Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

WarpedNaba posted:

Auckland Uni or AUT? Because the exact type of dumbass differs between the two.

no they're both retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's a whole history behind teachers being poorly paid and there are a number of reasons for it. Firstly they're easy to take advantage of, because if you under-resource someone in most jobs they will tell you to piss off and not do the job, if you under resource a teacher they still have empathy for the children. It's also traditionally been one of the few professional jobs that women can get, so even though they're poorly paid for a professional, they're reasonably well paid compared to other women.

[EDIT: It's not so much like this now, but it takes a long time for things to change]

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this. Vagabundo will surely elaborate on the matter but critical thinking and such is difficult to measure in a tangible way and would require time, resources and leeway to teach that teachers just don't have because they're under enormous pressure just to get everyone past a certain level. Most people seem incapable of critical thinking or comprehending what they're reading if it's more complicated than a magazine article so whatever they're doing isn't working.

I've always found it bizarre how arguably the most fundamental and important profession in society is treated like poo poo. Like, teachers are actually making future society out of the kids they teach and somehow this is deemed less financially important than lawyers and poo poo. It's like, CEO's aside, wages usually scale with job responsibility to some extent. Plumbers get paid more than checkout operators, doctors get paid more than plumbers etc because their job is more difficult, entails more responsibility and demands a higher level of don't-gently caress-this-up. Teachers have the most critical profession in the world yet get paid next to nothing and get shat on by basically everyone as a group. IDGI. I can't be the only person to think this way.

Vagabundo is not the only resident teacher :ssh:

Not a majority, but certainly a good swag of people think of teaching as care work, so we suffer from the same industrial/professional low wage ghetto that all care work does. The main problem I think is that a majority of people assume that what we teach kids are basically processions of technical skills that anyone can learn and because these skills are easy then anyone can teach it. The result is that teaching isn't really thought of as a profession, because supposedly anyone could do it. The government doesn't help this with their parachute teacher training programs and data driven bullshit.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight posted:

Those who can't do, teach :smuggo: #hoskins

Heard him call the Greens sensible and economically conservative yesterday morning btw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Also I totally meant #hosking.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I also have heard from a reliable source that he's the kind of person that will shout "don't you know who I am" in righteous indignation when he doesn't get his way.

fong posted:

Vagabundo is not the only resident teacher :ssh:

Not a majority, but certainly a good swag of people think of teaching as care work, so we suffer from the same industrial/professional low wage ghetto that all care work does. The main problem I think is that a majority of people assume that what we teach kids are basically processions of technical skills that anyone can learn and because these skills are easy then anyone can teach it. The result is that teaching isn't really thought of as a profession, because supposedly anyone could do it. The government doesn't help this with their parachute teacher training programs and data driven bullshit.

Pretty much what Slavvy said, and as fong has implied, I think I'm one of maybe 3 or 4 teachers that post regularly in this thread. And yeah, critical thinking and empathy is the basic tenets that my subjects are built on, but we are up against so much bullshit from all corners.

A large part of teaching is now being bogged down in what one of my colleagues called "data hoarding" and I am genuinely worried about what outcome the PPTA's negotiations with the MoE will have. There's just so much bullshit in the margins of what we do, that it's starting to drive people out of the career.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

There's just so much bullshit in the margins of what we do, that it's starting to drive people out of the career.

Average teacher lasts less than 5 years~

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Exclamation Marx posted:

Heard him call the Greens sensible and economically conservative yesterday morning btw

how out of character of him to have a wandwavy bullshit opinion about something

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Hoskins also stood up for FIFA and Blatter on 7 Sharp last night essentially saying "if he's so corrupt how come he got voted back in??"

fong posted:

Here's a good post about the issues with Chester Burrows proposed change to abortion law (making it mandatory to inform parents for girls under 16)

http://thedailyblog.co.nz/2015/06/03/the-real-issues-behind-the-parental-consent-debate/

:eyepop: I sure hope the 2 dudes in the comments section are trolling...

