Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

And then it hits me. It's a 16 port switch, only 8 of the 16 are POE.

I just about jump out a window I'm so mad. I show the client, and for a second he stands there dumbfounded. And then he looks at me and just starts screaming angrily at me. Turns out my company sold him the switches (which I didn't know) but says they were 16 port POE switches, but sent him the cheaper half and half. I call the salesman/owner and he's like "yeah, we said they were all POE, but since half aren't going to have phones, we figured we could use the cheaper ones to save money, why would he care?"

Turns out the client cared very much.

This is one of those situations where I would have told the client to please stop screaming so that I could scream properly on behalf of both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

A3th3r posted:

the complain about work thread in this forum has turned into the duck pictures thread

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I just about jump out a window I'm so mad. I show the client, and for a second he stands there dumbfounded. And then he looks at me and just starts screaming angrily at me. Turns out my company sold him the switches (which I didn't know) but says they were 16 port POE switches, but sent him the cheaper half and half. I call the salesman/owner and he's like "yeah, we said they were all POE, but since half aren't going to have phones, we figured we could use the cheaper ones to save money, why would he care?"

Turns out the client cared very much.

One of my company's former sales guys tried to pull that once, quoted the customer a full PoE switch and purchased a half-PoE unit. Conveniently we had 13 phones in the office at the time. I took the office switch (full 24 port PoE) out to the customer and *somehow* his port ended up plugged in to the non-PoE side of the new one. Fortunately my boss is awesome and agreed he deserved that.

I seriously hate those things even existing though, way too many customers have thought they're being smart and saving money by buying one without realizing what they've actually bought.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

:wiggle: my gf looks similar to this & i swear this is like the default facial expression for chicks who are like that. They always look like they are waiting for an incoming kiss ;-*

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

wolrah posted:

One of my company's former sales guys tried to pull that once, quoted the customer a full PoE switch and purchased a half-PoE unit. Conveniently we had 13 phones in the office at the time. I took the office switch (full 24 port PoE) out to the customer and *somehow* his port ended up plugged in to the non-PoE side of the new one. Fortunately my boss is awesome and agreed he deserved that.

I seriously hate those things even existing though, way too many customers have thought they're being smart and saving money by buying one without realizing what they've actually bought.

Whatever it is, be it switches, ports, configurations, laptops, OSes, make them all the same, mmmkay?

The moment you introduce a variant into your formerly uniform set, you will curse the day that fork happened every time you have to interact with it or remember it or deal with it. "Oh yeah, THIS range of ports do only X, but THAT ranges does X and Y."

My boss tried to do that with switches in a stack for an office once:

Boss: Can we buy 10/100 switches for printers, PoE switches to the desktop and non-PoE for the servers?

Me: Only if you un-gently caress this first:

In that same job we had a 100% Windows environment and then they hired some special snowflake who was allowed to buy his own laptop and yeah, Mac.

I had to explain to that same boss, who was a complete moron about such things, that for one laptop I was now basically going to have to double my administrative overhead. Push patches? Oh yeah. Mac. Outlook archiving? Oh yeah. Mac. Bitlocker? Oh yeah. Mac. SharePoint on Internet Explorer? Oh yeah. Mac.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

Yeah, that's a little crazy. Talk to her about it?
I can't talk to her about it, because the early shift is a "volume shift", and my email to her that showing up six hours early is insanity just got the response, "How would you recommend changing it?" I don't know how to offer a recommendation without redoing the entire loving schedule, which isn't my job.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

anthonypants posted:

I can't talk to her about it, because the early shift is a "volume shift", and my email to her that showing up six hours early is insanity just got the response, "How would you recommend changing it?" I don't know how to offer a recommendation without redoing the entire loving schedule, which isn't my job.

Your last sentence sounds like a good response if the issue is important enough to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Notoriously tight client put a failed disk back in their NAS "because Seatools said it was fine and a new one costs money". Jesus christ :psyduck:.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

jim truds posted:

My boss just told me I don't yell enough.

E: like seriously. The issue isn't that I don't treat things with urgency or that my work isn't fast enough. I just don't look urgent enough.

Yeah I get that as well. I had one director tell me I need to be more stressed out.

