Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Stannis's situation was actually shown to be getting desperate; when Davos was going to see Shireen and give her the stag, we saw soldiers being cold, hungry, and shellshocked. I read the scene with Davos and Stannis as Davos asking three times for Shireen to be spared ("Someone else could go! I could take your family with me! I could take just Shireen with me!"), and then I guess he left hoping that Stannis would hold off until reinforcements arrived and then decide the sacrifice wasn't necessary.

I would've liked to see Stannis sacrifice himself instead, but I don't think Shireen knew how to conduct a siege, I'm not sure "OK, so I'm going to kill myself and you guys will follow my daughter and Davos instead" would've worked, and I believe Melisandre thinks Stannis specifically is the chosen one so I don't think she would've liked that, either.

I still... I mean, even before this episode he had had people killed and stuff, so it's not like he's a cool dude I'd like to have a beer with, but I still like him in the sense that I enjoy that type of character and I like the show more because of him.

The perfect stealth raid by 20 good men was definitely dumb as hell, though. (Edit: And the combat roll, and the "HE'S ALSO A PEDOPHILE", and the infinite Harpies eventually remembering they had throwing spears and then only using them on the dragon...)

I definitely think the Oberyn widow lady is up to something chatting with Jaime, possibly on orders from wheelchair prince guy. He hasn't said he doesn't want Oberyn avenged; he's said he doesn't want to go to war.

Lemur Crisis fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vintersorg posted:

People need to stop projecting their stupid feelings on characters and acting like it's the most terrible poo poo in the world just because your little darling died or had bad things happen to em.

BAD WRITING!~~~~

No, some are just acting like loving babies because things didnt go their way in magic fantasy land.

:rolleyes:

I am so sick of people coming into this thread who clearly don't know how to watch and criticize television.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

WastedJoker posted:

Dany just loving left the others behind, ffs.

Tyrion will recruit the Sons of the Harpy and use them as his unstoppable army. They can kill the greatest swordsman and soldiers the world has ever seen with daggers, they'll take the Seven Kingdoms in a few weeks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pyzza Rouge posted:

"Okay, you know what? This has to stop. I just got a script saying Ramsay rapeflays the Night's King. That's not even the worst part. When I grilled Dave about it, he told me he wouldn't change it because 'he would know'. So, starting today, Iwan Rheon and his crucifix are banned from the writers' room."

But we were all starting to like him :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CeeJee posted:

Tyrion will recruit the Sons of the Harpy and use them as his unstoppable army. They can kill the greatest swordsman and soldiers the world has ever seen with daggers, they'll take the Seven Kingdoms in a few weeks.

I did like how Tyrion took Dario's neck-shanking advice to heart.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
The Legend of Korra did the stadium ambush scene much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RX3Jv3bvyrk#t=727 @12:17

At least you get to see where all the masks and weapons came from.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dear D&D,

Nobody cares about Ollie. Please stop include Ollie reaction shots in every episode. Please stop having scenes between Ollie and other characters. Ollie is Roz without the banging tits. In other words, he's worthless.

Sincerely,
Every Game of Thrones Fan in the World

Jesto posted:

I was thinking about Korra when Dany and Missy held hands and was like, "on a shittier show, these two would be secret lesbians now."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenmovement posted:

I think Jerusalem said it last week, that next weeks episode, Mother's Mercy, will probably have Danny executing noble households publically.

Arya will steal a face without Jaqen's permission. I'm guessing it will be that terminally ill girl that died in episode 2 or 3. She will go to the whorehouse and offer her services, knowing full well that the brothel doesn't have reams of children available, and she will be hired on the spot. Meryn will take her out the back, and she will murder him in a fairly conventional way before revealing who she is. Rape is a 50/50 prospect. Arya wont die because Melissandre has predicted that she will murder a shitload of people and Mel has proven to be pretty strong in the predictions game.

Grey scale sends you mad. Maybe Jorah has already started to lose it a bit. What was his plan if he hadnt gotten to be a hero during the Harpy ambush? Danny gonna get fantasy leprosy. Damny gonna lose her mind and become the mad queen.

The dragons are badly trained children, it shouldnt really be that suprising that a couple of spears can kinda gently caress him up

Arya doesn't have to steal a face. She doesn't even know how to put them on. She's just going to go do it rawdog.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RX3Jv3bvyrk#t=727 @12:17

At least you get to see where all the masks and weapons came from.