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I am genuinely worried about what outcome the PPTA's negotiations with the MoE will have.

Taking the long view the secondary teacher union have really lost a lot of ground - my old man always reminds me how they used to have wage parity with politicians.

How the gently caress did the PPTA fail for so wrong?

I think in large part the natural desire to protect the more incompetent teachers has helped undermine the profession in the eyes of the public. Every student knows that there are a significant number of the worthless and the lazy, and they are right.

If the PPTA had campaigned more eagerly to jettison the damaging elements of the profession I think society would have a lot more sympathy to teacher salary claims. Only a theory mind.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

One of the less attractive but still important sides of any union is the unquestioned protection of workers. Even the lovely dead weight ones. With teachers' unions unfortunately it also means that the unions fund lawyers for people charged with sexual assault/indecency etc, even when those people are guilty.

However I think if unions hold anything other than an absolute stance on protecting workers then the doors open for all kinds of corruption, divide and conquer tactics, in-fighting etc. Ultimately I think the unions would lose their purpose.

The reason PPTA and NZEI have lost ground on pay is because we've had miserly government after miserly government and teachers aren't prepared to go on strike every single time the collective agreement is up for re-negotiation.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

fong posted:

One of the less attractive but still important sides of any union is the unquestioned protection of workers. Even the lovely dead weight ones. With teachers' unions unfortunately it also means that the unions fund lawyers for people charged with sexual assault/indecency etc, even when those people are guilty.

However I think if unions hold anything other than an absolute stance on protecting workers then the doors open for all kinds of corruption, divide and conquer tactics, in-fighting etc. Ultimately I think the unions would lose their purpose.

Of course unions provide representation, but the decision to actively fight for the protection of the poorest performers is a strategic one.

I can't think of an entirely analogous example from NZ industrial relations of the sort of relationship I'm getting at, but the union and employer on some sites cooperate closely to ensure that those not up to scratch can be culled. The attitude of the medical unions towards inept workers is very different from that expressed by the PPTA say.

It's definitely a contrast.

But then the issue is "what is a bad teacher?" and which Wellington moron is going to introduce some arbitrary criteria to ruin teachers lives over some poorly performing kids in class. Someone has to teach the poo poo kids

quote:

The reason PPTA and NZEI have lost ground on pay is because we've had miserly government after miserly government and teachers aren't prepared to go on strike every single time the collective agreement is up for re-negotiation.
A shame: get more militant please. Time for a push.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Teachers are in the unenviable position of being necessary enough that them striking would be seen as malicious moneygrubbing on their part at the expense of children's educations, and also being poorly compensated enough that the position tends to retain only those idealistically invested in teaching children.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

WarpedNaba posted:

Auckland Uni or AUT? Because the exact type of dumbass differs between the two.

Also re: Uniforms, I'm fairly certain it's a way for schools to get around being underfunded/greedy fuckers.

Havelock North High had the worst loving fashion, though. Maroon wool jumpers and Grey short shorts.

I don't think an institution that has to have "university" in its name twice could possibly be one

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
What about the teacher who was having sex with 17 year old boys at her school, did the union get lawyers for her? Just wondering.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

puchu posted:

What about the teacher who was having sex with 17 year old boys at her school, did the union get lawyers for her? Just wondering.

probably, if she was in the union

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
why wouldn't the unions provide legal aid? a person could be guilty as poo poo but until they're, you know, convicted, they should probably have at least some presumption of innocence.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

focal ischemia posted:

why wouldn't the unions provide legal aid? a person could be guilty as poo poo but until they're, you know, convicted, they should probably have at least some presumption of innocence.

That's kinda my point

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Double post, but Mihingarangi Forbes has resigned now too :smith:

Its really sudden and almost certainly involves drama in Maori TV.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 4, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Yesterday Key kept insinuating a bunch of poo poo over the Saudi bribe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIB2EgfPlU0

Today the Nats blocked Labour from tabling the papers he claimed were evidence :laugh:

it's like that Donghua Liu $100000 bottle of wine all over again

fong posted:

Double post, but Mihingarangi Forbes has resigned now too :smith:

Its really sudden and almost certainly involves drama in Maori TV.

