Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

People quote this a lot because it sounds funny, but it was, at that time, factually true right? For that decision, the Supreme Court ruling on factual innocence was novel.

Which would have been fine as a historical observation in a concurring opinion, but Scalia was dissenting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think I would approach it as a violation of the establishment clause.

The law merely declaring him real would probably be OK, it's the enabling legislation allowing a raft of additional police powers to ensure compliance with the "naughty or nice" list that might cause trouble. Turning over surveillance data to supernatural foreigners would also be problematic under Curtiss-Wright, though I suppose he and his elves could be granted citizenships and security clearances.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

VitalSigns posted:

Which would have been fine as a historical observation in a concurring opinion, but Scalia was dissenting...
If we think his dissent is wrong, shouldn't we be quoting the parts that we think are wrong, rather than the parts that are objectively true?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

If we think his dissent is wrong, shouldn't we be quoting the parts that we think are wrong, rather than the parts that are objectively true?

I consider it beyond dispute that the American legal system has always viewed the execution of someone who is actually innocent as forbidden by the Constitution.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I consider it beyond dispute that the American legal system has always viewed the execution of someone who is actually innocent as forbidden by the Constitution.
I think this is a fair argument, but the quote isn't about what the Constitution forbids or even what the "American legal system" views, it's about what the Supreme Court has historically held:
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is "actually" innocent."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

I think this is a fair argument, but the quote isn't about what the Constitution forbids or even what the "American legal system" views, it's about what the Supreme Court has historically held:
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is "actually" innocent."

It is clearly established constitutional law that the constitution forbids the execution of someone who is innocent. That the Supreme Court had never applied that bedrock principle in a certain specific way is irrelevant: if Scalia were now to write the same passage, but tack on the word "female" to defendant, it would then be technically true in a certain sense since the Supreme Court only held it about a male defendant, and just as insane.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It is clearly established constitutional law that the constitution forbids the execution of someone who is innocent. That the Supreme Court had never applied that bedrock principle in a certain specific way is irrelevant: if Scalia were now to write the same passage, but tack on the word "female" to defendant, it would then be technically true in a certain sense since the Supreme Court only held it about a male defendant, and just as insane.
Allow me to rephrase, if we think Scalia's dissent is wrong, shouldn't we be quoting the wrong parts and not the parts that are objectively true, even if irrelevant? "There is a true but irrelevant sentence in Scalia's dissent" isn't very damning.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

twodot posted:

Allow me to rephrase, if we think Scalia's dissent is wrong, shouldn't we be quoting the wrong parts and not the parts that are objectively true, even if irrelevant? "There is a true but irrelevant sentence in Scalia's dissent" isn't very damning.

They're quoting the part that's wrong. Scalia says there's nothing prohibitng the execution of an innocent person and he is dead (not literally, sadly) wrong on that. Scalia's just a goddamn psychopath.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

They're quoting the part that's wrong. Scalia says there's nothing prohibitng the execution of an innocent person and he is dead (not literally, sadly) wrong on that. Scalia's just a goddamn psychopath.
They are not. The bolded sentence says the Court has never held there's no prohibition. The next sentence says the question is unresolved despite opportunities to resolve it. Scalia's ultimate conclusion is what you're saying, but it's not actually in the quote.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

That is the part that's wrong. It is not "true but irrelevant". It assumes and concludes a number of things are correct that are obviously incorrect: (1) that the question is not "does the Constitution forbid the execution of an innocent man", that (2) the Constitution does not forbid the execution of an innocent man, and (3) that the Supreme Court has never clearly ruled if the execution of an innocent man is repugnant to the Constitution.

The quoted phrase is legally wrong, and not only is it legally wrong it makes abundantly clear that Scalia has an abhorrent view of the law and of justice: that the execution of an innocent person is constitutionally permissible provided that specific procedural steps were followed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I mean, the basic thing that's wrong is you can write that sentence and not think "my reasoning here has led me to a conclusion so insane that I've clearly erred somewhere, I should go back and find it".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

They are not. The bolded sentence says the Court has never held there's no prohibition. The next sentence says the question is unresolved despite opportunities to resolve it. Scalia's ultimate conclusion is what you're saying, but it's not actually in the quote.