That was dumb and it sucked and it wasn't good.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I thought it was dumb how Davos immediately deduced what Stannis' plan was with Shireen. How the hell did he figure it out by turning his head and looking at Melisandre?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Sheep-Goats posted:

That was dumb and it sucked and it wasn't good.

And yet still better than 'Surprise! Army of golden masked murderers with weapons everywhere, including right behind Daeny!'

The entire ambush scene would've been redeemed if I saw Harpies pulling spears out of popcorn buckets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paperback Writer posted:

I thought it was dumb how Davos immediately deduced what Stannis' plan was with Shireen. How the hell did he figure it out by turning his head and looking at Melisandre?

Probably from how all of her other plans involve leeches, blood, and/or fire.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
All you Stannis complainers are blind to the fact that a supernatural army of the undead is marching south to extinct the human race save a few for breeding new baby white walkers. You act like Stannis is out to be king and live the high life. He is about stopping and apocalyptic extinction event. The stakes don't get higher than that. It is Sophie's choice but instead of between two kids it is between his kid and the human race, of which his kid would die anyway. Really about as much as a choice as the kitchin girl had. Hey girl you want to make a copper coin to buy some food? Come with me.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Arya doesn't have to steal a face. She doesn't even know how to put them on. She's just going to go do it rawdog.

Ok, there are a couple of ways this can go down:

1. She just does it rawdog. This is the most boring and also means that the paedo thing is literally just to add a pointless layer of bad on top of Trant's character. She waits for Trant to come back tommorow night and murders him when he's getting busy with a 13 year old.

2. She just goes in with her own face, goes out the back with Trant under the pretence of sex and murders him. This will be dumb because they have shown several reaction shots of Trant looking at her. It really stretches belief that he wont recognize her, she was a pretty big deal and he a major career gently caress up on his own part. He might recognize her, decide that he's horny and doesn't care, but there's no way he doesn't realize that she's there to kill him.

3. She steals a face. This is also dumb because Jaqen hasn't been shown showing her how it works yet. I still think this is the most likely because it's less worse than the other options and the face stealing has to factor in as a useful plot device at some point.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Stannis and Selyse's reactions are supposed to be the opposite of what we've seen so far, to highlight how blind he's become to his own ambition and to the cult that worships him. The point is that even a cold, mean woman like Selyse would want to stop this, but Stannis, a person who is technically 'better' than her, who loves his daughter, is too set in his ways to save her.

If Selyse is happy with the burning while Stannis and his guards object, then Stannis is some weak guy trapped in a cult. But he's not. He's willingly crossed the line. There's no going back now. Presumably this is either the end of his arc (he'll die soon) or the beginning of him becoming a full-blown antagonist to the main characters.

That's fine if that's what it was supposed to be, but the show didn't really earn that moment. In this episode they act completely differently from everything we've seen them do up until now, and the show does not lead them there. I understand what the plot is supposed to be, but plot doesn't give them a free pass on character development. They may have done a surface-level job of leading Stannis there, but they did absolutely nothing with Selyse's character to justify the way she acted in that scene.

Every scene up until that one moment portrayed Selyse as having almost no affection for her daughter and resentful of her very existence. She is also shown to be a true believer in the Lord of Light. There were no scenes that took her from that characterization to this new characterization of not giving a poo poo about the Lord of Light and not wanting to sacrifice her daughter. It is completely antithetical to her character.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Marky Marx posted:

Even if Melisandre didn't set those fires in the camp, she sure as hell saw it coming and let it happen. She'd been looking for an excuse to 420 blaze princess erryday for awhile now.

Any theories as to what her real long term goal is? (no spoilers). Is just just a religious freak that wants power via Stanis, or is it something else?

She should really team up with Ramsey, they both like murdering innocent people.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

ErIog posted:

That's fine if that's what it was supposed to be, but the show didn't really earn that moment. In this episode they act completely differently from everything we've seen them do up until now, and the show does not lead them there. I understand what the plot is supposed to be, but plot doesn't give them a free pass on character development. They may have done a surface-level job of leading Stannis there, but they did absolutely nothing with Selyse's character to justify the way she acted in that scene.