Campbell Live and Native Affairs were the best :rip: she was on Campbell previously, funnily enough. Maori TV's management is stacked with National people as well, isn't it? (Georgina Te Heuheu etc)

e: cites "management interference in the popular Native Affairs current affairs show"

exmarx fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 4, 2015

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

she was on Campbell previously, funnily enough.

New Zealand's best television interviewer. She is really understated and people just can't help but open up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsxY4ukd0s

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha, I remember that. What happened to him? Did he go get hosed?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Proper hosed

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Campbell Live and Native Affairs were the best :rip: she was on Campbell previously, funnily enough. Maori TV's management is stacked with National people as well, isn't it? (Georgina Te Heuheu etc)

Yeah, Maori TV is hosed. Georgina Te Heuheu is a sitting National MP who has been given power to lead a review of the station. Meanwhile she is also a personal friend of Paora Maxwell, who she and the board appointed back in March as the new CEO, despite strenuous objections from staff.

Meanwhile National canned the charter for TVNZ back in 2011 and the new CEO there is explicit in only wanting it to exist as a commercially viable business so the only NZ stuff on there now has been made with NZ On Air funding.

basically we have a dire need for an independent state broadcasting service

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fong posted:

basically we have a dire need for an independent state broadcasting service

aye

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I think I missed the NZ education chat, but I actually learned more about New Zealand Maori/Pakeha history in a theatre studies paper at uni than anything I got taught at high school. (22, if age is relevant.)
I do wish that Te Reo had been compulsory at school, I would have hated it at the time (I hated anything compulsory, really) but now I realise that having that knowledge is something I would have later appreciated.

Slavvy posted:

I've always found it bizarre how arguably the most fundamental and important profession in society is treated like poo poo. Like, teachers are actually making future society out of the kids they teach and somehow this is deemed less financially important than lawyers and poo poo. It's like, CEO's aside, wages usually scale with job responsibility to some extent. Plumbers get paid more than checkout operators, doctors get paid more than plumbers etc because their job is more difficult, entails more responsibility and demands a higher level of don't-gently caress-this-up. Teachers have the most critical profession in the world yet get paid next to nothing and get shat on by basically everyone as a group. IDGI. I can't be the only person to think this way.

My Swiss mother told me I should study to be a teacher because it's a high-paying job. I laughed at the time, but when I looked it up afterwards I found out that in Switzerland teachers actually do earn higher than the average wage. It's good that at least one country is treating its teachers well, I guess?

My teachers at high school were pretty great in retrospect, and put up with so much poo poo. I don't know how they did it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/275520/mihingarangi-forbes-joins-radio-new-zealand
Forbes is joining RNZ :hellyeah:

fong posted:

Georgina Te Heuheu is a sitting National MP

She left parliament in 2011, so it's not quite that bad.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

She left parliament in 2011, so it's not quite that bad.

oh good

still, not exactly a politically neutral figure

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

brb planning suit with needles full of acid injected into people I hug.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

brb planning suit with needles full of acid injected into people I hug.

She will get you first.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Yeah, that's clearly a trap.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The NZH posted:

Prime News outrates TV3 as audience numbers halve

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11461802

Haha

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Whoa, there will be some serious hand wringing going on at Mediaworks right now!

What's the bet the 'solution' is a massive swing to the right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Pararoid posted:

That's ALWAYS the solution

:smithicide:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pararoid posted:

Whoa, there will be some serious hand wringing going on at Mediaworks right now!

24 hour Paul Henry

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

fong posted:

24 hour Paul Henry

this, hopefully he will die from overwork

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

this, hopefully he will die from overwork

That would imply he's capable of getting tired of running his mouth.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That would imply he's capable of getting tired of running his mouth.

Plus I suspect he's able to sustain himself from the hot air he's blowing.

Also, what's going on with your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread