Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

i like the justification for a 980 by using three 2560 monitors

don't you have a wife to uh

n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm the $5.5B valuation for the company that makes Clash of Clans.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

nsfw http://oglaf.com/threnody/

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

what the gently caress

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

http://consumerist.com/2015/06/05/google-issues-first-monthly-report-on-traffic-incidents-involving-its-self-driving-cars

turns out that reality is in fact not a simulation following perfect rules, and people do unexpected things that cause accidents. epic fail for the goog.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Citizen Tayne posted:

http://consumerist.com/2015/06/05/google-issues-first-monthly-report-on-traffic-incidents-involving-its-self-driving-cars

turns out that reality is in fact not a simulation following perfect rules, and people do unexpected things that cause accidents. epic fail for the goog.

The article herein clearly states that none of the accidents are the fault of the google car. These accidents would have occurred regardless of whether it was an Autonomous Vehicle or a regular drivered one. I hardly see how this is an 'epic fail' for Google.

Apr 7, 2003

Shakespearean Beef posted:

The article herein clearly states that none of the accidents are the fault of the google car. These accidents would have occurred regardless of whether it was an Autonomous Vehicle or a regular drivered one. I hardly see how this is an 'epic fail' for Google.

a human being knows that people are going to run signs, change lanes without signaling, and generally break the rules. doesn't look like Google's self-driving cars can compensate for that. total fail.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Citizen Tayne posted:

a human being knows that people are going to run signs, change lanes without signaling, and generally break the rules. doesn't look like Google's self-driving cars can compensate for that. total fail.

but they were mostly the car getting rear ended so idk how that would be preventedb y a person?

Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

but they were mostly the car getting rear ended so idk how that would be preventedb y a person?

moving the car when you see some rear end in a top hat looming in your rear view? that's standard defensive driving, which Google's fail cars are incapable of I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EVGA Longoria posted:

a human being knows

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

EVGA Longoria posted:

probably by a person not suddenly freaking out and braking. ditto for the sideswiping, it's called defensive driving

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my secret was always to get so shitfaced drunk I didn't care

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Citizen Tayne posted:

moving the car when you see some rear end in a top hat looming in your rear view? that's standard defensive driving, which Google's fail cars are incapable of I guess.

defensive driving requires some basic level of strategy, which clown cars equipped with weak ai suck at

Apr 7, 2003

Google's self-driving cars suffer from the same problems communism did; workable in a world where every car on the road is a self-driving car, but a complete fail in a world with a mix of different car systems. smh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
there has never been an incident of a Google car colliding with another Google car

efb

Apr 7, 2003

imagine a motionless, compliant google clown car being crushed into dust by a confused grandpa in a Buick forever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Stringent posted:

there has never been an incident of a Google car colliding with another Google car

efb

i wonder if they've ever had ones driving anywhere near each other

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Citizen Tayne posted:

imagine a motionless, compliant google clown car being crushed into dust by a confused grandpa in a Buick forever.

hey, i drive a Buick!

:getin:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I'm the $10B valuation for the company that makes Farmville.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

so wait you're stopped at a light and someone is coming up behind you fast; you run the light? 99/100 the person stops in time just fine

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shakespearean Beef posted:

Ah hmm yess and furthermore 'you're mother'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Condiv posted:

probably by a person not suddenly freaking out and braking. ditto for the sideswiping, it's called defensive driving

do the goog cars do anything besides brake when presented with an obstacle?

having a car which by all accounts drives like a grandma and has near instantaneous ability to apply the brakes at maximum when presented with anything strange seems like it would cause a lot of people to follow close out of impatience and rear end it a bunch when it sees a piece of cardboard on the road and slams to a stop instead of just going around or over it like a normal person.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

normal people freak out and brake suddenly too, its not a uniquely google problem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i am of course assuming that the panic braking is relatively rare, this may be an incorrect assumption

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Citizen Tayne posted:

this pleases me

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

a human being knows

http://oglaf.com/descent/

^ totally safe for work, except for the words.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i don't know where else to post this

http://nickcraver.com/desktop-build/

why such expensive cases and also why the ethernet thing. instead of just having a cj make a cable for a penny. also why such sick graphics card for programming. ??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Google's self-driving cars suffer from the same problems communism did; workable in a world where every car on the road is a self-driving car, but a complete fail in a world with a mix of different car systems. smh

i'm the human ability to avoid gettin t-boned by a dumbass running a stopsign

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

http://oglaf.com/descent/

^ totally safe for work, except for the words.

thinking outside the box right there

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
"humans are terrible at driving and do not follow the rules and often smash into other cars doing these things, but it's the cars driving perfectly that are the problem"

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

cannot wait for the day when it is illegal for a human to operate a multi ton machine capable of moving fast enough to kill other humans instantly

Apr 7, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

cannot wait for the day when it is illegal for a human to operate a multi ton machine capable of moving fast enough to kill other humans instantly

I cannot wait for the day when it is illegal for you to post.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dessert Rose posted:

"humans are terrible at driving and do not follow the rules and often smash into other cars doing these things, but it's the cars driving perfectly that are the problem"

goog cars have been in double the accidents per mile than the average human (even counting their cumulative miles). this indicates that google cars are causing accidents via their behavior

hobbesmaster posted:

i am of course assuming that the panic braking is relatively rare, this may be an incorrect assumption

i wouldn't know for sure, but i'd assume it's not rare considering their accident rate

Apr 7, 2003

wow, what a fail google.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dessert Rose posted:

*is mowed down by Google car succumbing to an off-by-one-error*

*family gets to sue Google, Inc. instead of some guy*

*family loses, is poor and destitute, mother turns to prostitution, children beg in the streets*

Why do you hate families, Dessert Rose?

Apr 7, 2003

I can't wait until a google "engineer" accidentally flips the transit mode on the hidden internal Google Maps app to Transit and one of those cute little cars squishes someone into paste trying to get down the escalator to use BART.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm curious if they're even testing these things in anything but the best circumstances (good sunny weather, no rain, wind, or ice, clean streets, etc.). i remember them having trouble with construction zones and locking up because of them

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

quote:

"Our safety drivers routinely see people weaving in and out of their lanes; we’ve spotted people reading books, and even one playing a trumpet,"

i'm the idiot practicing trumpet while commuting to work

how does that even work? was he driving with his knees?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

*is mowed down by Google car succumbing to an off-by-one-error*

*family gets to sue Google, Inc. instead of some guy*

*family loses, is poor and destitute, mother turns to prostitution, children beg in the streets*

Why do you hate families, Dessert Rose?

gently caress families, all hail the technocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait until a google "engineer" accidentally flips the transit mode on the hidden internal Google Maps app to Transit and one of those cute little cars squishes someone into paste trying to get down the escalator to use BART.

lol

• Locked thread