer posted:

I regularly play in a game where the entire idea is to be cartoonishly evil supervillains. Beast is still way too loving far even by my tremendously warped standards.

That's because a lot of what's going on in Beast isn't really cartoonish at all. Stylized to an extent, yes, but not cartoonish. You're being encouraged to roleplay direct forms and instances of IRL abuse, and to rationalize that abuse away in the same way actual abusers do.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
lol you guys are still posting about this subpar anti bullying changeling rip off

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Crion posted:

That's because a lot of what's going on in Beast isn't really cartoonish at all. Stylized to an extent, yes, but not cartoonish. You're being encouraged to roleplay direct forms and instances of IRL abuse, and to rationalize that abuse away in the same way actual abusers do.

Yeah, if it was supernaturally themed violence, it would be way less weird. None of my friends have ever been bitten by a vampire, but it's very possible to know a woman who has been stalked and threatened, or know a guy who was abused by his employer, or know someone who was assaulted and mugged, etc. The fact that the bad things the beast does are real bad things and not fictional ones makes a huge difference in how the "but we don't kill people, so we aren't evil" justification comes off.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mexcillent posted:

lol you guys are still posting about this subpar anti bullying changeling rip off

Pro bullying*

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mexcillent posted:

I know, right? It's like a trainwreck involving kittens and jelly beans- a horrible mess of something that could and should have been good, but you can't help but look at and discuss now.

EDIT: Spelling.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Something else I've found. Look at this horrible no-goodnik of a Hero:

quote:

Sleeping Beauty

Background: Heroes on the hunt have seen glimpses of a young warrior queen in their dreams, pointing the way to the Lair of their quarry. When they get to the creature’s Lair, she’s there, fighting beside them to vanquish the creature. She says she is sleeping somewhere in the real world and beseeches the Heroes she allies with to find her. To date, none of the Children or the Heroes who have encountered her can track her down.

If they did, they would be surprised at what they see: a sickly teenage girl named Melanie, trapped in a coma for the past two years. Doctors and nurses regularly check her bedside, as do worried family members. Her mother spends the entire window of visiting hours sitting with her daughter, either knitting or working on crosswords to pass the time. Her father drops in when he can. They have no idea what caused their presumably healthy daughter to fall so ill, and the doctors are equally stumped.

Melanie fell into the coma after an enterprising Collector sought her out to take God-knows-what from her in order to feed his own hoard. He never got what he wanted; instead of cowering, she gave chase, following him right back to his Lair where she killed him. When she tried to make it back to the real world, however, something went horribly wrong. Her body made it back, but her soul remains in the Primordial Dream, just out of reach. She learns a great deal from the other Heroes she encounters, though she has yet to chase a Beast back out of the Primordial Dream into the mortal world. Through their guidance and a heavily assisted kill, Melanie does not even need a physical presence to strike out at her enemies.

With each victory, Melanie grows stronger, and in her hospital bed, she twitches in her sleep, her hands clenching into fists and unclenching. Her body shows remarkably few signs of atrophying despite the coma, and it gives her parents and doctors hope that one day they may see Melanie, their darling daughter, walk and smile again. They have no idea what keeps Melanie preserved through her coma. When Melanie awakens, she will take everything away from the creatures who took away years of her life.

Description: In the physical world, Melanie is a gaunt, delicate slip of a girl with pale, dull, lifeless hair and glazed-over eyes. She rests in a hospital bed, wearing a thin hospital gown that does very little to protect against the elements. Then again, she doesn’t need to worry about that.In the Primordial Dream, her hair is a lustrous blonde mane and her eyes are a clear ice blue. Her armor gleams with light reflected from some unknown source.

Storytelling Notes: Melanie does not fully understand what has happened to her, or how to free herself. She knows that her body is asleep somewhere, but doesn’t know if she can get back to it or how. She is young and scared, and likely not aware of how long she has been separated from her body. Still, she’s smart and determined, even if she assumes that any Hero she meets will help her get back to her body.