Every scene up until that one moment portrayed Selyse as having almost no affection for her daughter and resentful of her very existence. She is also shown to be a true believer in the Lord of Light. There were no scenes that took her from that characterization to this new characterization of not giving a poo poo about the Lord of Light and not wanting to sacrifice her daughter. It is completely antithetical to her character.
It's almost as if watching someone ritually murder your own child can change your perspective on things.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Any theories as to what her real long term goal is? (no spoilers). Is just just a religious freak that wants power via Stanis, or is it something else?
Maybe she really does see the chosen one in those fires of hers, and has set about removing the Baratheon line as an obstacle.

In that case, just one more to go.

Magical Zero posted:

It's almost as if watching someone ritually murder your own child can change your perspective on things.
Beep boop we've been given no indication that she, a mother, has had these emotions before now, therefore they are surprising and illogical beep boop.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 8, 2015

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Look, it isn't out of character for Selyse to suddenly want to save Shireen. Sure she projected her self hatred onto Shireen for years and sure she was a fanatic, but in the end she was still just a screwed up person and even a screwed up person will respond to the tortured screams of a terrified child for her mother. She always had the potential to come around, her child screaming for her finally did it, but it was too late. Stannis on the other hand never wavers in a decision made, and it shows he really truly believes he is a hero by making this abrahamic sacrifice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenmovement posted:

2. She just goes in with her own face, goes out the back with Trant under the pretence of sex and murders him. This will be dumb because they have shown several reaction shots of Trant looking at her. It really stretches belief that he wont recognize her, she was a pretty big deal and he a major career gently caress up on his own part. He might recognize her, decide that he's horny and doesn't care, but there's no way he doesn't realize that she's there to kill him.

They showed one and a half shots of Trant looking at her and it in both of them he was like Holy geez I wanna lick and stick that. You think he recognized her and then was like "oh nevermind the Stark kid gotta follow this banker around." It doesn't stretch belief that he doesn't recognize her at all, it's been years.

Face stealing is dumb because she's already going to misuse the poison Jacq gave her and he's just going to go "lol many faced got don't give a poo poo anyway." It's just some unnecessary horseshit you came up with and if it does happen it's really stupid.

Jesto posted:

The entire ambush scene would've been redeemed if I saw Harpies pulling spears out of popcorn buckets.

Why can't everthing remind me of my Japanese cartoons. I mean more than it already does. Why.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Magical Zero posted:

Pretty much this.

tooterfish posted:

Beep boop we've been given no indication that she, a mother, has had these emotions before now, therefore they are surprising and illogical beep boop.

And this.

This was the proverbial "straw" (more like a loving haystack) that broke the camels back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

I was thinking about Korra when Dany and Missy held hands and was like, "on a shittier show, these two would be secret lesbians now."

You should read the books.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Man I was absolutely convinced that Stannis was going to chop Melisandre's head off. I guess go Team Dany or Team Jon? I'd accept Team a Greyjoy at this point. This show is really going to make me root for Littlefinger, isn't it?

Is this really how you think?

Good lord.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Blazing Ownager posted:

That whole scene at the end seemed paced very, very oddly.

Like there was this big "Oh my God are they going to kill everyone desperate battle?" that suddenly turned into "Dany has a moment with her Dragons." Posing and majestically talking to the thing while it's getting hammered with loving spears was just absurd, followed by her "Later, bitches!" escape. I thought she was going to come around for an airstrike.

I just kept screaming "Hey, dumbshits in revolt! Throw a spear at the woman controlling the Dragon, not the big gently caress-off Dragon."

This, totally. The entire scene once the Harpy's attack is so oddly paced and awkward and weird and just, bleh. Exactly like that other Harpy attack scene.

Once the Harpy's circle them they ....................... just stand there. They had the numbers 20 to 1 and they just sort of awkwardly sit there for like 2 full minutes.

And the whole mounting and riding the dragon thing was handled so cheesily and had terrible compositing. I mean this is like my favorite series of all time and that was a literal "head in my hands" moment.

I came into work this morning and everyone was talking about it and I was like "holy poo poo was that not the worst? So cheesy and terrible special f/x."

Everybody just sort of stared at me. They all thought it was amazing and one person even said it was "the best moment of the series" ... I think it's time for me to move on.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Sheep-Goats posted:

It doesn't stretch belief that he doesn't recognize her at all, it's been years.

I had a guy wander up to me in a pub the other day. He knew my name. He recognized me from Kindergarden. I'm 30.

