Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Then someone is going to make a MGSV mod for XCOM 2

So how many Fultons do we need for one supply ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always assumed that they went full Dr. Vahlen on everything they captured. I got the impression that they were basically XCOM except instead of trying to save the world they just want all the cool toys from the aliens so they can rule the world or whatever. So they've got their own research labs reverse engineering guns and dissecting aliens and whatnot.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Exalt specifically attacked aliens in order to try to get psychics from them, what they intend to do with said psychics is never explained and once again Bradford was in charge of that investigation...

Bradford..... you motherfucker... what are you hiding under that sweater, besides your shredded bod :love:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

"What is up everyone, DarkSydePhil here-" and I turned the video off

That's definitely one way not to play XCOM: being DSP

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

"EXALT had some good ideas, really"

Yeah, having bullet, laser and plasma proof business casual for one.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think Firaxis said they were unrelated to The Bureau but it just makes so much sense.

I could have sworn they said the opposite, that they were started by the remenants of the old XCOM.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 8, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, having bullet, laser and plasma proof business casual for one.

I could have sworn they said the opposite, that they were started by the remenants of the old XCOM.

Eh, let's just go with whatever's said in XCOM 2.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

"What is up everyone, DarkSydePhil here-" and I turned the video off

That's definitely one way not to play XCOM: being DSP

I think my favorite part is when he insists that a 98 percent chance to hit should never miss and that the game was lying to him.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Fintilgin posted:

I like EXALT mechanically, but they annoyed me narratively. It was just inane and distracting that they weren't linked to the aliens in some way. They were just a distraction you had to fight on the side. As though an alien invasion wasn't strong enough to carry the story on its own. EXALT should have been human cultists/alien sympathizers/fifth column, and maybe even had occasional mixed missions, where EXALT was backed up by some alien muscle.
I would have loved a Metal Slug 3 sort of deal. It would have been more satisfying if instead of you storming into the EXALT HQ to end them, they're ultimately betrayed by their foolishly misplaced trust in hostile aliens.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Eh, let's just go with whatever's said in XCOM 2.

SPOILER: nothing

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Elderbean posted:

I think my favorite part is when he insists that a 98 percent chance to hit should never miss and that the game was lying to him.

Assaults an alien base, wonders why there are so many aliens in it. Can't figure out how to open doors so he just keeps running right through them. Barely finishes any of his turns in cover then complains when his soldiers keep getting killed on crits. I wonder if this guy has trouble putting on his pants in the morning, too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Delsaber posted:

Assaults an alien base, wonders why there are so many aliens in it. Can't figure out how to open doors so he just keeps running right through them. Barely finishes any of his turns in cover then complains when his soldiers keep getting killed on crits. I wonder if this guy has trouble putting on his pants in the morning, too.
Yeah him never making his units take cover almost ever stood out.
As did missing in overwatch once and going "well, overwatch is worthless!" and then never using it again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Whoever made this hosed up by not using stroheim and his guile hair to complete the xcom joke

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah him never making his units take cover almost ever stood out.
As did missing in overwatch once and going "well, overwatch is worthless!" and then never using it again.

but also not doing anything else that might be useful...like...say...moving his assault somewhere closer to where aliens might be so the videogame shotgun might ever hit anything ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Elderbean posted:

Maybe don't actually watch it because everything DSP is involved with is a burning pile of trash

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I like watching videos people made to mock him. That he is insufferable is icing on the cake when he is being blatantly bad at a thing. See also: DSP plays Dark Souls

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe don't actually watch it because everything DSP is involved with is a burning pile of trash

I dunno, it's kind of funny in a sad way.

*Scout is standing right next to a Muton with no cover and dies instantly*
AWWWWW THAT'S HORSESHIT!

Ahahaha, I just got to the part where he can't open a door.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I don't get how he can't into guns. They're not that complicated. He must've seen how guns work in games and real life at some point. Then I remember he's DSP and that he's an idiot.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
I'm convinced that at this point every last one of DSP's viewers and "fans" are into it ironically. There cannot be one person alive who is genuinely entertained/charmed by him. Not even children.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why did EXALT go into battle when they were obviously better suited (heh) at financially and diplomatically screwing over XCOM.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

amuayse posted:

Why did EXALT go into battle when they were obviously better suited (heh) at financially and diplomatically screwing over XCOM.

exalt may not have been very smart

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
EXALT was supposedly made up of zealots.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ernie Muppari posted:

They are basically art affectionado freemason blueblood exclusively white guys who personally go into laser battle wearing business formal.