Quite a lot of people in the workplace seem to see "calm under pressure", despite often being a requirement in the job ad, as being lazy / not giving a gently caress

It doesn't help that we have one who actually runs through the corridors when going to see people (obviously didn't get enough teachers sticking their heads out of their classrooms and yelling "OI! No running in the corridor!" when she was a kid) and one who is a workaholic and really showy with working through lunch, continuing to deal with customers all night and all weekend and even when she's supposed to be having a week's break in the Bahamas, who later complained to her manager about a colleague who was on a holiday of his own at the same not responding to emails. People like that end up setting ridiculous standards for everyone else, and are not even all that helpful if you need anything off them as they're like "okjustgoingtobabbleatyoureallyquicklyleaveitwithyoukthanksbyyyye!" and then off in a cloud of dust before you can say "what?"

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's perfectly okay to be calm and unstressed but you want to avoid giving the impression that you don't care or you don't think anything is important

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

It's perfectly okay to be calm and unstressed but you want to avoid giving the impression that you don't care or you don't think anything is important
Some people are completely incapable of perceiving the difference.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

That was the problem my former boss had. He couldn't tell my calm from indifference. I think that's why we got the thread title too. :sigh:

Oh well, I :yotj:'ed and things are vastly better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm the person that has to be told to slow down and calm down whenever we get a lot of tickets at once.

We don't have any SLAs, which is pretty cool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need SLAs so you have something to point at when you get one days notice of a new hire. Just make sure that you are sufficiently staffed/equipped to make sure you can keep to your side of the agreement.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We have loaner equipment for our main branches. Smaller branches, we have to ship stuff out anyway. And to go with that, we have a really good IT director who wouldn't back down in a case like that. He also told us that if we wanted, we could tell anyone who got hold of our numbers to submit a ticket instead of helping them immediately, at our discretion He's already refused to put an IT hotline number out because we don't have the staff, and we shouldn't encourage people tocut to the front of the line.

I like my bosses.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, as a manager, I hate people who I have to micromanage because if I don't tell them what to do in precise terms, they will gently caress off and do nothing of value and/or drag their feet for weeks. Give me a strong-willed team of people who will tell me when and why I'm being retarded, when there are better solutions, and to point out things I didn't think of, and everything's perfect. Give me people who need to be called out and repeatedly reminded of "yes, you need to do a code review before you push code" and "yes, you do in fact need to do the essential job function you were hired for without being told explicitly every single week", and you have just contributed negative value to the organization when you just shrug off these reminders.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

New hire season this time of year, what with college graduations happening at this point & everything. Of course, the really smart candidates have something lined up & are on the job junior or senior year, but I digress..

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pay more.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I have had to teach myself to be a pretty zen person to balance out the natural part of me that worries about everything so I am sure some of it comes off as indifference. However, I got all this in the same breath that I was told good job on a project and took the initiative of continuing it to the next step so who loving knows. This place is really hung up on cosmetic issues.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
New project manager seems to think that writing a schedule down and marking it on a calendar means things will happen exactly like that. On one hand, its kind of adorable to have that confidence and positivity, but it is also pretty aggravating. We are rolling out some wireless equipment and are having a tough time actually getting the equipment. The Aruba/HP merger seems to have hosed things up with our vendor's supply, so what used to show up in a week is now just ?????. PM just keeps assuming things will show up in a week, and then gets surprised when we mention we still don't have shipping info. Then they look at the calendar and ask if we'll still make it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We've also got birds at my work!

That's definitely poo poo pissing everyone off. Those gulls spend all day screaming.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just like humans, seagull chicks are cute at first but grow up to be insufferable assholes.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nielsm posted:

That's definitely poo poo pissing everyone off. Those gulls spend all day screaming.

I know that feeling.. Here's a view from where I work.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

nielsm posted:

I used to work at a factory that had a pretty sizable gull population nesting on its roof, since it was completely inaccessible by most predators. The factory wasnt close to a sea or a major lake but there were 2 largeish landfills like 5km away

Goddamn chicks are dumb enough to fall out of their nests constantly, yet sturdy enough not to die when hitting pavement, meaning the angry parents will try to dive bomb you when you merely walk past their retarded offspring that you didnt spot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sormus posted:

I used to work at a factory that had a pretty sizable gull population nesting on its roof, since it was completely inaccessible by most predators. The factory wasnt close to a sea or a major lake but there were 2 largeish landfills like 5km away
Time to introduce some hawks in the area.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sormus posted:

Goddamn chicks are dumb enough to fall out of their nests constantly, yet sturdy enough not to die when hitting pavement, meaning the angry parents will try to dive bomb you when you merely walk past their retarded offspring that you didnt spot.