Melanie’s Life is Comatose; since she is stuck in a coma, she can’t do much else in the physical world. She’s trapped between worlds and can’t reach her body to fulfill her destiny as a Hero. If anyone who wishes to do her bodily harm finds her body, she has little to no recourse to defend herself.

Her Legend as a Dreamer stems from the way she can manifest her full potential and fight what she sees as the good fight. Dreams are where anyone can be who they want to be. In her mind, Beasts do the most damage in dreams; humanity’s inner demons trouble dreams enough without the Begotten cultivating and preying on those fears. With her powers as a Hero, she can follow the Children from dreams back to their Lair, the place where they can be who they truly are, and show them how it feels to be the victim.

Who knew the most :black101: thing in a game about playing Cthulhu was a teenage girl in a coma? Seriously, THIS is a PC I want to play, even if she's supposed to be the bad guy.

EDIT: Proof that she's an evil bitchwhore who deserves all she gets:

quote:

The Hero has expectations. Forget his delusions and his ego, and even forget the monster that made him a zealot in the first place. It’s not the Beast who taught him how the tale is told. He goes to the movies; he reads books; he plays video games. His culture’s rammed the plot into him since he could understand words. The story belongs to him.

Sometimes the Hero’s not perfect, but it’s always about him, no matter how dynamic the villain may be. The Hero could be summed up in totality by his chiseled jaw and his big gun, but the camera always owes allegiance to his shallow perspective. That structure manipulates us into believing what the Hero believes: that deviation is abnormal, immoral, and subversive. These narratives build him into the worst kind of Hollywood mogul, the director-writer-producer-star, wrapped up in a crusader’s moral compass.

Beasts set out with the same cultural cues as their nemeses, but they learn to see through the self-aggrandizing Heroic media. The Beast knows the Hero doesn’t earn his title without her. The story isn’t told if the monster doesn’t burn the countryside. This is the truth Heroes can never hide; the Beast is the actor. The Hero reacts, defined by what he opposes, doomed to wait out his miserable life hoping some troll will carry off a goat.

RPG.net weighs in:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757990-Beast-ish-Do-the-antagonists-need-to-be-less-sympathetic-than-the-PCs&p=19074975#post19074975
Someone else sum it up, I'm too busy being pumped about how :black101: Melanie is to get mad.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommissarMega posted:

Who knew the most :black101: thing in a game about playing Cthulhu was a teenage girl in a coma? Seriously, THIS is a PC I want to play, even if she's supposed to be the bad guy.

You see, the whole "murdering children" thing goes back to the playtest leak. Because I remember reading that and doing something of a spit-take when compared to everything else about Heroes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

RPG.net weighs in:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757990-Beast-ish-Do-the-antagonists-need-to-be-less-sympathetic-than-the-PCs&p=19074975#post19074975
Someone else sum it up, I'm too busy being pumped about how :black101: Melanie is to get mad.

I feel like this is an elaborate hoax. Like, that reads like one of the sample mage characters from one of the Mage 2.0 previews. It's awesome. :psyduck:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CommissarMega posted:

RPG.net weighs in:

Nezumi-chan from RPG.net posted:

Even Sleeping Beauty, who you mention, although more sympathetic than most, blames Beasts for what was actually an unhappy accident that could have been avoided if she'd been less reckless, and chooses to help other Heroes hunt Beasts just because she thinks they might help her return to her body rather than out of any altruism or desire to make the world better.

that fuckin' bitch trying to get back what was stolen from her and trying to get home to her body! she deserves to be in a neverending nightmare of a coma dream! If she'd just let herself be victimized none of this would've happened! :barf:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone help me, because upon reading this for a second time:

quote:

Melanie fell into the coma after an enterprising Collector sought her out to take God-knows-what from her in order to feed his own hoard.
I've noticed it doesn't actually mention what the Collector was going to take :suicide:

Then again, it makes Melanie all the more heroic for doing what she did AND WHY CAN'T WE PLAY AS HEROES AGAIN?!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CommissarMega posted:

I've noticed it doesn't actually mention what the Collector was going to take :suicide:

Then again, it makes Melanie all the more heroic for doing what she did AND WHY CAN'T WE PLAY AS HEROES AGAIN?!

Maybe Beast is just a clever ploy to get us to demand a new run of Hunter books.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

I guess because that book already exists, and it's Hunter: the Vigil.

Like, Heroes could be a pseudo-conspiracy it almost seems like.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Hunter 2E: The Beast Chronicle

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm still chuckling at the idea of a Beast taking the book's recommended path of trying to make hunters question themselves by turning the question of who the real monster is on them.

"Perhaps it is you who is the real monster"

"Bro, I'm a 1%er who signed up to a society of people who hunt monsters because exploiting ordinary people became too pedestrian. I didn't pay attention to half of what you just said because I was too busy considering which parts of you I can snort to make me horny. Unless you have any suggestions, I'm going to shoot you now"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Guilty posted:

that fuckin' bitch trying to get back what was stolen from her and trying to get home to her body! she deserves to be in a neverending nightmare of a coma dream! If she'd just let herself be victimized none of this would've happened! :barf:

Even the guy who brings that up renegs on it later in the argument once he realizes that there's literally nothing else for her to do. The beasts have put her in hell and there's nothing else she can do but fight against it.

Hell, she's also an example of Heroes being altruistic. Other heroes let her steal their kills. Killing beasts is how Heroes get their powers, and they're letting this poor little ghost girl kill their monsters because that's the only way she can go on existing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

someone from RPG.net posted:

And then you have the sample characters, who includes what seems like a MRA's worst caricature of a feminist, the Worlds Worst Taxi Driver, and, as a sample hero, a literal fedora-wearing neckbeard who says m'lady. I physically cringed out of embarrassment for the author at that point. It also includes a section on how Heroes are totally Gamergate, which was just as bad.

For real? I am having a hard time believing this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Is the stuff about the "hunter response" still in the Beast corebook?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Melanie is a badass.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

For real? I am having a hard time believing this.

Description: Thaddeus is a tall, skinny man in his mid-30s, clean-shaven with pale skin and neatly cut hair. During office hours, Thaddeus wears business casual polo shirts and slacks, and is completely unremarkable. While out hunting monsters, he wears a poorly fitted trenchcoat and a black trilby hat. Thaddeus considers himself a modern gentleman and speaks with an unnecessarily verbose vocabulary, dotted with “chivalric” language he’s mostly picked up from fantasy movies and novels.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Hunter 2E: The Beast Chronicle

No poo poo. I read Melanie adds said to myself, "holy poo poo, I wish my characters were this awesome"

That's a PC right there, or at least a plot device NPC for your game's PCs to seek out/rescue

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

Description: Thaddeus is a tall, skinny man in his mid-30s, clean-shaven with pale skin and neatly cut hair. During office hours, Thaddeus wears business casual polo shirts and slacks, and is completely unremarkable. While out hunting monsters, he wears a poorly fitted trenchcoat and a black trilby hat. Thaddeus considers himself a modern gentleman and speaks with an unnecessarily verbose vocabulary, dotted with “chivalric” language he’s mostly picked up from fantasy movies and novels.

hahahahahahahahaha goddamn

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hey do Heroes also hunt other supernaturals or only the supernaturals who are totes the moral superior of the rest of the world

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm probably the biggest opp cheerleader in trad games (outside of mage)' but Beast is just so off putting. The 180 I've done since the announcement of this game last year and now is mind boggling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

to be fair to beast, it has both a caricature of an MRA goonlord and and an incredibly stupid caricature of what an MRA might imagine a feminist is