Meryn Trant saw this kid basically every day for a couple of months, running around training with her cat chasing and water dancing. He then hosed up capturing her and the entire kingdom had standing orders to find her asap. If he can't remember Arya he must have some sort of disability.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is this really how you think?

Good lord.

I dunno. I guess? What's the dillio?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BonoMan posted:

This, totally. The entire scene once the Harpy's attack is so oddly paced and awkward and weird and just, bleh. Exactly like that other Harpy attack scene.

Once the Harpy's circle them they ....................... just stand there. They had the numbers 20 to 1 and they just sort of awkwardly sit there for like 2 full minutes.

To be fair, the people in the gold masks are rich people who have been stabbing people in the back. Face to face fighting and confrontation isn't their strong suit. They just randomly charged at the group, and got cut down by Daario or Jorah. One of them got killed by Tyrion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I dunno. I guess? What's the dillio?

What do you do if you watch a sports game and don't have a strong opinion about either team. Who do you root for then?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not this thread specifically, but i'm seeing a lot of people else where on the internet that want to believe very strongly that George R.R. Martin has nothing to do with the new HBO content that isn't in the books. Stuff like Shireen's sacrifice though was his idea. It's just interesting to see some of the reactions else where on the internet. They tend to be different from this thread but not by much.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Red posted:

To be fair, the people in the gold masks are rich people who have been stabbing people in the back. Face to face fighting and confrontation isn't their strong suit. They just randomly charged at the group, and got cut down by Daario or Jorah. One of them got killed by Tyrion.

Yup! but the thing is, it was clear they were losing their nerve and each attack was being fairly neatly ended by Dany's guards. Which is why it was weird she started to hold hands and close her eyes as if she was giving up....it all seemed very in control.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Not this thread specifically, but i'm seeing a lot of people else where on the internet that want to believe very strongly that George R.R. Martin has nothing to do with the new HBO content that isn't in the books. Stuff like Shireen's sacrifice though was his idea.

Well, at least that's what D&D want us to think. It might be a ruse to turn the hate away from themselves to GRRM saying "but he told us we have to burn Shireen!"

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

zoux posted:

What do you do if you watch a sports game and don't have a strong opinion about either team. Who do you root for then?

Comparing sports to works of fiction is apples and oranges. Although it certainly does help my fan heart knowing that Cole Hamels carries a tiny dog around in a backpack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

Yup! but the thing is, it was clear they were losing their nerve and each attack was being fairly neatly ended by Dany's guards. Which is why it was weird she started to hold hands and close her eyes as if she was giving up....it all seemed very in control.

They were still pretty outnumbered though, I don't think they would have lasted if Drogon hadn't showed up. That said, the pacing and editing of that entire fight sequence was weird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many Discount Spartans are still alive now?

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

I kind of feel like people have forgotten that the WHITE DOOM OF MAN is marching south like right now.

Stannis probably feels like he's trading his daughter for the rest of the human race, and honestly, if it pays off I would be grateful for it and so would you. Or do you prefer DOOM BY ZOMBIES?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RBA Starblade posted:

How many Discount Spartans are still alive now?

99.9% of whoever came into Mereen. Besides the arena battle and a skirmish or two in an alley, they haven't had many losses to the harpies.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Chonchon posted:

I kind of feel like people have forgotten that the WHITE DOOM OF MAN is marching south like right now.

Stannis probably feels like he's trading his daughter for the rest of the human race, and honestly, if it pays off I would be grateful for it and so would you. Or do you prefer DOOM BY ZOMBIES?

I do not prefer anything. That is the wrong way to watch television.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I do not prefer anything. That is the wrong way to watch television.

Then why are you so concerned with who to root for.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

hiddenmovement posted:

Ok, there are a couple of ways this can go down:

1. She just does it rawdog. This is the most boring and also means that the paedo thing is literally just to add a pointless layer of bad on top of Trant's character. She waits for Trant to come back tommorow night and murders him when he's getting busy with a 13 year old.

3. She steals a face. This is also dumb because Jaqen hasn't been shown showing her how it works yet. I still think this is the most likely because it's less worse than the other options and the face stealing has to factor in as a useful plot device at some point.

I expect it to go down in a way that at least has tension on whether or not Arya gets sexually assaulted, or whether she's willing to let that happen to get him.

Or that she goes that route and things get out of hand. For shock value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't even know what cockles are but I really want some

• Locked thread