He's using that to support his conclusion, he's not just idly musing on it at tea on a summer's day and then somehow it ended up in his opinion, free-floating and unconnected to his argument.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

He's using that to support his conclusion, he's not just idly musing on it at tea on a summer's day and then somehow it ended up in his opinion, free-floating and unconnected to his argument.
If you want to engage with his dissent as an argument and claim that his premises don't support his conclusion, I think that's a pretty reasonable activity. If you want to quote five sentences, bold one (which is factually correct), and follow up with "So good." you aren't doing that.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Who said I was trying to engage with Scalia's argument?

Someone posted a made up quote. I posted the real quote. Which is so good.

I didn't realize that there was a more in-depth conversation about federal habeas proceedings going on where my one-liner really brought down the conversation.

Oh wait.

edit: if you wanted to have that conversation, I'd say that SCOTUS has unduly narrowed the concept of "clearly established Federal law, as determined by the Supreme Court of the United States," and Scalia's comment of the century is built upon that flawed characterization of the federal habeas statute

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 7, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

6-3 in Zivotofsky that the Executive has exclusive authority to recognize a foreign country and thus Congress can't make the State department issue passports with Jerusalem indicated as being Israel.

Scalia, Alito, and Roberts are very grumpy about it saying passports are not recognition and Thomas has his own concurring in part opinion which goes into Thomas legal theory land.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
There's also a whole section of both Thomas's and Scalia's opinons about why the other is wrong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Scalia's dissents contain the best tantrums.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hobbesmaster posted:

I enjoy, immensely, that he basically laid out the strategy for gay marriage last round. Part of me wants it to be a masters class in trolling.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I am so very looking forward to his Obergefell v. Hodges dissent.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
So I am guessing that we won't get Robert's descent into the seventh circle/apotheosis (depending on your view) until later this week?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeroisanumber posted:

I am so very looking forward to his Obergefell v. Hodges dissent.

I'm expecting a bag of bloody paper shreddings damp with tears and sweat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deceptive Thinker posted:

There's also a whole section of both Thomas's and Scalia's opinons about why the other is wrong

This is pretty good, you never see this and it's so neat to see them snipe at each other.

Also, Scalia does his mad "I dissent" instead of the standard "I respectfully dissent", despite the fact if Bush was still President he'd be on the other side.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When is the Obamacare decision expected again?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

When is the Obamacare decision expected again?

June 29th (because that's the last day to issue orders without extending the term) because the most controversial decisions tend to come out last (because they're contentious and important so everyone wants to polish their opinions as much as possible, and the less charitable interpretation that they want to drop that opinion then get the hell out of dodge ASAP but they'd be stuck in DC if they announced it early). It could, however, be announced at any time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What are the current odds that it gets hosed?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PhazonLink posted:

The prediction market is giving it a 30% chance that they limit subsidies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

I think, and I think the general opinion is, that the subsidies are more likely to be upheld than not but that it's at most like a 60-40 preposition (edit: guess not!). The reasons the subsidies will likely be upheld are (1) this is a much less plausible argument than the one Roberts blinked at in the first Obamacare case and (2) while Kennedy was gung-ho about killing Obamacare, he has problems with the approach laid out here giving too much power to the Federal government to coerce states just after he scored a significant win on that front with the Medicaid expansion and (3) this is a really, really, really dumb argument and even the conservatives will have some issues keeping a straight face and making sure a decision here wouldn't come back to haunt them next time there's ambiguity in a law.

The counter-arguments are: (1) Four conservative justices voted to hear the case, which means one of Kennedy or Roberts wanted to hear it, and that those four justices thought there was a chance they'd win (2) This would let Roberts carve off part of Obamacare without having to sign onto striking down every single word like the rest wanted to do in the previous case (3) Kennedy probably voted to hear this case and his coercion arguments raised at the hearing could just as easily be converted into some way he strikes down the subsidies and then strikes something else down as coercive, or he could just go gently caress it, down with Obamacare.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Would there be an argument for the four conservative justices wanting to set a precedent that financial/economic incentives via government aren't sufficiently coercive to be considered suit-worthy and therefore they can point back at this ruling for when people bring arguments about financial/economic coercion via corporation and say "we've already gone over the question of whether the dangling of financial incentives before a person is considered improperly coercive and found it not to be even in the scope of the government offering the incentive, it would follow that a corporation, which is not under the constitutional restrictions as a government, is not improperly coercive when they offer incentives for certain behavior and it is the finding that x employee made y choice of free will rather than under financial coercion and is fully liable while their employer is free of liability."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Would there be an argument for the four conservative justices wanting to set a precedent that financial/economic incentives via government aren't sufficiently coercive to be considered suit-worthy and therefore they can point back at this ruling for when people bring arguments about financial/economic coercion via corporation and say "we've already gone over the question of whether the dangling of financial incentives before a person is considered improperly coercive and found it not to be even in the scope of the government offering the incentive, it would follow that a corporation, which is not under the constitutional restrictions as a government, is not improperly coercive when they offer incentives for certain behavior and it is the finding that x employee made y choice of free will rather than under financial coercion and is fully liable while their employer is free of liability."