Alka-Seltzer. I'm just saying.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

Just like humans, seagull chicks are cute at first but grow up to be insufferable assholes.

If I won the lottery I would just run around blasting those fuckers with a shotgun. I wouldn't even care about the $1,000/bird fine.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sirotan posted:

:3: :3: :3:

Please continue to post about their adorable adventures together.

Here's a Monday Morning Update (click for bigger) -

New house outside:

Enjoying some shade:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Collateral Damage posted:

Time to introduce some hawks in the area.

But what will you introduce to kill the overpopulation of hawks? And then to kill that?

In the end, I hope the final thing that kills things are tasty.

Seagulls are the worst and should be made illegal. Same with geese.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone face an internal dilemma when a user follows up after an inappropriately short amount of time? You have to choose, do you respond that day, as you planned, or do you be a dick and intentionally delay responding so as to not accidentally reinforce that behavior by appearing to reward it?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CitizenKain posted:

New project manager seems to think that writing a schedule down and marking it on a calendar means things will happen exactly like that. On one hand, its kind of adorable to have that confidence and positivity, but it is also pretty aggravating. We are rolling out some wireless equipment and are having a tough time actually getting the equipment. The Aruba/HP merger seems to have hosed things up with our vendor's supply, so what used to show up in a week is now just ?????. PM just keeps assuming things will show up in a week, and then gets surprised when we mention we still don't have shipping info. Then they look at the calendar and ask if we'll still make it.

I tell people a schedule is just a list of poo poo that won't happen.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

captkirk posted:

Does anyone face an internal dilemma when a user follows up after an inappropriately short amount of time? You have to choose, do you respond that day, as you planned, or do you be a dick and intentionally delay responding so as to not accidentally reinforce that behavior by appearing to reward it?

Oh you mean getting an email immediately followed by a phone call asking if you got the email because it is urgent?

Everyone always thinks their issues trump everyone else's and you just have to keep things consistent between everyone.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Which one was the better one for shipping, Aruba or HP?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh you mean getting an email immediately followed by a phone call asking if you got the email because it is urgent?

Everyone always thinks their issues trump everyone else's and you just have to keep things consistent between everyone.

Not quite that bad. But say someone requests being added to a group at the end of the day, I come in the next day and before I've worked through my e-mail from overnight I have an e-mail asking for an update. Or someone requests a new development environment and within 24 hours I get an e-mail asking how it's going.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

captkirk posted:

The tickets/cases that has gone the longest without any input by anyone gets priority. If someone updates their ticket, it goes to the back of the queue.

This assumes you have a reasonable queue, so back of the queue is hours/next day away, not a week away... And won't apply if you are actively working the ticket/case, most of the time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dunno-Lars posted:

The tickets/cases that has gone the longest without any input by anyone gets priority. If someone updates their ticket, it goes to the back of the queue.

This assumes you have a reasonable queue, so back of the queue is hours/next day away, not a week away... And won't apply if you are actively working the ticket/case, most of the time.

I hate ticketing systems that work like this. Sometimes you have a critical issue, but you have some more data to add a priority ticket, but when you update it it gets sunk to the bottom.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I hate ticketing systems that work like this. Sometimes you have a critical issue, but you have some more data to add a priority ticket, but when you update it it gets sunk to the bottom.

Yeah, poo poo like that can happen. Which is why it's important that the queue is not to long, and you sort of have to read over new tickets as they come in, to catch critical stuff. It helps on unnecessary requests for updates though.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Ugh snapshot consolidation failure on a VM, a critical server of course. A whole day of make snapshot, delete, consolidate, repeat until it finally fixes itself :smith:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Sormus posted:

Settling down here a bit but yeat i definitely feel what you're trying to say here & i agree with it wholeheartedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Gulls are jerks, but to be fair we deserve it.