So :agreed:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
The one thing I want from TftD is the Geoscape with cyberpunk names. Though I doubt ADVENT would let them be around by then.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LotsBread posted:

The one thing I want from TftD is the Geoscape with cyberpunk names. Though I doubt ADVENT would let them be around by then.

Damned near everything in Terror from the Deep had some fancy new name didn't it

I know the technical reasons behind why they didnt do it but I still think it's really dumb that you have no vertical movement underwater unless you have the mag ion armor

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Perhaps EXALT were a false front organisation staffed with patsies who would pursue overt and easily traced actions which was unknowingly meant to distract XCOM from the *real* secret Illuminati organisation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

meant to distract XCOM from the *real* secret Illuminati organisation.

Welcome, Commander

e:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

I wonder if this guy has trouble putting on his pants in the morning, too.

How some people imagine a day in his shoes would be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buUM916QRJk

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, what's the deal with the Long War mod? Last time I checked every update would add new things and break others.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

LotsBread posted:

I want TFTD-tier music, it's by far my favorite of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6a7v7QgSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVUXCp8_jo

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Segmentation Fault posted:

EXALT are alien sympathizers IIRC. In Long War they get some aliens sometimes.
Exalt troopers can turn up in terror missions or on alien base assaults in Long War.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

pentyne posted:

So, what's the deal with the Long War mod? Last time I checked every update would add new things and break others.

I was wary about 15e being an 'unofficial' version put up when the lead developer goes on vacation, given a history of a few releases being dead-on-arrival, but I haven't seen any discussion of big issues in the two weeks it has been out and I just did a month without any incident.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

I could never get the TFTD music working, which probably ruined the experience for me in retrospect. Which may be good because said experience would have been creepy as gently caress.

fake edit: Also found this this video in the related videos.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I just discovered this, which is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzEz1MF9hk

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So dsp is Canon?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

ShineDog posted:

So dsp is Canon?

Knowing what you're talking about both annoys and amuses me.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Will human/alien love be explored further?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

amuayse posted:

Will human/alien love be explored further?

gently caress you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Michaellaneous posted:

gently caress you.

:wink:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

The problem with the air game is that you really can't use any serious tactics to win it. It's mostly RNG and some preparation.

In LW they wanted to make it a sacrifice - you're supposed to forgo tactical tech in favor of air poo poo. This doesn't really work because if your tactical game suffers you'll just get raped. Every started running into Mechtoids without chem grenades and stuff yet? Its not fun.

The air game should basically be about preparation and that's it. Currently it's just a bunch of bullshit.

It is about preparation and having the right goal. And the goal needs to be shoot down every single Scout no matter what and use those resources to bankroll improvements to the air game that let you move on to shooting down every small and medium UFO, then using all those resources, etc.

Buy 2 interceptors on March 1, and buy at least 1 satellite to hold in reserve. Rush Laser Cannons. Any time you have fewer than 2 Interceptors active on a continent, buy/transfer until you have 2 active. Never use Stingrays in the early months (because they are only good at shooting down UFOs that you should not be challenging).

Always use aggressive stance early. Never challenge any UFO unless you are certain you can shoot it down. That means at least 2 Avalanche Interceptors for a Scout, and at least 4 for a Raider. No other UFO types should be challenged early. Build replacement sats so you always have at least one in reserve.

Shooting down Scouts is really important. A single Scout shootdown is worth 100 spacebux minimum and dozens of each basic resource maximum plus ship components and experience. If you have missed a Scout because you didn't build as many interceptors as you could have or didn't have one available because it got damaged trying to shoot down a fighter that was on a hunt mission for your sat you are doing it wrong.

Sounds expensive? It is somewhat. In particular it costs a lot of cash, but few other resources. But the interesting thing is every Scout you shoot down contains 150-250 credits worth of resources (100 minimum if it explodes). Missing a scout is an opportunity loss of the same magnitude. Count up all those missed scouts every month and ask what you would have done with those resources.

And what about the tactical game? An air rush means you will have early lasers. By April and May you will have at least as many net resources as the average player has by not investing in the air war. So there is actually no "sacrifice" to make. The idea that LW forces this on players is one of the most pernicious myths about the mod. Except Lasers, there is no other tactical upgrade that makes more than a marginal improvement before June anyway.

The difference is that you are immune to a March sat hunt or broken scout interception. You are also free to sat rush because you can effectively defend new continents.

Narratively, it should be obvious that the number 1 priority of XCOM is shooting down UFOs.

edit.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

amuayse posted:

They didn't? They only went into battle because they got infiltrated by an undercover football player with Guile hair. In other words,

Ernie Muppari posted:

• Locked thread