They just held the opposite to require medicaid expansion to be limited. The coercion issue is the reading advanced by the anti-subsidies people would offer states a pretty coercive choice: make an exchange, or (likely) face a death spiral of your insurance market because all the Obamacare regulations would apply (e.g. guaranteed issue) except the mandate (because there's an exception when there's no affordable policy). Kennedy would not want to give the federal government the power to set such a coercive choice on a state - but he also doesn't want Obamacare to stand.

I think the Robertsian thing would be to rule in favor of the government precisely because the anti-subsidies argument is unconstitutionally coercive so the Supreme Court must adopt the alternative response, and have a new weapon to strike down laws as violating "states rights" in the future.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
which is all bullshit anyway because this doesn't even fail Chevron without failing the laugh test

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shifty Pony posted:

6-3 in Zivotofsky that the Executive has exclusive authority to recognize a foreign country and thus Congress can't make the State department issue passports with Jerusalem indicated as being Israel.

Scalia, Alito, and Roberts are very grumpy about it saying passports are not recognition and Thomas has his own concurring in part opinion which goes into Thomas legal theory land.

If a US citizen was born in Jerusalem, and the US doesn't recognize Jersulaem Israel, what does go on the passport then?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DOOP posted:

If a US citizen was born in Jerusalem, and the US doesn't recognize Jersulaem Israel, what does go on the passport then?

Probably just "Jerusalem".

Comedy option: Aelia Capitolina

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DOOP posted:

Jerusalem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solomon Grundy's Temple of the Rock/Al-Rocksa Mosque of Fame

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

NY Times posted:

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — Millions of people are waiting anxiously for the Supreme Court to decide the fate of President Obama’s health care law with a ruling this month on health insurance subsidies. But David M. King, a plaintiff in the case, is not among them.

Mr. King, 64, said recently that he was reasonably confident he would prevail in his challenge to the subsidies, a central element of the Affordable Care Act.

“We have a good chance of winning,” he said in an interview at his home here.

Mr. King and three other Virginia residents are challenging the payment of subsidies in states like Virginia that depend on the federal insurance marketplace. They contend that the 2010 health care law allows subsidies only in states that establish their own marketplaces.

But Mr. King said that he was not really worried about the outcome of the case, King v. Burwell, because as a Vietnam veteran, he has access to medical care through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

When he sued the government in September 2013, Mr. King filed a declaration stating that he was not eligible for health insurance from the government or any employer. But in the last few months, he said in the interview, he went to an outpatient clinic for veterans in Fredericksburg and received a veteran identification card so he could qualify for discounts at Lowe’s stores. Lowe’s, the home improvement company, offers discounts to honor the service of veterans.

At the clinic, Mr. King said, he also received a physical examination. “I’m eligible for V.A. care,” he said.

I can't even, jesus, what a contemptible piece of poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they somehow punt on standing...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

hobbesmaster posted:

If they somehow punt on standing...

My thoughts exactly. There is no harm being done.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

There have been more than a few articles on left websites about how none of the plaintiffs have demonstrated valid standing, yet the government hasn't really hit on that so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the plaintiffs have similar problems with standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rygar201 posted:

There have been more than a few articles on left websites about how none of the plaintiffs have demonstrated valid standing, yet the government hasn't really hit on that so far.

My understanding based on some commentary I recall reading is that the government would rather see the issue dead than to keep fighting it until someone has standing, so they're willfully turning a blind eye to the standing issue.